PDA

View Full Version : Ty's UK adventure

Skywatcher
19-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Anyone else watching this with toe curling embarrasment for the way it shows us in the UK? - Impressed they arent bleeping his swears though and last night in the granite mine was hilarious.

His 'Make it happen people' attitude is great in the US but here with the red tape it just wont ride

lisaw
19-09-2008, 09:55 AM
I have caught bits of it - I agree it doesn't quite work with Brits involved :rolleyes008:

Will make a point to watch a whole episode :p015:

Skywatcher
19-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Not sure I'd bother Lisa :D

lisaw
19-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah but i like Ty :D

Tink
19-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Ty, as in the "Extreme Home Makeover" person? Pennington, isn't it? :unsure:

Is he screaming through a megaphone like he does on his show here? I really dislike that! :(

Skywatcher
19-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Yes thats him - but not so much the screaming - justs the blank disbelief that our country is so stick in its ways

Tink
19-09-2008, 12:39 PM
In what regard? :unsure:

Skywatcher
19-09-2008, 12:41 PM
You cant build stuff without planning permissions and the authorisation of a billion commitees and sub commitees which usually takes months and years - not a week as he would like.

Americans seem to have a - ' lets make it happen' woo hoo attitude

The Brits sit on the side and shake their head saying ' well that wont work because of ...'

Tink
19-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Oh. Yes, I can see where that would interfere with his swoop in, build and swoop out type of approach. :lol:

I see the "that won't work here" a lot in the workplace though. Makes me CRAZY! :(

Taja
19-09-2008, 02:07 PM
One would think the show would have obtained permits well in advance--or there would be no show to tape! Best guess is they had them in hand and the rest was for show--contrasting US and UK processes in a fun way. Or so they hoped! :lol:

Permits are required in most parts of the US--there may be a few exceptions. Depending on location and volume, permitting can take as little as one business day to several months--or years, if it's in an historical district. I'm sure the show has them in hand before beginning a US based show, as well. Otherwise, a good portion of the work would be undone for inspection. They just don't show that part on the show. Too mundane. :rolleyes:

Skywatcher
19-09-2008, 02:29 PM
nope - they started putting a roof up that wasn't in the plans and the council came in and said they wern't happy only way round it was to put it up for the show and with an offer to take it down when the council disapprove of it later - trust me none of it was for the show it showed noone in a good light

Taja
19-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Definitely sounds like an :oops: on the roof! Did they have issues with other parts of the construction?

The building codes here are tight--primarily because there have been so many horrendous violations. We have to have a permit to replace a water heater! :eek:

Skywatcher
19-09-2008, 02:41 PM
It all just looks so naff compared with the US show - Ty gets frustrated and swears like a trooper. I'm sure they will show it on US TV one day

Dizneyblonde
19-09-2008, 03:41 PM
What channel am i missing this on?

Skywatcher
19-09-2008, 03:49 PM
uk tv style I think

Taja
20-09-2008, 12:22 AM
It all just looks so naff compared with the US show - Ty gets frustrated and swears like a trooper. I'm sure they will show it on US TV one day

Perhaps--with a lot of bleeps! :lol: