PDA

View Full Version : What are your plans this holiday season?

Johnie
05-11-2008, 05:13 PM
It's fast approaching! What will you be doing to celebrate?

Thanksgiving-me, Alysia and Mike are going to Kentucky to spend it with my grandma.

Christmas-we will be here with my family, my parents, my sister and new BIL. Mom almost always invites others to join us for dinner so who knows who else we might have.

The week after Christmas, my girls and I have rented a house in Ocean City and are going to have FUNFUNFUN!!

Shellyamc
05-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Not totally sure this year. I think Thanksgiving will be at my parent's house.

Usually Dh and I do Christmas eve at our house since my Nana can't do it anymore, Christmas day at my parent's house, then the day after with Dh's family. This year I'm not sure if my sister will have time off etc., so we might do Christmas day and have Christmas eve at my Parent's. Honestly I have no clue. I am ready to eat though :p015:

josh.p.
05-11-2008, 05:28 PM
We have a meal booked for the whole family on the 19th, since usually we go to my Grandad's and since he died we won't have a day where we all go and see each other (we'd meet there then he'd go to my Aunty's house for their christmas dinner)

Now we're going out for a meal, and then back to our house for a bit of a drink and stuff. Then we'll be meeting at my aunties house on the actual day to say merry christmas ect.

Not sure what we're doing on new years tbh!

Johnie
05-11-2008, 05:28 PM
I know! I had such a craving for turkey and stuffing the other night.

Dawn
05-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Working. :lol:

It's my turn for Christmas Day this year but I've scored an 8.45am to 2pm shift which means we can do presents before I go in and then dinner when I get home. Boxing Day will probably be at home then we have to fit the family visits in around the next few days because I'll be working again over New Year. It's Disney money.

Britchick
05-11-2008, 05:50 PM
we are having friends round for thanksgiving but we celebrate it the weekend after because obviously we don't have the thursday off. christmas we have decided to have just the 4 of us this year, we want to sleep in our own bed and watch what we want to watch, I am working Christmas eve, we have Sis and BIL with my 10 month nephew coming on the 27th for the weekend so that will be fun. We will be saving his presents for then.

Disneybumble
05-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Christmas Eve we always go out for a family meal.(Just us 5). Then we see my parents as Christmas Eve is their wedding anniversary. We then come home open the quality street and watch "It's a Wonderful Life" . Christmas Day it's at ours. This year there will be 10 of us squished in my house. All good fun

Rosie0610
05-11-2008, 08:56 PM
We are going to my mom's for Thanksgiving. This year my sis and niece will be in town. DH will fry the turkey and mom will make all the sides :) Yummy!

Christmas Eve we usually do with my mom's family, Christmas starts at my house, MILs for brunch, mom's for presents, dad's for dinner!! Whew...is it over yet?? :lol:

Watchinherskip
05-11-2008, 09:07 PM
We are spending Thanksgiving at DSIL in South Carolina. Long drive to SC:mad:

Christmas usually spent in Pennsylvania (we have the whole week off as DW and I are teachers) but DD has no doubt work at her coffee house this vacation. We will spend as much of Christmas in PA with my Mom and my brothers and their families.

NYE will be for three families (three of the four families that went with us to the Peaks of Otter last month) a time spent at Kiptopeake State Park Lodge (has 6 bedrooms). Should be fun, this is a new one for us.

mInNiE
05-11-2008, 09:17 PM
We have our works party the 19/12/08 then have the weekend off, then I have to work the 22 and 23/12 and I'm then off until 05/01/09!

Going to stay at my parents house for Christmas Eve and Christmas night, then going to London for a few nights for a break over New Year! So excited!!

Isafari
05-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Not everyone's idea of Christmas but we're having a month in Florida.....can't come soon enough.

Tinker
06-11-2008, 12:32 AM
I'd take a month in FL any time, Isafari ! :lol:
We go to the Pburg Easton football game Thanksgiving morning while the Turkey is cooking on low . Always smells and tastes better,if we win .
I work Black Friday at the Dis Store and the hustle & bustle of Christmas begins .
Christmas Eve ... we go to church and then to my girlfriends party & exchange gifts .
Christmas Day ... we stay home and relax .
Jim is turning 50 on the 9th of January and I'm planning a NYC trip for him .

kazzaqld
06-11-2008, 01:07 AM
We don't have thanksgiving in Australia - but DS' birthday is at the end of November so that kinda kicks it off for me.

He has asked for a Lasertag party again - I think this is the 4th year in a row?

For Christmas we are going to my sister's - traditional Aussie day of swimming, BBQ and a drink or 3 :lol:

Should be a good time!

foreverducky
06-11-2008, 01:20 AM
I will likely be doing school work during thanksgiving.

For Christmas, I will likely be alone, but my parents are visiting for a week :shocked025:during the last week of December.

Honestly, I can hardly wait for the snow to arrive, for class to take a break and for me to just rest. I love my the gas fireplace and am so excited to try it out. Am even thinking of purchasing some christmas decorations.

PsychoAlice
06-11-2008, 01:32 AM
I really dont even want to think about it...my grandma isnt here anymore..its gonna be sad...my aunt will make my grandmas sour cream salad..my favorite dish that my grandma made...I dont know if Ill be able to eat it...

BevW
06-11-2008, 03:38 AM
Hmmmm Thanksgiving Rick will be working....bummer.
Christmas...Rick will be working....bummer...BUT my son and his family are coming to visit after Christmas! woooohooooo I'll get to see most of my DGKs!
I've already asked for that time off....but that means I'll have to cook. Yuck.

Wendy
06-11-2008, 11:43 AM
I really dont even want to think about it...my grandma isnt here anymore..its gonna be sad...my aunt will make my grandmas sour cream salad..my favorite dish that my grandma made...I dont know if Ill be able to eat it...

:hug2: :hug2: It will be a hard time :sigh; Last year was my worst Christmas ever and I swore then that I'd not bother again. You will get through it sweetie :hug2: not without tears, they will come.

Someone very special told to me that I needed to find my own way to "include" my Dad and so I lit a candle for my Dad and we had it with us on the table when we ate dinner. Chris and I raised our glasses and wished him "Happy Christmas"

Nothing will replace them, but nothing can take them away completely, I am a part of my Dad, the same as you are a part of your grandma and that will be with us always :hug2: :hug2:

This year is a first for us, we will be away. We will spend Christmas Eve with Isafari and her husband and then Christmas Day, we will just see, we have reservations for brunch at Crystal Palace and dinner at Citricos. I may just decide to cook dinner myself, I'm just not sure yet :shrug:

PsychoAlice
06-11-2008, 12:06 PM
:cry2: :cry1: :sigh; :hug1: thanks

Wendy
06-11-2008, 12:11 PM
:cry2: :cry1: :sigh; :hug1: thanks

:hug2: I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to upset you hun :hug2:

mainecoon lover
06-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Not everyone's idea of Christmas but we're having a month in Florida.....can't come soon enough.

Sounds a great christmas to me :yes:. We are going to the Lands end hotel for dinner on the day but not sure what else. Dh has to work this year so we are unsure how it will all go.

Wendy
06-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Sounds a great christmas to me :yes:. We are going to the Lands end hotel for dinner on the day but not sure what else. Dh has to work this year so we are unsure how it will all go.

Wow, that's a long drive for you, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time :hug2:

PsychoAlice
06-11-2008, 12:22 PM
:hug2: I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to upset you hun :hug2:

I cry at everything this time of year...no worries:hug2:

Grammiepo
06-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanksgiving this year will be a Samoset, down on the coast in Rockport, right on the ocean.
Christmas Eve, everyone comes to me, for lobster stew.

Disneybumble
06-11-2008, 01:10 PM
For Sarah and Wendy :hug2:

Wendy
06-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Thank you hun :hug1:

Taja
06-11-2008, 04:13 PM

Sounds good to me, Diane! :D

Probably will spend some time with my cousins on Thanksgiving day and Christmas eve.

Unless I can snag a cheap airfare to southern California for Christmas--then I might stay with Leu & Grandpa Sweetie.

Or if I can snag a cheap airfare and hotel to/in Las Vegas--that's another possibility.

Or I just might stay home and hibernate! :lol:

Sarah, it took us a few years to adjust at the holidays (all days, actually, but mostly at the holidays) after our parents passed, but we're beginning to get back in the swing of things and develop new traditions. We all still talk about the wonderful--and frequently silly--things that made the holidays with my aunt and uncle (aforementioned cousin's parents), my parents and Uncle Art so special. :)

:hug2: