PDA

View Full Version : I hate this time of year :(

josh.p.
26-10-2008, 01:58 PM
The tortoises are on their 2nd day of wind-down for hibernation :( Their little faces are pleading for food!! LOL
The little torts won't be winding down till december as they don't take as long to empty themselves of food.

I hate winter :(

Tink
26-10-2008, 02:16 PM
:hug2:

Poohtle
26-10-2008, 02:26 PM
I never thought of torts wanting food like that nearing hibernation.:( I just thought it was a natural process or something. Oh, I would hate it too.

josh.p.
26-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I never thought of torts wanting food like that nearing hibernation.:( I just thought it was a natural process or something. Oh, I would hate it too.
It's a natural proccess, They've been slowing down naturally (Tommy has the strongest instinct out of them all) but they come charging upto you when you go in their shed through Habit I think. It's just me being daft! :p

I do feel sorry for them though

Isafari
26-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Awe.......Feed me, feed me!

Claire
26-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Why can't you feed them Josh?

mumof2
26-10-2008, 03:54 PM

i'd be interested to know that too please

Ursula
26-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Surely they need food don't they to hibernate?... I know nothing about tortoises. Isn't it abit like giving them a good ol' roast dinner then letting them snoozle it off on the sofa then?

josh.p.
26-10-2008, 06:30 PM
They need their stomachs to be completely empty before hibernating, anything left over will rot and kill the poor tortoise :(

Surely they need food don't they to hibernate?... I know nothing about tortoises. Isn't it abit like giving them a good ol' roast dinner then letting them snoozle it off on the sofa then?
No no no no no :tongue0011-1: It's the exact opposite. :p015: The reason that they hibernate is because in the wild, the temperatures drop, and their food dies off too. Being cold blooded, they need warmth to be able to digest their food, and because the temperature drops so low, they stop eating and bury down to sleep, to conserve energy basically.

It's a natural thing that they do and if you do it wrong, that is, not starving them for long enough, they will become seriously ill or die. They need to be at temperatures between 3-7 degrees to hibernate, which is why mine go in their drinks fridge :yes:

josh.p.
26-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Awe.......Feed me, feed me!
:slap::tongue0011-1:

Johnie
26-10-2008, 06:40 PM
How long do they hibernate?

josh.p.
26-10-2008, 06:42 PM
It depends. Basically I wake them up after they loose 10% of their bodyweight, or after 12 weeks, whichever comes first.

Claire
26-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Another question! Why is it that my best friends next door neighbour doesn't hibernate her tortoises Josh? Is it not necessary for all tortoises?

Ursula
26-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Can't you keep them in a warm spot in the house like a puppy?

josh.p.
26-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Another question! Why is it that my best friends next door neighbour doesn't hibernate her tortoises Josh? Is it not necessary for all tortoises?
It depends on the species of tortoise. If it is a medeterranian (sp?) tortoise, such as; Hermanns, Horsfields, Ibera, Graeca, then they *should* be hibernating it. Some people keep them year-round indoors and don't hibernate, which is no good for their health.
Perhaps she is misinformed, many petshops say "Oh no don't hibernate until X amount of years" which is a load of :slap: because in the wild, they ALL hibernate, no matter what age, and since they are basically wild animals, then you have to do what would happen in the wild. :p015:

Can't you keep them in a warm spot in the house like a puppy?
Not really, it's not good for them :( In the wild, they don't eat for the period they are hibernating, so, if they don't hibernate, then they are eating this whole time, and they grow much too quickly. This puts stress on their internal organs and can lead to liver problems. It's really best for them to hibernate (depending on species!) as it's what they naturally do. :p015:

mumof2
26-10-2008, 07:16 PM
They need their stomachs to be completely empty before hibernating, anything left over will rot and kill the poor tortoise :(

wow, i didn't know that!

josh.p.
26-10-2008, 07:22 PM
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/induction.htm
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/safer.html

There is some more information for the scientifically minded amongst you! LOL It's very long-winded but goes in depth!

This is a good guide for others, which I wrote myself;
www.tortoise-world.com (and click hibernation)
http://thetortoisehouse.com/Hibernation04.htm

HTH :)

Ursula
26-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Oh that'd be me then... I'm definitely scientificaly minded... lol... can't even spell it.

josh.p.
26-10-2008, 07:26 PM
I don't think I spelt it right either LOL

Beccaberry
29-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Wow, Josh...I never knew caring for your torts was so much work and research.

You're a good caregiver.

josh.p.
30-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Wow, Josh...I never knew caring for your torts was so much work and research.

You're a good caregiver.

Thanks :) I like to do a lot of reasearch about any animals, but obviously torts in particular because I have some. They are a lot more work than some people think. Hopefully next year I'll have some babies to show you all :p015:

Johnie
31-10-2008, 04:14 AM
Babies! How exciting!

josh.p.
31-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Remember my egg this year? That sadly got destroyed when my incubator went haywire.
Well, hopefully I'll get more eggs next year, too.