PDA

View Full Version : Sigh......schooling issues

Johnie
12-01-2009, 03:21 AM
So last year I started a doctorate in psychology program. Part of my work benefits are tuition reimbursement. Well, they reimbursed one class, managed to lose the paperwork for the other class so I was SOL :thumbsdown: Anyway, I haven't taken classes since last May since work told me the agency didn't have money for tuition reimbursement. I am not happy. I swear I keep waiting to hear that they don't have money for my health care.

I am essentially tapped out of federal financial aid. My plan had been to pay for the first class and then pay for subsequent classes with the tuition reimbursement. I also had been taking classes online. I get it into my head last night that I should look locally and maybe classes will be cheaper and perhaps I could get a fellowship and/or teach undergrad classes.

So I am looking and proud of myself for thinking of this so early. Apparently not early enough. The deadline for fall semester entrance was December :banghead:

As I am well aware that many things are not set in stone, do you think it would be a good idea to go ahead and apply anyway?

foreverducky
12-01-2009, 03:24 AM
I personally would call the admissions department and talk to someone about your situation. They may make exceptions, doesn't hurt to ask.

Not to get noisy, but have looked into get school loans that are based on your credit and work history. They do work very similar to federal loans are not paid back until school is over. Trust me, I have loads

Johnie
12-01-2009, 03:25 AM
I found some email addresses and am going to make some inquiries.

I haven't looked at private loans in awhile but several years ago they wanted a co-signer and I can't ask mom or dad to do that.

foreverducky
12-01-2009, 03:26 AM
There are some out there now that you don't need a co-signer as long as you have had a job consistently for 2 years and have decent credit.

Johnie
12-01-2009, 03:30 AM
Interesting. Could you send me a PM with the lendors names? Thanks hon.

Mari
12-01-2009, 03:52 AM
I would apply anyway

the worst that could happen is that they say NO.. which is what you have right now, so, nothing to lose :)

good luck Johnie!

Beccaberry
12-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Go for it!

Dorothy
12-01-2009, 02:56 PM
It doesn't hurt to try, I'd go for it :thumbsup:

Johnie
12-01-2009, 03:25 PM
I've sent some email inquiries this morning.

Tink
12-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Remembering of course that every contact with the institute of higher education (as a doctoral candidate) goes on to form part of their concept of you as a doctoral candidate.

I understand the situation, and I'm sure you can explain it very well, but you want to avoid at all costs that you were unaware of the deadlines as a result of procrastination or because you take a laid back approach to your studies. I know that isn't the case, but they see much of that on a daily basis and that will be their first thought.

I worked with students in the office of academic support as an undergrad and came away with quite an uncomfortable concept of how students are judged and how those judgments carry through their academic careers. :sigh:

Nothing for you to be in an uproar about, just want you to be hyper careful to explain succinctly but clearly why you are in this situation. :yes:

Good luck! :hug1:

Johnie
12-01-2009, 03:57 PM
I just told them that I am currently enrolled in an online program but I wanted to transfer to a traditional school. I didn't mention anything about my procrastination :nono:

Tink
12-01-2009, 03:59 PM
But it wasn't procrastination. It was not knowing their schedule. (And yep, that can go against you too). Telling them that you wanted to switch is the best way. :yes:

Hope it all goes well!

Taja
12-01-2009, 04:42 PM
:fingers:

Johnie
12-01-2009, 05:28 PM
The deadline is indeed firm. Well that gives me 10 months to get my ducks in a row for my application then. Maybe the financial situation with work will be better and I can get reimbursed.

Maybe I'll take something fun at the community college in the meantime. Gotta keep the student loan people at bay :unsure:

Taja
12-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Good idea, Johnie!

Will they accept community college coursework to keep the student loan repayment at bay?

I already paid off my student loans before I began post-graduate work. Since I paid for that OOP while operating a business a gazillion hours per week, it took forever. Still, it was nice not to have any debt when I finished!

Johnie
12-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Yep, as long as I am in school half time, I will be eligible for a deferment.

Taja
12-01-2009, 05:43 PM
:cool:

Might as well take something you enjoy, then!

And at the lowest possible cost! :lol:

After all, you are the Budget Queen! :D

Jodie
12-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Sounds like a pain in the butt you don't need while working and studying!, Hope you get it sorted soon. xx

foreverducky
12-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Good plan. Take a few classes to keep the loans payment people away. It will also keep you in the school mode. Not too mention this gives you plenty of time to work up your statement of purpose and get great recommendation letters. :D

Tink
12-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Taking something fun is alluring, but do try to make it something that will enhance your career. :D Computer software applications, a language, something along those lines. :D

foreverducky
12-01-2009, 06:17 PM
A writing course would be extremely beneficial. :D

Tink
12-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Ohhhhhh! Yes indeed!

foreverducky
12-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I think we all can use practice with writing. I still don't have my grammar down like I should.

Disneybumble
12-01-2009, 06:50 PM
A language course to help with your new Travel course. Sorry it hasn't worked out hon but do something fun and hit the ground running in October.

Johnie
12-01-2009, 07:42 PM
I keep contemplating ASL but I do NOT have a knack for languages. I have tried ASL in another graduate class and that was beyond hard. I don't think my fingers move quite like they should :unsure:

foreverducky
12-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Also, to truly be fluent you need to take several classes. Honestly I was naive and thought it would be easy to learn this language (as I have trouble with other languages) and boy was I ignorant. When I looked into it, it proved to be a task and half. I didn't even attempt it after my eye opener.

Tink
12-01-2009, 11:03 PM
It's not so much how your fingers move as it is the way your brain thinks. First, the deaf have fierce memories. Seriously. It was an aspect of our learning.

Secondly, you need to train yourself to think in pictures instead of words. Once I got that down, I moved beyond a plateau that I had hit.

Then, you need to understand the culture. Physically trying to describe something with your gestures is polite and accepting. Writing something down for a Deaf person is considered ignorant and sign of the writer's ummmmm...stupidity. :sorry: The Deaf view the written word as not of their language, it's a second language to them, so they feel when they are written to, they are being forced to communicate in a language they don't understand well.

ASL has a defined syntax and grammar, long thought to be absent in that form of communication.

Some of the signs make great sense if you understand the history behind them.

And yes. :) Deaf people in different countries have different signs. :) Hence the name, American Sign Language as opposed to Portugese sign, or Spanish Sign, or French Sign, or the generic (but not widely used) gestuno.

The Deaf for the most part (generalities are always fraught with exceptions) quite blunt, direct folk who will describe you as you appear to them. If you have curly hair, are tall, are of a particular build, all that will factor into their description of you. It's not impolite in their world.

Eeeeesh. I ramble. :sorry: I love the language and sorely miss being able to use it. :(

Johnie
12-01-2009, 11:13 PM
I don't think in pictures which I think is what makes it hard for me to grasp a true awareness of autism as well.

We have two counselors in my office who are deaf and hard of hearing. One is the regional counselor for all the deaf/hard of hearing clients. The other has a general caseload. I see them and the interpreters signing all the time, I wish I could pick it up by osmosis :sorry: I'd love to learn it and maybe one day I will.

Tink
12-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Well, we don't think in pictures because as hearing people we first learned the function of sound as it relates to our communication, eh?

You can learn to think in pictures though. Just try it for a bit. Instead of the word car, bring up a picture of a car in your mind. Now, how would you SHOW the car?

(Actually, that's a terrible example because the car for car is a fast spelling of c a r). :sorry:

But you get the idea. :yes:

Johnie
12-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Hmm I will try that. I am very much a visual learner. I have to put my hands on something to "get" it. I wonder if this would be a similar way of learning?

Tink
12-01-2009, 11:47 PM
You need to have a deaf instructor. I know that sounds "bossy" but it's the single best way to learn.

There is a website that actually shows you how to sign, too. Not just in drawn pictures, but with someone actually signing.

ASL, like any other language has regional differences too. The Deaf are quite clear that THEY define their language and do not take kindly to interference with that definition by hearing folks.

I understand their seeming militancy (although it is easing a bit with the decades). They were so discriminated against, and taken advantage of, that they've learned to shut out anyone who is not of their community. I've even been involved in very heated discussions regarding cochlear implants (a device of the hearing world invented to demean the Deaf :eek: ) and having Deaf children born to hearing parents sent to Deaf residential school by age TWO. The child is considered as belonging more to the Deaf community than the hearing family to which the child was born.

Very politically charged stuff.

The Deaf were physically punished for signing so learned to do it secretly, and ASL was born of that underground form of communication.

I always wanted to attend Gallaudette, but things just didn't work out that way. :sigh: