PDA

View Full Version : Can we use tripods at disney?

Disfan
24-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Does anyone know if we're allowed to use tripods or monopods, anything like that at disney?

Has anyone tried?

I just worry about carting it around, setting it up, people tripping over

Watchinherskip
24-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Hey Disfan, I have used my mini backpacking tripod at Disney. They are pretty stable, in my case I can velcro it around a post, railing or the like, and it fits in the camera bag or in my case fanny pack. They are usually under $20 USD. Gorillapod has bendable legs that can wrap around the same things and you can get them online.

wishonastar
24-09-2008, 01:33 PM
a GORILLApod?????????????? :confused:

Watchinherskip
24-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Yup, one of these:
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=52215&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=sr&freeText=gorillapod

Taja
24-09-2008, 02:49 PM
I've used my mini-tripod at WDW a couple of times. But I really dislike carrying it around the parks. My camera bag is tiny--just holds my camera and a spare memory card and spare batteries. And my purse already is pared down as much as possible, so I don't want the additional weight in there.

Just remember, if you take it, you carry it! :lol:

Skywatcher
24-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Was thinking about this for some trailing firework shots but I can see lisa giving me the :dozey: look for dragging the tripod around all day

Watchinherskip
24-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Was thinking about this for some trailing firework shots but I can see lisa giving me the :dozey: look for dragging the tripod around all day

Really there is not much to drag around....this folds up to the size of a pair of reading glasses and weighs just about as much. You could do time exposures with it...fairly steady.

This is the exact one I have:
http://www.rei.com/product/777250

Taja
24-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Ooooh! Much nicer than mine! Mine is old and kind of heavy--probably at least one pound. Works well around here, but wouldn't want to carry it in the parks! :lol:

Skywatcher
24-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Whats the betting it'l be 50 in the UK :lol:

Watchinherskip
24-09-2008, 04:27 PM
:confused: Really, even with the exchange I would think that you could get it for $8 to pound (that much for shipping?)

Watchinherskip
24-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Yikes just looked up the shipping...$21:( to UK.

Skywatcher
24-09-2008, 04:39 PM
See - we get ripped off in this country - looked as scopes that were 1/2 the proce in the US yet when you add shipping and import taxes.. well

keith
24-09-2008, 04:52 PM
See - we get ripped off in this country - looked as scopes that were 1/2 the proce in the US yet when you add shipping and import taxes.. well

just carry it back ! yes mr customs I took it out with me to watch the fireworks, I have REALLY bad eyesight!

It'd work, surely?

josh.p.
24-09-2008, 05:53 PM
I'd whole-heartedly reccomend the gorrillapod. Brilliant device, and is really small.

Isafari
24-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Whats the betting it'l be 50 in the UK :lol:

Did a Google search and as far as I can see, it's about 20 plus delivery!
Maybe I should have gone to Specsavers ....surely it can't be that expensive compared to the US

Watchinherskip
24-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Another option for those wishing for one, you might stop by the Eddie Bauer outlet store if there is one nearby Idrive (isn't there a Permier Outltes there, usually have an EB) They almost always carry the one I have.

cazzie
14-10-2008, 05:29 PM
I use a monopod it has a tilting head and is okay. I have bought a groillapod for December as I was resting the camera on the bins in Jan and I have some great photos of the top of Disney waste bins.:oops:

Britchick
14-10-2008, 05:55 PM
I use a monopod it has a tilting head and is okay. I have bought a groillapod for December as I was resting the camera on the bins in Jan and I have some great photos of the top of Disney waste bins.:oops:

i'd be interested to know how you get on, i'm thinking of buying one, maybe you could do a review for the site:yes:;)

cazzie
14-10-2008, 06:15 PM
i'd be interested to know how you get on, i'm thinking of buying one, maybe you could do a review for the site:yes:;)

Will do, I have used a monopod before and it was great for the shows such as Beauty & the Beast no more arm ache. I have the tilting head one now which I will be using in December which will be more flexible.