PDA

View Full Version : OOOh it is snowing!

Watchinherskip
21-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Well I woke up today to snow!:wavehands::snowflake2:Of course it is still too warm to stick but it looked lovely. When I got downtown to the museum, all the holiday lights were still on. Quite a beautiful display.

After the fourth grades leave the planetarium today, I have to do an install of the Christmas/Holiday planetarium show called 'tes The Season. The show deals with the irony that the coldest and darkest of seasons (well for us Kazz anyway) makes the most of light. It goes into traditions of gift giving, Santa clause, :santasleigh:Christmas trees,:xmastree: minorahs, and seasonal change percieved by Hopi culture, how luminarias came about and a lot about the possible explantions of the Christmas Star. I am going to put on some Frank Sinatra holiday CDs and begin the arduous task of the install. It s sort of getting me into the spirit though!:xmasbanner:

karrie
21-11-2008, 03:36 PM
its snowing here to again today, blizzards forecast all wkend! i love it yay

Johnie
21-11-2008, 04:15 PM
No snow here thank goodness!!

Watchinherskip
21-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Elizabeth City Schools cancelled today because of the snow....just pretty to look at here, not sticking at all. Very odd to have snow here in Tidewater this time of year..

PsychoAlice
21-11-2008, 04:41 PM
No snow yet in Western Colorado! Blue skies...but chilly

Watchinherskip
21-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Ran out for a quick bite after the fourth graders left for their schools and ran into a snow squall...near white out...how cool is that? Very weird for being this far south and being near the ocean.

PA..and a CO sky blue sky is a pretty one too...

uscwest
21-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Elizabeth City Schools cancelled today because of the snow....just pretty to look at here, not sticking at all. Very odd to have snow here in Tidewater this time of year..
No snow in NOVA. I remember one year, after I got out of the AF, my former boss had been assigned to Langley AFB. I was home on leave and drove down to see him and his family shortly before Christmas. It was freezing up here in NOVA and I got down there and it was 75 and sunny.

Johnie
21-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Keep the snow down that way! We don't want it here!! lol

Mom is driving up to Kentucky today and she sent me a text of the snow. We're headed up on Wed. She told me to check the weather because it was nasty between Lexington and Lewisburg.

Watchinherskip
21-11-2008, 06:54 PM
No snow in NOVA. I remember one year, after I got out of the AF, my former boss had been assigned to Langley AFB. I was home on leave and drove down to see him and his family shortly before Christmas. It was freezing up here in NOVA and I got down there and it was 75 and sunny.

That's what I am saying...usually moderate here. I think they were like lake effect snow near great lakes...this is bay effect show...forms over the warmer water of the Chesapeake...pretty rare for us though..

Got most of the show installed, reprogrammed dead links (lots of machines dying with age) and am going to align all the slides, and the hard part now is to set the planets for the conjuction of 2 AD. There is a lot of speculation that it really was the uncommon conjunction of planets that made the Christmas Star. This is where I earn my pay, it is tedious at best aligning the mirrors.

But I did get into the spirit while setting up with some holiday tunes from Frank..gotta get busy...

kazzaqld
21-11-2008, 09:22 PM
I like snow - when you can play in it! Having to go to work and school in it not so much.

:snowman:

Send me snowman pictures when you can!

Watchinherskip
22-11-2008, 02:18 AM
Kazz not to play the ugly American, but do you get much snow down there? I really don't know.

kazzaqld
22-11-2008, 02:41 AM
Kazz not to play the ugly American, but do you get much snow down there? I really don't know.

Where I live is probably equivalent to Florida's climate - so no, we don't. But there are parts of Queensland that do from time to time, and further south, the New South Wales and Victorian Alps have nice snowfields. Tasmania gets a fair bit too. I have been to the New South Wales alps and have cousins in Tasmania that I visit regularly so I sometimes get to see it then.

I lived in Germany for a year so that is my experience of going to school in the dirty urban snow - no fun!

And I had a white Christmas that year - like a picture postcard! :snowfall:

PsychoAlice
22-11-2008, 03:08 AM
yall know snow is a 4 letter word right...can i be offended? :wink:

Isafari
22-11-2008, 09:23 AM
We woke up to snow today on the north east coast of the UK

Watchinherskip
24-11-2008, 04:51 PM
We woke up to snow today on the north east coast of the UK

That must have been lovely. Nothing like waking up to snow, unless it is going to bed with a gentle snow falling. Especially if you are a teacher! Yeah for snow days!

Kazz I saw on our local news that Queensland got dumped with snow this very weekend. Saw video...that was a pretty big snowfall.

foreverducky
24-11-2008, 07:19 PM
I woke up to a lovely dusting of snow too. it was really nice and then I saw some really big flakes floating down. I have missed snow so much.

kazzaqld
24-11-2008, 07:40 PM
That must have been lovely. Nothing like waking up to snow, unless it is going to bed with a gentle snow falling. Especially if you are a teacher! Yeah for snow days!

Kazz I saw on our local news that Queensland got dumped with snow this very weekend. Saw video...that was a pretty big snowfall.

Mmm not too sure about that - if you mean rainfall then yes we had an awful lot! But of course it is mid-summer here so no snow about! Forecast for today is 27c/81f - snow would have no chance! :lol:

Watchinherskip
24-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Mmm not too sure about that - if you mean rainfall then yes we had an awful lot! But of course it is mid-summer here so no snow about! Forecast for today is 27c/81f - snow would have no chance! :lol:

Really? It was on the Today show this morning. :eek3:

Oh that Lester Holt. :nono:

Have to try to research it...

Watchinherskip
24-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I woke up to a lovely dusting of snow too. it was really nice and then I saw some really big flakes floating down. I have missed snow so much.

Well we are back to southern Virginia today...54 degrees sunny and winds out of the south!

Billie that must have been pretty..do you remember seeing the snow in the movie "A Christmas Story"? When Ralphie wakes up and the whole backyard was coverd...that was something.