PDA

View Full Version : it never fails.....

wdwgrandma
27-01-2009, 10:55 AM
John's in Germany, we're supposed to have snow and ice today and tomorrow - and the furnace has gone out!!!! There's no heat in the house! :blizzard:I have 2 heat dishes to take the chill off, but I'm home today to wait for the furnace folks to call me back.

Figment
27-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Oh no! Is it really bad in Virginia, Donna? We've just got about 2 inches of snow last night and it's pretty cold...they cancelled school. Bundle up in some nice warm blankets with some hot tea or cocoa and hopefully you won't have a long wait.

Our furnace went out on Christmas Eve once, and I was terrified no one would want to come out and fix it. The repair guy was really nice and even cut $50 off the bill.

Fingers crossed and pixie dust coming your way that it's not something serious.

Tink
27-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Well, a tiny bright side is that if you do get the snow and ice today, you aren't on the road! :yes:

I hope the repair gets done quickly and it's nothing too expensive. :( Stay warm!

wdwgrandma
27-01-2009, 12:55 PM
I just got off the phone with the furnace folks. It will cost $90 just for them to come to the house (they'll be here between 8 and noon), and he'll give me an estimate before he fixes anything. However, I have to have heat in the house.....

Britchick
27-01-2009, 12:58 PM
the doormat has a sensor Donna, never fails here either. I am capable of handling most crises now however!!!! I'm just wondering what will happen later in the year when Jon leaves lol

Tink
That's the real issue. Regardless of what it's going to cost, you have to do it. Heaters never go when they aren't needed.

You could try another company and get two estimates of the problem, but that's up to you.

Is there no one else around who could pop in (neighbor, son, etc.) and give you a hint as to what the problem might be? If it's the fuel injector (if it's an oil based furnace of course) that shouldn't be too much. If it's the motor, ugh. :(

What sort of heater is is? I mean, what does it use to produce heat, electricity, oil, gas...? How is it powered, in other words?

mumof2
oh no what a nightmare :hug2:

wdwgrandma
27-01-2009, 12:59 PM
It's really coming down! The ground is white. I've seen weather reports that predict between 1 and 3 inches - or, if you listen to another weather person, we can get between 3 and 5 inches! Add ice to that and it equals dangerous driving conditions!!!

Tink
27-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Well, let's hope that doesn't keep the furnace repair people from coming, but it's good that you aren't trying to get to and from work, eh? :yes:

wdwgrandma
27-01-2009, 01:03 PM
That's the real issue. Regardless of what it's going to cost, you have to do it. Heaters never go when they aren't needed.

You could try another company and get two estimates of the problem, but that's up to you.

Is there no one else around who could pop in (neighbor, son, etc.) and give you a hint as to what the problem might be? If it's the fuel injector (if it's an oil based furnace of course) that shouldn't be too much. If it's the motor, ugh. :(

What sort of heater is is? I mean, what does it use to produce heat, electricity, oil, gas...? How is it powered, in other words?

I could call someone else, I guess, but the folks I called are the ones who do all our heating/air conditioning stuff. Oh, it's a gas heater... But I know we have gas to the house because the kitchen stove and the water heater work.

No, there's really no one I can go to. All the neighbors I know have moved or are at work...

wdwgrandma
27-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Well, let's hope that doesn't keep the furnace repair people from coming, but it's good that you aren't trying to get to and from work, eh? :yes:
I already let my carpool fellow know I wouldn't be meeting up with him this morning because of this. I would have only had to drive to the commuter lot, but that is 5 miles away. Even that's too far if there's ice on the road - which may be what we have tomorrow.

Tink
27-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Well then, if those folks are ones that you have used in the past, I'm sure they'll be fine.

A gas heater? OK. My parents have gas. I don't know a whit about gas though, as I've only ever used, oil, coal or wood (and now electric). Not that anything I would have to say would really help the repair! I was just thinking that if it was a heater that I had some familiarity with you'd better know what you were facing.

Hopefully your repair people will be there soon! :yes:

Tink
27-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Ice means you stay home. Period. No job is worth traveling on ice. :eek:

Taja
27-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Oh, dear! Mechanical stuff has the worst timing, doesn't it?

Can't do much except commiserate--and wish I could send you my large space heater via a transport spell or something else immediate! At least you could keep one small room relatively cozy with it!

:fingers: that it isn't too expensive!

Beccaberry
27-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Oh hon...I'm so sorry :hug2: I hope you get it fixed...and SOON!! :hug1:

Sending loads and loads of warm thoughts... :hug2:

wdwgrandma
27-01-2009, 02:06 PM
I like gas heat. It is much warmer than electric. And heat pumps are the worst!

The man is down there right now replacing a bad circuit board. Boy, this is going to cost me...

Taja
27-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Ouch!

Have to agree about gas heat being much more efficient than an electric heat pump. The heat pumps become less effective the colder the weather--beginning around 35 degrees! :eek: That's why we have a large (heats about 400 sq.ft.) and two small space heaters! :rolleyes: We don't use them all that often, but this year they're having a bit of a workout! :lol:

wdwgrandma
27-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Ice means you stay home. Period. No job is worth traveling on ice. :eek:
that is why I brought my work laptop home and had someone at work transfer my phone. I have NO intention of going out. The heater guy says the roads are bad., He saw several cars in the ditch on his way over!

wdwgrandma
27-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Here is just an idea of how much snow we've gotten in the past couple hours:

Dorothy
27-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Yep, it's gonna cost you, but it's better than freezing :yes:

Is that amount of snow unusual for your area?

Johnie
27-01-2009, 02:49 PM
:hug2: stay warm Donna. I hope it gets fixed soon.

We even got snow today...well west of Richmond did. I didn't. I got to drive in while it started sleeting :thumbsdown: I also walked very carefully throught the parking lot so I wouldn't fall.

wdwgrandma
27-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Yep, it's gonna cost you, but it's better than freezing :yes:

Is that amount of snow unusual for your area?
Oh, yeah! We don't usually even get more than a dusting around here. So when it snows like this it is big time news!

Guess what! We have HEAT! Yippee!!!!!! To the tune of $600+

Johnie
27-01-2009, 03:16 PM
whew...you better enjoy that heat!!

wdwgrandma
27-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Feels really good!!!

lisaw
27-01-2009, 04:13 PM
That is a lot of snow!

I can see a hidden Mickey on the corner of the car above the radiator :D

Glad you have heat although ouch to the cost.

Beccaberry
27-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Don't you dare go out in that, Donna!! I'm glad your heat is back up and running, regardless of the cost (though I know you're not saying that :hug2 ) Stay warm and dry hon!!

Ursula
27-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Here is just an idea of how much snow we've gotten in the past couple hours:

Ha! Like the car plate :D er and don't go scraping snow off the wrong car lol.

Ursula
27-01-2009, 05:22 PM
OMG! I see a red Mickey head just above your drivers front light!

Ursula
27-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Oops read all posts lol... not the only one to see it!

Tinker
27-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Glad your heat is back on Donna . We have gas heat I was thinking it may have been the therma cuppler, as ours has gone a couple of times inb the 20 some years we have lived here . Circuit Board, Yikes !
You got a lot of snow . Please stay home and stay safe & warm . :hug2:

Britchick
27-01-2009, 07:03 PM
glad you got it sorted Donna:yes:

kazzaqld
27-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Glad you are warm again - not cheap as you suspected!

I was going to offer to send you some of mine! :yes:

wdwgrandma
27-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Some general statements...

1. I don't own a pair of snow boots - and John's are WAY too big

2. Even standing on the running boards, I am NOT tall enough to completely clean the snow off the windshield of the Durango

3. The same goes for cleaning the snow off the roof of the Durango

4. Being out in the cold is not good for my asthma

5. 180's are great and I don't know how I lived in Indiana without them

6. I am SO glad I brought home my work laptop since we've been authorized ad hoc telework tomorrow since the weather is supposed to get worse

7. Having a working furnace is wonderful!

Johnie
27-01-2009, 08:37 PM
I completely agree with #4! That is the only time my asthma acts up. That and when I am in an enclosed area with a horse.

Beccaberry
27-01-2009, 09:05 PM
You leave that Durango ALONE!!! No need cleaning it off because you ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!!! Just you stay put cozy and warm :hug2:

wdwgrandma
27-01-2009, 09:18 PM
You leave that Durango ALONE!!! No need cleaning it off because you ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!!! Just you stay put cozy and warm :hug2:
Where were you a little while ago when I went out to clean off the Durango????? LOL

wdwgrandma
27-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Lovely... The snow has stopped but the sleet and freezing rain has started...

Beccaberry
27-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Donna, is that what's headed towards us?

wdwgrandma
27-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Probably. That nice clean Durango windshield? It is covered in ice now...

Beccaberry
27-01-2009, 10:19 PM
*sigh*...we haven't even thawed from the *last* one....

Tink
28-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Well then. Ya'll are just tryin' ta scare me over here in Auburn, MA aren'tcha'? :unsure:

I was thinking of heading back into Boston and cutting the trip short, but decided to go for it and stay here. Can't let a little o'l winter storm scare me away! :lol: (Plus, I insisted on four wheel drive at the rental counter). :D

Donna, why don't you own a pair of boots? Even I own boots! LOL. They are ankle boots, but are winter boots. :yes: I did have to go and buy some warm socks though tonight. My Florida thin cotton ones just aren't cutting it.

Now then. Leave the Durango to the weather, stay inside and enjoy that heat!

wdwgrandma
28-01-2009, 04:38 AM
Donna, why don't you own a pair of boots? Even I own boots! LOL. They are ankle boots, but are winter boots. :yes: I did have to go and buy some warm socks though tonight. My Florida thin cotton ones just aren't cutting it.

Now then. Leave the Durango to the weather, stay inside and enjoy that heat!
I had a nice pair of boots. John got them for me. He got some for himself just like them. Mine disappeared. I've looked everywhere.

Tink
28-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Too weird! :eek:

The snow has started here in Auburn. It's a thin, fine, gentle snow. Not sure if it will pick up or what, but for now, I'm not terribly worried.

Yah. I know. Famous last words. :eek:

wdwgrandma
28-01-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm teleworking again today. Everything here is all ice covered and there's an icy mist coming down. It's supposed to turn to just rain later today. But I'm not going out on the ice.

wdwgrandma
28-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Here are a couple of "ice" pictures

Tink
28-01-2009, 01:57 PM
The forecast here today is for the snow to become heavier as the day goes on, then the switch to rain. :lipwobble: That will of course create a huge mess on the roads. :( It's supposed to be done and gone through this area by midnight. Let's hope they are right.

I need to get to Boston Thursday night. :sigh:

wdwgrandma
28-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I sure hope you can make it, Tink. Bad weather can make travel treacherous.

I heard a pounding noise out front and looked to see the next door neighbors trying to clean their car windows. And I just watched the lady across the street slip and slide her way down her driveway. She nearly fell while attempting to chip the ice off her vehicle. I'm not sure how she regained her footing!

I put John's boots on again and gingerly walked out to get the newspaper. I ended up crunching through the ice-topped snow in the yard since the driveway was just too slippery!

Tink
28-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I remember those days. Walking on the snow and breaking through the icy crust as it gave better footing than the walkways.

Was happy to have 4x4 today. Mass doesn't plow it's roads very well. :unsure: Could be because all the schools are closed.

There was a long line up of plows on an overpass to 90. I don't know if they were waiting for it to get worse, or if they were all lined up ready to go...

Stay in now. You don't need to be slipping on the ice and falling out there. :eek: Remember when that happened to Marion? She fell and broke her ankle and had to crawl back into the house? She was in her pajamas too, so ended up with some frostbite.

Don't want any repeats of that! :bugeye:

Taja
28-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Glad you're in where it's safe and warm, Donna! Please stay there. :)

Tink, hope the weather improves for you.

I'm another one who doesn't own winter boots--or any boots, for that matter! :lol: I wear old sneakers to slog through the rain and inevitable nasty puddles. :rolleyes:

wdwgrandma
28-01-2009, 08:46 PM
So we didn't the late morning rain that had been predicted. Everything was still ice covered (scroll up a bit to see some photos I posted), so a few minutes ago I put on John's boots again and went out to scrap the ice off the Durango and get the mail. Fingers are still thawing out, and my feet are cold. I wanted to get it done while there was still some light out. It's been overcast and dreary all day.

So guess what... It's raining.

Johnie
28-01-2009, 08:48 PM
The ice is dangerous but it is oh so pretty.

Beccaberry
28-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Awesome photos, wdwgrandma :thumbsup:

We've had a snow day here today...woke up to five fresh inches...and now it's raining....and disgusting...