PDA

View Full Version : Help!! R.E homework

ukjay
06-01-2009, 05:39 PM
please can someone help me answer this question.

why do people suffer?

^^i have to write a report answering this question^^

Britchick
06-01-2009, 06:07 PM
oh my gosh - that's a tricky one

what do you mean by suffer? what immediately springs to mind is what one sees as suffering other's put up with and accepts as normal.

i.e someone in a 3rd world country might accept that people die young because they can't get medical treatment for a condition or they don't have a variety of good food to eat. In countries in the western world this would be deemed as unacceptable and therefore people would be said to be suffering.

also is it a physical or emotional thing? or both

lozzy
06-01-2009, 06:18 PM
You could look at it in the way that people suffer pain because they are to proud or ashamed to ask for help.

foreverducky
06-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Could also add the spin that those suffer because those around them don't help them.

Or that people suffer because they choose a path that leads to suffering.

There are loads of answers to this question.

Tink
06-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Some people suffer as a matter of devotion. "Offer it up" is a statement you'll hear in some religions regarding the experience of suffering. Suffering in that context is thought to be 'holy' or for the love of G-d. Throughout history (particularly in the RC church) suffering has been seen as a good thing, something that brings you closer to G-d, to holiness.

It seems like your being asked to write an expository essay on what suffering means to you. Pick an aspect, or discuss all aspects you can think of and present them in separate logical paragraphs.

Have fun! Sounds like a rather neat assignment. :yes:

ukjay
06-01-2009, 06:58 PM
thank you all, you have all opened my mind to what 'suffering' means .

lozzy
06-01-2009, 07:13 PM
A very clever piece of homework, really gets you thinking about what it could mean, so many different ways to explain the same word...

Good luck

mumof2
06-01-2009, 07:18 PM
wow - that was difficult! It certainly got me thinking. Thank goodness he's done it now, luckily he didn't have to do too much or I fear we'd still be here this time tomorrow trying to get it finished! Thanks for all your help :hug2:

josh.p.
06-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Glad you got it sorted- I was very excited I got to finally use some R.E knowledge I gained in GCSE, however, this one had me scratching my head. Well done on writing it, :)

PsychoAlice
07-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Suffer from what? I mean there are sooo many things to suffer from. Why would a person suffer in a dead end relationship? Why does someone suffer from depression? Alcohol abuse. Drug abuse. Domestic abuse. I could go on and on and on

Tink
07-01-2009, 03:19 AM
R.E knowledge Josh? Educate me...

mumof2
07-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Suffer from what? I mean there are sooo many things to suffer from. Why would a person suffer in a dead end relationship? Why does someone suffer from depression? Alcohol abuse. Drug abuse. Domestic abuse. I could go on and on and on

well, they were shown pictures of 3rd world suffering and death and then asked why they thought people suffered. His immediate thought was 'death' so we suggested he ask for other peoples thoughts on here and in the end Jay included drug abuse, religious suffering, illnesses and 3rd world poverty and disease. I think that although it's a short piece of work it's a good one.

Thanks for all your help everyone :hug2:

You're right Sarah, we discussed various interpretations of the word but there are so many more - it really gets you thinking doesn't it?

josh.p.
07-01-2009, 01:57 PM
R.E knowledge Josh? Educate me...
I studied it in School and it was one of my favourite subjects. I'm not religious in the slightest, but do think it has it's place. I think the power of religion is that it gives people faith. Some people need it, and others are less dependant on it, or find their faith in other ways. The various different religions fascinate me.

mumof2
07-01-2009, 02:02 PM
I studied it in School and it was one of my favourite subjects. I'm not religious in the slightest, but do think it has it's place. I think the power of religion is that it gives people faith. Some people need it, and others are less dependant on it, or find their faith in other ways. The various different religions fascinate me.

Jamie's not religious either Josh, but he really enjoys R.E - it's so different to when I was at school. He has 2 teachers, one of them is all hippylike - she's cool. If i'd had a teacher like her I think I may have enjoyed it too!

Dawn
07-01-2009, 03:27 PM
That's not fair. When I was at school the RE teachers were PE teachers who were too old to teach PE anymore. :unsure:

mumof2
07-01-2009, 04:13 PM
That's not fair. When I was at school the RE teachers were PE teachers who were too old to teach PE anymore. :unsure:

:yes: i know what you mean - this one's waaaaay different to mine!

mumof2
07-01-2009, 04:14 PM
my English teacher now teaches him though.....:unsure:

Tink
07-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Ah. So RE is religious education? That's what I was asking about. The meaning of the initials RE. :lol:

Makes sense now.

mumof2
07-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Ah. So RE is religious education? That's what I was asking about. The meaning of the initials RE. :lol:

Makes sense now.

oops! sorry Tink, should've thought :sorry:

foreverducky
07-01-2009, 07:16 PM
I had been curious too. :D

mumof2
07-01-2009, 07:27 PM
I had been curious too. :D

you should've said! :yes:

Tink
07-01-2009, 07:28 PM
No problem! Discussing suffering didn't necessarily mean we needed to know the class... :D

We got religious based suffering in there, so all is well!

Tink
07-01-2009, 07:30 PM
You know what I like best about this thread? We all had an opportunity to "discuss" an issue and help out someone who is learning about the world. That's the way it should be, eh? It's a bit corny, but it does 'take a village' if you want to have a really broad understanding of issues.

Your children will not be narrow minded Mairead! :hug1:

mumof2
07-01-2009, 07:33 PM
No problem! Discussing suffering didn't necessarily mean we needed to know the class... :D

We got religious based suffering in there, so all is well!

True! :lol:

You know what I like best about this thread? We all had an opportunity to "discuss" an issue and help out someone who is learning about the world. That's the way it should be, eh? It's a bit corny, but it does 'take a village' if you want to have a really broad understanding of issues.

Your children will not be narrow minded Mairead! :hug1:

Bless you Tink, I certainly hope they won't be...:hug2:

Dawn
08-01-2009, 07:46 AM
They teach it very differently and right from the start. In Steven's class there is a boy whose family are Jehovah's Witnesses so they do not celebrate Christmas so the teacher worked that into one of their lessons so they understood why they should not send that boy a Christmas card.

They also have a child in the class who has 2 mummies and no daddies so they've talked about that too.

They earlier they understand how broad our society is the better I think.

mumof2
08-01-2009, 11:14 AM
They teach it very differently and right from the start. In Steven's class there is a boy whose family are Jehovah's Witnesses so they do not celebrate Christmas so the teacher worked that into one of their lessons so they understood why they should not send that boy a Christmas card.

They also have a child in the class who has 2 mummies and no daddies so they've talked about that too.

too right, and that's how it should be.

My children knew in the simplest terms how babies came out of Mummies tums, that men and ladies could love another man or lady, the suffering of children at the hands of nasty parents, starving children etc, in age appropriate terms when they were young so it's no big deal to them now.

josh.p.
08-01-2009, 11:35 AM

I think that is how it should be. A few months back at the drama group I used to go, I said Lesbian, and the drama teacher gave me a scowl and said "there are children around" as if it was a swear word. I was completely angered by this! I thought it was down right terrible!!

Tink
08-01-2009, 01:16 PM
"Religion" as general subject matter isn't taught here, unless you go to a private religious based school, or if in a public school, you attend private religious ed classes. For the most part that is.

Our schools are far to concerned with dealing with "distressed" parents than they are with teaching children about the many faceted world in which they live. Leaves our US society ripe for bigotry and racism, all those other 'isms' and phobias.

Josh, I'm surprised at your Drama coach/teacher!

josh.p.
09-01-2009, 11:55 PM
I am glad I don't go to that drama group anymore. That's the first point where I realised she wasn't just a snob... she was a horrible person!!!