PDA

View Full Version : London..

karrie
13-11-2008, 03:26 PM
ok being a wee highland lass i dont know much about the big city! am planning a wee trip down there the first week in Dec. Hopefully will be there for 3 nights (mon-thurs) before reality sets in and have to go back to work! I have a major passion for musical theatre (yup im a geek lol) i have been lucky enough to see Phantom and Dirty Dancing down there before.

So what would you recomend for a few days?? I would love to see at least 1 show (maybe Wicked?? anyone seen it??) and do the usual tourist thing.

Any hints and tips welcomed!

Oh will be flying into Gatwick, then getting the gatwick express into Victoria :)

Dawn
13-11-2008, 03:32 PM
It'll be cold, wet and miserable.

Well check the half-price ticket booth in Leicester Square for tickets for same-night performances. Just luck as to what shows they have tickets for but they usually have something decent.

Oxford Street and Regents Street for christmas lights.

The usual tourist things would be the London Eye though to be honest in December you're not likely to have the clear skies to see all the way across the city. There's tons of museums depending what you are into. Stroll around Covent Garden. Harrods just to look.

What do you like apart from theatre?

MystikPiglit
13-11-2008, 03:42 PM
It'll be cold, wet and miserable

Except the year I went dressed in a thick sweater and coat....it was warm and sunny.... :rolleyes008:

This website has lots of useful hints and info:

http://www.talkingcities.co.uk/london_pages/essentials_main.htm

karrie
13-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Its a city i have never really spent any great length of time in. i was down for a night last week and we just did the usual tourist things! big ben...westminster abby...london eye, saw them setting up for the rememberance parade!

Evenings and nights are pretty much taken care off but i will have some time to myself through the day when the other half is at work! so looking for some things to do then...anything interests me really, esp people watching lol

Dawn
13-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Covent Garden is the place for people watching then.

The zoo is nice. V & A museum will keep you busy for weeks. :lol:

Slowhand
13-11-2008, 04:21 PM
You can`t go far wrong with any of the West End shows Karrie, my DW and I have seen loads of them...I guess that we must be "geeks" also. :lol:
Billy Eliot, The Lion King, Mary Poppins, We Will Rock You, Tonight`s the Night and Buddy have been our favourites, although my whole time favourite is "Phantom" which I`ve seen 3 times!
We also have tickets for Oliver in Jan. which we are both looking forward to seeing.

A great reasonably priced restaurant for dinner is "Salieri`s" in the Strand...right opposite the entrance to the Savoy. :thumbs_up:

Disneybumble
13-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Look on lastminute.com as they have some great theatre deals. Covent Garden is great, Oxford street for shopping. Selfridges should have their windows up. Big Disney and Apple store along Regents street. Also Hamleys along there to.

Dawn
13-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Oh god I forgot about Selfridges Christmas windows. They are a must see.

Britchick
13-11-2008, 07:28 PM
WICKED WICKED WICKED WICKED

we're going to see it for the 2nd time on dec 20th!! can't wait it's fabulous!!

Claire
13-11-2008, 11:39 PM
WICKED WICKED WICKED WICKED

we're going to see it for the 2nd time on dec 20th!! can't wait it's fabulous!!

Who played Elphaba when you saw Wicked Brit? Poppy loves Idina Menzel.

Karrie, I'm in London on the 13th Dec for Christmas shopping and we're hoping to have afternoon tea at Laduree at Harrods. Have you considered doing the whole afternoon tea thing?

PsychoAlice
14-11-2008, 02:54 AM
I really need to get over there....off to shop...

karrie
14-11-2008, 03:16 PM
hmmm lots of good ideas there! Im liking the idea of the big disney store, we dont have one up here and im needing a disney fix!!

SLowhand - i also am in love with Phantom! Tim doesnt really like the idea of muscial theatre tho but is willing to give it a try just to humour me lol.....It looks like i have convinced him on the idea of Wicked tho :)

Britchick
14-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Who played Elphaba when you saw Wicked Brit? Poppy loves Idina Menzel.

Karrie, I'm in London on the 13th Dec for Christmas shopping and we're hoping to have afternoon tea at Laduree at Harrods. Have you considered doing the whole afternoon tea thing?

we saw Alexa in June, she was fantastic - i saw her as Nala in the lion king. kerry Ellis is coming back for our december performance.

Its just incredible. Its so much better than just listening to the music, if you like disney musicals/films then you'll love it. I cried almost all the way through it :lol:

The Blue Fairy
15-11-2008, 01:14 AM
The Disney Store is no longer in Regent St but there is one in Bond St which is about half way along Oxford St. Sounds confusing but really isn't :lol: Oxford St is very long.

I'd also recommend a bus tour if you want to see the sights. You can generally hop on and off where you want. The Big Bus Company is one which runs the tours.

uscwest
17-11-2008, 03:47 PM
We spent considerable time in and around London on our trip there in June 2007. We had a marvelous time. I'll bet it will be gorgeous with the Christmas decorations up.

Britchick
17-11-2008, 06:00 PM
We spent considerable time in and around London on our trip there in June 2007. We had a marvelous time. I'll bet it will be gorgeous with the Christmas decorations up.

I will try and get some pics for you JOhn

PsychoAlice
18-11-2008, 01:15 AM
1500 for flights? Uh yea no..not anytime soon!

Britchick
09-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey Karrie,

did you go to London? what did you do? did you have fun?i'm going down a week on saturday to see wicked. looking for recommendations on what to see that's christmassy and anywhere to eat

Claire
09-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey Karrie,

did you go to London? what did you do? did you have fun?i'm going down a week on saturday to see wicked. looking for recommendations on what to see that's christmassy and anywhere to eatGlad you asked. I'm there with Maisie on Saturday. I need to know which shops have the best displays in the window!

Britchick
09-12-2008, 09:10 PM
ooooohhhhhhhh what you gonna do there Claire?

where are the best lights? Carys may be able to answer some questions

Claire
09-12-2008, 09:14 PM
ooooohhhhhhhh what you gonna do there Claire?

where are the best lights? Carys may be able to askWe're mainly doing Hamley's and Harrods for the Laduree cafe but apart from that we're just going to wing it. Going with a friend and her daughter. Stroppy has bailed out on us and is doing Paulton's Park with DH and Owen. There is a God!

Britchick
09-12-2008, 09:19 PM
just think of the money you'll save! that looks nice, have you been before?

Claire
09-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Way back when I was pregnant with Maisie we went for the day, apart from the odd trip to Ikea, I haven't been since. I will be taking my camera. Expect to be bored stiff!

Britchick
09-12-2008, 09:25 PM
no problem, i'm not taking my big camera to london - i'm going to get caitlin to take the one she's getting for her birthday!

lisaw
09-12-2008, 09:40 PM
St Christophers Place off of Oxford Street always used to have some lovely christmas lights - it's on the right as you walk from Oxford Circus towards Selfridges (oppposite Bond Street tube Station) it's down a small alleyway as far as i remember. It's got some lovely designery shops as well i think that you would like Claire :D

Claire
09-12-2008, 09:43 PM
:D :D :D

Britchick
09-12-2008, 09:53 PM
i would like to!!! has anyone got any valium for dh? who would go to london on the weekend before Christmas? :unsure:

Tinkerbell
09-12-2008, 09:55 PM
:wave: I'm taking DS for a weekend 20th & 21st, I'm starting to think I must be crackers :unsure:

Britchick
09-12-2008, 09:58 PM
might see you there Nicki!!!!

Dawn
10-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Selfridges have the best windows every year.

Britchick
10-12-2008, 06:47 PM
where is selfridges?

uscwest
10-12-2008, 06:51 PM
where is selfridges?
You mean the one in London? It is on Oxford St.Selfridges (http://www.selfridges.com/index.cfm?page=1181)

Britchick
10-12-2008, 06:54 PM
that's the one! wasn't sure if it was on oxford street or somewhere else like harrods is! thank youx

Dawn
11-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Oxford St near the Hyde Park end.

Claire
13-12-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm back from very wet and cold London! It was very busy!

We paid 21 for coffee in Harrods when we first arrived. :shocked:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn147/tushy3241/DSC00671.jpg

I loved looking around the Christmas department where everything was 50% reduced. I still denied myself the box of 6 Christmas Crackers at 999 a pop!

Window displays were fantastic. Here's one of a great fort.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn147/tushy3241/DSC00674.jpg

Here's a shop DH will like!

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn147/tushy3241/DSC00679.jpg

We stopped of at this wonderful shop (well it would be rude not to!)
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn147/tushy3241/DSC00680.jpg

From there we went to Hamleys by cab and then walked to Selfridges and I fell in love with almost everything in the Cath Kidston Dept before my best friend dragged me away from Louis and Mulberry!

We took another black cab back to Harrods were we bought lots of delicious macaroons from Laduree
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn147/tushy3241/DSC00682.jpg

Then from there back to the car park, pay the 44 car parking fee and drive home past this wonderful vision!

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn147/tushy3241/DSC00684.jpg

The lights came on just as we were approached in the car. A nice touch at the end of a tiring day!

Britchick
13-12-2008, 08:16 PM
that sounds good. Do you think it would cost a fortune to get a cab from victoria to oxford street?

Claire
13-12-2008, 08:21 PM
that sounds good. Do you think it would cost a fortune to get a cab from victoria to oxford street?About the same as we paid from Harrods Brit. Between 7-8.

Britchick
13-12-2008, 08:28 PM
About the same as we paid from Harrods Brit. Between 7-8.

so cheaper than the tube then lol! just working out distances

Claire
13-12-2008, 08:31 PM
The second cabdriver actually said that we'd picked the cheaper option by going by cab. He said the tube was mega pricy unless you plan to use it several times in one day on a day rider type ticket.

Britchick
13-12-2008, 08:35 PM
i do have oyster cards for dh and i but we'll have to pay out of pocket for Daniel and the stress etc. It wasn't too busy on the road then?

how big is the disney store and where is it ? thanks

Claire
13-12-2008, 08:39 PM
i do have oyster cards for dh and i but we'll have to pay out of pocket for Daniel and the stress etc. It wasn't too busy on the road then?

how big is the disney store and where is it ? thanks
When we arrived at 9.30 there was hardly any traffic at all but as the day progressed the roads were manic. I wouldn't be a cab driver or bus driver in central London for love nor money.

The Disney Store is in Oxford St on the same side as Selfridges. They're very close to each other.

uscwest
14-12-2008, 01:41 AM
We paid 21 for coffee in Harrods when we first arrived. :shocked: And just HOW MUCH coffee did you get for that amount. Good grief.

Britchick
14-12-2008, 11:26 AM
itinerary is as follows

arrive kings cross just after 9am, head over to covent garden by tube, have a starbucks, wander round shops, buy cup cakes from cup cake shop, con Jon into buying me something in Molton brown :evil: watch entertainment etc have lunch- don't know where yet- suggestions welcome!. Around 1pm head over to Victoria to watch Wicked!!! get out around 5.30 then walk to Harrods and then onto Oxford and Regent street, find something to eat. Train back just after 8pm.

Claire
14-12-2008, 11:34 AM
And just HOW MUCH coffee did you get for that amount. Good grief.
John, for 21 we got 3 cups of coffee, one freshly squeezed OJ and 2 croissants.

Brit - Do you like Wagamamas?

Britchick
14-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Brit - Do you like Wagamamas?

yes, that's the name i was thinking lol- that's probably where we'll eat near the Victoria Apollo - couldn't remember what it was called lol!