PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo experiences??

foreverducky
03-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Well, I am seriously looking into getting my first tattoo. I have wanted one for a long time, but I've now found a couple designs that I truly love. I would like to get it on my back, possibly middle (but upper) or my shoulder. Anyone have experiences that they would like to share with me. Good or bad. :yes:

PsychoAlice
04-10-2008, 02:28 AM
WOOHOO!!! Something I know about!!

Lower back is horrible pain

Upper back isnt too bad..your jaw vibrates when they go over your spine

What are you wanting to get?

foreverducky
04-10-2008, 02:35 AM
I found some art by a guy named Joseph Vargo that I'm just in love with it. When I saw it, I knew it was just it. It's a little dark, but sensual. :D

PsychoAlice
04-10-2008, 04:05 AM
I know who Vargo is!

He himself is very dark and sensual.....

foreverducky
04-10-2008, 01:42 PM
I definitely agree. This is a small world :) I actually ordered his art book from amazon to get a better look at the pictures.

PsychoAlice
04-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Love love the one on the carrousel horse...

Taja
04-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Just keep in mind that you made need to cover your glorious artwork for business. I work in a very conservative industry (accounting), so that's always a consideration in the field. We have colleagues who have to wear long-sleeved shirts in the summer--not at all pleasant in Phoenix! It's usually possible to expose a small tatoo on the ankle or arm, but large ones just aren't acceptable in most professional environments. No matter how gorgeous they are!

PsychoAlice
04-10-2008, 06:33 PM
There is the wonder place of skin that usually gets covered while in business attire...its called a back LOL people at work are shocked that I have tattoos...course they arent shocked that I have my monroe pierced...weird

foreverducky
04-10-2008, 10:27 PM
The mental health field is also very conserative. And I had really not thought of any other place than my back.

foreverducky
04-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Love love the one on the carrousel horse...

Yes, those are nice. I think they are all incredible, but i have a fondness for the dark angel ones.

Beccaberry
04-10-2008, 10:43 PM
I had a good experience with mine, though it's not on my back, it's on my ankle. My best advice? Spend enough time with your tattoo artist to feel comfortable with him/her. Make sure you trust them and that the two of you are on the same page before they begin. It's permanent, you know :wink:

foreverducky
04-10-2008, 10:55 PM
What? It's permanent??? No? Really? :lol: Just kidding. I think I've found a good artist. He's won some awards and I've seen samples of his black and grays. They're stunning.

Beccaberry
04-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Excellent to hear...sort of like a doctor or hairdresser...you really *need* to be able to trust them! As far as pain factor...I would consider my pain threshold to be pretty average...my tattoo took approx 45 minutes; and it only became "bothersome" about the last five minutes, and during the times he was working near my ankle bone...

PsychoAlice
04-10-2008, 11:20 PM
My back piece took 4 hours...course it takes up 1/3 of my back

foreverducky
05-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Did you guys bring anything along to distract yourself or did you just talk to them?

PsychoAlice
05-10-2008, 12:45 AM
My first one I was by myself but it is so small that it only took 10 minutes

The second one was a family affair
My mom, my kids and of course my sister as her and I were getting matching tattoos

Those werent very big either and took about 30 minutes each

Now my lower back, the big one, I took my brother with me to talk to me...as long as I had someone to talk to I was fine and it took my mind off the pain..

SleepinCatz
05-10-2008, 12:58 AM
My hubby put my tat on for me...since then I have had it touched up once. We were young and not savy in the tat inks...so the ink used wasn't the best choice. I am currently looking to get it touched up and added onto myself. It didn't really hurt...but the sound of the machince annoyed the heck out of me lol

foreverducky
05-10-2008, 01:33 AM
I thought about going by myself, but have recently thought about taking my best bud, to give moral support. :D

I ordered the art book and when I get it I hope to take it over to the artist, to see what he can do with it.

So what's the best aftercare instructions?

Dorothy
05-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Billie, where are you going to get it done (just in case I get brave enough to get one)

Dawn
05-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Teresa keeps telling me I'm getting one done with her next time I stay at her house.

I've picked a design.

Just not a date. :rofl:

PsychoAlice
05-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Great link for aftercare (http://tattoo.about.com/cs/beginners/a/blaftercare.htm)

foreverducky
05-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Billie, where are you going to get it done (just in case I get brave enough to get one)

I think I'm going to go with my shoulder, if I pick one certain design or on my arm should I pick the other design. I just haven't decided which of the two designs that I like more. They are technically both the same, but one picture has wings spread out and the other is long and narrow (ie: should or back). :D

Teresa keeps telling me I'm getting one done with her next time I stay at her house.

I've picked a design.

Just not a date. :rofl:

So what's the design, please share. :yes:

Dawn
05-10-2008, 03:50 PM
So what's the design, please share. :yes:

I want a little picture of Stitch with Steven's name in a banner underneath.

Because Steven is my little monster. :7:

foreverducky
05-10-2008, 04:00 PM
I want a little picture of Stitch with Steven's name in a banner underneath.

Because Steven is my little monster. :7:

Oh that's a cute idea! :yes: So when he is an adult and he sees it he will be reminded that he was a monster as a child. :lol:;)

Dawn
05-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Yeah I was going to have a heart with his name in but he is so like Stitch sometimes...

Tinker
05-10-2008, 08:32 PM
I have tinkerbell on my left shoulder and a dolphin on my right ankle . PA , gave me the Tinkerbell print . I call my tattoos , summertime tattoos, as its the only time you see them . :D

foreverducky
05-10-2008, 09:39 PM
:lol: that's a good name.

PsychoAlice
05-10-2008, 09:41 PM
PA, gave me the Tinkerbell print

:hug2:

Tink
05-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi Foreverducky! Nice to see you again!

Tattoos. :sigh; Well, I know they are a very trendy sign of the times, and no longer relegated to socially unacceptable forms of self expression. :D

Having said that, be totally convinced that the art you love today and are willing to have on your body for the rest of your life, will still look good when you are 80. Is it in a place that isn't going to end up relocated with age? :wink:

Shoulders can be revealed more than you may think. Mental Health is an extremely conservative field, and if you end up working in a place that gets together for holidays or formal functions, you will have to be certain that you don't inadvertantly reveal something you'd rather not.

On the other hand, MH is also one of the few professions where personal privacy is not only the norm, it is generally expected (no premature self disclosure, no transference, all that) so keeping your body art to yourself would be well within the parameters of your expected personal conduct.

I thought of getting a tattoo years ago, and never did. The desire passed. :shrug:

There are any number of my family members (some in high profile positions, some in very conservative fields) who have tattoos.

So, use that beautiful good mind of your's and I know you'll make the best decision about art and placement. :yes:

PsychoAlice
05-10-2008, 11:25 PM
I need a mental health advisor today...nothing to do with tatts...but Im loosing my mind...do they make a drug for that? One I can give my kids so I can keep my sanity? :wink:

Tink
05-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Mental Health advisors can help you through nearly anything that you are willing to work toward. :D (Key there is you)! :yes:

PsychoAlice
05-10-2008, 11:32 PM
LOL I want to not strangle 2 kids. Is there some sort of CPS for parents? WAH! lol I have totally derailed this

HIJACK...

CHECK PLEASE!

foreverducky
05-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Tink, you are wonderful! :hug2:

I have actually wanted a tattoo for years, but have just recently found some art that I truly love. Unless my shoulder skin is going to be in my calves in 40 years, I think I will be okay. :D Not too mention, aging is just a part of life. Things move south and become more wrinkled. Nothing I can do.

I'm not trying to be either ignorant nor rebellious with regards to the conservativeness of the mental health field, but when I'm on my own time, I do have the right to express myself. I realize that with this field I do take on a certain role, but I feel that I still need to be able to be myself. If that all makes sense.

foreverducky
05-10-2008, 11:52 PM
I need a mental health advisor today...nothing to do with tatts...but Im loosing my mind...do they make a drug for that? One I can give my kids so I can keep my sanity? :wink:

True story: my aunt met her neighbor once and this lady was taking some medication while they were talking. This lady popped the pill and said that the medication was so that she could handle her kids. :surprised010:

Tink
05-10-2008, 11:53 PM
It makes total sense. One of my relatives (who has a charge nurse position in a very busy ER) has a lower back fairy (I think, or maybe butterfly, can't remember). It's never seen at work, of course, but with a swim suit, or a short top, you can certainly see it. :yes: She is ultra professional, and feels exactly like you. She is who she is, and will express that on her own time. She has her navel pierced too. :yes:

Johnie
06-10-2008, 03:40 AM
I don't think the mental health field is as conservative as it used to be. Times change and people do as well.

I also see a lot of people who are working with kids that look more and more like the kids.

I don't have a tattoo. I always wanted one but then never got one. I kind of like being about the only person my age without one :p It makes me rebellious in a reverse sort of way.

foreverducky
06-10-2008, 02:03 PM
:lol: Johnie, you rebel you. ;) They have definitely become more and more mainstream.

karrie
06-10-2008, 04:07 PM
I have a tat on my lower back, im a self confessed woose when it comes to pain but didnt find it to bad at all. It took about an hour to do and am looking to getting another done but on my ankle this time :)

Tink
06-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Much of it Johnie will depend upon where you work (agency and state) and the population you are working for.

Here in FL, (not MH, but an example) working with the elderly as care givers (in an ALF) will result many times in your being asked to cover your tattoos and remove all but one set of earrings (and those need to be conventially in your ear lobes). Elders perceive tattoos and body piercing as aggressive, and feel threatened. When workers remove them, and cover the tattoos, things move much more smoothly.

Cohort group effect more than anything else, however ALFs are the homes of the elderly and not the workplace of the caregivers, eh?

Taja
07-10-2008, 12:55 AM
While I admire the artwork of many tatoos, I've never had the desire to have one.

My first reaction to seeing them is pain. Absurd, but there it is. I didn't even have my ears pierced until I was 40! And I'm sticking with that single hole in each ear! :lol:

PsychoAlice
07-10-2008, 03:02 AM
Im a freak i know,,,tattooed and pierced!

Tink
07-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Freak? Only if you self identify that way. :D

MystikPiglit
07-10-2008, 02:37 PM
I found some art by a guy named Joseph Vargo that I'm just in love with it. When I saw it, I knew it was just it. It's a little dark, but sensual. :D

Good choice. :)

I had my first tattoo at 40, a dragon on my upper arm,and 2 more after that. I would absolutely love more but now that I have an impaired immune system it would probably be a bad idea. :(
The only one that was uncomfortable was on my wrist. When the bone started to vibrate it made me feel queasy.... :rolleyes008: :lol:

The 2 most important factors are-
Choose a design that you will still love in 20 years time.
Go to the best tattooist you can find.

Then.. Enjoy!! :D

Johnie
07-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Much of it Johnie will depend upon where you work (agency and state) and the population you are working for.

Here in FL, (not MH, but an example) working with the elderly as care givers (in an ALF) will result many times in your being asked to cover your tattoos and remove all but one set of earrings (and those need to be conventially in your ear lobes). Elders perceive tattoos and body piercing as aggressive, and feel threatened. When workers remove them, and cover the tattoos, things move much more smoothly.

Cohort group effect more than anything else, however ALFs are the homes of the elderly and not the workplace of the caregivers, eh?

Totally agree with that.

I often wonder how the future will look when all the elderly are pierced and tattooed with names like Skyler, Brittany, Hunter and Heather. They will be cared for by more conservative youth with no tats and piercings named Mabel, John, Norma, etc.

Johnie
07-10-2008, 05:38 PM
To me, a tattoo is an expression of individuality. I would never pick a piece off the wall. I don't want anyone to have what I have.

foreverducky
07-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Totally agree with that.

I often wonder how the future will look when all the elderly are pierced and tattooed with names like Skyler, Brittany, Hunter and Heather. They will be cared for by more conservative youth with no tats and piercings named Mabel, John, Norma, etc.

:yes: We always come full circle.

foreverducky
07-10-2008, 10:16 PM
I have emailed my picture off to be drawn up by the artist. He's on vacation this week and then it usually takes 2 weeks. He's a very busy man obviously. Am excited. :bounce009:

PsychoAlice
08-10-2008, 12:49 AM
2 weeks?

Mine is booked 4 months in advance...

And Tink...I proudly bear the name Freak

People laugh at me cause Im so different...

I laugh at them cause they are all the same

Tink
08-10-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm with you, Sarah. "Dare to be different" is a motto I've long held. I too, am a self styled freak, simply different topics of freakiness, eh? :lol:

foreverducky
02-11-2008, 10:28 PM
My tattoo has finished being drawn up, I have to call on Tuesday to make an appointment. :D

Ursula
02-11-2008, 11:40 PM
My DD has just two weeks ago or was it three now... had a tattoo of a red rose with the words Mum in a scroll, she needed it touched up abit as the rose was more pinky than bright red. But it does look nice, I was with her when she had it done. I'm thinking of having a flower fairy or Tinkerbell one on my leg.

foreverducky
04-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I am scheduled for the 20th at 3pm. It should take 2-2.5 hours. :D