PDA

View Full Version : fun with cars...

Hex
25-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Dawn went out to get a bag of birdseed from somebody offering it free via freecycle, about 10 minutes drive away. She has been gone about half an hour...

Just had a phone call from her... her car broke down near the station :( and she is has called the breakdown people.

Looks like it's probably the Alternator... had to charge the battery a couple of weeks ago because it went flat. It appears that it has not been recharging properly since then by the alternator. Happy days.

Tink
25-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Oh total UGH!!! I hate car problems. :( But you are right, eh? Not charging the battery does point toward the alternator. Any chance that it's something more simple like a bad belt that works off the alternator? :unsure:

Well, at least it hasn't jumped time, eh? That's what happened to our poor little Nissan after ten years. We still miss that little car. :sigh: (And the excellent gas mileage it got)!

MystikPiglit
25-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Oh dear. I hope she doesn't have to wait for long.

Isafari
25-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Oh no, what a way to spend a day off! I hope she has an ipod or something to keep her occupied.

Hex
25-01-2009, 03:09 PM
She has returned. :)

The Car was jumpstarted by the breakdown man... he recommended trying a new battery first... fair enough... The car is 10 years old and i can't remember ever having to replace the battery.

Actually there might still be time to get to a Halfords (a uk car-stuff chain) before they close... off now...

Tink
25-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Good luck!!! :wave:

Dawn
25-01-2009, 03:25 PM
I#m going with the battery. It never does a journey long enough to charge it these days. School run mainly. I sat at the level crossing with lights, wipers, heater and dvd player on for about 5 minutes - took whatever power the battery had left. :(

Aside from that when it was apparent my car was not moving the queue of vehicles behind me all pulled round and left me. A kind passer by pushed me into a side road. People are so inconsiderate. A car broke down in front of me once driven by an elderly lady. I got out and explained I couldn't push as I was pregnant but I flagged someone down to help - eventually. :furious:

Taja
25-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Glad you made it home safely, Dawn!

I definitely would try the battery first. We're lucky if we get three years out of a battery here, so it's always my first thought when the vehicle won't start--depending on the sounds emitted, of course. :rolleyes: The battery that came in my Toyota actually made it 4+ years--a record for me! :lol:

Hex
25-01-2009, 04:06 PM
And 60 later, I return as well... just had the fun of fitting the new battery in the rain :rolleyes3:

Tink
25-01-2009, 04:07 PM
WOW! That's pricey for a battery, isn't it? :unsure:

Dawn
25-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Not really.

Does that count as a carpe diem purchase?

Tink
25-01-2009, 04:12 PM
No. That counts as a "gotta do it so we can then carpe diem" purchase. :lol:

Skywatcher
25-01-2009, 04:32 PM
:hug2: sorry hun - pretty pricey bird seed - at least the breakdown didn't hapen on a school day

Britchick
25-01-2009, 04:33 PM
that sucks, :thumbsdown:

i would help someone in a very public place but i wouldn't put myself in stranger danger iyswim! I gave a man my umbrella the other day as he had broken down on a main road and was calling for help on his mobile- he couldn't believe that i would leave it with him! it was only a couple of s and i figured he needed it more than me lol it was lashing down!

Dawn
25-01-2009, 04:39 PM
:hug2: sorry hun - pretty pricey bird seed - at least the breakdown didn't hapen on a school day

But it's Wiggly Wigglers bird seed. :lol:

Johnie
26-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Glad you got it sorted out! I can't beleive people won't stop and help. That's just awful.

I'd get the alternator checked just in case too. Do you have a place that will check it for free? We have Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone here. They are auto parts stores that will bring out the little machine and tell you if it's your battery, alternator, starter with the problem. Quite handy.

BigThunder
26-01-2009, 04:11 AM
Sorry that happened Dawn. Breaking down in your car sucks. Hopefully it's just the battery & nothing more.

Taja
26-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Nice work, Adrian! :thumbsup:

Hope it's just the battery. :fingers: