View Full Version : How scary is the tower of terror?

13-01-2009, 11:34 AM
It's something I've always wanted to try but been too chicken to, so how bad is it really? Is it really just a lift up then a drop and are the drops violent at the end?

13-01-2009, 11:39 AM
It's something I've always wanted to try but been too chicken to, so how bad is it really? Is it really just a lift up then a drop and are the drops violent at the end?
I love this attraction and even my DW who is not a "white knuckle rider" has been known to go on it too!
There are several "drops" and they are randomly chosen so that seldom do you get the same experience twice. [In fact, you don`t "drop", instead the mechanism pulls you down at a greater rate than gravity!!!] :unsure:
Yes you do get that "stomach in your mouth" sensation but you are well strapped in and totally safe. :thumbsup:

13-01-2009, 11:40 AM
None of the drops are what I would call violent. I absolutely love this ride. In fact it is my favorite at WDW. However, my DW won't ride it. She doesn't even like regular elevators.

13-01-2009, 11:43 AM
this was my experince and you may not feel the same but i went on it against my better judgement and was on the verge of wailing like a baby!

DH and the boys who were 10 and 5 at the time found that quite amusing and laughed at me....lots!

they had a fabulous time :yes:

oh, and i had to tell people ALL about it when i got home.....it was that therapy which aided my recovery!

13-01-2009, 12:14 PM
The build up is the scariest part to it - the atmosphere is what makes this ride so special - my 3 year old rode it and loved it :D

13-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Definitely the 'ride' part at the beginning and the anticipation is much scarier than the actual drops - the drops feel quite 'controlled' iykwim.

13-01-2009, 12:28 PM

how sad is it that i have never seen this written before but I knew instantly what it was

13-01-2009, 12:32 PM

Scarier still I find myself speaking in abbreviations , I am always referring to Colin as my DH :lol:

13-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Years ago when my DW and I took our first trip together to the Studios, I had heard of the Tower of Terror but never ridden it. Of course, it was high on my "must do" list. However, that was NOT the case for my DW. She is definitely not a thrill type person.

After much begging, pleading, cajoling and wheedling, I finally convinced her to give it a go. So, into the queue we go and all the time we're waiting, her anxiety is building... and building... and building... By the time we got to the actual ride, I wasn't sure she was actually going to go through with it. However, trooper that she is, she did indeed board the elevator and sat next to me (of course).

At this point, she insisted that I put my arm around her, she buried her face in my chest, clutched onto my arm, and, I believe, held her breath and didn't look up again from that position until the ride had "come to a full and complete stop"!

As we were exiting the ride (with her still shaking like a leaf and still slightly blue from holding her breath), she turned to me and literally shouted the following for all and sundry to hear (unusual, if you know my wife);

"That was great! Let's go do it again!"

Ever since then, it's been her favorite ride and is at the top of her "must do" list every time we go. :laugh2:

Tom (imagine if you will, a post. A seemingly innocuous post in an otherwise normal thread.)

13-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Uh-uh, no way, no how!

I do not like the feeling of being dropped. I know it's controlled. I know it's safe.

I rode it once.

And my equilibrium still can't deal with it. :sigh:

13-01-2009, 02:41 PM
I have a friend who says she hates it because falling on accident is enough for her....forget about falling on purpose..

Half the time you dont know if you are going up or down!

I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this ride and I too have taken a 3 year old on it...and they cried..but then asked to go on it again...well at Disneyland

13-01-2009, 07:40 PM
we got denise on it on our first trip just said to her its pretty tame, she came off white as a ghost :lol:

13-01-2009, 08:29 PM
The build up is the scariest part to it - the atmosphere is what makes this ride so special - my 3 year old rode it and loved it :D

Completely agree with this. This is my favorite ride in all of WDW.

Tink in Pink
14-01-2009, 01:06 PM
I was mega scared when i went on it in October as hadnt been on it for 5 years, but when you actually get passed the first drop you realise it isnt that high, my 7 year old sister had her arms up. The build up is the scariest bit. Disney is all based around kids so dont think they can make it overly scary.

15-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Not for me! :eek: I've been on it twice (slow learner) and won't be doing it again thanks. Don't like the sensation AT ALL!!!

The second time we were on it, Herself's 70+ year old Mom was with us. She's yelling, "Whoooohooooooo!" on the drops and I'm hanging on for dear life doing Lamaze coaching breaths! LOLOLOLOL.

Nope. Not a drop down fast person tatall! :D

15-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Lol Tink! Imagine you being scared and your Mom going Whoooooo! Personally it is my favourite ride in any theme park anywhere. I am proud to say I have kept a personal count and have ridden ToT 47 times. :yes:

15-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Oh. My. GOSH!!!! :bugeye:

I can do Splash Mountain (and enjoy it) does that count? :D :D

Tink in Pink
15-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Ha ha, i think the scariest thing about the rides in disney are the gift shops at the end, we had 4 year old triplets and a 7 year old so had to march them through sharpish so they didnt have chance to say "I want that" after ever ride, lol.

15-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Four year old triplets! :eek: HOLY COW!! You are one brave lady! :D :D Four children under 8 overwhelms me just to think about it!

Tink in Pink
15-01-2009, 10:05 PM
There was 6 adults, it was good fun, they were good as gold but a little excited which was nice

15-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Well, at least you had some help. :yes: I saw triplets at WDW one time (in one of those enormous one behind the other strollers) and they were all pitching a dying duck fit. I don't know what had upset them, but whooooeeeeee were they unhappy! :eek:

15-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Its a ride I hate to love . :laugh: I'm not a drop ride type person, but I've been on it quite a few times and survived .

17-01-2009, 10:57 AM
my DH and 3 yr old son went on this last time we went and proceeded to come off looking green and vowing never again as long as they step foot on this earth, i then chickened out, but i am determined to go on it in september and have told DS (who will be nearly 8 this time) that I'll give him $10 if he'll come on with me ;)

17-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Not in a million years!!!!!

17-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Not in a million years!!!!!

Havent you done it even once Donna? You might like it. :yes: I remember saying I would never ride the Hulk and I love it now that I have tried it.

17-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Nope. Never done it. I'm not fond of "real" elevators, so there's no way I'm getting in one that intentionally drops!!! LOL One thing that worries me (besides throwing up) is that I'd get off the ride and I'd be so upset and/or sick that it would ruin the rest of my day. The first time I rode Mission Space it was that way. It really played games with my head - and stomach.

17-01-2009, 09:28 PM
I understand you might not like it if you arent keen on elevators. I hate heights but strangely enough I love this ride. Everyone (just a few exceptions all the times I have been on) seems to be in stitches when the drops happen. The collective laughter seems to be infectious. :lol:
Mission Space though - thats a different matter! http://www.unity.i8i.co.uk/forum/images/smiley_vomit.gif

18-01-2009, 03:42 AM
Jon typically enjoys those (as Slowhand calls them) "white knuckle" rides...but he gives this ride a miss as often as I'll allow him :) While he loves "rollercoasters" he does *not* like the sensation of falling. I love it. My kids can't get enough of it. I think it depends on the type of person you are...

08-04-2009, 03:10 AM
My mum is a wimp at rides and she went on it... she loved it! Dad will pretty much go on everything but he went on it and wouldn't go back on it!!

I really think it is one of those you just have to ride and find out. The pre-show is BRILLIANT imo.

Perhaps if you watch that on youtube then you will feel a bit better about it... although that may ruin the suprise :unsure: It's on there if you want to do a search and see if it calms you down!!

22-04-2009, 04:12 AM
It's definitely a controlled fall feeling. But honestly what I remember most is seeing my 7 yo sister start to slip out from under the safety bar (or at least appear to). THAT is what scared me about it.