PDA

View Full Version : commission on TCs ?

keith
21-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Perhaps it's strange, but I've only ever taken cash over there :)

Im tempted to get Travellers Cheques this time but I've been reading that sometimes commission can be charged to cash them

"As with all Travellers Cheques, when cashed at a bank or bureau de change a commission charge may be applied and the amount varies from country to country and outlet to outlet. "

Now, I guess from what I've read from here that I'll never actually have to cash any, I can just spend them as cash? Does that go for basically everywhere in Orlando including restaurants outside Disney etc.?

I just dont want to get into a situation where I end up losing out paying commissions :/ especially with the poor exchange rate

Dawn
21-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes you spend them just like cash. And you get your change in cash.

Skywatcher
21-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Have used them lots in the states in Florida Chicago and Wisonsin and never had to pay commision - most places tae them directly as chash

keith
21-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks folks :D

MystikPiglit
21-10-2008, 01:18 PM
We always take TCs. DH will usually cash one in each morning, so that we have a bit of cash, at the Resort's main desk and we've never been charged anything. :)

Dawn
21-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Unless of course you take sterling checks. Then you will need to cash them.

Do not take sterling checks.

keith
21-10-2008, 01:20 PM
ooo ok so noted! the whole Travellers Cheque thing is new to me.

Do you bother taking ANY dollars as well? or is it just not necessary?

Disneybumble
21-10-2008, 01:21 PM
They're great Keith. I was asked for ID with them on our last trip. Only twice,but once in Walmart and once at premium outlets.

MystikPiglit
21-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Do not take sterling checks.

I agree!

We take only a small amount of cash, to use when we first arrive. I don't like to carry cash....

keith
21-10-2008, 01:22 PM
They're great Keith. I was asked for ID with them on our last trip. Only twice,but once in Walmart and once at premium outlets.

ooo ok, so guess it's important to carry my passport around with me if I'm using TCs thanks for that!

keith
21-10-2008, 01:23 PM
We take only a small amount of cash, to use when we first arrive. I don't like to carry cash....

thanks Diane :hug2: that's exactly the reason I've been thinking of TCs

Taja
21-10-2008, 02:19 PM
ooo ok so noted! the whole Travellers Cheque thing is new to me.

Definitely purchase your TCs in USD when visiting the US. :)

You'll want a few dollars for gratuities before you arrive at your resort--or buy something at the airport and get change.

Do you have a photo DL or other government issued photo ID, Keith? If so, you can carry that rather than your passport.

keith
21-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Definitely purchase your TCs in USD when visiting the US. :)

You'll want a few dollars for gratuities before you arrive at your resort--or buy something at the airport and get change.

Do you have a photo DL or other government issued photo ID, Keith? If so, you can carry that rather than your passport.

strangely enough I don't :lol: I only have the passport. I really should get a new DL. They didnt put photos on when I got mine

Skywatcher
21-10-2008, 02:44 PM
we take 1/3 dollars and 2/3 tc like to have cash

MystikPiglit
21-10-2008, 02:57 PM
I only have the passport. I really should get a new DL.

I changed my licence before our last trip so that I didn't have to carry my passport around. It's easier and safer. :)

Slowhand
21-10-2008, 03:20 PM
To be honest Keith, nowadays I don`t bother to take t/c`s at all.
On our last 2 trips this year I took out around 500 in US $`s cash and the rest of the time I used my cc.
I was amazed how folks use their cc over there even for very small purchases when they go to places like Publix for example.

As you visit WDW at least once each year, have you ever considered opening a US bank account?
We had to do it when we bought our villa and now I find it very convenient as whenever I need cash I just go to an ATM using my US bank`s Visa card and thus I don`t have to worry about the exchange rate as I`ve already got the $$$`s lodged in the account.
The account also earns a bit of interest and so long as I keep a small amount in the account, I don`t have to pay any bank charges.
If you need any info on how to set up an account then send me a pm and I`ll try to help.

Isafari
21-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I changed my licence before our last trip so that I didn't have to carry my passport around. It's easier and safer. :)

:p015: This is exactly what we did

keith
21-10-2008, 03:32 PM
As you visit WDW at least once each year, have you ever considered opening a US bank account?
We had to do it when we bought our villa and now I find it very convenient as whenever I need cash I just go to an ATM using my US bank`s Visa card and thus I don`t have to worry about the exchange rate as I`ve already got the $$$`s lodged in the account.
The account also earns a bit of interest and so long as I keep a small amount in the account, I don`t have to pay any bank charges.
If you need any info on how to set up an account then send me a pm and I`ll try to help.

I really really should do it.. I just always thought it would be incredibly difficult without a US address

Slowhand
21-10-2008, 03:34 PM
I really really should do it.. I just always thought it would be incredibly difficult without a US address
We opened ours way before our villa was built Keith so obviously at the time we didn`t have a US address ourselves.
Each month the bank sends my statement to my address over here without fail.

keith
21-10-2008, 03:41 PM
We opened ours way before our villa was built Keith so obviously at the time we didn`t have a US address ourselves.
Each month the bank sends my statement to my address over here without fail.

ooo ok that sounds promising! I'll check it out when Im over there I think :yes:

uscwest
21-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Keith, if you do decide to get TCs then I HIGHLY recommend American Express ones. For some reason I have never had a problem cashing one of them but I have heard of woes trying to cash VISA traveler's checks.

keith
21-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Keith, if you do decide to get TCs then I HIGHLY recommend American Express ones. For some reason I have never had a problem cashing one of them but I have heard of woes trying to cash VISA traveler's checks.

Thanks John! Will definitely make sure theyre amex! :yes:

Skywatcher
21-10-2008, 04:53 PM
We have gotten TC's from onlinefx, lloyds and the post office an they are always amex ones