PDA

View Full Version : The Abba Show

mumof2
23-10-2008, 09:44 AM
My friend picked me up at 6.30pm and we drove to Brighton, missed 2 car parks, almost took a wrong turn, then parked in the 3rd choice car park and walked across the road to the Brighton Centre at 7.20pm - as the show was to start at 7.30 prompt we made our way to our seats and were delighted to find we were actually in the FRONT ROW - wicked! :yes:

As we sat down 2 of her friends (a couple) arrived and sat with us, and the show did indeed start sharp on 7.30pm. The orchestra and backing singers took their places and played an instrumental medley before the band (Waterloo I believe) arrived on stage. :excited001:

It was absolutely FANTASTIC - brilliant, amazing.........the conductor very briefly narrated each stage of the Abba story, and the girls had lots of costume changes.

The lighting was fabulous, lots of clear twinkly lights clear that also changed to blue, spot lights, twinkly screens at the back which also changed to give the impression of a blue and lightly clouded sky, and later was flickering orange colours to represent heat.....

There was a gap between us and the stage to allow for dancing but during the first part of the show dancing was only allowed to 'Dancing Queen' after which everyone had to sit down again, and during the 2nd part dancing was not encouraged until the last 4, 5 or 6 songs at the end and anyone who could get down to the front for a boogie did!

At one point while we were dancing and clapping we looked behind us to see that practically the whole place was filled with people up on their feet dancing, including the balcony seats and the crew up in their control room!:2uge4p4:

After 2 encores it was all over and we made our way back to the car park enthusing at what a fantastic show it was and what a fabulous time we'd had.......

Slowhand
23-10-2008, 11:15 AM
I hate to admit it seeing as Eric Clapton is my idol, but I do confess to liking Abba music.
Mamma Mia is also a great show that my DW and I saw in London a couple of years ago.

mumof2
23-10-2008, 11:23 AM
i've seen clips of the Mamma Mia show on tv - it looks good :yes:

Watchinherskip
23-10-2008, 01:05 PM
That sounded like a perfect evening. ABBA had a big following there for a while in the states and Mamma Mia was big too. I would think that it would be a really "up" and positive concert!

mumof2
23-10-2008, 02:30 PM
it certainly was that - the women were excellent, their costumes were fab!

lisaw
23-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Sounds fab! Glad you had a good time :)

mumof2
23-10-2008, 04:10 PM
oh it was excellent - i would LOVE to see it again :yes:

Watchinherskip
23-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Were they playing with a philharmonic?

mumof2
23-10-2008, 04:46 PM
mmmm, I'm not 100% sure but it may have been the Alabama Symphony Orchestra - I couldn't really hear what they said over the loud music!

Disneybumble
23-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Sounds great M. I am very glad to hear that you strutted your funky stuff. I love Abba. Mamma Mia DVD is out Nov 24th.

Momof5
23-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Glad you had a great time. Abba is fun and Mama Mia was great.

mumof2
23-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Sounds great M. I am very glad to hear that you strutted your funky stuff. I love Abba. Mamma Mia DVD is out Nov 24th.

i may have strutted my stuff but i'd be hard pushed to call it funky!

Glad you had a great time. Abba is fun and Mama Mia was great.

thanks!