PDA

View Full Version : Im thinking of getting a COOL new camera

Mari
18-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Some friends suggested the Nikon D40

what do you think?

Tink
19-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Well, I don't know the first thing about cameras, but I've always wanted a Nikon. :D Does that help? It goes back to my diving days and Nikon was the camera of choice to take down.

I do believe that our Slowhand is a Nikon man...

Folks who know a whole lot more about photography and cameras than I shall be along soon to comment, I'm sure. :yes:

Johnie
19-12-2008, 02:18 AM
I had a Nikon last year. I had nothing but problems with it. It died last Feb when a battery broke the inside of the display thingie.

I just bought this and took it down to Disney last week. LOVE this camera!!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Blue 9 MP Digital Camera w/ 10x Optical Zoom

foreverducky
19-12-2008, 03:32 AM
I have heard good things about that camera. :D But that's all I know. Other than Nikons are good cameras. I guess I'm not much help.

catrancher
19-12-2008, 02:06 PM
I've had a Nikon D70 for several years now and I love it. Not too familiar with the D40 but did find a review of it on my favorite digital photo review site:

Nikon D40 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/)

Saw a couple of things in the review that would bother me (no internal lens motor, lack of status panel on top) but they may not be a big deal to you.

Hope this helps!

Tom (who's certainly no expert. Just ask my wife!)

Watchinherskip
19-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I had a Nikon last year. I had nothing but problems with it. It died last Feb when a battery broke the inside of the display thingie.

I just bought this and took it down to Disney last week. LOVE this camera!!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Blue 9 MP Digital Camera w/ 10x Optical Zoom

Cool, I got a Lumix from a class I took in Alaska, took lots of shots up there and it worked like a champ. Very sharp images and a pretty good optical lens. They come with very good lenses for the sharp images.
BTW..the camera was taken over by my DD Alex who took about a jillion pictures for her Myspace page and she got lots of good comments about it. NOW she wants a DSLR (can you say Ca CHing!) for Christmas. She is getting one as she plans to study photography in college.

Good choice on your camera Johnie.

DD's options would be the Nikon D60 (it has image stabilization) and the Canon EOS Rebels xsi or xi.

Ritz has a D60 package with two lenses and bag for under $700 if that helps.

Britchick
19-12-2008, 08:33 PM
what's your budget Mari?

i have heard rave reviews about the G10, even from professional photographers

With a 14.7 Megapixel sensor, a 5x wide-angle lens and the ultra-rapid, advanced imaging power of Canon’s DIGIC 4, the PowerShot G10 pushes every boundary. RAW recording allows total post-shoot image control.

Features

14.7 Megapixels
Genuine Canon 5x wide-angle lens with optical IS
RAW and DPP support
DIGIC 4
Anti-blur technology
3.0” PureColor LCD II and optical viewfinder
Exposure Compensation and ISO dials
i-Contrast
26 shooting modes
Range of accessories

ukwdwnut
20-12-2008, 10:43 AM
or the Canon Eos 450D or a bargain 400D

keith
20-12-2008, 12:29 PM
The D40 is great and I spoke to many folks with it over the last two weeks. One problem is that it doesn't have an internal focus drive motor which means that only newer lenses with their own focus motors work in AF mode with it. In fact this isnt a huge problem but it's something to be aware of.

Britchick mentions the Canon g10. I have one of these and used it extensively on holiday. It's an EXCELLENT midway between a small camera and an SLR with plenty of manual control and excellent images in daylight.

So if you dont want to go all the way to SLR, I can recommend the G10 but it's still a long way from a DSLR ;-)