PDA

View Full Version : Weird laws

Johnie
07-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Ok, so Mike and I were dining at our local Denny's this evening. Mike orders the Grand Slam Extravaganza thingie. He gets eggs with it and orders them sunny side up. The waitress tells him he can't get them like that.....apparently sunny side up eggs are against the law in Hopewell :confused: I have lived here for 9 years and have never heard this.....

What weird laws do you have in your locality?

Tink
07-10-2008, 01:46 AM
Probably a health department ruling. You have to have a minimum temperature for hot foods, usually 145 degrees. A sunnyside up egg can't attain that temp, so they can't legally be served.

Weird laws? Not sure how weird, more like a holdover from ancient times, but in Winter Garden alcohol is not sold on Sundays. (Like it stops anyone). :rolleyes:

Tinker
07-10-2008, 01:57 AM
That is weird Johnie . Here in NJ , you have to serve food in order to able to serve alcohol on Sundays .

PsychoAlice
07-10-2008, 02:58 AM
thats how it was here in Colorado until this last July...the alcohol I mean...off to look for weird laws here!

PsychoAlice
07-10-2008, 03:01 AM
In Denver, it is unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next door neighbor

josh.p.
07-10-2008, 08:17 AM
In chester you are legally allowed to stand on the city walls and kill a welshman with a bow and arrow at midnight..... so my english teacher says..

josh.p.
07-10-2008, 08:18 AM
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article2251280.ece

Here are some more!

mainecoon lover
07-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Not a law of our country but Starbucks, apparently they are not allowed to name low fat food skinny anymore :rolleyes008:

PsychoAlice
07-10-2008, 11:01 AM
In chester you are legally allowed to stand on the city walls and kill a welshman with a bow and arrow at midnight..... so my english teacher says..

Isnt it in Chester they also throw cheese down a hill and chase it?

Dorothy
07-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Laws that are still valid in the city of Chicago

All businesses entering into contracts with the city must sift through their records and report any business they had dealing with slaves during the era of slavery.

You are forbidden to eat in a place that is on fire.

It is illegal to give a dog whiskey.

It is forbidden to fish while sitting on a giraffe’s neck.

Kites may not be flown within the city limits.

It is illegal to drink beer out of a bucket while sitting on the curb.

And my favorite one :rolleyes008:
It is legal to protest naked in front of city hall as long as you are under seventeen years of age and have legal permits.

Dawn
07-10-2008, 02:42 PM
In England it's illegal to eat mince pies on Christmas Day. :oops:

Taja
07-10-2008, 09:36 PM
I don't recall if it's still on the books, but at one time it was illegal to ride a horse in a saloon.

foreverducky
07-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Laws that are still valid in the city of Chicago

It is illegal to give a dog whiskey.

I don't think Arthur will rat me out. :gy:

Steven
07-10-2008, 10:35 PM

Hence why I don't go to Chester at night!:p015:

Johnie
08-10-2008, 12:35 AM
25. It is illegal for a cab in the City of London to carry rabid dogs or corpses.

24. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

23. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside down.

22. In France, it is forbidden to call a pig Napoleon.

21. Under the UK’s Tax Avoidance Schemes Regulations 2006, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don’t want him to know, though you don’t have to tell him anything you don’t mind him knowing.

20. In Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle.

19. In Ohio, it is against state law to get a fish drunk.

18. Royal Navy ships that enter the Port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London.

17. In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.

16. In Lancashire, no person is permitted after being asked to stop by a constable on the seashore to incite a dog to bark.

15. In Miami, Florida, it is illegal to skateboard in a police station.

14. In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation.

13. In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day.

12. In London, Freemen are allowed to take a flock of sheep across London Bridge without being charged a toll; they are also allowed to drive geese down Cheapside.

11. In San Salvador, drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad.

10. In the UK, a man who feels compelled to urinate in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel and keeps his right hand on his vehicle.

9. In Florida, unmarried women who parachute on Sundays can be jailed.

8. In Kentucky, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon more than six-feet long.

7. In Chester, Welshmen are banned from entering the city before sunrise and from staying after sunset.

6. In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.

5. In Boulder, Colorado, it is illegal to kill a bird within the city limits and also to “own” a pet – the town’s citizens, legally speaking, are merely “pet minders”.

4. In Vermont, women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

3. In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague.

2. In Bahrain, a male doctor may legally examine a woman’s genitals but is forbidden from looking directly at them during the examination; he may only see their reflection in a mirror.

1. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen - in case she needs the bones for her corset

Disneybumble
08-10-2008, 09:02 AM

Let's try this one

josh.p.
08-10-2008, 01:04 PM

And to think all this time I've been getting away with it!!!!!

Dawn
08-10-2008, 01:08 PM
17. In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.

Wow, if only I'd known that 6 years ago. :evil:

Rosie0610
08-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Wow, if only I'd known that 6 years ago. :evil:

:lol:

Could you imagine the look on the policeman's face if you asked for his hat!

Here in WNY you couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays before noon. They have since done away with that though. Now you can buy it at any time.

BevW
12-10-2008, 08:16 PM
This has got to be the wierdest thread EVER!!!!!!!!!!!
it's like those instructions on the hairdryer boxes....do not use while standing in a shower. DUH.

Steven
12-10-2008, 09:11 PM
14. In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation.

Do you think the politicians who made these up were drunk at the time ? lol

7. In Chester, Welshmen are banned from entering the city before sunrise and from staying after sunset.

Damn - can't go to work tomorrow.. Don't finish until after sunset!

Dawn
13-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Try it Ste, go on! :rofl:

Steven
13-10-2008, 09:00 AM
I called up work and apparantly it's not a valid reason...........