PDA

View Full Version : Plane Down

Tink
15-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Not terrorists. Perhaps a flock of birds.

US Airways from La Guardia to Charlotte, has gone down in the Hudson River. All passengers are reportedly alive.

On MNBC right now.

mumof2
15-01-2009, 09:12 PM
oh my gooness - i hope everyone gets out ok.

Mags
15-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I have just been watching this on the news. I hope everyone is OK. It has been reported on the BBC that it is believed that everyone survived. I hope that is the case but again they they dont know for sure. horrible news.

Margaret

mumof2
15-01-2009, 09:17 PM
i just watched it on cnbc - how frightening.

Deb
15-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Watching it now. Gosh.

Tink
15-01-2009, 09:22 PM
It is scary. It is being said with more authority now, a flock of birds took out two engines.

They believe everyone will be rescued without incident but they are losing light. Also, the Hudson is brutally cold right now (not to mention filthier than filthy) so being in the water is not a good thing.

I fly US Air to Charlotte. :eek: I know it's no connection but it does give you pause.

lisaw
15-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Just seen it on the news as well - :fingers: everyone is safe - the pilot is a hero :yes:

Tink
15-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Yes, he brought that plane down in the water with no loss of life, or property (innocent bystanders type of thing). Amazing.

Britchick
15-01-2009, 09:36 PM
it's what they train for again and again and again. They are some lucky people today!

Tink
15-01-2009, 09:48 PM
That's the total truth, Brit! :yes:

The plane was only 3,200 feet in the air when the pilot had to bring it down. The reports are stating that it was birds now.

There was an interview with a passenger. The poor guy was so scared, and relieved and happy that he was literally babbling. He'd been on Spirit and the flight was canceled so he was moved to the US Air flight. Sheesh.

Herself just said that she'd be asking for a train ticket (back to Orlando). I'd stick with the pilot of the downed plane!

Claire
15-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Scary stuff. The pilot did well!

Mari
15-01-2009, 10:33 PM
I just read on yahoo....

Thank God everyone is alive

Tink
15-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Anyone who can develop a piece of equipment to protect the air intake of the engines that will keep out birds is going to be one rich person.

The three person crew, plus the two pilots should be very proud of themselves for controlling a fiercely dangerous situation and getting everyone to safety.

Tinker
15-01-2009, 11:13 PM
The pilots & staff did an EXCELLENT JOB . I'm watching it now on the news . Everyone got off safely and except for some traumatized passengers ( I can imagine ) , no one was hurt .

Shogun
16-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Looks like some fantastic flying.
Well done that pilot. Great to see everyone got out ok.

Johnie
16-01-2009, 01:03 AM
I was in Wally World with a client when I receive a text from Becca stating "a plane crashed in NYC". Can I tell you that my heart just stopped for a moment? I'm glad that everything is ok :yes:

Tink
16-01-2009, 01:36 AM
Same here, Johnie. Herself came home from work and walked right to the remote and turned on the television (I don't have it on during the day). She'd heard a newscast on the radio.

When I first saw it my heart stopped. My first question to her was, "Terrorists?" When she immediately replied no, I started breathing again.

The pilot had many years of experience including fighter pilot experience. How fortunate for those passengers. :yes:

Johnie
16-01-2009, 01:40 AM
I just looked at all the pictures and am just awed at the capability of that pilot. He should truly be commended.

Tink
16-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Isn't it amazing. Can you imagine how cold the Hudson must be? Some passengers reported being wet from the waist up, but so grateful to be alive they didn't really feel the cold. I can understand that intellectually, but this is someone who heats her pool in the dead of summer. That cold water would have been terrible.

Not to mention the germs, bacteria and other icky horrid stuff in it! :bugeye: It's the HUDSON for heaven sake! :eek:

uscwest
16-01-2009, 02:59 AM
They said the air temp was 20 and the water temp 36. The only injury reported is that one lady had two broken legs.

Disneybumble
16-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Truly remarkable pilot. This could have been unthinkable with such a close proximity
to Manhattan. Thank God that everybody is here to see another day.

mumof2
16-01-2009, 11:28 AM
I just looked at all the pictures and am just awed at the capability of that pilot. He should truly be commended.

I so agree - isn't it incredible. How wonderful to hear a happy ending for a change.

Shellyamc
16-01-2009, 02:33 PM
This was so very scary! Looks like we have a very happy ending though..it could have been so much worse!!

A++++ for the pilot who made all the right decisions!

I asked why they don't just put mesh on to keep the birds out, but Dh said that it would ice up and cause the same trouble. Seems like a simple thing to fix, but I guess it isn't.

MystikPiglit
16-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Well done, Captain Sullenberger! :applaudit:It seems he also went through the plane twice to ensure everyone was off. What a guy! :worship:

Tink
16-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Yes, it is a very complex problem apparently. There is something to do with the amount of air that is drawn in (and the high speed at which it is drawn in) that also interferes with putting any sort of screen over the engine intake area.

I still think that if we can put a man on the moon (UH OH!!! Now I'm sounding like my Gram!!! :lipwobble: ) we should be able to come up with a way to keep birds from being sucked into jet engines! :eek:

Shellyamc
16-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Yes, it is a very complex problem apparently. There is something to do with the amount of air that is drawn in (and the high speed at which it is drawn in) that also interferes with putting any sort of screen over the engine intake area.

I still think that if we can put a man on the moon (UH OH!!! Now I'm sounding like my Gram!!! :lipwobble: ) we should be able to come up with a way to keep birds from being sucked into jet engines! :eek:

Well that was my thought. I mean that happens all the time..don't they think something should have been done about it by now. I'll take a few less peanuts if they keep birds from taking the plane down :unsure:

foreverducky
16-01-2009, 03:28 PM
I just got this quote from the article on MSNBC and it made tears come to my eyes....

"Some passengers prayed. Vallie Collins, 37, tapped out a text message to her husband, Steve: "My plane is crashing." For a desperate half-hour, he was unable to get in touch with her to learn that she had survived."

mumof2
16-01-2009, 03:31 PM
I just got this quote from the article on MSNBC and it made tears come to my eyes....

"Some passengers prayed. Vallie Collins, 37, tapped out a text message to her husband, Steve: "My plane is crashing." For a desperate half-hour, he was unable to get in touch with her to learn that she had survived."

oh G-d, what that poor man must have gone through.

Beccaberry
16-01-2009, 03:35 PM
We were in the city last night when the reports started rolling in...the silence was almost deafening...and when they announced the cause, the collective "sigh" could almost be heard 'round the world.

Well done "Sully" you give pilots a good name, man.

It was interesting to see security detail bumped up until the cause was confirmed. We stepped off the train at Grand Central to find our friendly machine gun holding security team in full riot gear. A bit disquieting at the best of times, but moreso as it was cold and they were all wearing full face coverings, so all you could see were their eyes.

*sigh*

foreverducky
16-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Better to be safe than sorry. Sounds like an well oiled machine, you know. Something happens and bam, they go to work.

Beccaberry
16-01-2009, 03:48 PM
It definitely seems to be moving efficiently. It was a bit startling nonetheless, as we hadn't seen them there in some time...

Tink
16-01-2009, 03:51 PM
It would have freaked me out, Becca. :sigh:

I will say one of the other positives in all this is that the security systems were tested (as you saw) and they all apparently work just fine. Tragic that we need them, but wonderful that there was no tragedy.

Mark_W
16-01-2009, 05:17 PM
I couldn't believe this guy who phoned in on the Jeremy Vine show today.
He said that the pilot was not a hero he was just doing what he was supposed to do in that situation and should not receive all that praise for just doing his job...............what a moron. The pilot deserves the highest accolade that the USA can give.

Britchick
16-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I couldn't believe this guy who phoned in on the Jeremy Vine show today.
He said that the pilot was not a hero he was just doing what he was supposed to do in that situation and should not receive all that praise for just doing his job...............what a moron. The pilot deserves the highest accolade that the USA can give.

i wonder if this 'gentleman' would have been able to keep his cool.

Jazmine
16-01-2009, 06:03 PM
:worship: for the wonderful pilot :hug2: what an incredible thing to do and how thankful these passengers must be :yes:
Jacqui xxxx

Beccaberry
16-01-2009, 06:13 PM
I guess in a sense, he was doing what he was *trained* to do...I'm sure pilots log hours of simulation training for these types of things. However in my opinion, the presence of mind that he had, and the diligence with which he carried out that training is not something that can be taught. That diligence, that rise to the call of duty is what sets him apart.

disneymom
18-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Here's the full video which has been released, pretty amazing

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/17/usair.splash.video/index.html?iref=topnews

foreverducky
18-01-2009, 04:57 PM
I saw that the pilot is going to be on the Today show on Monday. I think I will try to check it out.

kazzaqld
20-01-2009, 07:44 AM
I only just heard about this - we didn't have TV on the island and honestly I didn't want to know about the outside world. :tongue:

I am kinda glad I'm only hearing about this now - remind me to post you the pics of the bird-covered runway on the island! :unsure:

The pilot definitely deserves a medal! Yes, it's his job, but it's no different to a brave policeman doing the right thing under pressure! :thumbsup: