PDA

View Full Version : villa or onsite

goofygal
22-12-2008, 08:50 AM
we're still debating whether to go for a villa or pop century next year

I think its the disney busses that are making us think pop century may save us driving around.

Is there a villa area that has any kind of bus service to disney ?

Britchick
22-12-2008, 12:14 PM
i don't know about the busses goofygal but just wondering whether it might be a good idea for the main site to have a pro's and cons of staying on/off site or in a villa, in a simple list format.

Taja
23-12-2008, 10:48 PM
I don't think any of the villas provide transportation to/from WDW. Some of the off-site resorts do, but most of them have odd hours--last bus of the day tends to be before fireworks/finales. :eek:

Another possibility might be a split stay--part on site at WDW and part off-site at a villa or resort nearer I-Drive/US/IOA/SeaWorld. Just depends on how long your visit is!

ukwdwnut
28-12-2008, 03:38 AM
i don't know about the busses goofygal but just wondering whether it might be a good idea for the main site to have a pro's and cons of staying on/off site or in a villa, in a simple list format.

will put this to the team to see if it can be housed on the main site brit

Dawn
28-12-2008, 08:36 AM
If you rent a villa you will need a car.

We've always used hotels before but this time we have booked a villa - more room, private pool, kitchen, laundry facilities - no we've got the boy we don't feel one hotel room will make for a pleasant holiday experience.

ukwdwnut
28-12-2008, 12:10 PM
If you rent a villa you will need a car.

more room, private pool, kitchen, laundry facilities

agree totally....home from home, its great staying in a villa on every aspect of a stay

Ursula
28-12-2008, 12:15 PM
I have done both.... It is magical and awesome to stay onsite, you get the benefit of Extra Magic Hours (think that's what they are called, correct me if I'm wrong somebody) which means you can enter the certain parks on certain days an hour before the public. You can get alot of rides done in that hour. The buses are a plus and they do have laundry facilities on site and good pools, now the downside of staying on site I found were this... Not everyone can afford the luxury of having several rooms for the family so make do with one room, only the moderates and deluxes have a tiny fridge in the room, unless you want to pay for a fridge in the value resorts at around $10 per night. The laundry facilities mean you have to hang around while your stuff washes and dries :( plus the driers get really hot hot hot and ruin your clothes and it costs extra to wash and dry, in a villa it comes all in the cost of the villa. If you have not hired a car while staying onsite you are forced to eat at WDW and that can be very expensive in the long run or you have to get a cab to go to the stores and restaurantes outside of the WDW complex again this can turn out costly. If you are not a driver however then staying onsite is a good option because the Disney buses are free for you.

If you want to do both I would do onsite first then a villa, that way you can use the laundry facilities for free at the villa and are better able to take clean clothes home in your suitcase. Plus the space and own pool are very nice to have.

keith
28-12-2008, 12:31 PM
:yeahthat:

I think that's absolutely spot on and exactly what I'd say about onsite v off

We love the extra magic hours and the busses which mean we can drink without worrying about driving and so on. It's worth mentioning though that onsite disney restaurants have in general gone way downhill since the dining plan. The restaurants are more packed, harder to book, some of the nicer items have been removed from menus to prevent blowing the cost of the dining plan and overall, we tend to feel rushed now which is very different to a few years ago.

This means that after years of onsite only, we're thinking about perhaps splitting with onsite/villa for the first time. We ate offsite quite a bit this last trip and the restaurants offsite were mainly cheaper and nicer. Considering that from many disney resorts it can cost $20-25 just to get to downtown disney in a taxi before getting offsite to the actual restaurants, it's a very costly option.

ukwdwnut
28-12-2008, 12:37 PM
:yeahthat:

I think that's absolutely spot on and exactly what I'd say about onsite v off

We love the extra magic hours and the busses which mean we can drink without worrying about driving and so on. It's worth mentioning though that onsite disney restaurants have in general gone way downhill since the dining plan. The restaurants are more packed, harder to book, some of the nicer items have been removed from menus to prevent blowing the cost of the dining plan and overall, we tend to feel rushed now which is very different to a few years ago.

This means that after years of onsite only, we're thinking about perhaps splitting with onsite/villa for the first time. We ate offsite quite a bit this last trip and the restaurants offsite were mainly cheaper and nicer. Considering that from many disney resorts it can cost $20-25 just to get to downtown disney in a taxi before getting offsite to the actual restaurants, it's a very costly option.

you will not be disappointed staying in a villa keith for sure...if you d oia cab everynight a car would/maybe cheaper for just the two of you

Team Harris
30-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Have stayed offsite and then more recently onsite. Onsite wins for us, we only sleep in our rooms. I would never waste holiday time on laundry - so laundry facilities don't come into it with us. Mad as it seems, we seem to be on the go the whole time. When we make use of EMH, then we are too tired to drive and therefore the buses are ideal. We usually have a car so that we can get to non-Disney places. This year, we wil be making use of the Magical Express to and from our resort and then hire a car for the middle of the holiday!

disneydiva
30-12-2008, 03:36 PM
onsite for us too

we dont want to drive at all on holiday and the busses are ideal. for the few times we go off to seaworld or premium outlets a taxi works ok

we wouldnt want to lose out on the extra magic nights and love feeling right in the magic for the whole holiday

Ursula
30-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Laundry facilities are essential for us because we literally take hardly any clothes as we use our baggage allowance to shop til we drop.

Slowhand
30-12-2008, 03:59 PM
We are fortunate to be able to have the best of both worlds.
As we own a villa over there, and also because we have been DVC members since 1992 we tend to split our stay, spending some time at the villa and using our DVC points in order to stay on site for the remainder of the time.

Both have good and bad points. The villa is great as a base in order to get away from the hustle and bustle of WDW for a while and to be able to sample many off site restaurants without feeling the need to eat on site. It`s also good to lounge around the pool over breakfast without worrying about any maids knocking on your door before they begin cleaning your room.
The on site option is also good as you are in the heart of the "magic" and we don`t have to bother with the mundane chores at "home". The downside being that I feel duty bound to have dinner on site more often which ain`t cheap!

Taja
30-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Using the laundry facilities at the WDW resorts isn't bad. You do need to schedule a bit of time in your day (or night--Shelly did laundry around 3:00 a.m. last year--she couldn't sleep!) and watch the dryer temps! :lol: The laundry areas are near the quiet pools at the resort, so you can swim or sun a bit--or find a shady spot in my case--while waiting for your laundry. :)