View Full Version : ? for 'Nut or Keith! Or any PC expert!

18-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Guys, my DSis managed to lose her firewalls without noticing and now her PC is loaded with nasty stuff that downloaded before it was switched back on. Can you suggest a program I can install and help clear this out? She normally uses Norton, but it had expired and she was not paying attention to the renewal date. I now use Mac, so I'll have great fun helping her with this tomorrow!

18-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Nut will be more help to you on this one because Im of the opinion that once infected, a complete reinstall of the OS is usually the best way out of trouble.

That aside, run the norton scans and an ad-aware scan http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

in THEORY these should be run after booting from the OS CDROM rather than just normally because things can hide themselves but even running them normally is something

18-09-2008, 04:28 PM
agree totally with keith you can spend hours and hours trying to clean up an infected pc, when you can rebuild a pc in less than 30mins with a restore cd or just a couple of hours with a manual install

there is a sticky for avg v8 in the gadgets forum cathy

18-09-2008, 04:32 PM

install it, then run the update then scan the system

18-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks guys! She did this to me a few years ago, I thought she'd learned from then!

18-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks guys! She did this to me a few years ago, I thought she'd learned from then!

oh well it happens cath cant be helped some people only know what they know