PDA

View Full Version : I'm Earning My Ears

Tinker
23-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm so, so :207: . I am officially a Cast Member for our local Disney Store . I go in Saturday to fill out paperwork , orientation and pick up my uniform .
I never got to finish my trip report , but I have to tell you how this came to be at the most magical place in the world . Jim and I were leaving Ohana's after having breakfast . I heard from behind someone say * Hey, I Know Her * I kept walking as how would someone know me at The Poly and WDW . The next thing I hear is HEY and felt someone touch my shoulder . I turned around to see Sherry and her lovely family . Sherry is the manager of the Disney Store . I had spoke to her when the turnover was taking place . She thought she was going to be able to hire and needed a visual merchandiser . But since Disney was just taking over, they put a freeze on hiring . She told me to call her when she returned . I did better than that , I went to see her and she hirde me on the spot . I will be working days as a visual merchandiser and sign coordinator . I can't believe it . :HamsterDance:There really is magic and pixiedust working on everyone at WDW . Sorry, I can't contain myself
:banana1::2uge4p4::fun50::za4::emoticon-tv-026:

Isafari
23-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Oh wow.....brilliant news :yes: You are so going to love going to work there!
Well done, I'm so pleased for you :hug2:

Johnie
23-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Congratulations! That is a great job.

I'm so jealous, we don't even have a single Disney store around here anymore :(

Disneybumble
23-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Tinker that is awesome news. Congratulations

lisaw
23-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Wow fantastic news! You'll be great! :smiley4:

Britchick
23-09-2008, 07:13 PM
i'd really love to do that! congratulations:yes:

Tinker
23-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Thank You Everyone . I'm very excited !!! This does in no way feel like a job . And WDW trips are no problem . It's seasonal for now , but Sherry said they do pick a few CM's to stay . Just went to register my birthday at disneyworld.com . If they keep me , I may not qualify . :unsure:

Britchick
23-09-2008, 07:34 PM
will you get cheap tickets? and discounted merchandise?

Claire
23-09-2008, 07:42 PM
You lucky, lucky thing! Tell us all about it when you've done your first day please!

keith
23-09-2008, 08:23 PM
That's so great Tinker! you'll have to keep us totally updated on new and exciting products :D

uscwest
23-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Congratulations Debi. Does this warrant special prices on your AP and park tickets now?

josh.p.
23-09-2008, 08:33 PM
WOW! brilliant news.. as visual manager will you be in charge of displays ect?

MinnieMouse
23-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Congratulations. That is so exciting. :D

Taja
23-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Congratulations, Tinker!

The Disney store closed in our local mall. I think there's still one open somewhere in the Valley, but it's 35 miles or so away. And in a mall I really dislike, if I remember correctly.

Glad yours made it through the transition and you have a new opportunity! :)

Tink
23-09-2008, 10:06 PM
:fcracker2:
:oyster:
:hippo1:
:champers2:

Congratulations Sister Tinker!!!!

Tinker
23-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Visual merchandiser, josh , but you are correct ... thats what I will be doing .
uscwest ... I'll get all the details at orientation , but I don't think so . If anything I'll get so many free park tickets , a percentage off merchandise & resorts and may be able to utilize my CM card at Company D .
The only drawback is that if they keep me , I probably will not qualify for my birthday gift card . But who cares, I'll be a cast member .
Taja ~ I'm sorry your local store closed . I wasn't hired back when as our store wasn't sure they would be chose to stay open . It was literally empty back then . When they did get notification that they'd stay open ... Disney put a hiring freeze on them .

Tinker
23-09-2008, 10:12 PM
:fcracker2:
:oyster:
:hippo1:
:champers2:

Congratulations Sister Tinker!!!! :lol: Thank You Sister Tink ! :hug2:

BevW
23-09-2008, 10:31 PM
OMG Tinker, you'll LOVE working for TDS. I did it for 4 years and it never got old.Well...that's another story. :)
Have fun! I know you will...oh and don't spend all your money on PINS! :lol:

Jimminey
23-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Bev, she'll be lucky to have a paycheck left . Don't get her started on pins .
I'm her hubby, in case you didn't know .

BevW
24-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Bev, she'll be lucky to have a paycheck left . Don't get her started on pins .
I'm her hubby, in case you didn't know .

Rick used to tell friends that when I got paid I would just hand my check back to my store manager cos of all the stuff I would buy. After about a year, I finally slowed down. :lol:
And nope, I sure didn't know you were Tinks Hubby! Hiya Jimminey! Glad to meet ya!

luvthemouse
24-09-2008, 02:17 AM
Wow Debbie!! That is so cool!!

Tinker
24-09-2008, 03:48 AM
Thank You, Krista !
Bev ~ what were the perks ? I'm sure if they let me go after the holidays, nothing, but I'm going to give above & beyond so I have a shot at being kept .
And I will have to really contain myself . They have stopped selling adult clothes again, which really saddens me, but the new collectibles are nice .

piglet
24-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Oh well done Tinker, you'll be in the magic every day. If you ever need a girl friday :overhere::overhere: ;)

MystikPiglit
24-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Well done, Tinker, that's exciting news! Wishing you lots of success.

mumof2
24-09-2008, 09:21 AM
oh wow, well done Tinker! You *were* in the right place at the right time weren't you! :lol: Have lots of fun working there! :yes:

Johnie
24-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Thank You, Krista !
Bev ~ what were the perks ? I'm sure if they let me go after the holidays, nothing, but I'm going to give above & beyond so I have a shot at being kept .
And I will have to really contain myself . They have stopped selling adult clothes again, which really saddens me, but the new collectibles are nice .

ooohhhh you'll have to let me know about pocketbooks......

Shellyamc
24-09-2008, 12:57 PM
How cool is this!!! You are going to be awesome at it :yes:

Dorothy
24-09-2008, 01:25 PM
WOO HOO :smiley4:

Should I start making a shopping list for you now so you can watch for sales for me :pompoms::HamsterDance::birdie:

Tinker
25-09-2008, 05:53 PM
WOO HOO :smiley4:

Should I start making a shopping list for you now so you can watch for sales for me :pompoms::HamsterDance::birdie: if you wish , your wish is my command . ;)

Jazmine
25-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Fantastic news Tinker you will be an expert on all the merchandise, we are lucky our local store is still open and i always used to say if i could get back to work that`s where i would try for a job :yes: omgosh im excited for you :hug2:
Jacqui ;)xxx

Tinker
25-09-2008, 10:28 PM
its not great pay... but its Disney :lol: I'm also working at Toys R Us for the holiday season . Closer to my home and I can work evenings and days off .

SleepinCatz
25-09-2008, 11:03 PM
wow this is fantastic news!!!!

Tinker
28-09-2008, 03:23 AM
I start October 5th . I got my red Disney Store shirt, my cast member name pin and my tag earning my ears .

Dizneyblonde
28-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Oh my how did i miss this thread?!

Fantastic news hun.
Don't forget to save as many $ as possible for our little meet next year.XXX

SleepinCatz
28-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Have a most Magical First Day :)

Tinker
28-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Oh my how did i miss this thread?!

Fantastic news hun.
Don't forget to save as many $ as possible for our little meet next year.XXX No problem and I won't have to worry about an AP if I stay on after the holidays . My CM card gets me in the parks whenever I visit . Plus 50 % off resorts .

Taja
29-09-2008, 12:00 AM
No problem and I won't have to worry about an AP if I stay on after the holidays . My CM card gets me in the parks whenever I visit . Plus 50 % off resorts .

Another stay at the Poly just might be in your future! :wink:

Tinker
29-09-2008, 12:03 AM
or the beach club . ;)

Taja
29-09-2008, 12:09 AM
:lol:

I remembered you raving about the Polynesian, but couldn't remember which resort you liked better! :rolleyes:

Tinker
29-09-2008, 12:19 AM
both, I liked Stormalong Bay better at the BC, but I liked Cap't Cooks food court at The Poly . Where as the BC, doesn't have a nice food court or a big gift shop . They both have their pros & cons . I got it , I'll do a split stay .

BevW
30-09-2008, 03:52 PM
. My CM card gets me in the parks whenever I visit . .

Whoa! when did that happen? As a regular CM, I had to have tickets to get into the parks....if they've changed that policy then that's so cool!

Tinker
30-09-2008, 05:01 PM
This info came from a cast member at WDW . And she said , this is new for them . I'm not 100% sure that this will ring true for the Disney Store . However, Sherry did say she gets 50% off the resorts and more perks are coming after the new year as Disney has just taken over again . I'm keeping my :fingers: crossed .

Tinker
10-10-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm getting very discouraged as I got one day on the schedule this week . I do realize the economy is bad , but GeeZ , I still have to drive there , 15 minutes from my home . I know as it gets closer to Christmas , it will pick up . I don't get any benefits until I'm a permanent employee , rather than seasonal . And now rumour has it that cast members from a closed store will have seniority over the 2 positions after the holidays, which makes sense . So, I'm sure you'll understand when I say my excitment has turned to discouagement... As I wonder in the end, if it will all been worth it .
On another note : I have an opportunity to go to WDW next week . A dear friend that is a DVC member has invited me down . She is staying at the Beach Club . I have the time off and the weird thing ... a Disney store convention is there that week . The manager of our store cannot make it as she is on sick leave . Mike asked if I go , if I'd pick up the new information .
Isn't that weird, that the exact time I'm invited is the same time as The Disney store convention. :fingers: and :pixiedust: for me please . That I get to go and that all this holiday stress will be worth it in the end . Thanks in advance .
I think some of you may know my friend that has so graciously invited me , Dzneeprincss

SleepinCatz
11-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Hang in ther Tink....magic sometimes takes a little bit to get warmed up :)

Taja
11-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Looks like fate is taking a hand in your life, Tinker!

Definitely understand your discouragement with your hours. That's one of the things I really dislike about retail--but staffing costs is one of the few things managers really can control. And a good portion of their bonus is based on that in most retail environments. :sigh;

If you can swing it financially, take a break at WDW and relax before the holiday craziness arrives. :thumbs_up: