PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a favorite musical?

Figment
03-02-2009, 03:25 PM
I've been watching The Pirates of Penzance this morning on Encore. (The one with Rex Smith, Linda Ronstadt, and Kevin Kline). It's a movie I've watched many times. I've also seen it onstage and I've even been in a production in High School.

I decided to record the next showing for Jordan...I've been making him watch a bunch of musicals lately just to expose him to them, although I try to make sure it's something he would enjoy. So far his favorite has been Godspell, another huge favorite of mine.

It just started me wondering what musicals are YOUR favorites...it can be an actual production you've seen, or a movie version. :yes:

catrancher
03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
I've always been a huge fan of the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals! South Pacific being my perennial favorite.

However, just lately I saw the movie "Mama Mia" and while I still don't believe Pierce Brosnan can sing, I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the show.

Of course, I do like the music of Abba. I suppose that explains the reason.

Tom (Bali Hi sounds good about now!)

Dorothy
03-02-2009, 03:32 PM
I have two favorites; Singing in the rain with Gene Kelly and The King and I with Yul Brenner. I just have to watch when either of them is on TV!!

Skywatcher
03-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Little shop of horrors - loved ashmen and menken :sigh:

Dawn
03-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Singing in the Rain. :singintherain:

daveann
03-02-2009, 03:48 PM
me too :yes:

foreverducky
03-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Grease 2

Claire
03-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Mary Poppins! Followed closely by Annie.

Figment
03-02-2009, 03:56 PM
I've always been a huge fan of the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals! South Pacific being my perennial favorite.

I like South Pacific a lot as well...another one I was in in High School.

Would you believe I have never seen this one?

lisaw
03-02-2009, 04:06 PM
I love musicals - old and new :yes:

Couldn't possibly name just one or even a few!

I love the oldies like singin in the rain, south pacific, west side story, oklahoma all of them really :D

I also love newer ones like Moulin Rouge and Chicago :yes:

Slowhand
03-02-2009, 04:26 PM
A vote for Phantom of the Opera here...seen it 4 times!!!
This is closely followed by Oliver/Mama Mia....tough call to pick a preference.

Tinker
03-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Sound of Music !

Dawn
03-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Sound of Music !

And would you believe I've never seen that one. :lol:

Loved Chicago on stage, still not so sure about the movie. :unsure:

Tink
03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Well, I don't much like musicals at all, but do like:
Fiddler on the Roof
Jesus Christ Superstar
Hair

That's really about it! LOL!

Figment
03-02-2009, 05:35 PM
I also love newer ones like Moulin Rouge and Chicago :yes:

OH! Love Love Love Moulin Rouge! Once you get over how different it is, it's wonderful.

A vote for Phantom of the Opera here...seen it 4 times!!!

Love Phantom. Finally got to see it onstage a couple of years ago....SOOOOOO good. Movie isn't bad, either.

Sound of Music !

Sound of Music is another I've been in...at the community theater where I grew up. Stage production is so very different than the movie...though I do love it.:thumbsup:

See why I'm making all of you pick number ones?! Impossible for me. :surrender:

Although Pippin and Jesus Christ Superstar hold very high places in my heart.

Figment
03-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Hair

HAIR! How could I forget Hair?! Love it!

Tink
03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I've not seen many musicals, as I don't much care for them. So that is part of the reason I have a short list. :D (I do love operas though. :yes: They are the original musicals, no)? :D :D

Dorothy
03-02-2009, 06:26 PM
I forgot CATS, I saw it live and it was wonderful :yes:

Shellyamc
03-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I have to say that my favorite has always been Into the Woods. :yes:

But I have a collection of musicals that is miles long. I love and adore them and 90% of the time I have music playing it is a musical. I can't even begin to make a list because it would be pages long. I miss being in them and I hope that one of these days I can go back and do some community theater again.

I am currently being a bit obsessed with Wicked and Bye Bye Birdie. :unsure:

Beccaberry
03-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Les Mis & Phantom were early favorites.

Mama Mia became an obsession of mine for several years (see it on stage NOT at the movies!)

Spamalot holds a dear place (first show I ever took my children to see)

The music of Spring Awakening is PHENOMONAL.

Wicked. :D :D I've never even seen it and it's a favorite. Just found out yesterday one of my parents is a set designer :D Johnie and I have been invited backstage in March :D :D :D :D :D

Johnie
03-02-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm so excited that I cannot stand myself!!!

Love, love, love Mamma Mia.

I really like all sorts of things but am truly drawing a blank at the moment.

Britchick
03-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Wicked. :D :D I've never even seen it and it's a favorite. Just found out yesterday one of my parents is a set designer :D Johnie and I have been invited backstage in March :D :D :D :D :D

NO WAY!!!

thats so cool!!

I think i prefer old fashioned musicals oklahoma, the king and I, sound of music, oliver, seven brides for seven brothers etc i think that's why i like Wicked- it is an old fashioned musical. I love the music of phantom and moulin rouge

josh.p.
03-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Movies would be; Grease, Moulin Rouge, or Chicago << How girly! LOL

Theatrical one would have to be Chicago or Grease, too!

josh.p.
03-02-2009, 08:03 PM

O M G

I am SO jelous!!!! I've not seen wicked but it's on the top of my list!!! I am currently THIS SHADE

Beccaberry
03-02-2009, 10:16 PM
LOL.

Trust me, I'm over the moon about it. She offered to book our seats for us as well, we'll still have to *pay* for the tickets so as not to appear inappropriate, but she can get us the best seats in the house for the regular rate...I am so excited...she just finished doing Spamalot and is now working on the set of Wicked.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - *sigh* one of my FAVORITES!

Off to check Itunes...

Taja
03-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Oooooooh! Too many favourites! :lol:

I grew up with and in musicals. Lerner & Lowe, Rodgers & Hammerstein, Rodgers & Hart, Irving Berlin, Leonard Bernstein. So most of the classic US musicals vie for top spot on my list. Which is why there is no top spot! :lol:

Johnie
03-02-2009, 11:23 PM
LOL.

Trust me, I'm over the moon about it. She offered to book our seats for us as well, we'll still have to *pay* for the tickets so as not to appear inappropriate, but she can get us the best seats in the house for the regular rate...I am so excited...she just finished doing Spamalot and is now working on the set of Wicked.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - *sigh* one of my FAVORITES!

Off to check Itunes...

:excitedbed:

I am AOK with paying for tickets!!!

Tink
04-02-2009, 01:03 AM
Do you consider Porgy and Bess a musical? I've not ever seen it but listened to the music from it growing p. My parents were very much into Broadway and musical theatre, so I listed to many of the musicals through the music, if that makes any sense. I don't much mind the music, it's just the productions that I've not much ever cared for. :sorry:

Beccaberry
04-02-2009, 01:06 AM
That's interesting, Tink...what about the productions exactly do you not care for?

Tink
04-02-2009, 01:11 AM
It bugs the daylights out of me that we are going along ever so nicely with the story and suddenly someone bursts into song. Drives me NUTS! :sorry: Except for the three I listed of course. :lol:

Opera is different. It's all in music, all lyrical, etc. It's not a mix of talking and singing... (not much talking...).

I know. I'm weird. :sigh:

Beccaberry
04-02-2009, 01:13 AM
:laugh: :laugh:

No you're not weird, but you *do* have my falling off my bed giggling right now...I don't know if it's what you said, or the fact that Jon was reading over my shoulder and shouted, "YES!! YES!! That's it exactly!!!"

Johnie
04-02-2009, 01:15 AM
It bugs the daylights out of me that we are going along ever so nicely with the story and suddenly someone bursts into song. Drives me NUTS! :sorry: Except for the three I listed of course. :lol:

Opera is different. It's all in music, all lyrical, etc. It's not a mix of talking and singing... (not much talking...).

I know. I'm weird. :sigh:

:tongue: ok Mike is the EXACT same way. He cannot stand musicals.

Where as I think it is perfectly normal to break out in song....perhaps because I do this in real life sometimes :unsure:

Tink
04-02-2009, 01:16 AM
I mean...who goes along being a tough guy hood in a leather jacket then bursts into song about some chick? HUH? Who really does that except for John Travolta in GREASE? How silly is THAT?

Or, who goes to a foreign country to teach some King's kids and suddenly starts bellowing out some goofy song? NO ONE, ok? NO ONE!

:sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

Tink
04-02-2009, 01:17 AM
When you start singing in your real life, Johnie do you communicate with that singing? I mean, do you have a number you do with your clients or something? :wink: :lol:

Johnie
04-02-2009, 01:19 AM
:tongue: I do not sing to clients. I do tell stories sometimes.

You might not want to see me over by Rock n Roller coaster cause I will belt out some Aerosmith over there :yes:

Beccaberry
04-02-2009, 01:19 AM
:lolchair:

Seriously stop, I'm gonna fall off the bed...

Tink
04-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Singing in life because you are happy is one thing, suddenly bursting into "I WANT YOUR BODY" to Mike some night is NOT reality, ya' know?

I mean, so here's Becca going on about her day, and it's now dinner, so she spins to Jon and starts crooning this little ditty about needing to have a vacay at Diznay... :rolleyes: JUST SO NOT GONNA' HAPPEN, ya' know? :rolleyes:

So like, we have a Disney Secrets musical in the works, or WHAT? :mental:

Beccaberry
04-02-2009, 01:26 AM
I see the Tony's rolling in as you speak!!!!

I need a real "flowy" dress so I can twirl around whilst I sing...and maybe a chair to flip around on...

Tink
04-02-2009, 01:28 AM
:unsure: Ummm...ok. :unsure: (Sorry, Jon). :sorry:

Johnie
04-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Singing in life because you are happy is one thing, suddenly bursting into "I WANT YOUR BODY" to Mike some night is NOT reality, ya' know?

I mean, so here's Becca going on about her day, and it's now dinner, so she spins to Jon and starts crooning this little ditty about needing to have a vacay at Diznay... :rolleyes: JUST SO NOT GONNA' HAPPEN, ya' know? :rolleyes:

So like, we have a Disney Secrets musical in the works, or WHAT? :mental:

My husband would be SUCH a happy man if I did that :hearts:

Beccaberry
04-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Um. Do you have another husband I don't know about?

Tink
04-02-2009, 01:33 AM
:tmi:

Beccaberry
04-02-2009, 01:35 AM
:laugh:

Johnie
04-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Um. Do you have another husband I don't know about?

lord no! One is PLENTY!!

Beccaberry
04-02-2009, 01:44 AM
And sometimes far, far too much....

Johnie
04-02-2009, 01:46 AM
:yes:

PsychoAlice
04-02-2009, 03:19 AM
Guys and Dolls!

Rosie0610
04-02-2009, 03:20 PM
I got obsessed with Miss Saigon in college. I'd put on the soundtrack (do they call it that for musicals?) and timed it out to where I'd have a 3 page paper done by song 5 and a 10 page paper done by the 2nd Act! I'm a bit of a nerd that way!!

I love love musicals! I was in the 'pit' for The Sound of Music in HS and also Peter Pan (although I think that one is cheesy).
SOund of Music, Miss Saigon, Les Mis, Rent, Lion King, Phantom are my favs.

Tinker
04-02-2009, 04:57 PM
How could I forget
Beauty and the Beast .

Rosie0610
04-02-2009, 06:06 PM
How could I forget
Beauty and the Beast .

I love B&B too Tinker but I always sing the songs wrong cause I sing along tot he cartoon version and the Broadway version is a bit different in some places.

Britchick
04-02-2009, 07:33 PM
we saw spamalot last spring in London- hilarious!!!

*Bambi-Belle*
05-02-2009, 03:03 AM
I love going to see musicals lol :)

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I love….

Gypsy – My wee dog is named after this musical. I wanted to be Natalie wood and a burlesque dancer when I was 10 lol :devillaugh::embarassed: probably my all time favourite.

<o:p></o:p>
Wicked

Les Misérables
Blood Brothers – I’m taking my Dad to see this in March.

Singing in the rain – I wanted to marry Gene Kelly when I was wee lol:hearts:

Half a sixpence

Finian's Rainbow
Calamity Jane
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">West Side</st1:place> Story
Guys and Dolls
Rocky Horror Picture Show – Had some of my best nights out seeing this musical lol:angel:
Buffy musical episode - lol does this count. “One more time with feeling”. It was on FX the other night.:biggrin:<o:p></o:p>

foreverducky
05-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Tink, I totally get what you are saying, it's why I don't care for musicals. I don't understand why someone would suddenly break into a song, and that those around them would also 'know' the song too....plus the dance moves. :shrug:

Slowhand
05-02-2009, 01:52 PM
OK, my DW and I are going to London in May to see a certain Eric Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall [surprise, surprise! :lol:]
Anyhow when we are in London we are undecided whether to take in Wicked or the Jersey Boys....for those who have seen both of these shows, which one would you recommend?

lisaw
05-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Tink, I totally get what you are saying, it's why I don't care for musicals. I don't understand why someone would suddenly break into a song, and that those around them would also 'know' the song too....plus the dance moves. :shrug:

See I wish life was like that - that's why I love musicals :lol:

Taja
05-02-2009, 02:34 PM
When you start singing in your real life, Johnie do you communicate with that singing? I mean, do you have a number you do with your clients or something? :wink: :lol:

Hey! We used to do that all the time! Although we would sing portions of different songs (could be any genre) to communicate. That's the danger of consorting with music students! :lol:

I tend to prefer the "contemporary" musicals, which generally are considered to begin with Lerner and Lowe's Oklahoma. When the characters break into song, the song advances the story line instead of being static.

Figment
05-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Finian's Rainbow

I've never seen all of this one for some reason, but just seeing your post reminded me of Brigadoon...LOVE Brigadoon. :love2:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

This was the first album I ever owned. I was about 10 or 11.:yes:

Buffy musical episode - lol does this count. “One more time with feeling”.

Of course it counts! We have the soundtrack in my van and all 3 of us enjoy listening to it. It's one of the few Jordan actually knows the words to most of the songs.:happybounce:

If you liked the Buffy musical, you should try
Dr. Horrible's Sing along Blog (http://drhorrible.com/). Silly concept by Joss Whedon...but some really catchy music...just like Buffy.:yes:

I am truly jealous of you Becca and Johnie! I've not seen Wicked, but I hear it's wonderful. Marcus bought me the book, but I've not read it yet. Is it at all comperable?

Britchick
05-02-2009, 06:48 PM
OK, my DW and I are going to London in May to see a certain Eric Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall [surprise, surprise! :lol:]
Anyhow when we are in London we are undecided whether to take in Wicked or the Jersey Boys....for those who have seen both of these shows, which one would you recommend?

well i haven't seen Jersey Boys but i would definitely go for Wicked :yes:

Johnie
05-02-2009, 07:15 PM
I am truly jealous of you Becca and Johnie! I've not seen Wicked, but I hear it's wonderful. Marcus bought me the book, but I've not read it yet. Is it at all comperable?

I will let you know. I have read the book but haven't seen the musical yet.

Britchick
05-02-2009, 08:54 PM
I will let you know. I have read the book but haven't seen the musical yet.

i bought the book for when we were in Thailand, i started reading it then it fell apart.

If you like disney musicals/films i guarantee you will love it.