PDA

View Full Version : what size memory cards?

disneymom
24-09-2008, 10:37 AM
How much memory card do you take to disney? I have some 2GB ones and cant see me using more but theres an offer on 8gb ones?

simonwebb74
24-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Based on the amount of photos I take on any given day trip with the family, I am likely to take 2 or 3 4Gb cards.
That will give me up to 3000 photos to sort through when I get home (looking for that perfect smile from the kids!)

You can always go to Walmart and get them burnt onto CD to clear the memory cards. Thats my sisters advise anyway.

keith
24-09-2008, 10:46 AM
yep pretty much what Simon said...I take about 12 or 16GB worth. Sometimes I use more than others but its nice to have enough available.

I also take the laptop so I can back them up to that

Watchinherskip
24-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Maybe Keith can set me straight, I hear that is was better to carry a few medium sized cards rather than one or two large capacity ones to increase the access time. Is that true now or was that something to contend with in the older digital cameras?:confused:

simonwebb74
24-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Maybe Keith can set me straight, I hear that is was better to carry a few medium sized cards rather than one or two large capacity ones to increase the access time. Is that true now or was that something to contend with in the older digital cameras?:confused:

Depends on your camera and the type of card it uses. My Sony A200 has a Sandisk Extreme III 4Gb memory card in it which is capable of 3 frames per second for at least 50 frames (haven't held my finger down any longer than that). The older memory cards are slower.

The main issue I have with large memory cards is, the more photos per single card the more there is to lose if you

a) lose the card
b) corrupt the card.

Watchinherskip
24-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Depends on your camera and the type of card it uses. My Sony A200 has a Sandisk Extreme III 4Gb memory card in it which is capable of 3 frames per second for at least 50 frames (haven't held my finger down any longer than that). The older memory cards are slower.

The main issue I have with large memory cards is, the more photos per single card the more there is to lose if you

a) lose the card
b) corrupt the card.

That is a very valid point. I have 5 cards from 512 kb to 2 gig. I bought a card that came with a nice holder which can store 8 xd cards in a wallet.

keith
24-09-2008, 01:53 PM
:yeahthat:

To be perfectly honest, I dont worry much about the larger cards now. I get decent makes, decently fast ones and they can easily keep up. I backup every evening to my laptop

Skywatcher
24-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Can't believe frankly how cheap memory cards are now - I have 2 4GP cards that on the eos take over 1000 frames each. Considering that since the dawn of digital photography you can dump any obviously rubbish frames straight away to make space that has always been adequate for me. I have had to promise myself on previous holidays not to experience the trip through the lens , so there are days I don't take the camera it can be quite liberating :D

Watchinherskip
24-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Can't believe frankly how cheap memory cards are now - I have 2 4GP cards that on the eos take over 1000 frames each. Considering that since the dawn of digital photography you can dump any obviously rubbish frames straight away to make space that has always been adequate for me. I have had to promise myself on previous holidays not to experience the trip through the lens , so there are days I don't take the camera it can be quite liberating :D
:camera: Guilty of that myself. I know what you mean! Have to work on that one....btw when you are the camera person in the family years go bye and you are never in a picture...makes it look like you weren't even a part of the family or group.

keith
24-09-2008, 02:17 PM
:camera: Guilty of that myself. I know what you mean! Have to work on that one...

agreed! me too...

.btw when you are the camera person in the family years go bye and you are never in a picture...makes it look like you weren't even a part of the family or group.

That's a positive advantage for me :lol:

Skywatcher
24-09-2008, 02:28 PM
:lol: Lisa keeps the f10 for point and click pics and TBH it really is good little performer - but neither of us like pics of ourselves so we end up with about 2000 of the kids and various fluffy things