PDA

View Full Version : grow your own vegetables?

wishonastar
05-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Im shocked how much things have gone up on our weekly shop :(

we have a nice garden so I was wondering about growing some fruits and veg. Any gardeners around here? No idea where to even start :lol:

Dawn
05-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Oooh pick me, pick me. :overhere:

We grow tons of fruit and veg. Well actually I grow it, everyone else eats it. :lol:

Start in spring basically. Over the winter you can dig the ground over and put in a general fertilizer - Growmore is the most popular.

In spring you plant stuff. I start some of mine early in my greenhouse but you can plant straight into the soil.

Onions are easy - buy bags of "sets" (tiny onions) and plant them. I haven't bought a normal cooking onion for years as they grow and store so well. Tomatoes are easy. Carrots, spring onions, spinach all pretty straightforward.

We grow strawberries, raspberries and blueberries too. Need a bit more work but well worth it.

We also grew peas this year - they were nice but you don't get many for the space they take. Some salad leaves. And cucumbers against a wall. Pumpkins - but snails ate them all. :( And herbs everywhere they will fit in. Oh and we have rhubarb too.

Slugs and insects are your biggest enemy though. :mad:

Britchick
05-10-2008, 05:41 PM
me too!!! this year i grew cauliflowers and brocoli, runner beans, peas, leeks, masses of courgettes

in the past i have grown tomatoes, melons, peppers, chillis, carrots

i have raised beds and don't have much room but everything has come in very handy.

I try and be as organic as possible and don't use bug killers. I use slug pubs

any questions fire away and Dawn will answer :lol:

Dawn
05-10-2008, 05:48 PM
I have a resident hedgehog and some slow worms that keep the slugs down. :D

And I squirt blackfly off with a hose - very satifsying. :evil:

Britchick
05-10-2008, 06:01 PM
i want a hedgehog, but you can keep the slowworm!!!

Dawn
05-10-2008, 06:07 PM
If your garden is secure you can adopt a hedgehog. Some sanctuaries have hedgehogs that can't go back into the wild but can live in a secure garden.

Slow worms are cool.

Britchick
05-10-2008, 06:29 PM
it's a secure garden............but one snag CHARLIE!!!

Dawn
05-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Hedgies are nocturnal. Do you have hedges or shrubs and stuff.

Britchick
05-10-2008, 06:41 PM
yes! with a little fence to stop Charlie getting in!!! do you think they would let us? where do i ask?

Dawn
05-10-2008, 06:45 PM
google adopt a hedgehog and look for the Epping Forest site.

Britchick
05-10-2008, 06:52 PM
i found a wildlife hospital about 15 miles away, will call them tomorrow, thanks Dawn!

Tink
05-10-2008, 11:48 PM
I want a hedgehog! Will they send one to me? I'll take very good care of it and not let any dogs or 'gators get it. :yes:

I love home grown peas, but they really are more for eating out of hand. Takes a zillion it seems to make enough for a proper side dish.

I love rhubarb too!

There is a very effective method for slugs. Low tins (think those disposable pie plates) placed around with beer. The slugs are attracted, clamber in and are drowned. You can also melt them with salt but that just grosses me right out.

Johnie
06-10-2008, 03:46 AM
ewww we used to do the salt thing when I was little. So gross.

I wish I could grow stuff. I love homegrown tomatoes. I have a black thumb....I can't keep plants or flowers alive.

Taja
06-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Our growing seasons are topsy-turvy from most. :sigh; Really takes a while to understand what to plant when. Some things you normally would plant in spring have to be planted now--others have to wait until late January or February, depending on frost.

Most citrus fruit does well here, as we usually don't have freezing weather. When Phoenix and the Valley of the Sun were more agricultural, there would be smudgepot warnings on the evening news and reminders on the radio stations! :)

We can't grow anything that requires a good cold snap--apples come to mind.

Too complex for me. And with long working days, trying to take care of plants just doesn't work!

Love the results thought! :lol:

Britchick
06-10-2008, 05:02 PM
There is a very effective method for slugs. Low tins (think those disposable pie plates) placed around with beer. The slugs are attracted, clamber in and are drowned.

that's what we call slug pubs Tink!

Jon said no to the hog :( he's soooooooo mean

Dawn
06-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Bad man. :(

Make him eat the slugs. :evil:

Britchick
06-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Bad man. :(

Make him eat the slugs. :evil:

i could make him beer and slug pie :evil:

Britchick
05-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Dawn, is it too late to put fertilizer on my veg patch? :unsure:

Dawn
05-03-2009, 03:33 PM
no - haven't done mine yet.:D

Slowhand
05-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Just to add that most folks recommend a crop rotation system also.
ie every year you plant a different type of vegetable in each space to prevent a build up of soil borne disease.

Britchick
05-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Just to add that most folks recommend a crop rotation system also.
ie every year you plant a different type of vegetable in each space to prevent a build up of soil borne disease.

i do that :yes: another tip is that beans tend to put nitrogen back into the soil

so what fertiliser do you recommend?

Slowhand
05-03-2009, 04:18 PM
i do that :yes: another tip is that beans tend to put nitrogen back into the soil
....and peas!

so what fertiliser do you recommend?
I use Growmore and an occasional dose of well rotted manure thanks to my friendly farmer neighbour who has a dairy herd of cows.

Britchick
05-03-2009, 04:27 PM
....and peas!

I use Growmore and an occasional dose of well rotted manure thanks to my friendly farmer neighbour who has a dairy heard of cows.

exellent, i shall send Jon in his car to get the manure :tongue:

Dawn
05-03-2009, 05:03 PM
I use the contents of my compost bin and a bit or organic growmore.

Britchick
05-03-2009, 05:04 PM
my compost never looks very good - its all lumpy :unsure: what am i doing wrong?

Dawn
05-03-2009, 05:09 PM
What are you putting in it?

Britchick
05-03-2009, 05:15 PM
grass, vegetable peelings, egg shells, tea bags the normal- is it supposed to be fine like bought compost?

Dawn
05-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Now you have to break it down yourself. :lol:

Britchick
05-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Now you have to break it down yourself. :lol:

oh, i always thought i had failed! will go and get some growmore to complement mine. :thumbsup: I feel like doing the garden this weekend :yes:

Dawn
05-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Nah I just shovel my compost over the garden and dig it all in. The lumps soon break down.

Britchick
30-01-2010, 04:17 PM
ok so i'm thinking about what to grow this year. I've had one of those cheap plastic green house things with plastic all over it but want to get a proper greenhouse. Was thinking of growing tomatoes and melons and cucumbers in it- anything else? Should i get plastic or glass? any ideas where to get one without having to take out a mortgage? lol

is it too late to dig growmore in?

Dawn
30-01-2010, 05:38 PM
too frozen to dig growmore in here. :lol:

I usually just bung a bit in the bottom of the hole before sticking the plant in. Or in the bottom of a seed drill.

I have a glass greenhouse. Plastic is safer but I couldn't say whether it's as effective as glass.

This is similar to what I have.

Halls Popular 6ft3 wide 8ft4 long - Small greenhouses - Greenhouses by The Greenhouse People Ltd (http://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/greenhouses/small-greenhouses/halls_popular_6x8/)