PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good antivirus antispy for windows?

disneymom
30-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Ive been told I need them but no idea what to get? Free would be wonderful but I dont mind buying something if I have to

foreverducky
30-11-2008, 03:06 PM
A free antivirus that I love is AVG. :D

josh.p.
30-11-2008, 04:16 PM
AVG is brilliant, I'd pay for it. Bullguard is awesome if you don't mind paying;
http://www.bullguard.com/ukinternetsecurity_landingpage.aspx?campaign=googl ewwbrandav

I've only ever heard good things about AVG and Ewido Anti-malware (who are now both partnered)

keith
30-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Well you're about to hear something bad about AVG :lol:

Always one complainer isnt there, and it tends to be me.

Those of us "in the biz" so to speak regularly come across installations with AVG on which are infected with virii/spyware and general malware which AVG-free hasn't detected :( The price is right but there's a reason people still pay for other products.

There isn't an all round perfect solution to this problem, the consensus amongst my colleagues is:-

avg free - better than nothing but only just
norton - takes over your whole system. Good security but more trouble than its worth because it makes normal stuff fail
mcafee home 2009 - the best product we've tried. Good mix of security without making the system unusably slow or trapping good applications
mcafee corporate - even better and less obtrustive than home. The way to go for 5 machines or more

Microsoft is rumoured to be cancelling its paid for av/as etc service and next year will try and incorporate a free allinone utility to do the job since it feels that they're getting killed about their poor security v apple mac. Remains to be seen how that pans out.

Wendy
30-11-2008, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't touch AVG, I know of 4 people that have had it installed and all have had hidden malware on them.

We use Kaspersky, it's not free but it's good (touch wood) It doesn't resource hog like Norton does. We've got the Internet Security package which includes a firewall.

keith
01-12-2008, 12:00 AM
I wouldn't touch AVG, I know of 4 people that have had it installed and all have had hidden malware on them.

We use Kaspersky, it's not free but it's good (touch wood) It doesn't resource hog like Norton does. We've got the Internet Security package which includes a firewall.

yep I got Kaspersky free from my bank and I must admit it seemed pretty decent

Tink
01-12-2008, 03:39 AM
I have nothing sensible to add to this at all. I just wanted to say that I keep misreading the title as "....anti-TIPSY" instead of antispy. LOL.

Slowhand
01-12-2008, 12:22 PM
I keep misreading the title as "....anti-TIPSY" instead of antispy. LOL.
Hey I know her. Anti Tipsy was married to my Uncle Boozer! :lol:

keith
01-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey I know her. Anti Tipsy was married to my Uncle Boozer! :lol:

:laugh:

ukwdwnut
01-12-2008, 12:28 PM
ive used avg for a few years now and never had a problem whatsoever :)

keith
01-12-2008, 12:40 PM
ive used avg for a few years now and never had a problem whatsoever :)

...as far as you know ;)

I don't know if you saw recently about that spam organisation who had about 500,000 machines in their botnet. These aren't putting up web windows or dodgy things so you know you have a problem, they're using your machine to hack other machines, send spam and all sorts of nastiness.

Well the software is very clever and its very hard to detect because they specifically dont want anyone to know theres anything wrong.

It's that kind of thing that is why you need a great anti-malware suite of software because you can bet that a fair proportion of those 1/2 million pcs are being run by computer experts like you and me who think we're totally safe.

really scary stuff