PDA

View Full Version : OK roll call

Dawn
20-12-2008, 04:26 PM
It's been vewwy vewwy qwiet here today so I presume everyone has been out making the most of the last Saturday before Christmas.

Roll call to let everyone know you survived the ordeal. I myself felt compelled to wander around Worthing until my sanity was almost sucked from me.

:wave:

Johnie
20-12-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm here. I was sleeping in.

Becca is without power this morning. She texted me earlier.

Deb
20-12-2008, 04:38 PM
I've been here all day :wave: But yes, it's been very quiet :unsure: I deliberately decided that I was not going to do any real shopping as it was the last Saturday before Christmas and that was maybe a step too far for my addled brain. I drove the 4 minutes to the farm shop, got a few festive things like streaky bacon, carrots etc...looked at the sprout trees and not for the first time wondered why the good lord made them. Drove back and just pottered about getting some housework done.

However, I intend to go out at about 10am tomorrow to do the first tranche of food shopping - I'll have to psyche myself up.

Dawn
20-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Apparently some branches of Tesco have police monitoring the car parks today. :eek:

Tink2
20-12-2008, 04:50 PM
DD and I went into town very early this morning and by the time we left there were queues about an hour long to get into some of the car parks :thumbsdown: getting ready to watch the Strictly final tonight
:bellydancer:

Deb
20-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Apparently some branches of Tesco have police monitoring the car parks today. :eek:

What??? :eek: Are people fighting over car parking spaces? Or sprout trees?? :unsure:

wdwgrandma
20-12-2008, 04:54 PM
We have Nathanael today and overnight while Mommy and Daddy celebrate Mommy's birthday. I'm here, but have to keep my eyes on him!

Claire
20-12-2008, 05:06 PM
We went to a Magnet Kitchen showroom so that Owen could get his fix of opening cupboards. Will be going back on after Boxing day when it's all 50% off! Then we popped into Poole and it was a ghost town! Bought a Hornby railway tunnel and went home!

ukwdwnut
20-12-2008, 05:32 PM
not done jack today just a few bits and bobs been here on and off all day and yeah its been spookily quiet

mumof2
20-12-2008, 05:33 PM

gedouttahere! :eek:

DH is working an extra shift tomorrow - i wonder if that's why he has to go in! :unsure:

I have been to town today to pick up a couple of pressies, It wasn't too bad an experience as i wasn't there too long and i knew exactly what i was getting. :yes:

i have desprouted the sprout tree in preparation for tomorrows dinner.

ukwdwnut
20-12-2008, 05:34 PM
im off to let tyres down sneakily in the car parks then :lol:

Deb
20-12-2008, 05:38 PM
i have desprouted the sprout tree in preparation for tomorrows dinner.

You touched the evil sprouts and you are still ok?? :disgust:

Dawn
20-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Sprouts are not evil - just misunderstood.

Adrian just went to Sainsbury and was home in 40 minutes with a car full of alcohol - total cost 12 once he'd redeemed all the nectar points. :D

daveann
20-12-2008, 05:45 PM
ive been on and off all day but not feeling very well so havent been outside at all. Dave went to asda this morning and he said it was busy :)

Deb
20-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Sprouts are not evil - just misunderstood.

Adrian just went to Sainsbury and was home in 40 minutes with a car full of alcohol - total cost 12 once he'd redeemed all the nectar points. :D

They're not??? :unsure: Maybe I should go and talk to one and see what it says.

Now that's a good shop!! A car full of alcohol! I have a ton of Nectar points to redeem after saving them all year and am hoping that I can get just about all of my christmas food shop for free! Apart from the M&S specials run, but I will be using my trusty "5-off-every-25 vouchers" for that. Going to be complicated as you can only use one per transaction so maybe two or three trips to the checkout will be in order :eek3:

PsychoAlice
20-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Im here and still in bed...I dont get paid until Monday...poo...so Monday it is to finish up the shopping!

mumof2
20-12-2008, 06:40 PM
i had a voucher for triple nectar points on a shop of over 75 squid. i spent well over said 75 squid and had forgotten the flippin voucher....urgh!

Ursula
20-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Oh nooooooooooo who said carrots?.... I forgot the bliddy carrots... now I will have to go out again :(

foreverducky
20-12-2008, 07:43 PM
I've just been reading and doing some light exercising...off to go read again. :D

SleepinCatz
20-12-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm on my lunch break now and after work I get to go get 2 last gifts and call it a year....

PsychoAlice
20-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Im still in bed!!!

Johnie
20-12-2008, 08:11 PM
well I am still in my nightshirt and am thinking about taking a nap.....

Tinker
20-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm here ! I got news last night that Jim's best friend from high school and his daughter are coming for Christmas dinner . I injured my back ( I'm a glutz ) and this morning it felt slightly better until I cleaned . At least I got the downstairs, steps and upstairs hall . I'm down for the count on the heating pad visiting my home here . :D

josh.p.
20-12-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm here :D

lisaw
20-12-2008, 09:28 PM
No shopping for me today - DS had a footie match this morning and then we have been to my mum and dads for dinner as they are off to Salzburg for Christmas :yes:

foreverducky
20-12-2008, 09:41 PM
I just finished another book and have also been on the heating pad. I'm still working on getting my backed healed. I have the body of a 85 year old woman right now and I'm not pleased.

Claire
20-12-2008, 09:43 PM
No shopping for me today - DS had a footie match this morning and then we have been to my mum and dads for dinner as they are off to Salzburg for Christmas :yes:My nextdoor neighbours are off to Salzburg on Monday!

lisaw
20-12-2008, 09:50 PM
My nextdoor neighbours are off to Salzburg on Monday!

They are going Monday as well! It's an organised coach trip :yes:

kazzaqld
20-12-2008, 09:53 PM
I am here - I braved the shops yesterday and came up empty handed with Gareth's present. The nasty people in the many stores just laughed at me! :sorry:

How was I to know he wanted the year's hottest present on the most popular platform? :unsure:

We have compromised on a small present now and the larger one when they come back in stock in MARCH! :jawdrop:

DH still refuses to give me any ideas for a present for him, so he might just get coal! :taunt:. My DMIL is the same - although she did mention a fuel voucher, now I just have to get to a service (gas) station.

But I sorted out my nephews and my Mum, so present buying is largely done! :yes:

Claire
20-12-2008, 09:56 PM
They are going Monday as well! It's an organised coach trip :yes:
Well if they're on the same coach that is picking up from The Lighthouse Centre in Poole at stupid o'clock in the morning tell them to say hi to Brenda and Michael! They return on the 28th.

josh.p.
20-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I've had my tea at my aunties tonight as Mum and Dad are off at Dad's work do, it's a bit away so they have booked a hotel for the night too. Bravged ASDA today with Mum, as she needed a few last minute presents for people (Books mainly) and then onto the opticians as my glasses broke just before we went out for our meal last night!

lisaw
20-12-2008, 09:59 PM
My mum and dad are being picked up in West London at about 9.30am I think - hope for your neighbours sake it's not the same coach as that is one long winded pick up :eek: I think they come back on the 28th as well - my mum is Brenda also :lol:

Claire
20-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Spooky!!

PsychoAlice
20-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Salzburg? Austria? Hills are alive with the sound of music? Birthplace of Mozart?

Claire
20-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Salzburg? Austria? Hills are alive with the sound of music? Birthplace of Mozart?
The very same!

They're doing some sort of Sound of Music thing I think. They're going to the big cathedral on Christmas Eve for the mass AFAIK.

PsychoAlice
20-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Im totally jealous!

Britchick
20-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Oxford Street this evening was like coming out of the parks after the fireworks! :jawdrop: i didn't buy anything

Claire
20-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Oxford Street this evening was like coming out of the parks after the fireworks! :jawdrop: i didn't buy anything
Nothing from Selfridges??? No Louis? No Chanel? No Mulberry? :shocked:

Britchick
20-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Nothing from Selfridges??? No Louis? No Chanel? No Mulberry? :shocked:

not a sausage! Caitlin spent all her birthday money on a build a bear Moose and a wicked hoodie - i brought back a box of cupcakes though.

PsychoAlice
20-12-2008, 10:49 PM
perks up...Chanel? Mulberry? God I miss a big city...

I already have a Louis V...

Ursula
21-12-2008, 12:41 AM
Oxford Street this time of year! I was going to say *Are ya mad*...... but I have answered my own question.

uscwest
21-12-2008, 02:00 AM
I spent several hours out shopping today. I still haven't gotten the food for Christmas dinner yet however.

PsychoAlice
21-12-2008, 02:45 AM
IM still in bed....

Beccaberry
21-12-2008, 03:39 AM
Woke up this morning to...nothing. Rolled over and mumbled something to Jon about "that's odd...the cable box isn't showing the time..." he rolled over and mumbled back, "...yeah, the alarm clock is dark too..." Fourteen hours later...we've finally gotten our electricity back...seems the ice snapped a cable. I think the high was around 20 degrees today...we're expecting more snow tomorrow.

Certainly does make life more interesting though...not having electricity....

Did manage to pop out to the store and buy a few things for Christmas dinner...we found a LOVELY prime rib....and a very tasty looking ham.....

PsychoAlice
21-12-2008, 04:34 AM
well its 930pm and Ive made it to the couch...yea! But its almost time to go back to bed!

Johnie
21-12-2008, 04:45 AM
Well I DID get up and get dressed. Went out to dinner with mom, my sis and BIL. We then went to look at Christmas lights.

PsychoAlice
21-12-2008, 04:48 AM
yea that sound like too much work...

Johnie
21-12-2008, 04:53 AM
lol I was ok once I got into the shower.

Dorothy
21-12-2008, 05:53 PM
We've got blizzard warnings and a wind chill of -30 degrees outside AND I'm going to have to go out and get my grocery shopping done :eek3:

Britchick
21-12-2008, 05:53 PM
We've got blizzard warnings and a wind chill of -30 degrees outside AND I'm going to have to go out and get my grocery shopping done :eek3:

be very careful hun!

Ursula
21-12-2008, 05:58 PM
It's 30 in Barbados :( sobs......

Dorothy
21-12-2008, 05:58 PM
be very careful hun!

Bob just offered to go with so at least I'll have help and of course door to door drop off and pick up service :D

It looks so pretty outside with the sun shining until you realize that the wind is blowing like you wouldn't believe. The regular temperature without the wind chill factor is sitting at -5 right now. AND we've got more snow predicted for later this afternoon :sigh:

Dawn
21-12-2008, 06:03 PM
I went out in a wind chill like that once. I wouldn't touch my ears for 2 hours afterwards in case they snapped off. :eek:

Ursula
21-12-2008, 06:09 PM
But you have a lovely hat now.

Dawn
21-12-2008, 06:13 PM
This was in the days before my new hat and it was so windy that my hood kept blowing down and my ears froze.

Britchick
21-12-2008, 06:55 PM
i wouldn't do very well in weather that cold:unsure:

BevW
21-12-2008, 11:24 PM
I worked at Disney.....and I could have SWORN someone said there was a recession going on....but the folks shopping yesterday sure didn't know it!

Johnie
21-12-2008, 11:32 PM
i wouldn't do very well in weather that cold:unsure:

Me either.

Beccaberry
22-12-2008, 03:11 AM
Definitely not *that* cold here...but we did see this evening bring more sleet and snow...luckily the electricity has remained on so we spent the entire day tidying the house and getting ready for "company."

Spent the evening wrapping gifts and folding laundry :D

Grocery Shopping? PAH!!! That's why God created Peapod :wink:

Ursula
22-12-2008, 06:43 AM
What is peapod?

josh.p.
22-12-2008, 12:21 PM
http://tinyurl.com/8twskb

:taunt::taunt::taunt::taunt:

Claire
22-12-2008, 12:40 PM
See, that's clever when you see it like that! Sarcasm I like!

josh.p.
22-12-2008, 12:41 PM
See, that's clever when you see it like that! Sarcasm I like!
I've been looking for ageesss for the opportune moment to use it but no questions anyone has asked me warrants it :(

Dawn
22-12-2008, 12:42 PM
:sarcasm:

Beccaberry
22-12-2008, 12:42 PM
LOL!

Hilarious, Josh.

Yes, Peapod is our grocery delivery service...

Ursula
22-12-2008, 12:50 PM
It's taking too long for me to connect.... prolly a good thing for Josh....

kazzaqld
22-12-2008, 07:15 PM
I finally got the last of the shopping done yesterday - if there's a recession on, someone forgot to tell the crowds in the electronics and book shops! I almost couldn't move in one electronics shop and eventually gave up and walked out!

Luckily there was another one just a few shops up, with not such a big crowd and lovely helpful staff! :yes:

Borders did their best to hide DH's present but persistence paid off! :thumbsup:

Deb
22-12-2008, 09:42 PM
OK. I have the alarm set for the morning so I can get to Sainsbury's for about 8am to do the rest of my food shopping - not too much to get but it is necessary. After deep consideration I have decided I am not stable enough to attempt M&S (I tried 2 minutes after opening on Sunday and had to leave immediately despite having my "5 off 25" shopping vouchers - I didn't have enough protective clothing about my person - good luck to Helly tomorrow!!!). Sainsburys should be marginally more gentle at that time of the morning and I should be able to get some M&S type substitutes there. Then a quick trip to the local farm shop (4 minute drive) for a few bits - whilst there I shall say Merry Christmas to the alpacas, the emus and the camel (very traditional North Yorkshire farm as you can tell :thumbsup: ).

I am very happy today as OH brought back his latest work gifts from clients - so far it's been 3 bottles of middle rate wine...today a HUGE box of Hotel Chocolat Christmas Selection :happydance: and a bottle of Laurent Perrier Champers 1999...woo hoo!!! :wavehands: . However, one nice client always sends an M&S hamper...last year it turned up on the last day....it's not here yet :eek3: Now it's a gamble - do I buy my Christmas pud and cake or wait to risk a Christmas Eve last minute panic buy? The credit crunch may have crunched my hamper! The reference may be lost on our non-British contingent, but I feel like Margot on the Good Life when Harrods didn't deliver Christmas :mental:

Britchick
22-12-2008, 09:46 PM
:yes:i got hotel chocolat sitting unwrapped on the table in front of me........... christmas eve is a long time away :yes:

Deb
22-12-2008, 09:48 PM
:yes:i got hotel chocolat sitting unwrapped on the table in front of me........... christmas eve is a long time away :yes:

Tis true Brit...I have taken the plastic wrapper off.....I can smell them....

Britchick
22-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Tis true Brit...I have taken the plastic wrapper off.....I can smell them....

we have a selection of the slabs and the toffee and fudge selection. Jon has the dark 450g slab wrapped up under the tree!

Deb
22-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Fudge???!!!! Mmmmmm :yes:

I have the Catwalk Christmas Collection :D

Claire
22-12-2008, 10:43 PM
I've got Hotel Chocolat Gianduja under the tree for Poppy and the best thing about Geoff contracting at Harrods Aviation? All the Harrods goodies we get at Christmas!!!

Dawn
23-12-2008, 08:24 AM
I remember when Harrods didn't deliver Margot's Christmas. :rotfl:

Taja
23-12-2008, 10:28 PM
I worked Saturday and Sunday so I could take off the 24th and 25th. I'll probably work the morning of the 24th--I'm playing instead of working right now! :lol:

Deb
24-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Well, the M&S hamper did not arrive :lipwobble: Apparently the credit crunch has affected corporate gifts :rolleyes2: A tin of Quality Street arrived instead :mental: What's that about?????

Don't they know I won't be able to cope without the Christmas teabags (I never really understood what the difference was from normal teabags :unsure: ), tin of organic shortbread, spiced chutney and strawberry & champagne conserve (these things are in every year). How will I live without another wicker basket to find some use for in the house and stop the cats using them as luxury scratching posts??? Hmph.

I hope Margot, sorry, Claire, got her Harrods Christmas goodies....

Ursula
24-12-2008, 06:43 AM
That phantom fiddler is scary :(

Claire
24-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Harrods goodies did arrive! Christmas pudding, bottle of claret, a gold block (Harrods version of Toblerone), some coconut butter cookies and a beautiful pen in a metal case with a message from the chairman thanking DH for all his hard work this year! Thank you Mr Al Fayed but next year can we just have discount on all Mulberry and Chanel instead?