PDA

View Full Version : Anyone miss the OLD cinemas

disneymom
20-01-2009, 02:41 PM
I was just typing in a message about celebration and remembering the old cinemas. The ones with atmosphere rather than these new ones which are all the same

Does anyone else remember going in the days when they had intermission and someone came round with ice cream :lol:

I miss it :sorry:

foreverducky
20-01-2009, 02:42 PM
I miss drive-ins. I went to some when I was little. Back then it was two, count them two for the price of one.

lisaw
20-01-2009, 02:46 PM
I miss some of the things about them - they definitely had more atmosphere and the cinema always seemed full as our local one had 3 screens and only two showings a day. The snacks weren't the ridiculous prices they are today either.

I don't miss the fact that we used to have to queue outside and you came to learn depending where the queue was if you would be able to get a ticket. The seats were very uncomfortable as well - I never had enough legroom.

Another problem I had was that if it was a longer than usual film we would aways miss the last bus home :lol:

foreverducky
20-01-2009, 02:48 PM
I love going to the movies and to the shock of a friend of mine....I go alone all the time. I sit where I want, see what movie I want, and don't have to worry about someone trying to talk to me. :D

On the 23rd you will see me at my local theatre seeing Underworld 3

lisaw
20-01-2009, 02:50 PM
I love going to the movies and to the shock of a friend of mine....I go alone all the time. I sit where I want, see what movie I want, and don't have to worry about someone trying to talk to me. :D

On the 23rd you will see me at my local theatre seeing Underworld 3

I wish I could go to the cinema on my own - there are so many films I would love to see at the cinema but don't.

I think it's great you go alone :yes:

foreverducky
20-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks! I told this same friend I ate out all by myself and she was speechless. :lol:

ukwdwnut
20-01-2009, 04:02 PM
oh god yeah when i took me mum to see titanic she said after about an hor when does the ice cream lady come round :lol:

do you remember staurday morning pictures too

lisaw
20-01-2009, 04:12 PM
oh god yeah when i took me mum to see titanic she said after about an hor when does the ice cream lady come round :lol:

Er no.. :unsure: :taunt:

foreverducky
20-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I always go to the movies at the earliest showing possible, usually around 10am.

Dawn
20-01-2009, 04:25 PM
I HATE MULTIPLEXES!!!!! :furious:

Faceless, horrid buildings with no personality and screens the size of a dishcloth.

Give me a proper cinema anytime. A building with character and a big screen and proper curtains and snacks that don't cost more than your ticket and, and and and

You get the picture.

And yes I will movie alone if necessary.

Britchick
20-01-2009, 05:35 PM
i hate the cinema full stop. You have to sit in uncomfortable seats with other people sitting right next to sniffing and coughing and munching bah humbug

candyman
20-01-2009, 07:16 PM

yes mick i also remember when our local cinema had a special saturday morning sponsored by pg tips (the monkey tea)
you had to take and empty tea box and got in free and there were lots of prizes all to do with the monkeys

also does any one remember the terible adverts for the local indian/chineese restaurants
steve

Tink
21-01-2009, 12:24 AM
Herself and I have become members here. It's a wicked cool place! :yes: http://www.enzian.org/

wdwgrandma
21-01-2009, 12:45 AM
We had two theaters in our town: the Isis and the Sipe. One screen each.

Tink
21-01-2009, 01:26 AM
The films currently showing at the Enzian aren't much to write home about unless you are into retro stuff (which we aren't) but they also have some great independent films or films that aren't widely shown in mainstream theatres. :yes:

It's the experience more than anything. The menu there is really nice! :yes:

foreverducky
21-01-2009, 01:51 AM
I would love go one of those midnight showings of Rocky Horror Picture Show, that I've heard so much about. :D

foreverducky
21-01-2009, 01:54 AM
Btw, that menu for your place looks great Tink. Bring on the nachos!

Tink
21-01-2009, 01:57 AM
The menu really is good, Billie. It would be a great place for Rocky Horror!! :yes: The seating is cool, we reserve a table. Like I said, we aren't into retro (reruns by any other name) and that is what is playing right now (since Milk ended) but they do have nice films throughout the year.

We like their film festivals too. The Florida Film Festival features Cat Cora. :9: We are too excited to be going to THAT! :D :D (Yeah, it's always back to food with us). :lol:

BigThunder
21-01-2009, 02:03 AM
I guess I like both. The stadium seating at the new theaters is the best imo. No more 6'4 dudes (like my husband) blocking the views, plus they seem roomier with the lift up arm rests in case you want to snuggle with your kid or better half.

But the old ones do have such charm. We have one in town called the Keith-Albee. I tried to find a good pic to post here but the ones on google were all tiny. It's huge & very old & has a very spooky feel to it. The bathrooms are in the basement & i would never go to them alone, lol. It's now being used for live performances & very few at that because...you guessed it.... a cineplex came into town & shut it plus two other small theaters down. Sometimes progress is rough.

I have no memory of intermissions or ice cream ladies. When we were at Sci Fi my husband & i were discussing the intermission thing. He remembers them.

Tink
21-01-2009, 02:04 AM
Can't say as I remember intermission at films. :unsure:

foreverducky
21-01-2009, 02:26 AM
Some movies now-a-days need them. Especially Titantic and all those horribly long Lord of the Rings movies.

I do enjoy the big seats and yes, say good-bye to the big heads in front of you. :D

Tink, I saw that the Wrestler is going to be playing at your place. That should be a good one in my opinion, but eh, to each their own.

Oh Cat Cora, that would be cool.

Tink
21-01-2009, 03:04 AM
We saw previews for it when we went to see Milk. It's definitely not our kind of film, but honestly? It did look well done with an intriguing story line. I don't care for Mickey Rourke (and wow, time has not been kind to him) so that was another detractor.

It does seem to have a pretty good following though. :yes:

Planet of the Apes though? Herself was totally unimpressed! :lol: "You had us join a Film Theatre and they play PLANET OF THE APES???!!" Yeah. Weird conversation ensued...trust me. :shrug: :spring:

foreverducky
21-01-2009, 03:10 AM
Plastic surgery and boxing was not kind to him.

I likely would have had the same reaction with the Planet of the Apes. I mean really...but something better will come along. :D

Dawn
21-01-2009, 07:58 AM
also does any one remember the terible adverts for the local indian/chineese restaurants
steve

Oooh yeah I remember those. Our local cinema always showed one for a local lighting shop called,.......wait for it........Flashers. Can you imagine the hysteria everytime that one came on. :laugh:

Ahhhh those were the days.:sigh:

candyman
21-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Oooh yeah I remember those. Our local cinema always showed one for a local lighting shop called,.......wait for it........Flashers. Can you imagine the hysteria everytime that one came on. :laugh:

Ahhhh those were the days.:sigh:

it always makes me think of an old jasper carrot sketch
where he talks about an advert for a butchers where the the voice over says
"buy your chops from me dad " but ofcourse in a very broad birmmingham accent .

mainecoon lover
21-01-2009, 03:32 PM
We still have them here in Cornwall :yes: although with the high cost of snacks and no ice cream lady :thumbsdown:.

BigThunder
21-01-2009, 04:38 PM
our cinemas always show commercials for local businesses while you wait for the opening trailers to start. Just another way to make money for the theater I suppose & the advertisers have a captive audience.

Johnie
23-01-2009, 04:01 AM
I would love go one of those midnight showings of Rocky Horror Picture Show, that I've heard so much about. :D

Those are SO much fun!!

I like the new theaters only because the seats are comfy and I like the stadium seating. You don't have to worry about someone tall sitting in front of you.

I like the old theaters because movie going was such an event! I love it.

We used to have movie cafes here. They played second run movies and you could order food along with wine and beer. It was lots of fun.

I go to the movies alone too. It's much easier than trying to get people to go see what you want when you want to go :tongue:

malcolm
23-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Remember when my brother and me used to get dropped off at the Cinema for Saturday morning matanee and mum and dad went shopping.

Taja
23-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Growing up in Los Angeles, we didn't have the elaborate cinemas of places like Boston and NYC. But compared to the multiplexes, they had a lot of charm! Detailed mouldings, special wall/ceiling finishes and lighting, balcony, proper velvet curtains and such. Unfortunately, even the plush seats were pretty uncomfortable, and the others were downright uncomfortable! Have to admit the seats in the multiplexes are much more comfortable! :lol:

No ice cream ladies during intermission, but there were a lot of cute, animated ads urging everyone to patronize the snack bar! :lol: And they played newsreels during intermission. Seems really strange in an era of instant news! :)

There were Saturday matinees, although I only went to a few on summer special. Something on the order of 35 cents per child or the series for $1.50. Great value for larger families! :) Second run movies for the most part, though. But it kept the kids entertained for a couple of hours. :lol:

Tink
23-01-2009, 01:22 PM
I've just remembered (buried in the deep recesses of my very scary mind) a visit to a small village (visiting cousins) where we were sent off to the "movies" one of the visiting days. All of us trooped to the theatre, paid our money and had a bag of popcorn and two sodas each. :lol: Must have been pretty inexpensive as there was quite a little group of cousins that went.

Don't remember a thing about the movies themselves other than being bored senseless and wishing I'd brought a book and a flashlight! :oops: :lol: