PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Sunday!!!!

Tink
01-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Well, it's here! For our non-US residents, it's the "big" day for gridiron football. This year's Super Bowl is in Tampa, and features the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Arizona Cardinals. :yes: (Gooooooo, Cardies! :D :D ). Neither of which is "our" team, but what the heck!

One of the things that has evolved out of the "game" is a Super Bowl Party. :yes: Some folks have them at home, some folks attend them at local pubs/bars, ect.

We are staying home (real surprise there,eh) and will have our own party for two. :D I'm not a huge football fan, but Herself is and has been since a young kid.

I do the party bit. :D :D

So! We will be having for our Super Bowl Party:

A small selection of French Cheese and Irish Cashel Bleu
A small selection of Olives (French, Moroccan, and Spanish)
A small selection of three cured meats (two artisinal salami types, and a bit of prosciutto)
Cornichon
Whole wheat naan, and whole wheat soft tortilla (to replace the dangerous bread!)
Oysters Rockefeller
Broiled lobster tail (Hey! They were on sale)! :D
Chicken breast "tenders" done in a "Buffalo style" to keep with the "tradition" of Super Bowl...
A small pate (mixed)
Pistachio nuts for crunch... (to replace the chips and pretzels of more traditional gatherings).
A particular blanc de blanc that I love...

The menu changed and evolved throughout the days leading up to the game. At one time I was going to do individual Beef Wellingtons but switched to a more seafood based theme...

So! What are you doing? Anything? Are you having a party, if only for yourselves?

Share!!! :yes:

Beccaberry
01-02-2009, 02:58 PM
We're having our own little party for two here as well!!!

We've spent the entire week mulling over "health friendly" treats that we can indulge in during the game....

Here's what we've come up with so far...

Roasted Red Pepper Dip w/ veggies (red bell, green bell, carrots, celery)
Shrimp - Old Bay Steamed, Cold w/ cocktail sauce
Spinach/Artichoke Dip - Variations on a theme here, modified to be a bit healthier...again with massive veggies
We also have those Quaker Popped Treats (Ranch, Cheddar, Caramel) and Barry's Bakery's Twists (1 point each and they are TASTY!)
A lovely bottle of wine and perhaps a martini

The kids have requested pulled pork...so I'm indulging them :D

Now, we're also trying a variation of buffalo tenders...any tips/hints/tricks? I'm sort of "winging" it here, so any help would be much appreciated :D

GO CARDINALS!!

Tink
01-02-2009, 03:08 PM
WHOOOOHOOOOO! Another Cardie fan! :D :D Well, at least for this super bowl, eh? :D :D

I'll marinate the chicken tenders in ff buttermilk, hot sauce and a dash of vinegar. Then, I'll bake them (basting with a bit of the marinade) until tender and serve with ff bleu cheese dressing (a yogurt based bleu cheese dressing). Does that help? You could put a bit of panko on the tenders to bake them, for crispyness...but we avoid bread in any way we can, so I'm not doing that.

Beccaberry
01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm big on avoiding breads as well, hence the baking...

I'm starting with hot sauce, paprika, ground red pepper...hadn't considered the vinegar and buttermilk...but I like the idea...

I haven't found a FF dressing I enjoy, so I'm splurging for the full fat...I'll keep looking though...

Thanks for the advice!! I can't wait to try them out!

foreverducky
01-02-2009, 04:53 PM
I would love to be gorging myself on pizza, nachos, etc., however, I will just sit back and think about the wonderfully greasy, salty foods. :D

However, you both sound like you are going to have fantastic foods!

Beccaberry
01-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Ok foodies....this is what we've got so far...

Tenders are marinating (added the vinegar, but didn't have the buttermilk, do you think it'll matter?)
Spinach/Artichoke Dip made and ready to go in the oven (after we made it, we found it tasted REALLY yummy cold too, so we saved a bit out for dip...
TONS of veggies cut up
Shrimp boiled and chilling (OOPS! Forgot the beer, and as we've not been keeping it in the house and I can't go buy any, we'll go with peel 'n eat only today)
Roasted red pepper dip ready to go...SPICY!
And since the kitchen was already a DISASTER, we thought we'd give the Salmon Cakes w/ Red Pepper Mayonnaise a try as well :D

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! FD, wanna come over and help us eat all this food?

Mari
01-02-2009, 05:59 PM
yumm!

Tink.. can I come over???

seriously... your menu sounds DELICIOUS!

and I never thought you could make superbowl sunday about anything else than football.. but you just did! and now Im hungry!!! :)

wdwgrandma
01-02-2009, 06:14 PM
And I don't have to watch it!!!!!

foreverducky
01-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Well of course I do, let me just pack my drinks. I'm bringing Diet Coke and Vodka. :)

kazzaqld
01-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Becca I so want to join your party!

Just think, 2 years ago Gareth and I were at luvthemouse's for Superbowl Sunday! Wish I had some good pictures but they're all blurry! :unsure:

Johnie
01-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Nope, not watching it and not doing anything special.

I also want the Cardinals to win. I like seeing the long shot teams win.

Tink
01-02-2009, 09:07 PM
The chicken is marinating here too. :D

The brand of dressing we've been using lately is Bolt House yogurt based. It's pretty good. (Nothing is as good as full fat). :D

We're a little overboard on the fat, but that's better than carbs for me any day. :yes:

We'll be back to the regular dietary approach tomorrow. (And haven't strayed today... One of the things we've learned is that if we are going off the diet, we need to control those choices, too. A couple of forbidden items is about all we like to have when straying... and only once during the day. We don't through caution to the winds and gorge, is what I'm trying to say). :D

So, only two parties?! :eek: Wowee.

Johnie
01-02-2009, 09:08 PM
No one is home but me :wiggle:

Beccaberry
01-02-2009, 09:08 PM
We managed to make it to the gym this afternoon, too!

We just finished the salmon...it was excellent!

Now we're off to shower and get ready for the game :D

Tink
01-02-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm supposed to SHOWER? :eek: Heck, I thought this was a guy sorta day? :unsure: :wink: :D :D

Beccaberry
01-02-2009, 09:11 PM
LOL! Indeed...but I love Jon fresh out of the shower, so he conceded the point....I told him I'd let him sit beside me on the couch :D

Tink
01-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Ummmmm, is that TMI? :unsure: :D

wdwgrandma
01-02-2009, 09:13 PM
No one is home but me :wiggle:
Same here. If John were here I'm sure he'd watch the game. But I have no interest in it.

Beccaberry
01-02-2009, 09:15 PM
LOL, not in a naughty sense really....I love my kids freshly bathed too...there is just something about that fresh soap smell :D

Tinker
01-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi There ! I'm having a small family Super Bowl Party of six . We are pulling for Pittsburgh since they are local . But, i think the Cards are going to win .
We started off with a fresh veggie platter with low fat ranch and bleu cheese dressing .
We also have a bologna, cheese and olive tray .
I made sweet sausage and hot sausage sandwiches with sauteed peppers & onions .
And a huge pot of chili .
Kim's birthday is tomorrow , Ground Hogs Day . :point:
They got an apartment today . :bounce:
Anyway, Pat bought her a huge birthday cake with all kinds of snacks .
Drinks ... we have beer, wine, Cap't Morgan , Iced Tea and soda . I'm drinking the Cap n Coke .
Have Fun, Everyone ! :hug2:
GO STEELERS !!!

Tinker
01-02-2009, 11:43 PM
ooooo, Cards challenge and win . 3 points !

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 01:53 AM
Is anyone else watching the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet? Personally, I found them far more entertaining than the half time show :D

Johnie
02-02-2009, 01:54 AM
No I am watching my Sunday trash tv.....

kazzaqld
02-02-2009, 01:55 AM
I am working, (yeah right so why am I on here! :nono:)

I am wishing I was there at the party......:sorry:

Tink
02-02-2009, 02:03 AM
OOOOOO! Competition is nice! HEY!!! WHEN did a linebacker learn to run like THAT!!??? :bugeye: Eeeesh.

S'up with the Boss? :unsure: Bad voice night or what? :unsure:

We are still working on the cheeses, olives, hummus, pate, cornichons, and charcuterie! :spring: Will most likely be saving the chicken, oysters and lobster for tomorrows dinner. :lol: We do it very time. :sigh: Big eyes, you know?

So, the Cardies are struggling. :sigh: And what about that Steelers coach huh? Is he a pretty boy or WHAT? :D :D

Over all, having a pleasant evening, picking at way too much good food and wishing the Cardies would pull it out. :yes:

But hey, if the Pitts win, well... Emmett will be pleased. :laugh:

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 02:13 AM
:laugh: INDEED. It's almost worth pulling for 'em JUST for that (have I mentioned I love him?) :D

Not a huge fan of the Boss, really...and his wife...well...my grandmother always said, "If you can't say something nice...." :wink:

Same "problem" here, Tink...loads of food leftover...but that's ok...dinner's taken care of for the next day or two! The chicken tenders turned out delicious, and the dip was YUMMY...we had kalamatta olive hummus that had a lovely flavor!

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 02:24 AM
:laugh: at the Coke Zero commercial!

AND the Career Builder commercial :D

Johnie
02-02-2009, 02:25 AM
Well this game is a wash.

Johnie
02-02-2009, 02:26 AM
hey I may have spoke too soon

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 02:37 AM
UNSPORTSMANLIKE :nono:

Johnie
02-02-2009, 02:39 AM
Indeed.

Tink
02-02-2009, 02:40 AM
Yep. It's a good one. Close. Lots of work on both sides.

So far our favorite is the Bud commercial with the horse "fetching" the tree branch, and the two talking babies (with the one singing). :lol:

Some of the commercials are too out there. One of them was so weird we didn't have a clue what it was selling. :unsure: They are fun to watch.

I've never been a huge Springsteen fan, but my brother was, so I have "warm fuzzies" for him as a result of Joe's dedication. But I did think he was struggling mightily during the show. :(

So, who besides me thinks it's TOTALLY stupid for football players to have hair so long it's hanging down their backs outside their helmets? :rolleyes2:

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 02:42 AM
:yeahthat: Tuck that away for later, dude.

THEY NEED TO KICK HIM OUT!!!! HE PUMMELS THAT GUY AND GET'S ONE YARD?!?!!?!?!?!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!?!?

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 02:46 AM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAA!! I just love "karma" sometimes.

I only THOUGHT I was pulling for the Cards until now!

Johnie
02-02-2009, 02:48 AM
Yeah I am not a fan of that hair. It's rather distracting.

I love a close game

wooooooooooooo

Johnie
02-02-2009, 02:48 AM
oh sorry about that. I got a bit carried away by what i saw on the tv :tongue:

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 02:49 AM
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!

Long two minutes ahead :D

Tink
02-02-2009, 02:50 AM
OOOOOOOO! Now THAT was pretty!!! GO! Number 11!!! :9: Herself is bouncing off the walls! :lol: Actually, running around in circles :mental: waving her arms in the air, singing "It's a good game after all" to the tune of, you've got it... IASW!!! :laugh: Yeah. I love this woman. :laugh:

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 02:52 AM
Oh my. I think I just may love her too!!! LOL!!!

I just nearly spiked my computer on the floor!

Johnie
02-02-2009, 02:52 AM
a long 2 minutes indeed......

Tink
02-02-2009, 02:54 AM
WHAT is with the PITTS??? They are murder to take down! :mental: :lol: This is just too much fun, eh? Good close games always are (even if I don't truly get all of football...). :lol:

Ummmm...not so sure about that loving stuff there, Becca. :wink: :lol: :hug2:

Tink
02-02-2009, 02:54 AM
OK. So that was the stupidest commercial ever. Godaddy.com and "enhanced?" Give me a flipping break. Wretching now... :nono:

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 02:56 AM
:blech:

Johnie
02-02-2009, 02:56 AM
I grew up in a football household so this game is like second nature to me.

Baseball is something I do not understand at all.

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 02:57 AM
Ok...love may be a strong word...how about "I like the cut of her jib" :D (that's one of Jon's favorite "sayings") :wink:

Johnie
02-02-2009, 02:58 AM
oh my.....I may have a heart attack....

Tink
02-02-2009, 02:59 AM
OH MY GOSH!!! This is CRAZY!!!!

Tink
02-02-2009, 02:59 AM
Ummmm whatsa' jib? :unsure:

Tink
02-02-2009, 03:01 AM
Yeah, Johnie so did Herself. OH G-D. She's going to have a total beakdown! THAT WAS NOT A TOUCHDOWN!!!??? :mental: She's gonna' croak! :eek:

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 03:01 AM
I have no idea.

Johnie
02-02-2009, 03:02 AM
Cut of your jib
Meaning

One's general appearance and demeanour.

Origin

The jib of a sailing ship is a triangular sail set between the foretopmast head and the jib boom. Some ships had more than one jib sail. Each country had its own style of sail and so the nationality of a sailing ship, and a sailor's consequent opinion of it, could be determined from the jib.

The phrase became used in an idiomatic way during the 19th century. Sir Walter Scott used to it in St. Ronan's Well, 1824:

"If she disliked what the sailor calls the cut of their jib."

There may be an allusion between the triangular shape of noses and jibs in the figurative use of this phrase, but this isn't authenticated

kazzaqld
Ummmm whatsa' jib? :unsure:

Isn't it to do with sailing - a part of a sail? I can google it if you like!

ETA no need Johnie got there first

Johnie
oh goodness we're going to talk about this all night

Tink
02-02-2009, 03:03 AM
Oh. OK. LOL!

NO!!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!! TOUCHDOWN!!! AAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Johnie
A mighty good game. Both teams should be proud.

Tink
Yeah, I knew a jib had something to do with sailing, but wasn't sure how it translated into a human being, and an aspect to like and all that. :D

Beccaberry
RI DIC U LOUS.

foreverducky
02-02-2009, 03:04 AM
I'm not even watching, but I sure am getting a kick out of this thread. :lol:

Tink
02-02-2009, 03:04 AM
UH OH. Someone's talking nasty to the tv. :unsure: :hide:

Johnie
02-02-2009, 03:05 AM
trash talk huh?

Tink
02-02-2009, 03:06 AM
Marines blushing and all that. :eek: Herself seriously dislikes the Steelers. :sigh:

Johnie
02-02-2009, 03:08 AM
:tongue: I love some good, salty language.

Nothing is as cathartic as yelling at the tv.

Beccaberry
UH OH. Someone's talking nasty to the tv. :unsure: :hide:

You can hear me all the way in Florida?!!??! :D

Beccaberry
RI DIC U LOUS.

Seriously.

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 03:09 AM
WHO CARES IF YOU'RE RUDE AND UNSPORTSMANLIKE....HERE'S THE BALL!!!

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 03:10 AM
*DEEP BREATHS*

I'm also trying to write my report cards...somehow they seem to have a lot more exclamation points in them then usual.

Johnie
02-02-2009, 03:12 AM
Seriously though.....that was a fantastic game. I think the best SB I have ever seen.

Alysia asked why I was rooting for the Cardinals. They seemed like a long shot. I always like the underdog to win :thumbsup:

Tink
02-02-2009, 03:13 AM
Well then. Herself changed the channel! :lol: (Don't tell I laughed, ok)? :D

Suffice to say she is seriously UNIMPRESSED. :eek:

Oh well, President Obama is happy. :yes: :D :D

But no more songs to the tune of IASW here. :sigh:

Good game though. Can't say it wasn't!

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 03:13 AM
I'm an underdog person too...but wow.

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 03:14 AM
I've changed the channel as well. Threw something at it just for good measure too (ok, it was only a paper towel, but I feel better)

I'm still muttering.

Tink
02-02-2009, 03:17 AM
So is Herself. She'll be muttering for days. :sigh: She is consoling us with a secretly hidden chocolate bar though. :D Gotta' love those secret stashes, eh? :lol:

I do feel bad for the Cardies though. :sigh: I do like to see the underdogs win. :sigh:

Johnie
02-02-2009, 03:18 AM
I have changed the channel as well.

Who can go to bed after all that? My adrenaline is going!

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 03:18 AM
No chocolate here...just report cards to finish :(

:sigh:

Oh well...any given Sunday, huh?

kazzaqld
02-02-2009, 03:20 AM
Maybe now I can concentrate on work - and not check here every 10 secs to see what's happening! :unsure:

Sounds like it was a good game! :thumbsup:

Johnie
02-02-2009, 03:21 AM
I still have a whole tray of the Thornton's......want some?

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 03:21 AM
:laugh: "You should try reading the rules, Shankapotamus."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tinker
02-02-2009, 03:22 AM
WoW, What A Game ! Both teams were agressive, but Holy Cow , was it 92 Harrison from the Steelers punching the Card after he was down , he should had been rejected from the game for that . It was completely unneccasry .
On another note : how about Bruce . He looks good with the weight . I only live a couple of hours from Asbury Park and BS performs there and I've yet to go . I've always liked his music . Was hoping he'd sing Dancin In The dark, but Glory Days was an awesome ending .

Tink
02-02-2009, 03:24 AM
I thought he looked like he was struggling to sing, Sister Tinker. :unsure: He didn't really sing, you know? He kind of "talked" the lyrics?

It was fun to watch him though.

One heck of a game to be sure. Can't say the Steelers didn't win it. Was a good battle.

Tinker
02-02-2009, 03:26 AM
Alrighty Then, just read through the posts I missed . no one likes The Boss .

Johnie
02-02-2009, 03:27 AM
I didn't even see him. I didn't watch the game till the 4th quarter.

Tinker
02-02-2009, 03:29 AM
It was nice to see some old rock rather than Janet Jackson having a uh , misfunction :laugh:

Johnie
:tongue: indeed

Tink
Absolutely! :lol:

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Agreed. However, in my defense...those puppies were REALLY cute! :D

PsychoAlice
02-02-2009, 03:46 AM
I watched the shost hunters marathon....

Dawn
02-02-2009, 07:05 AM
So what happened then? :unsure:

Tink
02-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Steelers won. Linebacker for the Steelers ran the ENTIRE field for a TD. Amazing, even if we wanted the Cardies to win. Even with the incredible TD the Cardies rallied and it looked like they were going to take it, but in the last FORTY NINE SECONDS of the game, the Steelers made another TD. :sigh: :yes:

Dawn
02-02-2009, 02:09 PM
And in English please? :wink:

Tink
02-02-2009, 02:16 PM
You can't fool me Miss! :nono: You understand as much about gridiron as I do! :lol: Which granted is precious little, but if you want more detail, you'll be waiting for Herself to tell me what to say (and she's at work). :D :D :D Best not to ask her much though. :unsure: Her team lost. :eek:

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 02:26 PM
...but the food was DELICIOUS.

Tink
02-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Oh yes. :yes: :D And tonight's dinner is going to be seriously yummy too. :D :D

Beccaberry
02-02-2009, 02:33 PM
LOL!! :yes:

Tinker
02-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Very little leftovers here ! I made a *huge* pot of chili and I have a small zip loc container left .

Tink
02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
We didn't even get to all the food we had planned! :lol: Gotta' love it when two dieters decide to "cheat," eh? :D Those big eyes and small stomachs... :laugh:

Taja
02-02-2009, 02:47 PM
I was outside waging the unending war on weeds during most of the first half. BTW, weeds are winning at this point, if anyone is interested! :lol:

I'm not really a Cardinals supporter--not a fan of professional sports or football--but I was hoping they would make a good showing--and they did! :) A win would have been nicer, but a close game was a nice change for the Super Bowl, wasn't it? :D

Tink
02-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Sure was! It was a really close game throughout, even though the Steelers came out of the gate with a TD. :sigh:

Herself is a Bucs fan (that'll do, that'll do) but really wanted the Cardinals to win this one.

Tinker
02-02-2009, 02:53 PM
LOL I agree Sister Tink . My eyes are always bigger than my stomach was . LOL

Johnie
02-02-2009, 05:59 PM
It was an amazing game. It kept me on the edge of my seat!