PDA

View Full Version : Watch the ISS go overhead TONIGHT!!!

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Tonight you can watch this spcecraft fly overhead - it will be easily visible and really quite bright - it will be as bright as jupiter is!

It will fly high overhead from West to East - Those of you below London look high up slightly to the North, Those above London Will see it by looking high up slightly to the South

It will begin to fly from the West(look towards cornwall) at 20.21.43s, Be high overhead at 20.24.40 and disappear into earths shadow at 20.25.23s

It will move smoothly accross the night sky and look like a very bright star.

Other passes over the weekend will be plottable here

http://www.heavens-above.com/ You can even enter your town where you are and it will give you more accurate times.

maybe for tomorrow passes you can try a long exposure photo - which will look like
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb84/sidleydoc/ISSpass.jpg

but tonight I would personally just watch it with the eye

what does it look like through a telescope - well the trick is tracking it as it moves pretty fast ( orbits the earth in 90 mins or so ) but if you can it looks like this......

just click the photo of the ISS

http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=18&month=05&year=2008

any questions let me know

simonwebb74
26-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Wow, my boy will love this, he is so into space at the moment. We talk about all the planets most nights before he goes to bed.
I might have to keep him up tonight in the hope that we can see something.

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 10:45 AM
the times are correct locally by the way - no need to alter them due to BST

mumof2
26-09-2008, 10:48 AM
oh wow, thank you! so if i'm in the garden from around 8.15 tonight i should see it? fantastic!

simonwebb74
26-09-2008, 10:50 AM
I now have the list of all times for the Bracknell area for the next few days printed off from www.spaceweather.com (http://www.spaceweather.com)

Hope we see something

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 10:54 AM
cool. i saw it last time it was in a low orbit with the space shuttle chasing it, that was class to see :D

chris

how do you set a long exposure??

also last itme i tried to take a photo of the moon it was just a white blob and totally no detail, any ideas what i was doing wrong?

mumof2
26-09-2008, 11:04 AM
I now have the list of all times for the Bracknell area for the next few days printed off from www.spaceweather.com (http://www.spaceweather.com)

Hope we see something

what did you click onto get that?

simonwebb74
26-09-2008, 12:06 PM
what did you click onto get that?

http://www.spaceweather.com/flybys/index_coords.php

keith
26-09-2008, 12:18 PM
THANKS this is going to be excellent assuming a clear enough sky

mumof2
26-09-2008, 12:23 PM

fab! thank you....:D

simonwebb74
26-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Lets all pray for no clouds!!!!!

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Tip1 set your watch by an online timekeeping site like GMT so you have the right time :D

Tip2 go out in the garden about 10 minutes before to let your eyes become a little better dark adapted

Tip3 - use eavans above as they do an awesome star chart to let you see the progress and times ( address in my first post)

Mick on the slr you have to set the exposure to 'bulb' in manual - practice focusing on the starts well before you take the pics - manual focus all the way out to infinity then back a bit. Iso about 200 line the camera up with the area of sky we are talking about - as wide a fiewld of view as possible - I use the basic 18-55.. lens on 18. On a tripod of course and much much much better if you have a remote cable to use rather than holding down the button.

The moon sounds over exposed in your last image - go for a lower iso and a shorter exposure - it is very bright

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Oh and don't panic - flybys happen quite often - and on some nights you get 3-4 passes to watch so if you miss it tonight we will try again another day.

PLEASE let me know how you got on and also PLEASE while you are out see if you can spot Jupiter - he will be gone from the skies for a while soon so grab the chance if its clear to tick him off your list

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Mick on the slr you have to set the exposure to 'bulb' in manual - practice focusing on the starts well before you take the pics - manual focus all the way out to infinity then back a bit. Iso about 200 line the camera up with the area of sky we are talking about - as wide a fiewld of view as possible - I use the basic 18-55.. lens on 18. On a tripod of course and much much much better if you have a remote cable to use rather than holding down the button.

The moon sounds over exposed in your last image - go for a lower iso and a shorter exposure - it is very bright

to bulb??

not seen that will go get the camera down now to have a look

wht setting on the camera?

sorry mate how do you set the FoV, im still a novice with manual settings, and terminology :eek: :lol:

moon was totally white

mmmm exposure times, how do you do that by just holding the button down, does that mean keeping the shutter open?

i my know all this but when its explained, i get fried on the terminology :lol:

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 01:36 PM
You have to use the manual settings mick - turn the knowb on th etop to the M button - then by rotating the little wheel just by the trigger button you can either increase of decrease the exposure times - shortens is 1/4000 th second - longest is bulb which means the exposure lasts as long as the button is held down. I have a lockable cable that plugs into the eos - cost bme about 5 from ebay - a 'canon' one would cost a fortune no doubt

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shutter-Cable-Release-for-Canon-EOS-350D-400D-Samsung_W0QQitemZ150297491911QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem150297491911&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 01:40 PM
You have to use the manual settings mick - turn the knowb on th etop to the M button - then by rotating the little wheel just by the trigger button you can either increase of decrease the exposure times - shortens is 1/4000 th second - longest is bulb which means the exposure lasts as long as the button is held down. I have a lockable cable that plugs into the eos - cost bme about 5 from ebay - a 'canon' one would cost a fortune no doubt

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shutter-Cable-Release-for-Canon-EOS-350D-400D-Samsung_W0QQitemZ150297491911QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem150297491911&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

oh ok, ive never used the M setting, will have a look...oh forgot to say in my previous post, i bought a battery operated remote, for 15, so thats that bit sorted out

off to get the camera and will set it up and have a practice :)

simonwebb74
26-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Wow, I can get a remote shutter cable for my Sony for less than 3.50!!
A purchase could be on the cards!

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 01:49 PM
:lol: ebay is great for the peripherals i have 3 spare batetries that cost me only a fiver for all three from hong kong awesome

good luck mick - focusing is everything oh and use a low iso - around 200

keith
26-09-2008, 01:52 PM
sorry mate how do you set the FoV, im still a novice with manual settings, and terminology :eek: :lol:

Field of view will basically be a result of what lens you use... you want the widest one you have, zoomed out so you can see as much of the sky as possible.

Remember that as Skywatcher says, infinity on the lenses ISNT turned all the way as you'd think, it's all the way and then inched back a bit

moon was totally white

completely overexposed as sir Skywatcher said... you'll see in the histogram everything bunched up towards the right of the screen so you've just lost all of the detail. This is why you could do with doing things manually and taking a few test shots :) but basically lower iso and/or open the shutter for less time

mmmm exposure times, how do you do that by just holding the button down, does that mean keeping the shutter open?

yep

If anyone doesmt have a remote shutter release, you may be able to use your cameras timed shutter release option if it has one... so set it to take a photo in 20 seconds say, leave it and voila

simonwebb74
26-09-2008, 01:55 PM
I love this place, I have a brand new camera, and now I am finding out how to use it properly!

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 02:01 PM
the maximum exposure on my canon is 30s which would be ok for a short ISS trail but you need the cable for longer plus the camera wont wobble with the camer - sorry about the FOV question Nut forgot to answer - but if you use the 18-55mm lens - it would have to be set on 18

Like I said its all trial and error so dont be upset if it doesn't work first time - it rarely - does - has anyone played the movie on the link I posted - that blew me away _ i've seen detail on the ISS but that was awesome - just waiting for the next ISS/shuttle merge that would be a good photo to take :D

keith
26-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Like I said its all trial and error so dont be upset if it doesn't work first time - it rarely - does - has anyone played the movie on the link I posted - that blew me away _ i've seen detail on the ISS but that was awesome - just waiting for the next ISS/shuttle merge that would be a good photo to take :D

yep absolutely AMAZING!

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Of course one day I want this through the solar scope ( this is not my image)

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0609/iss_shuttle_legault_c88.jpg

The ISS and Atlantis

keith
26-09-2008, 02:12 PM
O M G!!!!!!

yeah ok, thats just a little bit special :D

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 02:44 PM
:lol: ebay is great for the peripherals i have 3 spare batetries that cost me only a fiver for all three from hong kong awesome

good luck mick - focusing is everything oh and use a low iso - around 200

i didnt mean i got batteries for 15 quid i meant the cordless remote :)

i think im gonna need as much help as i can get :lol:

Field of view will basically be a result of what lens you use... you want the widest one you have, zoomed out so you can see as much of the sky as possible.

Remember that as Skywatcher says, infinity on the lenses ISNT turned all the way as you'd think, it's all the way and then inched back a bit

completely overexposed as sir Skywatcher said... you'll see in the histogram everything bunched up towards the right of the screen so you've just lost all of the detail. This is why you could do with doing things manually and taking a few test shots :) but basically lower iso and/or open the shutter for less time

yep

If anyone doesmt have a remote shutter release, you may be able to use your cameras timed shutter release option if it has one... so set it to take a photo in 20 seconds say, leave it and voila

ok the widest lens i have is the 17-35 sigma aspherical hsm

ok im :confused: on the infinity part, hang on and i will show you :)

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 02:46 PM
this is the 17-35, so would it need to be set to 17 and 8 as it is now

sorry for the dumb ass Q'S :lol:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s192/essexmick/IMG_1330.jpg

Tink
26-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Skywatcher, thank you so very much for sharing your passion for space with us. We'd never know about these wonderful opportunities if you hadn't brought them to the "party." :hug1: You're a terrific friend to all of us here. :hug1:

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Of course one day I want this through the solar scope ( this is not my image)

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0609/iss_shuttle_legault_c88.jpg

The ISS and Atlantis

OMG thats awesome :yes:

BevW
26-09-2008, 02:52 PM
That photo is totally WOW! Now I want a super duper massive zoom lens! I'm so techical today!
I use bulb for fireworks shots. I just need to remember the tripod. :lol:

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 03:01 PM
yep set it on 17 mick - manual focus. tonight when jupiter is out or you can see a couple of stars - go out and manually focus on the stars - this is not easy but when you get it - stop and don't touch it - its usually all the way to one end and back a bit - don't use autofocus

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 03:04 PM
yep set it on 17 mick - manual focus. tonight when jupiter is out or you can see a couple of stars - go out and manually focus on the stars - this is not easy but when you get it - stop and don't touch it - its usually all the way to one end and back a bit - don't use autofocus

yep got that thanks. focus at which end 0.5 or 8? and thats it im set

thx chris

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 03:24 PM
it will be obvious wen you are looking through the viewfinder :D

good luck guys and again PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if any of you guys see anything

keith
26-09-2008, 03:26 PM
it will be obvious wen you are looking through the viewfinder :D

good luck guys and again PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if any of you guys see anything

Im all excited :lol: it's crazy but I'm looking at the clock all the time

simonwebb74
26-09-2008, 03:27 PM
I've been telling my boy about it on the way home from school. I think he thinks he is going to see this big spaceship in full detail. (Hes thinking Star Wars)

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 03:36 PM
OK this is far from brilliant but its what you will see

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wg3XcOb1cmE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wg3XcOb1cmE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Try and use the heavans above star charts to get your bearings so you don't miss at and make sure your watch is bang on :D

I bet its clouded out now after all the build up

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Try and use the heavans above star charts to get your bearings so you don't miss at and make sure your watch is bang on :D

I bet its clouded out now after all the build up

totally clear skies here at the mo :fingers: for tonight :D

lisaw
26-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks for video Chris - it's good to know what I am looking for :yes:

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks for video Chris - it's good to know what I am looking for :yes:

it was really good watching the ISS and the SS chasing it lisa :D

lisaw
26-09-2008, 04:06 PM
I will take the dog to the park at the end of our road tonight - it's very open there and i will get a good view hopefully and I know which way is West :D

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 04:10 PM
I will take the dog to the park at the end of our road tonight - it's very open there and i will get a good view hopefully and I know which way is West :D

you sure :wink: :lol:

lisaw
26-09-2008, 04:14 PM
you sure :wink: :lol:

:slap: I may be a woman but I like to know which way I am facing at all times :lol:

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 04:16 PM
:slap: I may be a woman but I like to know which way I am facing at all times :lol:

:lol: well thats easy your always facing forwards :wink: :lol:

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 04:17 PM
:lol: I hope I'm not about to dissapoint a whole lot of pepople and their kids :lol: if you miss it its around twice tomorrow

lisaw
26-09-2008, 04:17 PM
:lol: well thats easy your always facing forwards :wink: :lol:

Precisely :D

Dawn
26-09-2008, 04:26 PM
OK so I need to look South for Jupiter and then a bit north for the ISS? :unsure:

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Yep the ISS is flying tonight on a path that takes it dorectly over London - so it will be high over head but just a shade north - Jupiter is low to the south and about the same brightness

Oh god I hope at least one of you sees this or I am going to look like prize idiot

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Yep the ISS is flying tonight on a path that takes it dorectly over London - so it will be high over head but just a shade north - Jupiter is low to the south and about the same brightness

Oh god I hope at least one of you sees this or I am going to look like prize idiot

and a few people banging on your door :lol:

which way is south from me :wink: :lol:

Dawn
26-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Well I've just checked google earth to see which way I have to look from my house. :rofl:

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Well I've just checked google earth to see which way I have to look from my house. :rofl:

:laugh:

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 04:41 PM
UP

Tink
26-09-2008, 04:46 PM

Watchinherskip
26-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Great sight indeed to see the satellites especially the biggies of HST, ISS, Geosat, Envisat and the Iridium series....takes your breath away.

You can track the location of them all at this site...think I have it set for ISS right now.

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=25544

Watchinherskip
26-09-2008, 04:49 PM
IT is a real time tracker, so right now it is over Paupua New Guinea.

Skywatcher
26-09-2008, 04:49 PM
OK good people - good luck - and if you miss it tonight remember the heavans above link at the beginning of the thread

Clear skies everyone and hope you enjoy it

Please let me know if you see anything :D

Watchinherskip
26-09-2008, 05:20 PM
It looks like the Chinese launch of Shenzhou - 7 is following right behind the ISS tonight. They just launched the three man craft today. Give them a wave:overhere: as they go over.

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 05:22 PM
It looks like the Chinese launch of Shenzhou - 7 is following right behind the ISS tonight. They just launched the three man craft today. Give them a wave:overhere: as they go over.

will it be visible dan?

Watchinherskip
26-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Pretty small, would be a lot harder to see Mick, but it would be on the same path. Depends upon how clear the sky and how late it arrives. It sort of has to be there right after sunset (hour or two) or before sun rise. The satellite has to be up above still in sunlight (or dusk or dawn light) and you need be in the Earth's shadow. Wonder why the Chinese are "shadowing" the ISS?:shocked025:

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Pretty small, would be a lot harder to see Mick, but it would be on the same path. Depends upon how clear the sky and how late it arrives. It sort of has to be there right after sunset (hour or two) or before sun rise. The satellite has to be up above still in sunlight (or dusk or dawn light) and you need be in the Earth's shadow. Wonder why the Chinese are "shadowing" the ISS?:shocked025:

mmmm up to no good?

Britchick
26-09-2008, 06:12 PM
why didn't someone tell me before i ordered a curry to be delivered lol

Dawn
26-09-2008, 06:20 PM
I can't see Jupiter from my house. Too built up around here. :(

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 06:21 PM
why didn't someone tell me before i ordered a curry to be delivered lol

gis it here i'll help you eat it :wink: :D

Britchick
26-09-2008, 06:25 PM
i didn't mean that to sound ungrateful btw!!!

everyones getting their fleeces ready. What time is it for everyone else then?

Dawn
26-09-2008, 06:36 PM
I've seen Jupiter!!!!! :207:

I've dragged Adrian barefoot into the garden to see it. :rofl:

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 06:49 PM
I've seen Jupiter!!!!! :207:

I've dragged Adrian barefoot into the garden to see it. :rofl:

i just went out and saw it too, bright isnt it :)

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 06:50 PM
i didn't mean that to sound ungrateful btw!!!

everyones getting their fleeces ready. What time is it for everyone else then?

i know, i didnt think to text you sorry :hug2:

Dawn
26-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Made me feel all tiny.

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Made me feel all tiny.

when you think of all there is to think about to do with the heavens we are just a dot

Dawn
26-09-2008, 06:59 PM
If I think about that it scares me and I end up in the foetal position. :lol:

I'm going in the garden now with Steven's early learning centre binoculars. :D

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 07:08 PM

im off out now too, will post a pic later if it comes out ok lol

mumof2
26-09-2008, 07:27 PM
saw it! DAWN it should be over you by now!! :yes:

Dawn
26-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Just come back in. That was awesome. It was moving so quickly.

I was stood in the garden in my jack skellington jammies and winnie the pooh slippers. :7:

Claire
26-09-2008, 07:28 PM
That was one of the most awesome things I have ever seen! It was moving so fast!!! Thank you so so much Chris for telling us about it. My kids are gobsmacked!!

lisaw
26-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Saw it too :D It was moving faster than I expected, it's very obvious when you know what you are looking for!

Saw Jupiter through the binoculars as well - very cool!

Britchick
26-09-2008, 07:30 PM
that was sooooooooooooooooo cool thanks Chris!!!:hug2:

it just faded out when it got over the top of our house

no worries nut!!! :hug2:

where is jupiter? is it the bright star in the south?

Dawn
26-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Yeah. It looks ever so slightly yellow from my garden.

keith
26-09-2008, 07:33 PM
absolutely brilliant !!! THANKS Chris!!!!!!!

Saw Jupiter too :D

lisaw
26-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Jupiter looked a bit like the moon through pur binoculars - what looks like a star turns into something amazing through the binoculars. I want a telescope now :lol:

Watchinherskip
26-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Does move quite quickly. On the tracking site, you can see the region's name on the lower left side. About every second it changes to a new region (within the country...over Iran right now)

mumof2
26-09-2008, 07:37 PM
we've been skywatching and seen some twinkly lights glowing a bit blue (that was a few days ago) and tonight we saw (in the West) a bright twinkly glowing a bit red....me and youngest DS could see the red but DH and eldest DS couldn't......

thank you so much for letting us know about the ISS!

Watchinherskip
26-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Er make that Aftghanastan!..no ..wait....Pakistan...no wait..hehh:p

lozzy
26-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Just been out to our local park where it is really dark, saw both jupitar and the space station...:gy:

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 07:50 PM
bloody remote didnt work, so i missed the shot :( will get it tomorrow tho :D

mumof2
26-09-2008, 07:51 PM
I can see Jupiter from my back garden - in August I saw it from my front garden!

Britchick
26-09-2008, 07:54 PM
i think it's cool that we were all looking at the same thing at the same time. big hug everyone:yes:

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 07:56 PM
i see it from my bedroom window

mumof2
26-09-2008, 08:06 PM
i think it's cool that we were all looking at the same thing at the same time. big hug everyone:yes:

ah bless, same to you :hug2:

simonwebb74
26-09-2008, 11:01 PM
I took the dog, my camera and a very excited 6 year old to the park.

Jupiter was immediately obvious.

We then saw the Plough (I think)

Then the ISS appeared, my son was so excited shouting 'this is cooler than cool'

We went home and he pointed out what he had seen on his giant space poster in his bedroom. He wants to go back out tomorrow and watch it again!

Here is one of the photos. Please excuse the shakes, I don't currently own a tripod and I had an excited puppy jumping up at me!!!!

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 11:08 PM
thats what mine were like last time it came over simon

simonwebb74
26-09-2008, 11:16 PM
It was worth taking a few shots just to try out the new camera (at least I know how it works now!)

I wont try it again untill I have myself a tripod (and no dog)

I will probably go out again just to watch it though.

ukwdwnut
26-09-2008, 11:23 PM
of course it was, i just go out and try different settings to see the different shots i get, but trouble is i cant remember after, will have to jot it down so i know in future :lol:

Britchick
27-09-2008, 09:39 AM
of course it was, i just go out and try different settings to see the different shots i get, but trouble is i cant remember after, will have to jot it down so i know in future :lol:

nut i now have a little book i keep in my camera bag and i jot down ideas for shots and settings and tips, i;m obviously not as forgetful as you :p but it works :yes:

ukwdwnut
27-09-2008, 10:25 AM
nut i now have a little book i keep in my camera bag and i jot down ideas for shots and settings and tips, i;m obviously not as forgetful as you :p but it works :yes:

exactly what i was going to do :tongue0011-1::tongue0011-1::gy::gy::p015: :D

Skywatcher
27-09-2008, 01:08 PM
So so glad so many of you managed to see this - I am really chuffed - I am also touched that we were all out looking at the same thing :D magic.

The addiction will begin in earnest now.

Skywatcher
27-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Simon that is a great shot by the way :D what does it matter if its a little wobbly? you have a record of light bouncing off the sails of a spaceship - thats pretty awesome

Britchick
27-09-2008, 01:11 PM
how often does it pass over us Chris?

what i can't get over is that it looked like it wasn't very high at all. It suddenly faded out too- is that because the sun wasn't shining on it anymore?

ukwdwnut
27-09-2008, 01:13 PM
how often does it pass over us Chris?

what i can't get over is that it looked like it wasn't very high at all. It suddenly faded out too- is that because the sun wasn't shining on it anymore?

twice tonight brit, its on a low orbit i guess, i noticed that it just went from view too :(

Skywatcher
27-09-2008, 01:19 PM
It passed into earths shadow so it looks like its just turned off :D

every few months we get a run of a few nights when it is visible - last nights was good as it was reasonably bright( due to the angle of the sails) at a decent time of the evening and clear skies - TBH its pretty rare you get all three together - keen heavans above bookmarked and check now and again.

I am blown away by the enthusiasm and response to this thread :D

Skywatcher
27-09-2008, 01:21 PM
It orbits at just under 400km if I remember right

Britchick
27-09-2008, 01:26 PM
will you keep letting us know when we can see stuff like this please

Skywatcher
27-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Of course :D

ukwdwnut
27-09-2008, 01:39 PM
I am blown away by the enthusiasm and response to this thread :D

anything to do with space chris and im there mate :D

Britchick
27-09-2008, 02:10 PM
i'm going to try and set up my camera tonight to capture it. Have just rung my Mum and Dad to tell them to have a look. I saw on that site you linked to some actual photos of the space station- were they taken from earth? what kind of magnification would you need to see that?

Skywatcher
27-09-2008, 02:23 PM
not huge 200x probly but the tracking is thr challenge

Britchick
27-09-2008, 02:37 PM
back to jupiter, is it ESE?

and what aperture and shutter speed would you use for the ISS- i;ll be using my 18-55 too

Skywatcher
27-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Jupiter is south to SW and is gone by about midnight is is so bright it is the first thing to appear and is visible by roughly 7.30

with the iss i would use it on a tripod set at 18mm test manual focus first on stars before the passes iso 200-400 and bulb exposure for 1-2 minutes

Britchick
27-09-2008, 02:59 PM
yikes i've never done a bulb exposure before! manual is now out :lol:

Skywatcher
27-09-2008, 04:17 PM
the pases tonight are not quite as good as last night - the fist will be in almost daylight and wil appear feint and the magnitude of the second pass will be quite a bit dimmer than last night by the look of it - -1.7 which is still pretty bright ( the lower the brighter)

also will be quite a bit shorter than last night as well with the shadow being closer to overhead

Britchick
27-09-2008, 08:02 PM
it was fainter tonight as predicted and it faded quicker, i took the camera out and tripod on the right setting but when i looked through the view finder i couldn't see a blooming thing so i took and educated guess. I thought that the ISS was going out of view so i moved the camera so thats why its so short a trail, i'll know for next time- great learning curve thanks chris

here's my first attempt at space photography :lol:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff216/charliesangel2007/IMG_1942.jpg

lisaw
27-09-2008, 08:21 PM
It was very cool seeing Jupiter tonight at around 7 o'clock when it was still fairly light out. DS was so excited when he realised what he was seeing :D

simonwebb74
27-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Managed to video the early evening pass, it was extremely bright in the sky here. Will try and post a link to it as soon as possible.

Britchick
27-09-2008, 08:43 PM
cool!

ukwdwnut
27-09-2008, 11:20 PM
did you find the bulb setting julie, id never heard of it until last night lol, but there you go you learn something new everyday :D

Skywatcher
28-09-2008, 06:47 AM
Awesome my madness is spreading :D

ukwdwnut
28-09-2008, 08:54 AM
i think your right there chris :D

all these brill photos has got the passion for space going again :D

piglet
28-09-2008, 09:52 AM
I feel left out of this 'cos we don't get those views up here in Scotland. Is there any time we could see anything passing over or is it all down in the south?:(

ukwdwnut
28-09-2008, 10:10 AM
I feel left out of this 'cos we don't get those views up here in Scotland. Is there any time we could see anything passing over or is it all down in the south?:(

piglet put your location in this and have a look to see whaen you can see it

piglet
28-09-2008, 10:14 AM
piglet put your location in this and have a look to see whaen you can see it

Yeah, tried that yesterday Mick and unfortunately Morayshire isn't on the drop down list so I guess it can't be seen from so far up here :mad:

Britchick
28-09-2008, 10:19 AM
did you find the bulb setting julie, id never heard of it until last night lol, but there you go you learn something new everyday :D

no i didn't lol, but i looked it up in the index of the manual and it took me straight to it. I may go out again tonight to try and do it properly if the clouds go away.

ukwdwnut
28-09-2008, 10:40 AM
no i didn't lol, but i looked it up in the index of the manual and it took me straight to it. I may go out again tonight to try and do it properly if the clouds go away.

im going to do the same i didnt have time to go out last night i cooked my dinner at the wrong time so i bloody missed it lol

have you got a remote to use as well?

Britchick
28-09-2008, 12:01 PM
im going to do the same i didnt have time to go out last night i cooked my dinner at the wrong time so i bloody missed it lol

have you got a remote to use as well?

no i haven't, hence the camera shake. It is top of my list. I'll get one next time i go near a camera shop. Tbh i'm a bit nervous of leaving my camera on the tripod unattended if you like.

ukwdwnut
28-09-2008, 12:44 PM
no i haven't, hence the camera shake. It is top of my list. I'll get one next time i go near a camera shop. Tbh i'm a bit nervous of leaving my camera on the tripod unattended if you like.

in this case stand next to it lol and if you want a family photo use a point and shoot, i wouldnt hand over my camera for a group shot

ukwdwnut
28-09-2008, 06:27 PM
tonights fly by is

Satellite Rise time Direction to look Transit time Max elevation Magnitude

ISS 07:39:16 pm W 07:41:44 89 -3.0 (very bright)

Jules Verne 07:42:09 pm W 07:44:24 87 2.0 (visible)

ISS 09:14:37 pm W 09:17:03 26 -0.9 (very bright)

Britchick
28-09-2008, 06:30 PM
it's cloudy :(

ukwdwnut
28-09-2008, 06:34 PM
just looked out my bedroom window and i think its jupiter clear as a bell :D

Britchick
28-09-2008, 06:38 PM
i'm not sure if i've seen jupiter or not.

lozzy
28-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Just seen it, Kept going behind the clouds tonight.:(

Isafari
28-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Just seen it, Kept going behind the clouds tonight.:(

We could see jupiter too and just watched the ISS.....might record the next one

lozzy
28-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Does anyone know why there isn't any moon at the moment?

Britchick
28-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know why there isn't any moon at the moment?

i suspect there is still a moon but we just can't see it because of the angle of sun shining or something like that lol

if you're right and there is no moon, where has the man gone?:shocked025:

lozzy
28-09-2008, 07:21 PM
i suspect there is still a moon but we just can't see it because of the angle of sun shining or something like that lol

if you're right and there is no moon, where has the man gone?:shocked025:
Thanks, The man must be having a long sleep.:tongue0011-1:

Skywatcher
29-09-2008, 06:56 AM
OK guys - well done :D really grat you are watching it - Jupiter certainly wouldn't have been up at 7 am - whre in the sky were you looking :uncertain: may have been Venus at that time

No moon as its a 'new moon' at the moment so no bits of her are pointing at the sun - start to see a crescent early evening by the end of the week cloud allowing

Dawn
29-09-2008, 07:16 AM
I told everyone at work to go out and see the ISS but they all looked at me like I was mad. :(

Skywatcher
29-09-2008, 07:32 AM
:lol: Muggles!

simonwebb74
29-09-2008, 07:41 AM
OK, we're hooked, just brought my boy a telescope, Nanny & Grandad can give it to him for his birthday!!

Skywatcher
29-09-2008, 07:46 AM
ooo what did you get him?

simonwebb74
29-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Just a cheap one to begin with, 25 from Argos
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3841527/Trail/searchtext>TEELSCOPE.htm

I did stand in Costco at the weekend looking at one with auto tracking but decided 120 was far to much money to spend at the moment.

simonwebb74
29-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Here is a link to all the photos I took on Friday evening.

They are pretty poor, but I am strangely proud of them as a first ever set of space photos. They can only get better

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/70246310

Skywatcher
29-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Mate there is nothing wrong with them at all - TBH I'm not a fan of the 25 quid jobbies from argos - might be worth puttinh it on a normal photogrraphic tripod as the mounts they provide are pretty shakey - should be ok for the moon at low magnifications though - hopefully itr will do enough to inspire him to take it up seriously :D

simonwebb74
29-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Mate there is nothing wrong with them at all - TBH I'm not a fan of the 25 quid jobbies from argos - might be worth puttinh it on a normal photogrraphic tripod as the mounts they provide are pretty shakey - should be ok for the moon at low magnifications though - hopefully itr will do enough to inspire him to take it up seriously :D

Thats the idea. If he likes it we can always upgrade

simonwebb74
29-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the compliment. Looking at the quality of the photos you take, it means a lot!!

Britchick
29-09-2008, 05:56 PM
I told everyone at work to go out and see the ISS but they all looked at me like I was mad. :(

snap!!

Skywatcher
29-09-2008, 06:21 PM
really :unsure: strange people

Britchick
29-09-2008, 06:32 PM
i think my colleagues think i'm mad anyway lol and they don't even know the extent of my disney madness :lol:

Skywatcher
29-09-2008, 06:33 PM
oh good grief I NEVER tell anyone the extent of my disney madness