PDA

View Full Version : are you mac or pc?

dvcjane
16-10-2008, 12:03 PM
this is a huge fight in our house

I want to go mac for our new computer DH wants to stickwith what he knows :rolleyes008:

PsychoAlice
16-10-2008, 12:07 PM
stick with what he knows....what was his very first computer? Im sure it wasnt a PC....he had to change from that....how about this...since he likes what he knows he can keep the OLD computer and you go out and get what you want...the old computer has Windows XP and you cant get that anymore...he would have to get Vista...and he likes to keep with what he knows....riiiiight?

disneymom
16-10-2008, 12:26 PM
:lol: pyschoalice I love your reasoning

we're getting mac next time because Ill just go out and buy it

mgmrach
16-10-2008, 12:39 PM
mac and never looked back theyre much nicer to look at to use and they dont have problems like the others do

ukwdwnut
16-10-2008, 12:51 PM
stick with what he knows....what was his very first computer? Im sure it wasnt a PC....he had to change from that....how about this...since he likes what he knows he can keep the OLD computer and you go out and get what you want...the old computer has Windows XP and you cant get that anymore...he would have to get Vista...and he likes to keep with what he knows....riiiiight?

sorry girlie, you can still get XP, on laptops only tho that ive seen :)

i have PC's coming out of my ears but want a macbook as well :D

Claire
16-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Mac here and love it.

PsychoAlice
16-10-2008, 01:58 PM
:lol: pyschoalice I love your reasoning

we're getting mac next time because Ill just go out and buy it

And this dear friends is the reason I am not married...

sorry girlie, you can still get XP, on laptops only tho that ive seen :)

i have PC's coming out of my ears but want a macbook as well :D

Can it...there will be no more lip from you today....:tongue0011-1:

Watchinherskip
16-10-2008, 02:38 PM
School supplies us with PC laptops - so looks like that is what we will use. My DD is off to school next year and I think we will get her a Mac. She is now very interested in a degree in art...principally photography and I think that would be better suited for her.

Taja
16-10-2008, 02:39 PM
PC.

Most business software isn't available in Mac versions--or it's horrendously expensive.

I haven't used a Mac since it's early days, but the operating system was superior to DOS with the Windows overlay that was available at the time. That tells you how long it's been! :lol:

josh.p.
16-10-2008, 03:27 PM
this is a huge fight in our house

I want to go mac for our new computer DH wants to stickwith what he knows :rolleyes008:

Go mac! Go mac! You can always have bootcamp or paralells so that he can have windows when he needs it!

Macs are just so much nicer, everything is simplistic and they really think like a human. Plus there are no horrible silly error codes or crashing!

Beccaberry
16-10-2008, 03:32 PM
We're having this very discussion at work right now as well...our department has decided to buy new computers for the classrooms at the end of the term and we've decided to go with Mac's...the teachers are up in arms over it because they are all pc users...

Works out nicely for me though :wink: Work has designated me as "liaison" for the transition and are sending me to New York City in December for a conference :D NYC at Christmastime? Yes, please.

cathydisneynut
16-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Can use pc's much prefer my Mac!

josh.p.
16-10-2008, 03:45 PM
I think if you use a PC, a mac is an easy adjustment, if you have only ever used macs and go to a PC... that's when you'll have problems. I think alot mac stuff is just common sense, too.

Beccaberry
16-10-2008, 03:48 PM
...I think alot mac stuff is just common sense, too.

Which may be the root of the problem with some of my teachers :wink:

josh.p.
16-10-2008, 04:03 PM
We're having this very discussion at work right now as well...our department has decided to buy new computers for the classrooms at the end of the term and we've decided to go with Mac's...the teachers are up in arms over it because they are all pc users...

Works out nicely for me though :wink: Work has designated me as "liaison" for the transition and are sending me to New York City in December for a conference :D NYC at Christmastime? Yes, please.
That sounds amazing... please can I come with you... please... I'll buy you a BOX of cheap wine :p015::hug2:

josh.p.
16-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Which may be the root of the problem with some of my teachers :wink:
Sounds like my teachers... I really don't like some of my college teachers...

Beccaberry
16-10-2008, 04:19 PM
LOL!!! C'mon Josh...my guess is you'll be able to teach *them* a thing or two :D

josh.p.
16-10-2008, 04:25 PM
LOL!!! C'mon Josh...my guess is you'll be able to teach *them* a thing or two :D
Oh my IT teacher is stupid. He hasn't got the first clue about web design or print design. He's really obnixous too... he resents me using photoshop because "of the big file size" when its obvious it's just because h can't do it himself! He hasn't got the first clue.

Hex
16-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Ubuntu Linux on PC hardawre... Windows is not touching my main machine :)

I work as a developer using Microsoft technologies... however I have seen the light and power of the alternate universe...

Ok, we do have an old XP laptop in the house, the one Dawn uses, but we got that as a cast-off when her mother upgraded to a new laptop last year :)

BevW
16-10-2008, 06:20 PM
We are PC here...all the desktops and laptops. I really would love to get an Airbook, but can't find any extra money now. I would keep the PC desktop though....

Grammiepo
16-10-2008, 07:48 PM
PC here and an older one at that.

dave&pauline
16-10-2008, 08:14 PM
pc here, dont no why. i guess its cos thats what i no

eeyoreguy
17-10-2008, 12:02 PM
pcs around here although Ive been looking at macs

cosmicray
17-10-2008, 12:14 PM
used to be acorn but now pc

cosmicray
17-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Ubuntu Linux on PC hardawre... Windows is not touching my main machine :)

I work as a developer using Microsoft technologies... however I have seen the light and power of the alternate universe...

have you tried kubuntu with kde 4.1 ? or are you a gnome :)

Tink
17-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Forced to use PC laptop for work (IBM Lenovo) and I pretty much hate it.

Mac! All the way. It's the computer choice for people who are innovative, cool, and wicked smart. :D :D :wink: :lol: (No uproars now, it's a bit of a jest, eh).

Beccaberry
17-10-2008, 02:16 PM
OOOOOH Tink, I bet we have very similar work laptops :yes: I have Lenovo as well...AND when we switch to Macs in the classroom next year, I'll get a mac air for the teaching side of my job, but I'll have to haul around the Lenovo still for the admin side of my job!

keith
17-10-2008, 02:18 PM
OOOOOH Tink, I bet we have very similar work laptops :yes: I have Lenovo as well...AND when we switch to Macs in the classroom next year, I'll get a mac air for the teaching side of my job, but I'll have to haul around the Lenovo still for the admin side of my job!

I actually like the lenovos so there :gy: the T61 and/or the X300 are both nice units

You really shouldnt need to carry around a pc with a mac though! the mac comes with "pc" built in basically now ;-) so you can boot to either mac or windows with the same unit OR even run the admin apps you need seemlessly in the mac environment with one of the special products (vmware fusion 2 or parallels for mac)

Beccaberry
17-10-2008, 02:22 PM
I actually like the lenovos so there :gy: the T61 and/or the X300 are both nice units

You really shouldnt need to carry around a pc with a mac though! the mac comes with "pc" built in basically now ;-) so you can boot to either mac or windows with the same unit OR even run the admin apps you need seemlessly in the mac environment with one of the special products (vmware fusion 2 or parallels for mac)

I have the R61, and I don't mind it...it's bright and shiny and new and is very quick on the job.

I'll enjoy having the mac for the all the graphics based lessons we do in the classroom though :yes:

And unfortunately I will indeed have to carry both lappies around...not from a TEKNIKAL standpoint, but from a security one. I have information on my admin laptop that, for security reasons, I can't keep on the Mac (because in theory, it won't *always* be in a secure location :rolleyes008: ).

Taja
17-10-2008, 02:42 PM

And on OPM (other people's money) makes it even better! :lol:

Beccaberry
17-10-2008, 02:43 PM
INDEED!!!! That may be the very best part!

(Wonder if I can work in a shopping spree at Macy's as a business expense? :wink: )

keith
17-10-2008, 11:21 PM
And unfortunately I will indeed have to carry both lappies around...not from a TEKNIKAL standpoint, but from a security one. I have information on my admin laptop that, for security reasons, I can't keep on the Mac (because in theory, it won't *always* be in a secure location :rolleyes008: ).

argh sure :( I was thinking maybe they were using remote access to a server rather than data on the actual laptop.

ah well in any case at least you'll have a mega cool mac as well :D

Beccaberry
18-10-2008, 12:46 AM
Indeed!!! I'll be THRILLED!

Tink
18-10-2008, 01:57 AM
I have the T61 and would totally made up if you would tell me WHAT SO FLIPPIN GREAT about the thing? :unsure:

Everyone (well, lots of people anyway) get gooley eyed and ooooh and ahh when they see or find out that I have the T61 but NO ONE will tell me what's so great about it!!!

SO! PLEASE!!! Enlighten me!

Beccaberry
18-10-2008, 02:57 AM
*grin* But I don't *have* the T, I have the R :)

Um. It's quiet. It fits nicely in my backpack. The print scan is pretty cool (not useful mind you, but cool :yes: ) And, well, erm, um....it was free?

That's what I've got so far.

Tink
18-10-2008, 05:08 AM
Ummm, sorry. :sorry: That request was directed at Keith. :sorry:

keith
18-10-2008, 09:57 AM
I have the T61 and would totally made up if you would tell me WHAT SO FLIPPIN GREAT about the thing? :unsure:

Everyone (well, lots of people anyway) get gooley eyed and ooooh and ahh when they see or find out that I have the T61 but NO ONE will tell me what's so great about it!!!

SO! PLEASE!!! Enlighten me!

Well :) I don't think I'm going to say anything that'll persuade you it's as good as a macbook pro but as far as pc laptops go... it's relatively thin. It has probably the best keyboard that's ever been on a laptop. The construction of the thing is designed to last and not fall apart like some lesser laptops and it has a really nice screen.

Unfortunately, they still stuck windows on it which naturally makes it as frustrating as every other windows machine but still, the underlying machine is pretty good as pc laptops go :yes:

Tink
18-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Ah, well then. Yes, I agree with the construction comments. :yes: The screen and keyboard are really great. Performance is as frustrating as Windows can be. :sigh;

Thanks for the comments! :yes:

Beccaberry
18-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Do you know I paid (well not *I*, but I asked the school) extra to have the system DOWNGRADED from Vista to XP...because I was so adamant about not using Vista.

keith
18-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Ah, well then. Yes, I agree with the construction comments. :yes: The screen and keyboard are really great. Performance is as frustrating as Windows can be. :sigh;

The macbook pro is still a hundred times better in well, every way to be honest. (as I guess you'd expect)

catrancher
18-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Let me preface my remarks by saying that the following is strictly my opinion. As such, it's worth exactly nothing to anyone but me. ;)
So, please, take it in the manner it's offered.

I have been in computer technology in one form or another since 1969. As a programmer, systems administrator, etc.

I know... that dates me... and makes me almost as old as some of my other friends on this forum. Said friends to remain nameless and as such, will remain my friends. :yes:

Apologies, I digress.

Anyway, I have been a Mac user since they were first released in 1984. I'm currently typing this on my MacBook Pro.
In my current job, I have to use Windows XP based machines on a daily basis (both laptops and desktops) in support of the branch offices of a very large international financial organization.

I much prefer to work on my Mac than I do any of the Windows based systems that I must use in my work. Why??? An excellent question! I'm glad you asked! :p
It's simply that while I'm working on my Mac. Things just work intuitively on it. Much more so than Windows. At least for me. I really can't explain it any better other than to say that doing things on my Mac just seems more natural than it does on a Windows PC.
When I'm working on Windows, it usually feels just like that. Working. While on my Mac, it seems much more intuitive.

So, having said all that, I would once again remind you that the opinions expressed in this posting are mine and mine alone and may not actually reflect the actual opinion of anyone else living or dead. So, please, take them for what they're worth!

Hope this helps!
Tom (you can have my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the keyboard)

keith
18-10-2008, 09:19 PM
tom :rofl: talk about covering yourself ;)

I feel the same way :)

catrancher
18-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Keith,

Covering myself? You betcha! :rolleyes008:

I have no desire to be the next fatality in the modern day version of the Crusades!

Tom (runs away and hides)

keith
18-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Keith,

Covering myself? You betcha! :rolleyes008:

I have no desire to be the next fatality in the modern day version of the Crusades!

Tom (runs away and hides)

Everyone's been really nice here though, we've discussed it a few times with not even the start of a strop from anyone. Thankfully :lol:

Being a long time mac user, what did you feel about the change from macos to macosx? I cheered but a LOT of my mac friends are still upset

catrancher
18-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Keith,

Classic OS vs OS X? Well, keep in mind that I'm prejudiced here also. I'm also a long time Unix sysadmin in my other, slightly more professional life. So, when OS X came into being, I embraced with all the fervor I could muster.

Put another way, I really like it!

It's opened up worlds of stuff to me (as a pro computer geek) that I couldn't get to before (open source code, languages, utilities).

I think it's also been good for the average user community also. The base Unix operating system that's at the core of OS X has been around since the late 60's or early 70's. As such, it's tried and true. It's mature. It works and works well. To me, that translates into reliability for the end user.

So... while the conversion may have been (and still is) painful for some, I think that once you've made the transition, you'll never have to look back.

Tom (peeking out from where he's hiding and thinking happy Unix type thoughts)

keith
18-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Long time UNIX user myself... remember that old BYTE headline "UNIX is dead?" how wrong were they? :)

catrancher
18-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Unfortunately, I do remember those headlines. Sigh....

I'm aging before my very eyes....

Watch, here goes again...

I remember pre-Unix. It was an OS that grew out of a project that had participation by MIT, Bell Labs, and GE called Multics. I was working for Honeywell when they bought out the GE participation and created their own version. Of course, Bell Labs went on to correct the perceived deficienies in Multics and created what we know now and love as Unix.

Thus ends today's computer history lesson.

I think all I did was date myself .... :(

Tom (thinking young thoughts)

keith
18-10-2008, 10:01 PM
I remember pre-Unix. It was an OS that grew out of a project that had participation by MIT, Bell Labs, and GE called Multics. I was working for Honeywell when they bought out the GE participation and created their own version. Of course, Bell Labs went on to correct the perceived deficienies in Multics and created what we know now and love as Unix.

ah well although I remember Multics, the history you mention above pre-dates my involvement. One unix based heartache I was spared I guess!

Of course plenty of others along the way such as the trials and tribulations of unixware, possibly my favourite *nix

Nice to come full circle though and have mainstream software houses supporting a unix os even if they don't really realise/feel like they are :)

I'm still not 100% on the macosx GUI but no one else agrees with me so I've learnt to growl quietly whilst smiling :)

goofygal
18-10-2008, 10:06 PM
does all that mean macs are geeky and hard to use then? :rolleyes008:

catrancher
18-10-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm still not 100% on the macosx GUI but no one else agrees with me so I've learnt to growl quietly whilst smiling :)

Terminal is your friend! ;)

Tom (some people think he's terminal)

catrancher
18-10-2008, 10:09 PM
does all that mean macs are geeky and hard to use then? :rolleyes008:

Oh no! Not at all! Macs are easy to use! Very easy!

I'm the one that's geeky and hard to use! ;)

Tom (being his usual geeky self)

keith
18-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Terminal is your friend! ;)

Yes indeed :yes: and I love having terminal just a click away again :)

Tom (some people think he's terminal)

:lol: I'm sure people would say the same about me ;)

Great to meet another Mac enthusiast!