PDA

View Full Version : OMG

mumof2
01-12-2008, 08:13 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7759624.stm

we've paid 150 to visit this place....we were all so looking forward to it. we called the credit card company but they were next to useless. The website (http://laplandnewforest.co.uk/) is not available, the phone number is constantly engaged.....i'm soooo angry! How can people get away with this sort of thing - we just don't know what to do now.

Claire
01-12-2008, 08:18 PM
I've been reading about this in the local paper. Not good at all. :fingers: that you get some good news soon.

mumof2
01-12-2008, 08:23 PM
thank you Claire. We may just have to grin and bear it if we can't get our money back - it's just so disappointing. They're making so much money out of us mugs.....:argue: :furious: :madflames: :stormmad::hopmad:

Claire
01-12-2008, 08:27 PM
thank you Claire. We may just have to grin and bear it if we can't get our money back - it's just so disappointing. They're making so much money out of us mugs.....:argue: :furious: :madflames: :stormmad::hopmad:Well maybe Trading Standards can get you some recompense now that they've started investigating. Have you joined the Facebook groups set up for disgruntled customers? Also you might want to ring the BBC's Watchdog. I hate this sort of think. You've spent your hard earned money on tickets and they think they can just rip people off with little or no come back? When were you due to go?

mumof2
01-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Well maybe Trading Standards can get you some recompense now that they've started investigating. Have you joined the Facebook groups set up for disgruntled customers? Also you might want to ring the BBC's Watchdog. I hate this sort of think. You've spent your hard earned money on tickets and they think they can just rip people off with little or no come back? When were you due to go?

no i haven't joined facebook - i didn't know there was a group, so thanks for that. I could try watchdog couldn't i.

we're due to go on 17th, we're hoping it's shut by then so it'll be easier to get a refund from the credit card!

Deb
01-12-2008, 08:33 PM
That looks awful!!! How dare they? I so hope you can work something out to get your money back!

Tink
01-12-2008, 08:36 PM
That is just so very wrong. :( I'm so sorry this has happened. :hug2: I surely hope that you are able to recoup your losses. It seems as though you should be able to protest the charges (as in NOT pay them!!!) through your CC company? :unsure:

lisaw
01-12-2008, 08:41 PM
That is just awful :mad: They have jumped on the bandwagon of the one in kent to make a quick buck! We seriously looked at booking it as well.

Really hope you can get your money back :hug2:

Wendy
01-12-2008, 08:42 PM
:hug2: :hug2: Oh no how awful, I can't believe your CC company won't help :( I would try again in the morning and hopefully you will be able to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about.

mainecoon lover
01-12-2008, 08:45 PM
:hug2: how bad. Its so wrong how some people are so willing to rip people off. I hope it gets all sorted soon and you get a full refund.

mumof2
01-12-2008, 08:58 PM
thanks everyone....well I've just emailed watchdog so i'll wait to see whether they can help me at all. The trouble is I think they've covered their backsides with very small print which is really unfair and i'm not sure how that'll affect the credit card payment/refund.

I don't mean to be rude but as we all know the calls to most companies are handled elsewhere these days and the people don't always understand what you are trying to tell them......sorry if that sounds rude or anything, i truly don't mean it to be, it just makes these problems even harder to deal with. :sorry:

We're going to stick to our plan of Christmas shopping tomorrow then call the credit card people when we get back - i will NOT let it ruin all my plans. :mad:

Isafari
01-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Oh dear...good luck with getting your money refunded. :hug2:

Tink
01-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Language barriers are significant Mumof2 and don't feel you need to apologize!!! It can be a real challenge to get information or useable action from someone who doesn't clearly understand what you are saying.

It's wonderful that you are not going to allow someone else's greed to interfere with your holiday. That would give them way too much power and influence over your affairs.

Have a wonderful time shopping!!!!

Britchick
01-12-2008, 09:25 PM
i'm really sorry hun:hug2:

josh.p.
01-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Could you not ask for your money back based on them being 'Unfit for purpose'?
so sorry you have been hit by such a horrible scam at this time of the year :( :hug2:

mumof2
01-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Thank you for all your kind words :hug2:

I will put this to bed for the night now I've gotten over the initial outrage! If we can't get our money back we'll just go and make the best of it and be sure to never get caught out like this again.

My inlaws (unknown to FIL!) are paying for themselves and the boys and DH and I are paying for ourselves so they lose more than we do which is just wrong - had I known before that it next to a fairground type of place (I'm still unsure) and owned by the same people I would've possibly steered clear, but there was no indication of that at all.

I know some of you saw the website, it did look fab didn't it.....:unsure:

keith
01-12-2008, 10:20 PM
T

it looked brilliant :( there's no way you could have known from the website, it looks like a bait and switch to me and I'm staggered that trading standards are being so wishy washy over it considering they've had over 100 complaints!!

All I can say is it DOES look more atmospheric after dark from what I've seen so maybe it's a late afternoon/early evening adventure to make the best out of it :hug2:

lozzy
01-12-2008, 10:28 PM
OMG what a shame, my friend went to the one in Kent at the weekend and said it was lovely, I really hope you get your money back..
Somebody who runs the new forest lapland lives down the road form us.:thumbsdown:

josh.p.
01-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Thank you for all your kind words :hug2:

I will put this to bed for the night now I've gotten over the initial outrage! If we can't get our money back we'll just go and make the best of it and be sure to never get caught out like this again.

My inlaws (unknown to FIL!) are paying for themselves and the boys and DH and I are paying for ourselves so they lose more than we do which is just wrong - had I known before that it next to a fairground type of place (I'm still unsure) and owned by the same people I would've possibly steered clear, but there was no indication of that at all.

I was shocked when I read that it was fake... I loved the website, thought it was very proffesional, and even mentioned it to my mum (I said we can take Niamh in a few years) :hug2:

Ilovesnowwhitej
01-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi i have 10 tickets for the 19 dec, does not look good, i am calling my cc tmmorrow, ask them for a charge back (worth a try). pm if you get any joy and i will you. Good luck
xx

foreverducky
02-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Wow! I'm sorry for all of this. I really do hope that things work out for you, but I'm glad that you are determined not to let this ruin your other plans.

Disneybumble
02-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Oh Mairead , I am so sorry. The website did look wonderful. I don't know what to say I am so sorry.

Skywatcher
02-12-2008, 08:22 AM
:mad:

daveann
02-12-2008, 09:53 AM
i thought i saw on the local news that if you paid by credit card and it was over 100 the credit card company had to help you out!!!! now could be wrong as this was on so much yesterday its not far away from me, so of the poor kids they interviewed were so dissapointed

MystikPiglit
02-12-2008, 11:27 AM
So sorry to hear about this, I hope you get something sorted out. :hug2:

daveann
02-12-2008, 01:29 PM
its been on the main news this lunchtime just says trading standards are still investigating

Shellyamc
02-12-2008, 01:47 PM
What a mess! Hope everything gets sorted out for all of you :thumbsdown:

mumof2
02-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Thank you everyone - i so appreciate your words, I really do :hug2:

I haven't called the CC company back yet, I just know that's going to be a chore! It would probably be more helpful if the place closes down before we go :yes:

We said last night that if all else fails we'll go down there and have lunch somewhere nice, maybe have a look round the villages and then go to "Lapland" later in the afternoon when it's starting to get darker.

Who knows, the boys may just enjoy it anyway, especially the younger one - and if the funfair's open (and free if they stick to what i heard yesterday about not charging for it) then the boys might enoy that too.

I'm not going to stress about it, if we can get a refund then all well and good and we'll take them elsewhere for the day but if not, well we'll just grin and bear whilst scowling and growling at the owners when the boys aren't looking!

it looked brilliant :( there's no way you could have known from the website, it looks like a bait and switch to me and I'm staggered that trading standards are being so wishy washy over it considering they've had over 100 complaints!!

All I can say is it DOES look more atmospheric after dark from what I've seen so maybe it's a late afternoon/early evening adventure to make the best out of it :hug2:

that's what we're thinking Keith - perhaps we can pretend it's not as bad as it really is!

OMG what a shame, my friend went to the one in Kent at the weekend and said it was lovely, I really hope you get your money back..
Somebody who runs the new forest lapland lives down the road form us.:thumbsdown:

what's their address! :slap:

I was shocked when I read that it was fake... I loved the website, thought it was very proffesional, and even mentioned it to my mum (I said we can take Niamh in a few years) :hug2:

yeah, best if you don't bother then Josh!

Hi i have 10 tickets for the 19 dec, does not look good, i am calling my cc tmmorrow, ask them for a charge back (worth a try). pm if you get any joy and i will you. Good luck
xx

10 tickets? OMG..... do let me know how you get on, good luck. :hug2:

mumof2
02-12-2008, 03:08 PM
oh, i forgot to say - I've phoned consumer Direct as advised on the news and they've registered my details for a call back within 24 hours so hopefully they can give me some advice.

No reply from Watchdog yet.

The Lapland landline number is constantly engaged, and the mobile one is switched off - there's a surprise.:thumbsdown:

Britchick
02-12-2008, 06:18 PM
it's just about to be on the news bbc1- they have now had over 2000 complaints

Beccaberry
02-12-2008, 08:19 PM
WOW. :( So sorry to hear this, hon...you've got a really fantastic attitude about it though...good on you :hug2:

Johnie
03-12-2008, 02:59 AM
:hug2: oh hon I am so sorry to hear this. That is just wrong. I hope you able to sort this out quickly.

mumof2
03-12-2008, 01:06 PM
thanks guys, and thanks Becca for your comments about my attitude!

i just can't be bothered to get all stressy about it, you know there's so much other stuff to organise for Christmas that i could do without the extra stress involved in being REALLY mad with them!

So, we've been taken in by a bunch of fraudsters - I'm angry with them naturally but if we do end up having to go i don't want to ruin it too much for the boys before we even get there

We're just wording a letter to the company to ask for a refund but I know before we send it it's not gonna happen, but it's the process we have to go through.

Will keep you all updated.....something tells me they won't be doing it again next year!

Tink
03-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Doing what the situation warrants is a great idea! :yes: That way, no excuses can be laid at your door, eh? If this sleazy company is ever made to reimburse those they have stolen from, you will have conducted yourself with dignity and that is what matters.

Surely do hope the money you spent on tickets is returned to you! Or, if not that at least that the place has made some improvements as are hinted at on the video. :hug2:

mumof2
03-12-2008, 05:19 PM
i spoke to Consumer Direct that Trading standards were advising people to call - the girl there was so friendly and helpful which made a change from the CC company!

She agreed we should write to the company to ask for a refund and if they don't give us one then we'll have to atually attend in order to make a complaint about what's not there if you know what I mean!

The girl also advised me that the company have been given targets to meet by Trading Standards but she wasn't aware of what they were.

I now have a case number to quote if I call them back and they will give me step by step instructions on what to do.

DH emailed CC company last night explaining the situ and they emailed back saying they'll send out a dispute form which will take approx 7 days then we have to return it and they will investigate, so he's emailed them back asking what the likelyhood is of getting a refund before the event - we have nothing back from them yet.

Tink
03-12-2008, 06:34 PM
:hug2: Isn't it ridiculous? You purchase something in good faith, and now you have to jump through all these hoops and spend all this time trying to protect your interests. :(

mumof2
03-12-2008, 06:42 PM
:hug2: Isn't it ridiculous? You purchase something in good faith, and now you have to jump through all these hoops and spend all this time trying to protect your interests. :(

i know - it's ourageous. Why does everything have to be such a battle?

We've just watched the local news and the company address is a little industrial unit belonging to a different company name, although I think it's probably still the same people.

A local news reporter was at the Lapland venue (which is a couple of hours drive from the company address) and said only a couple of cars went in - we're sticking to our plan because right now we're just not sure what else to do :(

Claire
04-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7765080.stm) is the latest news. I 'm hoping this makes getting a refund much easier for you.

mumof2
04-12-2008, 04:23 PM
wow - thank you Claire.....:hug2:

in a strange way that's good news because, as you say, getting a refund from the CC company *may* be easier (fingers crossed) :unsure:

Beccaberry
04-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Wow. It just gets worse and worse doesn't it?

:hug2: to you mumof2....keep hanging in there!

mumof2
04-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Wow. It just gets worse and worse doesn't it?

:hug2: to you mumof2....keep hanging in there!

thanks Becca.....we had hoped it might shut down as that *should* be easier to get a refund but judging by the response when we phoned the CC company the other I'm really not that sure!

My MIL has just told me that one of the sleezy national papers said the 2 guys running it have allegedly(sp?) been in prison for tax evasion - i repeat allegedly as i don't want to get in any trouble!

yikes! if anyone thinks i *will* get in trouble can a mod delete what i just said about them please!

mumof2
04-12-2008, 06:11 PM
found this (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases?gclid=CIP79bHGp5cCFQrUlAodZibzIw#excepti ons) - it helps to put our minds at rest......good old Martin Lewis! :yes:

mumof2
04-12-2008, 06:14 PM
just found this on another website

"With my deepest regret and sincerest apology I am left with no option but to announce that I am forced to close the children's entertainment theme park "Lapland New Forest" for 2008 due (I believe at the time of publishing) to:

Intentional organised crowd manipulation and event sabotage during and since our first trading weekend.
The unscrupulous and inaccurate negative bias media broadcasts of both local and national press and television companies that contributed significantly to fuelling widespread public concern, frenzy and distraction since the 1st December 2008.
What I believe to be a wholly illegal action by the credit merchant company called "Streamline" of seizing /withdrawing all funds without notice from the Lapland New Forest Ltd bank account leaving us completely unable to trade.
For all people wishing to claim financial reimbursement I can only advise (at the time of writing) that you return to our website for further information on this important matter.

Both I and all of the Lapland New Forest Team have had every intention of both continuing and continuing to enhance our children's event ... we have all put many months of hard planning, endeavour and finance into the Christmas theme park ... our wonderful venture and advertising campaign proved to be highly popular and many of our visitors did have a great day with us!

We are all deeply upset at the outrageous lies, slander, accusations, violent threats and lack of official support we have endured and I have every intention of pursuing all matters to the full extent of the law.

From myself and every member of the Lapland New Forest Team to ALL of our valued customers and incredible team players that contributed so much to our honourable enterprise - we look forward to reaching a clear and satisfactory conclusion as soon as is possble.

Victor Mears
Director of Lapland New Forest Ltd. "

lozzy
04-12-2008, 06:34 PM
The tv crew where outside Victor mears flat today. My DF said he has been getting about 300 letters a day since it was on the news..

mumof2
04-12-2008, 07:36 PM
The tv crew where outside Victor mears flat today. My DF said he has been getting about 300 letters a day since it was on the news..

i'm not surprised - i can't figure out whether they set out to rip people off or if they truly thought what they'd done with the place was acceptable.

i drafted a letter earlier but i think i'll speak to consumer direct and the CC company tomorrow to see what we should do from here.

Beccaberry
04-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Talk about covering your rearend....wow...that's a lot of doublespeak in a single place!

mumof2
04-12-2008, 08:48 PM
:lol:

i think this may have come from their website but i got it from a mothers forum that i don't belong to but have been reading - i tried the website again but it's not available again - i think it's been working on and off over the past couple of days, but it's gone every time i try it.

keith
04-12-2008, 10:27 PM
:lol:

i think this may have come from their website but i got it from a mothers forum that i don't belong to but have been reading - i tried the website again but it's not available again - i think it's been working on and off over the past couple of days, but it's gone every time i try it.

It has come from their website, I managed to get to it.

I think you're in an excellent position with the credit card company now! just get the claim form, explain that the service offered has not been provided since the company has closed the park and you'll get your money back :yes:

mumof2
05-12-2008, 11:24 AM
It has come from their website, I managed to get to it.

I think you're in an excellent position with the credit card company now! just get the claim form, explain that the service offered has not been provided since the company has closed the park and you'll get your money back :yes:

yes,thanks Keith. We were rather hoping it would close as we thought we'd be in a better position! :yes:

Claire
02-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Latest news (http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/4014299.Lapland_refusing_refunds/) and I have to say, no-one seems surprised!

mumof2
02-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Thank you Claire :hug2:

We have no refund as yet from CC company - will be contacting them over the next few days to find out what's going on.

mumof2
04-02-2009, 12:46 PM
we got a credit against our CC balance for the full amount, no letter of explanation or confirmation from them though which I think is just plain bad manners!

oh and I got a letter regarding the liquidation of the company, details of a creditors meeting and to establish who may still be a creditor, which we are not now as we got the refund.......would the cc company be pursuing them for the money then?

how about you Jeanette, how have you got on with yours?

Beccaberry
04-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Excellent that you received the credit, mum...poor form that they didn't bother with an explanation. :sigh: Glad that it wasn't worse though...

mumof2
04-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Excellent that you received the credit, mum...poor form that they didn't bother with an explanation. :sigh: Glad that it wasn't worse though...

me too....i'd kind of written it off in my head so the outcome was good! :yes:

Beccaberry
04-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Well good on your for sticking with it!

Mari
04-02-2009, 06:58 PM
great to hear you got your money back!!

mumof2
04-02-2009, 07:18 PM
thanks! :hug2:

Claire
04-02-2009, 07:59 PM