PDA

View Full Version : FL beach recommendations

Johnie
13-09-2008, 02:29 AM
I have to plan vacations the rest of the year around Alysia's school calendar. SO.....looks like we're going somewhere spring break (which is Easter week). I have an exchange week with RCI and was looking into going to a FL beach for a few days and then going to WDW for a few days.

Anyway, what is a good beach in FL? Also, can anyone tell me what section of FL St. Augustine is in? I really would like to spend a day or two there.

Tink
13-09-2008, 03:23 AM
St. Augustine is north Florida (just south of Jax) on the east coast.

For spring break beaches are you looking for a quiet place or a party with the spring breakers place?

Johnie
13-09-2008, 03:28 AM
I'm sure Alysia would want to party with the spring breakers. I don't want something too quiet. Anything in the middle?

I know St. Augustine is north but I have a million locations on the RCI thingie and can't find it.

Tink
13-09-2008, 03:41 AM
It's slap on the northeast coast of Florida.

Something middle of the road, maybe Cocoa Beach? Daytona gets wicked crazy. :yes: If you wanted something really different, and futher Ft. Myers Beach is quite the Spring Break place. They have party areas and quieter areas. It's about 3 1/2 hours from Orlando.

I don't know what to tell you about St. Augustine? :unsure:

Tinker
13-09-2008, 04:29 AM
how about Vero Beach ? don't know how that would be for spring breaks and parties . :unsure:

ukwdwnut
13-09-2008, 09:21 AM
we love clearwater :yes:

also cocoa for body boarding

Tink
13-09-2008, 11:09 AM
I think Vero Beach would be pretty tame, probably too much so for Johnie's DD.

Cocoa Beach is a really nice beach. :yes: It's close to Orlando, has the Atlantic instead of the gulf, and is generally quiet.

Johnie
13-09-2008, 01:52 PM
WEll RCI gave me a million choices for locations in FL. I tried all the ones with north in the title and St. Augustine doesn't even come up. So either they don't have availability or they don't have timeshares.

I did get tons of hits for Daytona and Ormond Beach.

Tink
13-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Could be no timeshares there. It is a college town, historically correct and all that jazz. St. Augustine is an easy drive along the east coast though. Depending upon where you stay you could do a day trip.

I'd prefer Ormond over Daytona. :yes: Daytona still has that nasty chicken hawk reputation, although I know they've worked hard to clean it up and overcome that image.

Johnie
13-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Yeah I always think of bikers when I think of Daytona. I also got stuff for Titusville? Where is that? I feel the need to go get my FL map.

Tink
13-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Titusville? Nah. It's a nowhere sort of place. It's simply a desultory little town that is near the Cape so has great views of launches. My sister used to live there. It's below (south) of Daytona, in Brevard County.

There is a really nice German restaurant there though, Pumpernickel's, and it's the site of the original Dixie Crossroad's restaurant.

There, you've done Titusville. :lol:

Tinker
13-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Our friends mom lives in Titusville and we stopped by to meet her . Nothing Special, I'd go with Cocoa or Daytona Beach .

Johnie
13-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Isn't the surf school in Cocoa Beach? That could be a deciding factor.

Tink
13-09-2008, 10:33 PM
I don't know. :unsure: I know there is quite a bit of surfing off Cocoa Beach. It always amuses me a bit. After seeing some of the surfing in Hawaii, Cocoa Beach (Florida east coast in general) is not really all that "awesome." :lol:

Johnie
13-09-2008, 10:36 PM
:lol: I bet! We saw tons of surfers in CA.

Tink
13-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Yep, California too. No real comparison! :lol:

Johnie
13-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Well I don't want a beach that has absolutely nothing to do but lay on the beach but I also don't want to run into the "Girls Gone Wild" crowd. There has to be a happy medium

Tink
13-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Ft. Myers Beach, I'm tellin' ya'. :yes: :D

Johnie
13-09-2008, 10:43 PM
ok I will see if that is an option

Beccaberry
14-09-2008, 01:31 AM
...It's simply a desultory little town
...pops up from behind bush...

Desultory...oooooh nice :D

...adds to list...ducks back behind bush....

Tink
14-09-2008, 01:32 AM
LOL! :hug2:

Beccaberry
14-09-2008, 01:35 AM
:wink:

ukwdwnut
14-09-2008, 02:24 AM
Ft. Myers Beach, I'm tellin' ya'. :yes: :D

tink, how far away from orlando is ft myers, is it much further than clearwater?

Tink
14-09-2008, 02:53 AM
Yes. It's southwest Florida, about 3-4 hours depending upon the route you take.

I've made it in 2 1/2 but I was driving at night on the back roads and going right along.

ukwdwnut
14-09-2008, 02:56 AM
Yes. It's southwest Florida, about 3-4 hours depending upon the route you take.

I've made it in 2 1/2 but I was driving at night on the back roads and going right along.

ok thx tink, wont bother going there then way to far, by the time you get there its time to come back :lol:

Tink
14-09-2008, 03:24 AM
Oh you could never do it as a day trip. Well, I mean you physically could of course, but it's not practical at all.

ukwdwnut
14-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Oh you could never do it as a day trip. Well, I mean you physically could of course, but it's not practical at all.

oh no not even gonna contemplate that :lol:

do you recommend anywhere better than clearwater around the same drive time?

Tink
14-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Clearwater is quite nice, Mick. :yes: I prefer Cocoa Beach, but that is solely because I am an Atlantic person, more than a Gulf person.

Much will depend upon what you are looking for in a beach experience? What do you and your family do when you go to the beach? Or rather, I should say what do you like to do or want to do? :unsure:

ukwdwnut
14-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Clearwater is quite nice, Mick. :yes: I prefer Cocoa Beach, but that is solely because I am an Atlantic person, more than a Gulf person.

Much will depend upon what you are looking for in a beach experience? What do you and your family do when you go to the beach? Or rather, I should say what do you like to do or want to do? :unsure:

weve been to both clearwater and cocoa, i prefer CW but i guess the kids would like CB for the body boarding

Tink
14-09-2008, 01:22 PM
St. Pete's is nice and that would be a change for you. So is Tampa Bay. :yes:

On the east coast nearly all beaches are nice, it just truly depends upon what you want. I don't like Daytona, but that is my personal bias. Not a huge fan of Jax either.

Vero Beach (actually it's Orchid Island if we are talking Disney) is a perfect beach getaway for me, but that is because I am quite content to roam the beach and just laze about. There is NOTHING else there to do! Vero Beach the town is quiet and not a tourist place at all. Not that one couldn't stay there, but it's seriously snooze-ville. :lol:

New Smyrna Beach is pretty nice. Kind of middle of the road. However, they tend to have really strong currents (the man and son who were swept out to sea were just off New Smyrna) and a higher proporiton of shark encounters than any other Florida beach.

Satellite Beach is a sleeper, but very nice. It's just south of Patrick AFB.

Dorothy
14-09-2008, 01:41 PM
I love Cocoa and there is a huge Ron Jon's there which has beach parties and bands and stuff like that.

Here's the link hun http://www.ronjons.com/DisplayContent.aspx?ContentID=39&MenuGroup=2&SelectedItem=4

Tink
14-09-2008, 08:17 PM
That Ron Jon's is open 24/7 365 days of the year, I think. It's no L.L.Bean but it'll do! :lol:

ukwdwnut
14-09-2008, 09:01 PM
St. Pete's is nice and that would be a change for you. So is Tampa Bay. :yes:

On the east coast nearly all beaches are nice, it just truly depends upon what you want. I don't like Daytona, but that is my personal bias. Not a huge fan of Jax either.

Vero Beach (actually it's Orchid Island if we are talking Disney) is a perfect beach getaway for me, but that is because I am quite content to roam the beach and just laze about. There is NOTHING else there to do! Vero Beach the town is quiet and not a tourist place at all. Not that one couldn't stay there, but it's seriously snooze-ville. :lol:

New Smyrna Beach is pretty nice. Kind of middle of the road. However, they tend to have really strong currents (the man and son who were swept out to sea were just off New Smyrna) and a higher proporiton of shark encounters than any other Florida beach.

Satellite Beach is a sleeper, but very nice. It's just south of Patrick AFB.

ok thx tink :hug2: