PDA

View Full Version : if your house was flooded/on fire, what would you save?

disneymom
15-09-2008, 03:27 PM
The flooding photos made me really think. If YOU had just 5 minutes to grab things and get out, what things would you save from your house?

Isafari
15-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Any person or pets first.....then my photos and personal videos.

Tinker
15-09-2008, 03:43 PM
what Isafari said .

Tink
15-09-2008, 03:46 PM
We keep a small hard sided case with our important papers. I would grab that, of course and then with great sadness walk away. :( Saving lives is far more important than any material thing. Although, the loss of personal photos would be the hardest, I believe. You can't recreate or buy replacements for those, eh?

Tinker
15-09-2008, 03:58 PM
I was just thinking, Tink, I know Dangerous . :lol: With most pictures digital nowadays and on your computer , you could or would be able to still have your pictures . I forgot about my safe box . Yes, I'd take that too . Now maybe I should throw my photo CD's in there .

Jazmine
15-09-2008, 03:59 PM
People, pets and Disney things, in that order :p015:
Jacqui xxx

Tink
15-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Yes, I save most of mine to CDs so a simple matter to grab and go, but I'm thinking of the old ones, of Mama and other relatives that could not be replaced. Those would be hard to lose.

Taja
15-09-2008, 04:18 PM
After the pipe burst in the ceiling of the master suite in January, 2007, I soon organized the essential things in waterproof envelopes. Well, ZipLoc bags, as well as some of the compression bags, all of which are in a fire-resistant safe with a carrier nearby. The safe can be opened quickly and the contents tucked inside the carrier for transport.

What's in the safe? Nothing valuable to a thief! :lol:

House related documents: Deed, mortgage, insurance.

Vehicle related documents: Title, insurance (paid off, thank goodness!)

Personal documents: Birth & death certificates, passport, medical information, etc.

Photos: About two dozen special photos in archival paper, then placed in ZipLoc bags. Humidity isn't an issue here, so they should be safe.

Contact information: A list of names, account/policy numbers, telephone & fax numbers, and email addresses. That includes utilities and anything that has to be paid regularly, as well as family and friends.

A small--and I do mean small!--amount of cash. We typically have some warning of natural disasters, so it's usually possible to obtain what's needed in advance.

I'm usually the only one here, but if I had guests, they would be evacuated first, then the "box." After that, my laptop and a small printer, geek bag, contact lenses/eyeglasses and a few changes of clothing and toiletries. If space and time permit, probably a sewing machine and serger (what can I say--they're an important part of my life!). Then secure everything, pray for everyone's safety, say a sad farewell to the house and head out in my trusty little vehicle.

MystikPiglit
15-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Yes, I save most of mine to CDs so a simple matter to grab and go, but I'm thinking of the old ones, of Mama and other relatives that could not be replaced. Those would be hard to lose.

Tink, I've started photographing my precious old photos and then storing them on my laptop. :)

Tink
15-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Ohhhh, that is a nice idea! :yes: Do they come out good?

MystikPiglit
15-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Ohhhh, that is a nice idea! :yes: Do they come out good?

Yes. Here is my dear departed Father.

Tink
15-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Oh that is a lovely photo! :yes: He is a very handsome man, MystikPiglit. :hug2:

Taja
15-09-2008, 04:32 PM
I've scanned some of our old family photos onto CDs, Tink. That works well. I've actually stored the original photos and have duplicates from the CDs displayed in the house.

Tink
15-09-2008, 04:33 PM
:yes: Good ideas! I'm definitely going to have to look into that. :yes:

Tinker
15-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Great Idea, MP . Never thought of those pictures, Sister Tink . Makes a note put fathers naval picture and his letters in my safe .

Grammiepo
15-09-2008, 10:47 PM
me first and foremost, then the pocketbook and the photoalbum.

Johnie
15-09-2008, 11:44 PM
My people
My animals
and photo albums if I had time

Shellyamc
16-09-2008, 03:55 AM
I can't think about it :sigh; Honestly I would just cry..

Not for the stuff..but the memories. I'm too emotional, I guess.

Wendy
16-09-2008, 07:25 AM
We are lucky that we will probably never get flooded, whilst we live where we do, if we did then most of Plymouth would be under water.

The thought of fire terrifies me though, I am very sentimental about special things. There are only the two of us and I think it would probably be Chris dragging me away :o I wouldn't care about myself though, so long as he was safe then I would have to try and get my belongings.

My photos, I have them everywhere, Chris has started to scan or photograph the very old ones to put them on DVD for me. I have every card Chris has ever bought me, cards from my Dad, letters and cards from my Nan and special cards that have been made or from people that mean a lot to me :o I've got pictures that the children have drawn over the years.

Chris says he is going to get a fire safe so that I can put special/important things in there.

Tink
16-09-2008, 09:45 AM
I have those cards too Wendy. :yes: I was looking at some the other day and was enjoying all over again cards from Steven as a wee boy, and Ieuan's Lucy. Such a little artist. :yes: Those are the things I mean. Not always photos, but still memories that can't be replaced. :yes:

josh.p.
17-09-2008, 01:38 PM
I'd get out to the tortoises shed, put them in their transport boxes and either A.)Put them on the high shelf thats in their,
B.)or if i had time, Take them with me.
I'd also get the dog (He is in a crate, so I could grab that and run)