PDA

View Full Version : Publix Special Order Cakes

Tink
09-14-2008, 07:48 PM
I stopped into Publix today and asked about their special order cakes. Prices were not available, as so much seems to depend upon the end product. I did notice that a 1/4 sheet cake that is already decorated (with room for writing) cost $19.99.

So, here's the deal:

Cake sizes: 1/4 sheet (serves 20)
1/2 sheet (serves 40)
3/4 sheet (serves 60)
full sheet ( serves 80)
8" (serves 10)
7" (serves 8)
Other

Cake Flavor: Chocolate
Half and Half
Marble
Vanilla
Carrot
Red Velvet
Other

Filling: Vanilla Custard
Chocolate Pudding
Cherry
Lemon
Fresh Strawberries
German Chocolate
Pineapple
Raspberry
Cannoli
Other

Icing: Buttercream
Whipped Topping
Fudge
Cream Cheese
Other

Flowers: Daisies
Roses
Sunflowers
Other

You can have other things (toys, ect.) put on the cake, and of course have greetings, wishes, ect. written on too.

Personalized Images are $8 additional, and you must choose at least the 1/4 sheet cake for that option.

The do ice cream cakes too.

They need roughly 4 days to 1 week for special orders (especially if choosing the carrot or red velvet cake).

I don't know what encompasses "other!"

These cakes are in addition to the wedding cakes that they also do, but I'm sure if you wanted one of these for a wedding it would be fine (simple, but fine).

The sheet cakes are two layer, and very good. I've had them before for special events. We are very partial to chocolate with raspberry filling and chocolate whipped cream topping. However, vanilla with lemon filling and buttercream frosting sounds quite nice too, as does anything with cannoli filling! :yes:

Publix does have a round sugar free cake (two sizes). It's either vanilla or chocolate, and quite nice! They will not write on it though, as the icing for writing is not sugar free.

So, there you go!

Side note, do NOT use the Publix at Orange Lake (west 192) if ordering the cake. (Or anything really). This used to be my favorite "near WDW" Publix, but after the experience I had there today, I'll not go in again, nor will I recommend them to anyone. The one further west (and of course the Premium Outlet Publix) are the ones closest to Disney that I recommend.

lisaw
09-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Great information - thanks Tink! :)

Tink
09-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Meant to add that they have a limited selection of cakes, ice cream cakes and VERY elaborate fancy cakes on offer in a given Publix. So there is usually something available even without specially ordering it. "My" local Publix has the most incredible fancy cakes! :yes:

Having had Publix and WDW specialty cakes I can honestly say they are both equally as good. :yes: Publix is less expensive, but more inconvenient to obtain. :yes:

Beccaberry
09-14-2008, 08:12 PM
THANK YOU!!!

I would assume I don't have to be "present" to order? I should be able to phone them up, tell them what I want and give them my payment details over the phone, yes?

Thanks again for the information!

Tink
09-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Yes, I believe you will be fine. As I recall, you don't pay until you get there. However, if you wanted the photo on it, I'm not sure how that could be done long distance?

How long are you going to be here? If you went in on your very first day would you have time to have it ordered for delivery before you left? :unsure:

Beccaberry
09-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Yes, I believe you will be fine. As I recall, you don't pay until you get there. However, if you wanted the photo on it, I'm not sure how that could be done long distance?

How long are you going to be here? If you went in on your very first day would you have time to have it ordered for delivery before you left? :unsure:

We arrive on the 24th, his birthday is on the 27th...so that *might* work...perhaps I'll ring them up tomorrow and ask them if that would be enough lead time...

NOOOOOOOOOW to decide on what flavor :D :D

Tinker
09-14-2008, 10:30 PM
perhaps you could fax the picture , oh, wait, then it would be Black & White ?

Tink
09-14-2008, 10:33 PM
24th of September? :unsure:

Beccaberry
09-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Yes ma'am...we arrive on the 24th of September...birthday on the 27th :D

Tink
09-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Well, I'll bet if you call head and confirm it they'll be able to do it for you. Maybe you could copy the photo and send it ahead to them? :yes:

Beccaberry
09-15-2008, 12:31 AM
That's what I was thinking...

If I call tomorrow (I'd even be happy to pay on the phone if they want me to) and mail/email the photo to them...I think I'll be ok...

Tink
09-15-2008, 12:34 AM
I never thought about emailing the photo. I wonder if they can work with that? :unsure: Seems as though they might be able to. :yes:

Even if you can't do the photo would you still do the cake? Have you decided on any flavors or combinations yet? :D

Beccaberry
09-15-2008, 12:41 AM
I never thought about emailing the photo. I wonder if they can work with that? :unsure: Seems as though they might be able to. :yes:

Even if you can't do the photo would you still do the cake? Have you decided on any flavors or combinations yet? :D

I think I will still do the cake, even if it's just a "stock" one...I'm just not thrilled with Disney options at the moment.

But if I *can* here's what I have:
1/4 Sheet
Marble w/ vanilla custard (only because I can't have banana pudding in the middle, THAT'S his favorite :wink: )

Haven't figured out the icing yet...it may have to be a "set" type since I'm getting the photo....

OOOOH I'm sooooooooooooooooooo excited...

I've ordered his IPOD, chosen the engraving....and I've been working all day on a music slideshow of "through the years" pictures for him....of course that's me crying all day too :D

Tink
09-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Ask about the 'nana pudding filling. You never know what they can come up with. Publix is totally into customer service (usually). :yes:

Beccaberry
09-15-2008, 01:00 AM
Ask about the 'nana pudding filling. You never know what they can come up with. Publix is totally into customer service (usually). :yes:

You think?

Ok! I just might!

Johnie
09-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Ok I was looking around and you can go to www.publix.com and under Food and Entertaining, click on decorated cakes. You can see the options available and prices. They have some of the cutest cakes!! You either have to order over the phone or in person though.

I HAVE to have one of these bear cakes once in my life!!

Beccaberry
09-16-2008, 01:05 AM
Ok I was looking around and you can go to www.publix.com and under Food and Entertaining, click on decorated cakes. You can see the options available and prices. They have some of the cutest cakes!! You either have to order over the phone or in person though.

:D I called this afternoon and chatted with the bakery for a bit...they told me the same thing, so I'm going to print the photo and Fed Ex it to them this week...WOOHOO!!! We've got a cake ladies :D

I'll have to go check out the bear cake :D

Johnie
09-16-2008, 02:04 AM
The bears are too cute lol

kazzaqld
09-16-2008, 03:48 AM
WOOHOO!!! We've got a cake ladies :D

:cake:Yum!

Shellyamc
09-16-2008, 03:52 AM
You are an awesome Mom..I just had to tell ya :yes:

Tink
09-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Were they able to do the banana for you Becca? :unsure:

Wendy
09-16-2008, 10:05 AM

I've made the bear cakes before :D

We had a slight accident with one though :lol: We were on our way to take the cake to the party and a car pulled out in front of Chris, he stopped quickly and the bear ended up with his face splattered against the box :lol: I can laugh now, but at the time I wasn't happy, I had to take it home and re-ice it.

It is very sweet though Johnie, too sweet for me with all the icing.

Tink
09-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Oooops! Poor bear. :( Poor Wendy!! Poor CHRIS!! :lipwobble:

Wendy
09-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Oooops! Poor bear. :( Poor Wendy!! Poor CHRIS!! :lipwobble:

:lol: I think it was more poor Chris :lol:

Beccaberry
09-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Were they able to do the banana for you Becca? :unsure:

OOOOH!!! That's the nicest part of all!!! They said they'd be happy to accommodate me if I wanted banana :D :D :D

You are an awesome Mom..I just had to tell ya

Awwww Shelly, thank you...takes one to know one!!! :wink:

Tink
09-16-2008, 11:55 AM
I was hoping that would be the case. Publix usually does try to meet the customer's needs. :yes:

It sounds like it's going to be quite a cake! :yes:

uscwest
09-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Those bears are absolutely adorable.

lisaw
09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I think we may be celebrating DD's birthday a couple of weeks early next year :p015:

mainecoon lover
09-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Publix cakes are yummy. We bought one for Beth's 15th birthday in 2006. It cost us 6 great value. I bet it would of cost three times that home here.