PDA

View Full Version : Does Obama Have Ties To Terrorism

Tinker
05-10-2008, 02:06 AM
or is it another way to discredit him . your thoughts ... can we post peacefully and with respect
or is it just another way to discredit Obama ... I'm not sure, heck I'm scared and would like your thoughts ... just honest views

Palin is now claiming that Obama has ties to terrorism . My childhood girl friend , a Christian, gave it to me last night or should I say made me stop and think , bringing back some fears/vibes I had .
I, too, was totally against Obama from the beginning and just when I started to think I might give him my vote . 1, from the beginning I said, where did he come out of the woodwork from ? 2 . it's a fact that he's a Muslim and his middle name Hussein 3 . his devoted reverend , all those years before ... we hear him say GD America, Obama defends him and then he make horrble racist remarks at a conference ... Obama this time denounces him from the family and friends that embraced him for all those years and Obama says he never preached/acted that way before . Clinton loses to Obama and I watch . She told me about his supposed ties to terrorism at the football game . I looked it up as soon as I got home . And their is information whether it be fact or not, or just another way to discredit him , but I'm going with what I originally was going to do and not vote . I'm not willing to take that chance .
Now, I'd like to hear your comments ... please

just like to add this is now all over the news CNN, MSNBC , Fox ... etc

keith
05-10-2008, 02:22 AM
I think it's pure scare tactics in order to try and discredit obama and move the conversation away from the economic situation.

It's pretty well understood that if you're a republican candidate and the current administration is republican, then you're going to share the pain if the economy is bad.

The article palin quoted went on to say "the two men do not appear to have been close. Nor has Mr. Obama ever expressed sympathy for the radical views and actions of Mr. Ayers, whom he has called 'somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago, when I was 8.' "

I'm not biased either way quite honestly but I hope that someone tells her to either prove the allegations or shut up.

Figment
05-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Tinker, hon. Most of it is bunk. Check out this website...snopes (http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/obama.asp)...They are very well-know and respected when dealing with urban legends and myths...and especially all those viral emails that go around. Hope this gives you some peace. Not saying you need to vote for the man, but you shouldn't let unsubstanciated fears make up your mind for you.

josh.p.
05-10-2008, 12:33 PM
don't think we'll need to remind anyone, everyone has been fine so far, but please keep this thread civil and polite, I know that people here are very passionate about certain topics, which is why we wouldn't like any fall outs.
I've seen it happen too many times elsewhere which makes me a bit over-cautious! :hug2:

Tinker
05-10-2008, 04:58 PM
I agree with you, josh p ! And I have been watching the debates, following the news , so forth and so on . This friend made me feel like I was a stupid person and that anyone that votes for Obama is risking the safety of their families and the future of the USA . I basically told her , as a christian she should realize that Revelations has already begun and since it is written, it too will be done . Argh , she had me ticked !!! I have followed this campaign from the very beginning .
But you have to admit, this is a Scary Thought .
I know that he is a muslim through his father that hasn't been in his life since the age of two .
I know that he was raised by his grandparents in Chicago . That his mother
( Hawaiian) was ill with cancer and died when he was a child . That he has been involved with this Ayers character, that was involved with a radical group that Ayers has outright admitted . That he has never shown remorse for the involvment or the bombings .
Ayers has contributed , even if just a small amount to Obamas campaign . Obama should have sent it back . Ayers is a very shady person . And if the shoe were on the other foot, McCain would be faulted .
Therefore, I am not casting a vote for either candidate . If anything happens to this country , I can honestly say , I didn't vote for him , but then again , I might change my mind again . I want to see this next debate . I hope its brought out .
Figment ~ I know about this snopes, believe me sweetie, LOL ... but this was on MSNBC .

MarkE
06-10-2008, 10:35 AM
I think it's pure scare tactics in order to try and discredit obama and move the conversation away from the economic situation.

I think its just scare tactics too, but I'd expect to see more and more of this in the coming weeks, and think that it might end up costing McCain the election. He was doing so well to start with because he was a 'different' type of republican, and vowed to keep his campaign honourable...

If all he does in the last few weeks is try to go negative, I think it'll backfire.

Everything negative on Obama is 'guilt by association' - if and when the Obama camp goes negative, as expected today with the Keatings scandal, it won't be guilt by association for McCain - it'll just be straight up guilt. Guilt that he can tie back into the mainstream media issue of the current day economy, where McCain's negative attacks will just be for the sake of it - or even worse, to deliberately try to change the subject. That gives Obama a huge chance to play the "look, I'm different!" card again, which always seems to bo Obama's strong point.

Andy _B
06-10-2008, 11:26 AM
I am a little confused as to how Obama can be called Muslim and then also critisized for his connection with his black Christian reverand.

Also;

The Facts: In making the charge at a fund-raising event in Englewood, Colorado, and a rally in Carson, California, Palin was referring at least in part to William Ayers, a 1960s radical. In both appearances, Palin cited a front-page article in Saturday’s New York Times detailing the working relationship between Obama and Ayers.

In the 1960s, Ayers was a founding member of the radical Weather Underground group that carried out a string of bombings of federal buildings, including the Pentagon and the U.S. Capitol, in protest against the Vietnam War. The now-defunct group was labeled a “domestic terrorist group” by the FBI, and Ayers and his wife, Bernadine Dohrn — also a Weather Underground member — spent 10 years as fugitives in the 1970s. Federal charges against them were dropped due to FBI misconduct in gathering evidence against them, and they resurfaced in 1980. Both Ayers and Dohrn ultimately became university professors in Chicago, with Ayers, 63, now an education professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Obama’s Chicago home is in the same neighborhood where Ayers and Dohrn live. Beginning in 1995, Ayers and Obama worked with the non-profit Chicago Annenberg Challenge on a huge school improvement project. The Annenberg Challenge was for cities to compete for $50 million grants to improve public education. Ayers fought to bring the grant to Chicago, and Obama was recruited onto the board. Also from 1999 through 2001 both were board members on the Woods Fund, a charitable foundation that gave money to various causes, including the Trinity United Church that Obama attended and Northwestern University Law Schools’ Children and Family Justice Center, where Dohrn worked.

CNN’s review of project records found nothing to suggest anything inappropriate in the volunteer projects in which the two men were involved.

Obama campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt told CNN that after meeting Obama through the Annenberg project, Ayers hosted a campaign event for him that same year when then-Illinois state Sen. Alice Palmer, who planned to run for Congress, introduced the young community organizer as her chosen successor. LaBolt also said the two have not spoken by phone or exchanged e-mail messages since Obama came to the U.S. Senate in 2005 and last met more than a year ago when they encountered each other on the street in their Hyde Park neighborhood.

The extent of Obama’s relationship with Ayers came up during the Democratic presidential primaries earlier this year, and Obama explained it by saying, “This is a guy who lives in my neighborhood … the notion that somehow as a consequence of me knowing somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago — when I was 8 years old — somehow reflects on me and my values doesn’t make much sense.”

The New York Times article cited by Palin concluded that “the two men do not appear to have been close. Nor has Mr. Obama ever expressed sympathy for the radical views and actions of Mr. Ayers.” Other publications, including the Washington Post, Time magazine, the Chicago Sun-Times, The New Yorker and The New Republic, have said that their reporting doesn’t support the idea that Obama and Ayers had a close relationship.

Skywatcher
06-10-2008, 11:31 AM
*sigh*

I wish politics focused on policy rather than discrediting the opposition I really do.

I was listening to a commentary on BBC Radio 5 th eother morning after the vice presidential debate - the American political correspondant felt it had been a draw - He said Palin and won on style and the democrat on substance

IMHO ( and I fully acknowledge it probably is just me) style should have nothing to do with politics at all.

Dawn
06-10-2008, 11:57 AM
*huge sigh*

Accusations like this destroy the credibility of the American electoral process. What's so wrong with being a muslim anyway?

Mags
06-10-2008, 12:10 PM
*huge sigh*

Accusations like this destroy the credibility of the American electoral process. What's so wrong with being a muslim anyway?

I have to say that puzzles me too. if he was a Muslim, why would it be an issue? My dd's best friend is a very devout Muslim, a lovely girl and extremely moderate in her beliefs. Boy, has she and her family suffered with abuse and much more over the last few years.
I really hate it when campaigns turn nasty like this.

Margaret

Disneybumble
06-10-2008, 12:15 PM
*huge sigh*

Well said Dawn.. This is Dirty Tricks at it's best. Just like Mark said the McCain campaign was supposed to be a clean one. It just makes me cross as surely this is slander.

Andy _B
06-10-2008, 12:20 PM
I have to say that puzzles me too. if he was a Muslim, why would it be an issue? My dd's best friend is a very devout Muslim, a lovely girl and extremely moderate in her beliefs. Boy, has she and her family suffered with abuse and much more over the last few years.
I really hate it when campaigns turn nasty like this.

Margaret

It is an issue because the extreme right wing has latched onto his middle name Hussain and his attending a school in a muslim country when he was small and linked that to Sadaam Hussain and Osama Bin Laden and used this as scare tactics.

Dawn
06-10-2008, 12:22 PM
So he's the only muslim boy with the middle name Hussain and the only muslim boy that went to a muslim school.

If it wasn't so serious it would be a bloody joke. It makes a mockery of the electoral process.

Andy _B
06-10-2008, 12:27 PM
So he's the only muslim boy with the middle name Hussain and the only muslim boy that went to a muslim school.

If it wasn't so serious it would be a bloody joke. It makes a mockery of the electoral process.

No but he is the only one standing for US president.

Dawn
06-10-2008, 12:29 PM
But why should his religion be an issue in a country that allows for freedom of religion in its bill of rights?

Andy _B
06-10-2008, 12:34 PM
But why should his religion be an issue in a country that allows for freedom of religion in its bill of rights?

Because the Bill of rights doen't Vote people do!

Dawn
06-10-2008, 12:42 PM
:rofl:

"We the people" need a lesson in electoral etiquette then. :lol:

MarkE
06-10-2008, 12:43 PM
It isn't, but they're exploiting the fact that (no offence) ALOT of the already republican / middle America voter base are ultimately racist (say whatever you like, but when they're in the polling booth, and no-one else can see them, the amount of people that will vote McCain purely on race is the most frightening thing of all).

If the republicans can put off fence voters from voting at all, and energise their own voter base to actually turn up, thats their most realistic chance of winning. Unfortunataly its something they feel they HAVE to try.

Skywatcher
06-10-2008, 12:55 PM
erm.... Wasn't there something about Bushes family having quite close links to the Bin Laden family at some point :unsure:

maybe I'm disremembering

Dawn
06-10-2008, 01:04 PM
No you inventificated that one. :lol:

Andy _B
06-10-2008, 01:05 PM
From Wiki.

Alleged business connections of the Bush and bin Laden families
Michael Moore's highly critical movie Fahrenheit 9/11 alleges strong business connections between the Bush family and the bin Laden family. Moore based most of his claims on Craig Unger's House of Bush, House of Saud which relates how Salem bin Laden invested through James R. Bath, the sole U.S. business representative for Salem bin Laden, some money in Arbusto Energy, a company run by George W. Bush[2].

Several members of the Bush family are investors in the Carlyle Group, a defense contractor and investment fund with numerous interests in the Middle East, run by former Reagan administration Secretary of Defense Frank Carlucci.[3] The media noted that former President George H. W. Bush attended an investment meeting at the Washington, D.C. Ritz-Carlton hotel on September 10, 2001 and in particular a meeting with Shafiq bin Laden, representing joint interests of the Saudi Binladin Group and Carlyle.[4] (Bush did not attend the morning of September 11, although it has been alleged that the meeting took place during the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Former Secretary of State James Baker was present, along with Carlucci.[4]) The Carlyle and Binladin groups mutually severed their business relationship on October 26, 2001.[4]

Dawn
06-10-2008, 01:15 PM
To be honest there's evidence to suggest that every modern president had some shady characters in their connections.

Skywatcher
06-10-2008, 01:15 PM
There you go then - he is prime Presidential material :laugh:

Dawn
06-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Well Mr McCain you have a totally clean past with no Mafia links. I'm sorry you are not qualified to be president. :lol:

MarkE
06-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Well Mr McCain you have a totally clean past...

Keating gave him money and tried, with some success, to get him to influence regulators back in the early 90's.

McCain has more direct links with shady people than Obama has with shady people 'by association'...

Watchinherskip
06-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Debbie, you have the right to vote anyway you wish. If you like the policies of one candidate over another, that is wonderful. I would hope that ALL Americans would vote on just that. Their platform and policy.

Over the past 4 or 5 presidential elections, character assasinations have become the norm and acceptable. IMO...the republican party uses fears, real and contrived to get their point across. Obama is Christian. Ayers did his most despicable acts 40 years ago when Obama was 8 years old.

My DSIL, and a friend in Houston send me these emails with blatant lies in them. Why I don't know. They are all based on scaring the public. IMO that is why Bush won the second term...at the "mushroom cloud" rhetoric by the VP. I for one will vote my concience, based upon the policies of the candidates. And in the words of Forrest Gump.....

"That's all I have to say about that.":p015:

Tink
06-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Wasn't Adolph Hitler a Christian? :unsure:

Johnie
06-10-2008, 06:25 PM
I think everyone should make informed decisions when voting. I don't beleive everything I see on the tv and neither should anyone else.

I am so tired of the hate campaigns. It just makes people look pathetic.

Britchick
06-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Well Mr McCain you have a totally clean past with no Mafia links. I'm sorry you are not qualified to be president. :lol:

he did cheat on his first wife so that may qualify him:rolleyes008:

Dawn
06-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Were there sexual relations and how are we defining sexual relations? :wink:

Britchick
06-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Were there sexual relations and how are we defining sexual relations? :wink:

wrong party!!!

Dawn
06-10-2008, 07:06 PM
D'oh!!! :lol:

Shellyamc
06-10-2008, 08:31 PM
I think everyone should make informed decisions when voting. I don't beleive everything I see on the tv and neither should anyone else.

I am so tired of the hate campaigns. It just makes people look pathetic.

I so totally agree :p015: Hearing things like this make me just as sick as the Caribou Barbie type comments that are going around about Palin. It just feels like jr high school all over again :rolleyes008:

Tinker
07-10-2008, 02:26 AM
WoW, alot was discussed while I was gone . May I please say that I have no problem with Obama being Muslim or part African American . not that anyone thought this , I just wanted to let you know . :hug2:He has as much of a right to have been Muslim as I do to be Christian . Whether he practices or Not !
Theres this fear in people since 911 . After 911 and the findings of whom was responsible, Muslims ... that never did a thing to anyone were being targeted just becauseof their beliefs . It was sad ! We have a little store in my area , run by sweet, sweet, people from India . Just because they wear turbans they were attacked . The elder was beat senseless . It was terrible ! Now, they hear muslim, they see terrorism .
I'm embarassed to say that I voted Bush in two terms and I won't be sorry again by giving my vote to MaCain . I have the right to just not vote . I know it took years for us women to get that right, but when you don't trust either one . :unsure: I'm interested in seeing the debate . If it were any other Democrat than Obama and its not just b/c of the discussion with my friend . She just reminded me of why I felt this fear in him . And thats IMHO . Its one of those hate to love issues for me with Obama . Its almost like I'm afraid to like him too much . I keep going back to my faith . Now, Biden, I LoVe Him and this makes it even harder . I wish he had run for president .
Latest polls, 36% Obama , 33% McCain and 31% undecided . Its going to be close . Good Luck to both candidates !

Tink
07-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Muslims were not responsible for 9-11-01. Terrorists were. The Irish are not responsible for the IRA's terrorism, the IRA is.

When a terrorist group is also identified with a larger culture it is critical to keep forefront in our thought processes, that the larger culture is not the responsible party. Christians are not responsible for what the Skin Heads do.

Any fundamental or radical group can emerge from a peace loving group. That does not make the peace loving group the responsible party.

Women died for the right to vote. I will honor their sacrifice. I can subject myself to a very difficult decision, in honor of what those women gave for me to have the right. To do less is to dishonor their memories, and the world changing gift they have given me.

Right after the Towers fell, I began to research about, and read the Qu'aran. The similarities between the Muslim faith and Christianity are mind boggling.

eeyoreguy
07-10-2008, 12:17 PM
WoW, alot was discussed while I was gone . May I please say that I have no problem with Obama being Muslim or part African American . not that anyone thought this , I just wanted to let you know . :hug2:He has as much of a right to have been Muslim as I do to be Christian . Whether he practices or Not !

I just have to say, he's not a Muslim. He's a practising christian and was raised by a christian mother. Yes he would have a right to be of Muslim faith if he so wanted, but he's repeatedly said that he isnt.

I'm amazed at how opponents on the right are suggesting that someone having a middle name hussein makes them a terrorist, or makes them a muslim for that matter. Never heard anything more ridiculous

I have the right to just not vote . I know it took years for us women to get that right, but when you don't trust either one . :unsure:

you do have that right but one of them is going to get in so it seems to me that it would be better to work out which one is the better.

She just reminded me of why I felt this fear in him . And thats IMHO .

I still dont understand your fear in him. You can't be afraid because his middle name is hussein. He's not a muslim so even if that was a reason for you to be fearful that goes away

Im not trying to get you to vote for him its just that I hate all the misinformation in the media and think as intelligent people we should cut through the rubbish

Andy _B
07-10-2008, 12:32 PM
It was sad ! We have a little store in my area , run by sweet, sweet, people from India . Just because they wear turbans they were attacked . The elder was beat senseless . It was terrible ! Now, they hear muslim, they see terrorism .

Indian, Turban - Sikhs not Muslim.

Dawn
07-10-2008, 12:54 PM
That's it though isn't it? Anyone with dark skin now is automatically labelled a muslim so therefore must have links with terrorists. I have a friend that is Hindu and she has been shouted at in the streets and all sorts of shocking things.

Ignorance!

Tinker
07-10-2008, 02:04 PM
thats the word Dawn, Thank You . My point exactly Muslims were NOT responsible , but because of the colour of their skin , they were targeted .

Dorothy
07-10-2008, 02:06 PM
This is all starting to remind me of what happened at the start of WW2 with how the Japanese were treated and then eventually how anyone of German descent were also treated once what was happening in the concentration camps became public.

Dawn
07-10-2008, 02:22 PM
No one ever learns the lessons of history. :sigh;

Skywatcher
07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
That is true - the only lesson we learn from history is that we never learn from history *sigh*

I find this all very worrying and sad to be frank

keith
07-10-2008, 02:53 PM
agreed :(

Tinker
07-10-2008, 04:39 PM
strange you brought that up Dorothy , we had Oktoberfest at my MIL's yesterday . She lived through thje war . She told us of how her mother told her to sit on her lap at eight years old because if the bomb hit the house, she had to die with her since no one would be left to care gor her . Can you imagine ! 8 years old ! We watched a documentary , all in German language, on WW2 and the destruction of Germany . Mom is from Munich .