PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to talk about Christmas Dinner, yet?

Tink
15-12-2008, 10:17 PM
What are you having?

Have you started to cook anything for it yet? (Sprouts don't count. :dozey: ).

Will you change anything do you think, before the dinner is actually prepared? (I'm notorious for doing this)!

Do you plan on leftovers, or just hope you have some, or don't want them at all?

Is your meal traditional, or no?

Don't limit your discussion to just the main meal of the day. How about Breakfast? What will you have? Lunch? :D

Yep. I'm ALWAYS ready to hear about what other folks are having for meals. :D :D

mumof2
15-12-2008, 10:26 PM
What are you having?
traditional turkey dinner but veggie option for me

Have you started to cook anything for it yet?
nope, not cooking this year! out for Christmas Eve dinner with inlaws on Christmas Eve AND a walk and dinner out on Boxing Day with my sis and her family.

Will you change anything do you think, before the dinner is actually prepared?
mmm, my outfit maybe!

Do you plan on leftovers, or just hope you have some, or don't want them at all?
no leftovers as such, but i'll be cooking some meats to have for Christmas Day tea when the family are round.

yes, but no 'traditional' nut roast for me - yuk!

Don't limit your discussion to just the main meal of the day. How about Breakfast? What will you have? Lunch? :D
we're having a mid morning breakfast here, bacon scrambled eggs toast bucks fizz or orange juice and coffee followed by pastries i have ordered from our local bakery. DH is working at 2.30pm so we decided that's best.

Yep. I'm ALWAYS ready to hear about what other folks are having for meals. :D :D[/quote]
so what are you having?

lisaw
15-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Just the four of us this year - haven't decided on which meat yet, I will let DH decide when we go shopping as he gets on paid for by work as his christmas present :lol: I only eat chicken so we will have a nice free range organic one plus something veggie.

With it we (they) will have the usual pigs in blankets, sausage meat, roast potatoes, cauliflower, parsnips, broccoli, carrots and any other veg I fancy when i am shopping.

We always cook loads of veg and then it all, including the roast potatoes, gets made into bubble and squeak for boxing day which IMHO is the best part of christmas :D

Christmas day breakfast we will have pastries. We tend to eat our christmas 'lunch' around 2pm and although I buy lots of goodies for supper we are never hungry enough to eat it :lol:

Tink
15-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Tell me again what "pigs in blankets" are in the UK?

Also, bubble and squeak (that I've made from an old cookbook) is cabbage, sausage (breakfast style) and a white sauce. Is that what you mean when you say it? :unsure:

Claire
15-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Christmas morning will start with plenty of tea and fresh croissants, pain au chocolat and pastries! Around our table for lunch this year will be me, DH, the children and my brother Alex. We're having the traditional turkey with all the trimmings courtesy of M&S. The only change to the usual is instead of a Christmas pudding this year we are having butterscotch and pecan nut pudding. Maisie and Owen will dress the table for me with crackers and such. This year I have gone for a gold and ivory theme to match the tree. I have an ivory tablecloth, gold table runner with gold chargers and napkin rings. Our Christmas crackers match perfectly!

We very rarely have tea as such on Christmas Day as we are still full from lunch. Boxing day we have cold meat, usually ham, beef, pork and turkey with a shedload of mashed potato, pickles and salad. I will probably not change anything on the menu as it's all been ordered ready for collection on Christmas Eve.

Nothing has been cooked yet. I'll do the turkey Christmas eve night. As for leftovers - we've never had any!

Does anyone ever do more than one type of stuffing? :unsure:

Johnie
15-12-2008, 10:56 PM
We're going to my parents house for Christmas dinner. We usually have ham, my dad's dressing, pumpkin pie and several side dishes. No, we haven't started making anything yet.

mumof2
15-12-2008, 10:58 PM
pigs in blankets - sausages wrapped in bacon

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:CfVRaeBhnZAkbM:http://www.i-love-food.co.uk/images/productimages/traditional/Pigs%2520in%2520Bl.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.i-love-food.co.uk/images/productimages/traditional/Pigs%2520in%2520Bl.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.i-love-food.co.uk/product/Pigs_in_Blankets/d1e735be-322e-4b0e-80e8-65beb53f0422.aspx&usg=__200Hqd9OxnhVtPSwEghpgYTI7X4=&h=375&w=250&sz=13&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=CfVRaeBhnZAkbM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=81&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpigs%2Bin%2Bblankets%26um%3D1%26hl%3D en%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2006-22,GGLG:en%26sa%3DN)

bubble and squeak - usually leftover potatoes fried in a pan with leftover cabbage or any leftover green veg, can be served with a fried or poached egg on top!
http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:SAPrfxxjm8Il3M:http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3033/images/3033_MEDIUM.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3033/images/3033_MEDIUM.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3033/bubble-and-squeak-cakes&usg=__tjmzHHmBn7UtkcWU8ofipPuAoPA=&h=400&w=440&sz=39&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=SAPrfxxjm8Il3M:&tbnh=115&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbubble%2Band%2Bsqueak%26um%3D1%26hl%3 Den%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2006-22,GGLG:en%26sa%3DN)

lisaw
15-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Tell me again what "pigs in blankets" are in the UK?

Also, bubble and squeak (that I've made from an old cookbook) is cabbage, sausage (breakfast style) and a white sauce. Is that what you mean when you say it? :unsure:

Pigs in blankets are little sausages wrapped in streaky bacon.

I know people make bubble and squeak differently and the usual way is mashed potato and cabbage shallow fried in a pan.

We use a base of mashed potato and then add all the vegetables left from the day before as well as the roast potatoes but into pieces I like it to be quite chunky, not all mashed to a pulp - we then dry fry it in a non stick pan - I like mine quite black, served with cold meats and pickles ( sweet pickle and picalilli - not gherkins:D)

lisaw
15-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Ooh I forgot stuffing :D Good old Paxo sage and onion here although i love the American stove top stuffing and I have found a recipe that I am going to use this year :D

Ursula
15-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Going to be 4 of us for Christmas dinner this year. Me, DH, DD and my Father. We have scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and bucks fizz to wash it down and coffee for breakfast. Then around about 2 to 3pm we sit down to eat our dinner, we will be having a Marks and Spencer Ballatine (sp) which is a turkey stuffed with a goose stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken and sausagemeat stuffing. Oh and the pigs in blankets.... mustn't forget those. I do roast potatoes in goose fat and brussels with carrots and chestnuts, turkey and sage gravy with cranberry jelly sauce, and bread and onion (together cos we like it that way) sauce. We don't drink wine any of us so we will have Schloer instead. Don't do a tea because we usually eat choccies and nibbles etc in the evening.
Boxing day I am having a buffet and friends round... I have cheated and got a meat platter and a game platter from good old Marks and Spencers yet again... lol... and got lots of frozen nibbles to cook from Iceland because I got some free vouchers from there lol. With a salad and pickles assortment, and desserts.. some frozen thawed out and some fresh like sherry trifle and once again Marks and Spencer panatone, ameretto trifle.

uscwest
16-12-2008, 02:19 AM
No idea what Christmas day breakfast will be yet. But I'm not cooking dinner that day. I'm getting a spiral ham, some cheeses, baguettes, olives, pickles etc. and letting everyone serve themselves. Then either Friday or Saturday I will do a standing Rib Roast with Yorkshire Pudding.

Tink
16-12-2008, 04:19 AM
Gosh. I just love hearing about what folks are having for the holidays! :D :D I don't know why (other than I love to talk about food in general) but I really like being able to picture what folks will serve. Yeah. I'm totally weird dude. :D

Shellyamc
16-12-2008, 05:12 AM
Well we have a big Christmas Eve bash, but we no longer do the feast of the 7 fishes. Long gone are the ones who enjoyed all that fish. So now that I have taken over the Eve dinner we will have spaghetti and tuna (sounds really gross, but we love it!), a roast with potatoes (because Dad won't eat anything else), eggplant parmesan (because sister doesn't like tuna), and then basic veggie side dishes and salad.

Christmas day will be at my Parent's for the last time before we take that over next year. With 2 little ones, we don't have to leave the house at Christmas anymore - hooray! So we will have lasagna (made by me for the first time ever), ham, scalloped corn, biscuits, salad, veggie side dishes etc.

Desserts will be pies, cookies, jello, and I will make tortoni which keeps the Dad happy :)

Basically I have taken over my Nana's cooking and then next year my Parent's will take Christmas eve (which Nana and Poppie always did), and Dh and I will do Christmas day. I think that was way more than you wanted to know :unsure:

Dawn
16-12-2008, 08:23 AM
[quote="mumof2, post: 84638"]What are you having?
Organic beef roasting joint

Have you started to cook anything for it yet?
No but bought some disposable roasting trays to save on washing up!

Will you change anything do you think, before the dinner is actually prepared?
Probably not

Leftovers???? :laugh:.

yes, apart from beef instead of turkey!

Will just have our normal toast or cereal breakfast with maybe a few chocklits. :D I'll go to work after that until 2pm so Adrian and Steven will sort their own lunch out and we'll have our main Christmas dinner around 5pm.

ieuanr
16-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Off to the Mother In Law's for Christmas dinner this year. Diane and I shall be cooking a turkey crown and a joint of beef. Yorkshire puddings, sprouts, cabbage, runner beans, brocolli, roast and mashed potatoes. Gravy with miscellanous cracker detritus floating - bits of paper hat, small screwdrivers, plastic rings and tiny tape measures. Traditional Christmas pudding to follow. Swift exit before washing up starts or pretend to have fallen asleep always a tricky decision. :taunt:

Tink
16-12-2008, 12:20 PM
LOL! Ieuan!!! LOLOLOL! "Runner beans?"

Shellyamc, how did I miss the Italian connection? I wondered when you commented on the strufoli... :D

Organic beef here is so wicked expensive Dawn. :eek: $32 or so per pound. Never could afford that! :eek:

Britchick
16-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Organic beef here is so wicked expensive Dawn. :eek: $32 or so per pound. Never could afford that! :eek:

omg!

uscwest
16-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Off to the Mother In Law's for Christmas dinner this year. Diane and I shall be cooking a turkey crown and a joint of beef. Yorkshire puddings, sprouts, cabbage, runner beans, brocolli, roast and mashed potatoes. Gravy with miscellanous cracker detritus floating - bits of paper hat, small screwdrivers, plastic rings and tiny tape measures. Traditional Christmas pudding to follow. Swift exit before washing up starts or pretend to have fallen asleep always a tricky decision. :taunt:What, pray tell, is a turkey crown?

Tink
16-12-2008, 01:47 PM
OHHH! I know! :D

A whole turkey with the legs removed, for the most part. A saddle of turkey, if that helps?

ieuanr
16-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Yes - it's the top half of a turkey - more or less.

Taja
16-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Not sure what we'll have for Christmas dinner. I need to talk to Lib, my cousin's wife, before the weekend so we can coordinate our efforts. I'll probably bake bread or dinner rolls and holiday cut-out cookies--it's one of my excuses to make them! :lol: Possibly make some basic veggies--they all like things with onions or garlic mixed in or marshmallows melted on top. I like plain, old, everyday, steamed veggies! :sigh:

I'm planning to stay home Christmas eve rather than drive to their house and stay overnight, so breakfast will be whatever and whenever! It's a long, dark drive across the desert to/from their house at night, so I minimize my exposure to it. We usually have Christmas dinner around 4:00 p.m., so I'll be driving home in the dark that day.

Dawn
16-12-2008, 02:21 PM
I like plain, old, everyday, steamed veggies! :sigh:.
Oooh us too. Can't go spoiling veggies with sauces and stuff. :nono:

Shellyamc
16-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Shellyamc, how did I miss the Italian connection? I wondered when you commented on the strufoli... :D

Oh yes, we are a very Italian family :yes:

Ursula
16-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Driving across deserts in the dark.... no no no no no... nada!

Dorothy
16-12-2008, 04:17 PM
What are you having?

Christmas eve is Lox and Bagels with all the extras :D Of course since Bob hates any kind of fish there also will be nice baked ham with the all the extras. Yes, my friends this is what you get for Christmas dinner when a nice Jewish girl marries a nice boy who isn't :wink:

Have you started to cook anything for it yet? (Sprouts don't count. ).

I have called the Deli and placed my order, does that count :unsure: :lol:

Will you change anything do you think, before the dinner is actually prepared? (I'm notorious for doing this)!

Nope, menu is set in stone with my family :yes:

There will be plenty of left overs because I plan it that way so I won't have to cook for a few days!!

Don't limit your discussion to just the main meal of the day. How about Breakfast? What will you have? Lunch?

Left overs for breakfast and lunch and then for dinner Christmas day we go to my SILs parents house so again I don't have to cook :wiggle:

josh.p.
16-12-2008, 05:36 PM
4 (technically 5 if you include little baby Niamh, since my sisters bump will be at the table!)

We have the regular Turkey, pigs in blankets, and veggies (With mash potato, stuffing ect) for Mum, Dad and Jade.

I have a Nutroast, a few slices of quorn 'turkey', all of the veggies, and stuffing just on the plate. I also have vegetable gravy.

Christmas morning we usually have poached egg on toast, with orange juice and then a few chocolates (Greedy :yes:... we know, but IT'S CHRIISSTTMMASSS!:wiggle:) afterwards. Usually we'll eat at 3-4pm for Christmas dinner, and then have cheese and crackers for tea at about 10pm. We have friends round on Christmas night (Mum and Dad's friends, who we went to Florida with).

This year we are having a family meal (on the 19th) with all of our 'extended family'- Aunts, Uncles, Cousins because we couldn't settle on a house to visit, and afterwards they are all coming to our house for a 'party'. Mum and Dad will be taking it easy as they have his christmas night out from work on the 20th.

Josh

Tink2
16-12-2008, 06:00 PM
There will be me DH, DS, DD and my Mum and Dad

What are you having?

We don't have starters but Mum, DH & I always have champagne before dinner. The dinner will be stuffed saddle of Turkey (picking it up from the butchers already stuffed) roast beef, boiled new potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower & carrots for us and Petit Pois for my Dad. There will be gravy (UK style not US style :wink: ) & cranberry sauce. DS has autism so he'll have turkey meat, beef and plain pasta with parmasan

Desert (which will be much later) will be Christmas pud with cream for DH, Mum and Dad, a slice of chocolate fudge cake for DS and meringue and fruit for DD & I

No - I'll do all the cooking on Christmas morning

No

My parents come over again the next day and we have another joint of roast beef with leftover turkey and similar vegetables to the day before

Don't limit your discussion to just the main meal of the day. How about Breakfast? What will you have? Lunch?

Breakfast will the the usual cereal and in the evening there might be turkey sandwiches if everyone is not too full from sweets.

Disneybumble
16-12-2008, 06:33 PM
What are you having?

To start with smoked salmon and prawns.and then Stuffed M&S Turkey, Roast Beef and a Ham. There will be 10 of us round my table for Christmas Dinner. We also have cauliflower cheese, sprouts brocoli,carrots,parsnips,roasted veg. Pigs in blankets,little sausages and stuffing. For pudding Trifle, Fruit salad and an apple pie. Oh just remembered yorshire puddings(with main course)

But sprouts do count. Texture is everything. But no l haven't started anything yet

I doubt it but l have been known to as more people have come than l remembered inviting.(blame Vodka)

As the great Kylie sang "l should be so lucky2. I have an aversion to turkey leftovers. Every boxing day morning,we would wake up and one of my grannys would be boiling the turkey bones for broth and stock. YUCK:blech:

Love breakfast. First bottle of bubbles is opened at 8a.m We then have bagels and bacon sarnies and pan au chocolats. Chocolate and more bubbles. This is usually at about 10ish. We eat our "lunch" at 3ish and never have tea. The wine is very important and l am off to buy the christmas wine tomorrow.

Dorothy
16-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Stuffed M&S Turkey

I need to take more time when I read something, I saw this as M&M and then wondered why anyone would stuff the turkey with choklit :lol:

josh.p.
16-12-2008, 07:15 PM
I need to take more time when I read something, I saw this as M&M and then wondered why anyone would stuff the turkey with choklit :lol:
Obviously you've never had turque de chocolat a la Josh :lol::lol::lol:

uscwest
16-12-2008, 07:33 PM
What are you having?

Christmas eve is Lox and Bagels with all the extras :D Of course since Bob hates any kind of fish there also will be nice baked ham with the all the extras. Yes, my friends this is what you get for Christmas dinner when a nice Jewish girl marries a nice boy who isn't :wink:

What no cream cheese? I can't remember the last time I had Lox and Bagels. What time is dinner. :wiggle:

uscwest
16-12-2008, 07:34 PM
There will be gravy (UK style not US style :wink: ) What is the difference?

Tink2
16-12-2008, 08:13 PM
What is the difference?

This is UK Gravy

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a16/Irish-Tink/gravy_mixes.jpg

and this is US gravy

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a16/Irish-Tink/biscuits_and_gravy.jpg

Shellyamc
16-12-2008, 08:28 PM
This is UK Gravy

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a16/Irish-Tink/gravy_mixes.jpg

and this is US gravy

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a16/Irish-Tink/biscuits_and_gravy.jpg

Well yes and no really. Yes, we do use a white country style gravy for some things, but we also use brown gravy for most main course items. I know I make a brown chicken, turkey, and beef gravy :yes:

Ursula
16-12-2008, 08:41 PM
What is lox?... it sounds like a plant?

Tinkerbell
16-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Lox is salmon I think, :unsure:
It's cured though, not smoked (I googled it)

Johnie
16-12-2008, 08:57 PM
No, the US has white gravy and brown gravy too. White gravy is more for biscuits and things like country fried steak. The brown gravy is for turkey and other meats. sometimes mashed potatoes.

Tink
16-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Yep. The roux based cream gravy is not used for everything. I grew up more with brown, meat broth based gravy than with the cream gravy.

Tink
16-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Lox can sometimes be smoked. :D It's like the gravlax of Norway. :yes:

Thinly sliced Nova salmon is about the only one I'll eat.

Mags
16-12-2008, 10:24 PM
What are you having?

Yep. I'm ALWAYS ready to hear about what other folks are having for meals. :D :D

The morning starts off with pandoro and either home made lemon curd or raspberry jam. I love this sweet vanilla Italian brioche type bread. We have some Buck's Fizz with it. I usually use cava and the nice fresh orange juice with 'bits' to make that.
After breakfast and the present opening comes the chocolates - any sort will do. Its usually celebrations or miniature heroes along with some nice truffles.
Dinner is about 1pm. I make leek and stilton soup for starters and then its time for turkey!
So here is what goes on the plate - turkey, honey glazed ham, minature sausages, bacon, turkey, stuffing, gravy, sprouts (oh yes! - they do count and I love them! :lol:), carrots, roast veg, and roast potatoes. We are all too stuffed for dessert so that comes later. It is usually plum pudding or tiramasu/oreo cheesecake - they have to be home made.
During the afternoon, the chocolate usually appears again. I strip down the turkey and make coronation turkey and freeze some and keep some for sandwiches. I also boil the carcass for stock for soup the next day.
In the evening about 8pm we have lots of nibbles. I buy the usual party food - the Chinese and Indian stuff as well as things like cranberry and brie parcels, sausages and mini quiches. By about 9pm everyone is groaning. I love Xmas as it is the only time all my kids are home together.
Next day we all go for a long walk and then we start on the food again!!

Margaret

Tinker
17-12-2008, 01:34 AM
Christmas morning we will have warm cinnamon raisin buns with Yuleride Blend coffee from the Coffee Grinder .
Ealy afternoon , I will put out bologna, and different cheese with olives .
Around three we will have hot ham with a pineapple glaze gravy, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts and shoepeg corn .
Afterwards, red velvet cake and cookies, egg nog or coffee with Bailey's .
I've baked quite a few cookies . But no real prep for dinner, yet .

PsychoAlice
17-12-2008, 01:41 AM
There is always a dozen or so of us (minus 2 this year :cry2: ) and we always have a bone in rib roast...raised rolls...redneck green beans (hey thats what we call them...) mashed potatoes and gravy...and a plethera of pies...

ETA breakfast...

Breakfast is raised waffles, a dozen other side (anyone can have anything on top of their waffle...even ice cream if so desired) bacon, sausage, eggs, coffee cake, REAL apple cider, coffee and a bloody mary for me!

Ursula
17-12-2008, 06:08 AM
Shoepeg corn?

Tinker
17-12-2008, 01:07 PM
White & Yellow corn mixed together . Why they call it Shopeg , no idea :unsure:

Tink
17-12-2008, 01:12 PM
It's a "type" in terms of seed growth. It's shaped a bit different (a little more elongated) than the ususal more square deeper yellow standard corn. It's more tender and more sweet than the standard yellow.

Tinker
17-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Thank You, Sister Tink .
Helly ~ I Love your Santa Baby siggie . She's SweeT !!! Just like you .

Tink
17-12-2008, 01:22 PM
No prob. I love shoepeg corn myself. :D

Ursula
17-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Wow thanks for the explanations X
Tinker:hug2:

Johnie
17-12-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what a redneck green bean is...

Tink
17-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Me too, but I'm skeered to ask. :unsure:

Britchick
17-12-2008, 06:53 PM
What are you having?

turkey, ham, chestnut and sausagemeat stuffing, sage and onion stuffing, sausages wrapped in bacon, bread sauce, brussel sprouts, carrots and red cabbage. and port and cranberry sauce.

christmas pudding and brandy sauce and clotted cream.
then cheese - colston bassett stilton and lincolnshire poacher and port.

nope.

we always cook extra for Boxing day, will have cold meats and bubble and squeak, sil is coming so need extra this year.

i think so

we'll eat at around 2pm so we have smoked salmon on light brown bread with a squeeze of lemon and some bucks fizz

Johnie
17-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Me too, but I'm skeered to ask. :unsure:

I'm wondering if it is green beans with fatback for seasoning? That's pretty southern and could possibly be construed as rednecky :unsure:

Mari
17-12-2008, 09:50 PM
What are you having?
Turkey, gravy, ham, catfish, apple salad

hahahaha.. nope... but Im only cooking the catfish!

Well.... I might not cook anything at all,s ince its too much work... hahahaha

hopefully we will have some leftovers... but I doubt it

Totally!!... well, traditional for Mexico anyway

:)

PsychoAlice
18-12-2008, 12:49 AM
I'm wondering if it is green beans with fatback for seasoning? That's pretty southern and could possibly be construed as rednecky :unsure:
:yes: with bacon too

Johnie
18-12-2008, 02:23 AM
aha....well I always put a slice of bacon in with my green beans. I don't typically have fatback.

PsychoAlice
18-12-2008, 02:47 AM
A slice? as in 1? ONLY?

Johnie
18-12-2008, 03:10 AM
All you need is one. It gives plenty of flavor. Of course, I am talking about one normal sized can of beans too.

Tink
18-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Maybe I do the Yankee version? :unsure: Briefly steam the beans, then transfer to a skillet where garlic and mushrooms have been sauteed. Saute the beans until desired tenderness...same sorta' basic idea, eh? :unsure:

Johnie
18-12-2008, 03:14 AM
Those are fancy green beans Tink! Are they the French style beans too?

We like ours short and fat :yes:

PsychoAlice
18-12-2008, 03:18 AM
with frozen green beans I saute them with sea salt, garlic and buttah...

Tink
18-12-2008, 03:27 AM
No. I don't much care for the sliced (lengthwise) green beans. I do like true haricot verts, but will enjoy the regular green bean. I prefer them with just the stem end snipped. I like them long and skinny. :yes:

So! I guess it's time I answer my own question? :unsure:

What was it again? OH! :lol:

Breakfast on Christmas day: Definitely, Herself's homemade caramel pecan sticky buns, coffee, poinsettas, sausages... Maybe: Toad in the hole, or baked French toast (Disney recipe) and of course cookies. :D

Lunch will be ham, turkey (cold slices) cheese, homemade rolls, olives, relishes, those sorts of things...

Main meal (who knows when we'll actually eat it) will be lasagne, and salad with more homemade rolls, sausage rolls, a gazillion cookies, that chocolate torte of Herself's and the trifle...

There may be additions along the way. I always end up adding things. :spring: With a houseful to feed, I always have way too much food, plus I love to have choices, so I don't believe there are ever too many dishes from which to choose! :D

Is it traditional? Sort of. In my Mother's house Christmas day dinner was always lasagne, with salad. There was always sausage roll and pies and Mama would make a turkey just so folks could have a sandwich later.

Breakfast at Christmas varies depending upon who is with us, and what we feel like having!

Christmas Eve this year will be a departure from our usual 7 fishes. With so many, and many of them not liking seafood we're falling back on the standards of ham, and the turkey mentioned above. There will be clam whiffle, and "clam spaghetti" (not actual spaghetti, but it got pegged that in our family and that's what we still call it) with homemade rolls, sausage roll...you get the idea. A touch of seafood anyway for us die hards, but enough other choices for the non-seafood lovers to have something nice too. I may add some shrimp to the choices...depends upon whether I can find any good shrimp or not.

Of course, our Seth pointed out over the weekend when he asked for "cwams" for his birthday dinner that he also liked "wobster." Uh huh. Who's he been hanging with? :lol:

I may add a lobster bisque as Herself is a huge lover of "wobster" too. :D :D

So, you see? You just never know what you are going to get at our house.

I must say though, that each menu here has my mouth salivating!!! I'd so love to visit each home and have some of the wonderful food you are preparing. :yes: :D

Oh, some preparations have begun. Cookies (some) have been made as you know, and sausage has been prepped, that sort of thing.

Will actually start cooking in earnest this weekend...

I love this part of Christmas the best. I love the preparation of the food and mostly, the sharing of the food with beloved family and dear friends.

So then...in the dear friend camp, ya'll wanna' join us? :D :D :D I promise there will be enough! :D :D :D

Tink
18-12-2008, 03:27 AM
FROZEN green beans? Can't go with you there, Sarah. I despise frozen green beans (and frozen carrots). They actually make me shudder! :spring: :sorry:

Tink
18-12-2008, 03:28 AM
Oh. I forgot. There will be pecan pie and pumpkin pie on Christmas too. :D

Johnie
18-12-2008, 03:36 AM
What time is dinner? Or is it an all day affair? I just need to be in Ocean City by 3pm on Saturday......

PsychoAlice
18-12-2008, 03:53 AM
FROZEN green beans? Can't go with you there, Sarah. I despise frozen green beans (and frozen carrots). They actually make me shudder! :spring: :sorry:

Better than canned honestly..ever eat the green beans at WDW..they are frozen...I asked!

Johnie
18-12-2008, 03:57 AM
and they are gross!

Tink
18-12-2008, 04:06 AM
Ick. WDW green beans! :eek:

We'll start early, Johnie so maybe you'd better come in on Christmas Eve. :D We'll be noshing and downright stuffing ourselves all day. :D

You might make it to Ocean City by Saturday...maybe. :unsure: :D

Johnie
18-12-2008, 04:06 AM
okey dokey...sounds like a plan!

Deb
18-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Oh, I need to go get some breakfast - my mouth is watering after catching up with this thread :yes: It's fascinating reading through the different things people will eat, and the traditions they have. Now I have finished work until the new year I can start to plan and get excited!

Tink....think I will cancel all plans and come to your place...it all sounds fab but those caramel pecan sticky buns are calling to me...it's my intention to start baking a little as it's not something I do much of right now...the thought of the aroma of those baking in the oven may have just given me the little push I need! :)

In terms of prep there is not much to do yet - but we do love our wine and fizz and it has all been ordered and delivered!! Wouldn't like to have a Christmas Wine Crisis on our hands :nono:

On Christmas Eve we will open an expensive champagne we were given and have had sitting around waiting to drink - a Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame 1996 (I sound like I know what I'm talking about don't I :tongue: ) with some nice olives. Then we will have steak and chips (fries) - an excellent ribeye from the farm a mile from here, and some homemade garlicky chunky fries (that will be double baked instead of fried in the interests of at least pretending to save on some calorie intake :D ) with the oniony, mushroomy, worcestershire saucey, creamy sauce that I make on the side.

Although there will be just the two of us here for Christmas we have to go out to visit respective families for a couple of hours on Christmas morning and so won't have the glass of champage to start the day that we normally would as we'll both be driving. So we'll probably skip breakfast at home and just have some good coffee before we leave. I will leave my Mum's house with the freshly cooked gammon and the Christmas Cake she gives me every year.

We don't like to eat our big meal until about 7pm as we both hate that feeling of being too full up and drowsy for the rest of the day. So when we get back we will open a bottle of pink champagne and have a light lunch of smoked salmon and king prawns with lemon juice and brown bread, and maybe a couple of slices of Mum's gammon. I always make sure I have lots of nice cheeses, olives, salads, pates and san daniele ham in so if we need to snack there are lovely things to grab.

In the evening we will have the traditional meal of turkey, sage and onion stuffing, sausagemeat and onion stuffing (which I love and make far too much of so I can eat it by itself as a leftover), roast and mashed potatoes, carrots, peas, sprouts for him but I will not go near those evil things :disgust:, yorkshire pudding, turkey gravy and cranberry sauce. We both love Christmas pudding and brandy sauce but will probably be too full up to have it and will have it on Boxing Day!!

I love the leftovers! From being a child we always had cold turkey and chips for boxing day lunch! So on Boxing Day we just graze on the leftovers, the gammon and all of the nice snackie things we have in the fridge! And drink more fizz of course...probably pink :D

Dawn
18-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Cancel everything, we're off to Tink's.

Claire
18-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Cancel everything, we're off to Tink's.
Pick me up on the way?

Deb
18-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Pick me up on the way?

Me too. Good thing is I don't think we even need to take anything, it would just get in the way :thumbsup:

Tink
18-12-2008, 11:07 AM
We'll have room for you! :D :yes:

Deb, that is the very champagne (the Veuve Cliquot) that I would like to get for Herself for NYE. (Well, I'd have a sip too). :D We really enjoy Veuve Cliquot and La Grand Dame is a beautiful bottle of bubbly. :D :D Perhaps I'll track it down yet. :yes:

There is something peaceful, yet pleasing to read about what everyone is having. It's as if you invite us into your celebrations when you share the holiday menus. :spring:

Thank you all!!! :grouphug:

lisaw
18-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Pick me up on the way?

I'll meet you at Gatwick :thumbsup:

I would be happy with just some of those caramel pecan sticky buns and coffee :anxious:

Tink
18-12-2008, 03:15 PM
I've bought a selection of coffee for Christmas. Not flavored, coffee beans. :yes:

I love Ethiopian coffee so there is some of that, then Sumatra, then Kona, and I even splurged on some Blue Mountain. :yes:

There is a vanilla coffee in the freezer for anyone who wants a flavored coffee. We use beans so you can have a good fresh cup. :yes:

I'll tell Herself to expect a couple of extra folks and to make a double batch (better make that triple) of the caramel pecan sticky buns. :D :D

Shellyamc
18-12-2008, 03:17 PM
It is times like this when I wish we all lived in the same neighborhood :yes: Then we could carol around in the morning and stop into each others houses and say hello and grab a bite here and a bite there.

that would be nice :hug2:

uscwest
18-12-2008, 03:45 PM
I've bought a selection of coffee for Christmas. Not flavored, coffee beans. :yes:

I love Ethiopian coffee so there is some of that, then Sumatra, then Kona, and I even splurged on some Blue Mountain. :yes:

There is a vanilla coffee in the freezer for anyone who wants a flavored coffee. We use beans so you can have a good fresh cup. :yes:

I'll tell Herself to expect a couple of extra folks and to make a double batch (better make that triple) of the caramel pecan sticky buns. :D :DAlas it appears as though our specialty coffee stores have gone the way of the dinosaur. All we have left it seems is Caribou and Starbucks. They don't carry things like Jamaican Blue Mountain, High Mountain Andes, Kenyan Roast and Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. :sorry:

BevW
19-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Being from Tx, even tho we live in CO...we're doing the Tamales, chili, enchiladas, and rice and beans for dinner. It's tradition for us. I also add a little Japanese in when I make fried wontons! Ok, so I make apple pie too. I don't EVER have leftovers cos my kids are always here and they bring their kids..one day they'll bring THEIR kids! EEEEKK

I've started getting stuff together cos the wontons take the longest to make. I'm not a real tamale maker yet...I just do tortillas for now.

Johnie
19-12-2008, 02:05 AM
mmmm tamales are my favorite and I love wontons.......ok we're heading to Bev's house next!!

Tink
19-12-2008, 02:25 AM
Oh, and I have Tanzanian Peaberry coffee too. :D

Mmmmm...sounds yummy Bev! :yes:

BevW
21-12-2008, 11:34 PM
mmmm tamales are my favorite and I love wontons.......ok we're heading to Bev's house next!!

Ok, now I gotta go to Walmart and get more folding chairs. How many do I need? :thumbsup:

PsychoAlice
21-12-2008, 11:50 PM
Being from Tx, even tho we live in CO...we're doing the Tamales, chili, enchiladas, and rice and beans for dinner. It's tradition for us. I also add a little Japanese in when I make fried wontons! Ok, so I make apple pie too. I don't EVER have leftovers cos my kids are always here and they bring their kids..one day they'll bring THEIR kids! EEEEKK

I've started getting stuff together cos the wontons take the longest to make. I'm not a real tamale maker yet...I just do tortillas for now.

Erm....what time should you expect me?

Johnie
22-12-2008, 12:30 AM
I can sit on the floor.....

Claire
22-12-2008, 12:48 PM
I'd love it if everyone posted a picture of their christmas dinner just so we can compare!

BevW
23-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Ok, the wontons are DONE!!!!! My house smells like wontons!

Johnie
23-12-2008, 01:08 AM
mmm yummy.