PDA

View Full Version : How many weeks vacation time do you get?

disaholic
19-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Just wondering how many weeks everyone gets and what are the rules on you taking it?

we get three weeks and have to book practically a year in advance. There's a huge fight every year :(

purpleprincess
19-10-2008, 08:54 PM
We get about 5 weeks on average ( this inc xmas and easter) aswell as the 8 block days off a month ( work shifts)

We book as and when we want as long as theres only 1 person off at any one time ( only 3 of us )

Taja
19-10-2008, 09:19 PM
In the US it really depends on the position, size and type of company where you work--private sector. Government usually has more days off (holidays) as well as vacation time and they are allowed to accrue it differently.

I tend to work in small- to mid-sized companies in the private sector. Most non-exempt (hourly positions) have one week vacation after one year of service and two weeks after two or three years. Some very small companies may require waiting five years for that second week! Three weeks kick in somwhere around five or six years for most of these companies. Non-exempt positions typically begin at two weeks vacation after one year, but have to wait until five years for the third week. Some companies permit more negotiation than others. :shrug:

Paid holidays in these firms usually are restricted to New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. If you're lucky, you might get the day after Thanksgiving and 1/2 day on Christmas eve and New Year's eve paid--some may offer the time off without pay. And if you're really lucky, you might get one to three PTO (personal time off days) per year or a couple of minor holidays.

I'm usually the only person at my level, so I have to be sure there are no deadlines looming while I'm on holiday or immediately thereafter. I also have to cover some of the other accounting positions at times, so I'm pretty restricted when I can take vacation time. Two weeks is about the maximum I can manage, and even then I'm working late the night before I leave and I'm back at work--arriving early and working late--the day after I return. :shrug:

What can I say? It's a living! :D

BeccaandTomsmum
19-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I only get 8 days holiday a year :mad:

But I do only work 2 days a week :p015:

I dont get bank holidays unless I work them in which case I can bank it and use it whenever, only 1 of us can be off at 1 time (7 in our department)

Isafari
19-10-2008, 09:57 PM
I am fortunate enough to work in a college so I get 12 weeks

PsychoAlice
19-10-2008, 11:30 PM
I get 3 weeks...but I have been with this company for 4 years. I have to take any and all sick days out of that too. I also get 6 paid holidays.

uscwest
20-10-2008, 12:50 AM
I get 26 Vacation Days, 13 Sick days and 10 holidays/year plus with my work schedule I have every other Friday off.

Val
20-10-2008, 07:33 AM
I take the time I want, but I don't get any paid leave.....
Hubby gets 8 weeks annual leave, no public holidays and up to 6 months sick pay.(after that he goes onto half pay for another 6 months, (I think that is right, touch wood we have not had to actually do that))

Slowhand
20-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Now that I took an early retirement I have 52 weeks holiday each year! :lol:
Having said that, I`m busier now than when I was working and I don`t know how I found the time to go to work!
I try to get away from it all 3 times a year for around 3 weeks at a time if possible.

lisaw
20-10-2008, 08:47 AM
DH now gets 6 weeks but that is because he looks after school dining contracts - most of those have to be taken in school holidays which suits us fine at the moment. I get 23 days from my part time job. :)

Grammiepo
20-10-2008, 11:52 AM
retired, bags packed, ready to go any time and where.

Slowhand
20-10-2008, 12:12 PM
retired, bags packed, ready to go any time and where.
It`s a great feeling isn`t it? :p015:

PsychoAlice
20-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Im moving to England.....

Hmm wonder if I could be a translator there....

Jodie
20-10-2008, 02:41 PM
25 days plus bank holiday so 32 days (I think!)

Gavin gets 22 days plus bank holidays but he has to take between Christmas and New Year off using part of his 22 so he only gets 18-19 days to choose when he has them.

That's still plenty but if I, like this year, can't take those days off I end up with a full week off when Gavin isn't!

MarkE
20-10-2008, 03:00 PM
I get 21 days leave a year (22 next year! whooo!), plus bank holidays (including Good Friday)... We shut for Christmas (either Christmas eve or the day before, depending how it falls) - going back on the first monday after new years day (this year - is that the 4th?), but we don't have to allow holiday for that - the place is just shut!!

Jodie
20-10-2008, 03:03 PM
but we don't have to allow holiday for that - the place is just shut!!

I want your job!

Britchick
20-10-2008, 05:15 PM
i get 29 days and 8 bank holidays.

Grammiepo
20-10-2008, 07:09 PM
It`s a great feeling isn`t it? :p015:
sure is, only a couple of downs, age and wall street.

Grammiepo
20-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Im moving to England.....

Hmm wonder if I could be a translator there....

:confused: kidding here?? Right????

sazzledazzle
20-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I am self employed so technically I can have as much time as I want, but in the high summer season (ie school summer hols) it's practically impossible to take time off at all, although this year I have booked 1 day a week off and had my right hand lady look after the coffee shop. My hubby runs the other cafe and he finds it v difficult to get time off then. We do however get 3 months off in the winter so we try to do all our travelling in the winter months, unfortunately schools don't like us taking Sam out during term time, which I do understand but it's the nature of our business I'm afraid.

Britchick
20-10-2008, 08:13 PM

someone i met was once very rude to me and said i spoke British and not English :lol: i was just pulling her leg about something!

Johnie
20-10-2008, 10:12 PM
hmmmm...I get all the state holidays and then some (usually the day before and/or after Christmas and New Years depending on how it falls. I also have a flex Friday every other week. I accrue 4 hrs of vacation each pay period. I have 40 hrs of sick leave. I also have 40 hrs of family leave.

PsychoAlice
21-10-2008, 10:40 AM

uhhh no not at all...dont americans need translators?

Cause that English they speak over in England is just weird...LMAO:tongue0011-1:

Im sure some dumb american would pay me....:gy:

Slowhand
21-10-2008, 11:05 AM
uhhh no not at all...dont americans need translators?

Cause that English they speak over in England is just weird...LMAO:tongue0011-1:

Nowadays whenever an American citizen says to me "I love your accent", my off the cuff reply is "Thanks, but I don`t have an accent. I speak English, it`s you guys who have the accent!". :lol:

Debbie2
21-10-2008, 11:48 AM
I don't work and DH runs his own company so the theory is he can take time off when he wants too. In practice he works 60 hour weeks, 48 weeks a year with no unpaid leave or benefits.

lexie
21-10-2008, 12:04 PM
4 1/2 Glorious weeks not including bank holidays

extra days are totting up due to long service, will eventually reach 5 weeks limit

Taja
21-10-2008, 03:15 PM
25 days plus bank holiday so 32 days (I think!)

Gavin gets 22 days plus bank holidays but he has to take between Christmas and New Year off using part of his 22 so he only gets 18-19 days to choose when he has them.

That's still plenty but if I, like this year, can't take those days off I end up with a full week off when Gavin isn't!

That can be a good thing, though! Just think of what you can accomplish! :wink:

lisawm
21-10-2008, 04:08 PM
I've been on holiday for the past 9 years or so......but that's because I'm a SAHM. ;)

My hubby has 25 days that can be taken at any time, plus his company break up for Christmas the day before Christmas Eve, and usually go back on 2nd January. He also has all the usual bank holidays.

Taja
21-10-2008, 07:45 PM
I've been on holiday for the past 9 years or so......but that's because I'm a SAHM. ;)

My hubby has 25 days that can be taken at any time, plus his company break up for Christmas the day before Christmas Eve, and usually go back on 2nd January. He also has all the usual bank holidays.

That isn't a holiday--that's a full time job with mandatory overtime! :D

lisawm
22-10-2008, 09:33 AM
That isn't a holiday--that's a full time job with mandatory overtime! :D

You're right! I wonder if I should ask for a pay rise......

The eldest two are in full time school though, and the youngest has just started nursery school, so I do get a couple of hours a day to myself.

MAZ
22-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I get 28 days plus two weeks at Christmas plus bank holidays, think that is pretty good really. Oh and paid sick leave, which I have never taken any.

Watchinherskip
22-10-2008, 06:20 PM
At one time I could answer that one....with...

My three favorite reasons for becoming a teacher -

June

July

August

But I ended up working each summer at a university, coaching a sport or now being a 10 + 2 empolyee (that does not equal 12 months in VA:p - they would have to give me annual leave..). So I get a few long weekends during the school year, Christmas Holidays, Spring Break and I have to work 42 days (June - Sept) in the summer. Can't complain though.

But wouldn't you need a planetarian to come to England and set up shop (I would love a 6 week vacation)