PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever do those tie/no sew blankets?

PsychoAlice
08-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Well I just finish my first one..wow...easy peasy and I am not artsy fartsy. I did this one for my son and I am doing one for my daughter tonight or tomorrow!

both sides...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/PsychoAlice/006.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/PsychoAlice/007.jpg

Isafari
08-02-2009, 01:00 AM
wow....looks great :yes:

I've never heard of these before....what do they look like at the start? How much work goes into them?

PsychoAlice
08-02-2009, 01:12 AM
I made that one in about 2 hours..

It starts out with Fleece Material...here (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Tie-Blanket) are the instructions

Im pretty sure you can make them as small or as large as you want.

Instruction #7 is kinda weird they way the put it...but to be honest what you do in cut 4 or 5 inch squares in each corner

Taja
08-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Ooooooooh! Nice work, PA! :thumbsup:

There's something special about receiving a cozy throw made by your mother. I still have an afghan my mother crocheted for me as a high school graduation gift! It's a bit like having a special hug when you're missing her! :D

Shellyamc
08-02-2009, 02:15 AM
Wow! That came out just perfect!! Katelyn got a pillow like that when she was born and she loooooooved pulling on the little tie bits :yes:

PsychoAlice
08-02-2009, 02:20 AM
Wow! That came out just perfect!! Katelyn got a pillow like that when she was born and she loooooooved pulling on the little tie bits :yes:

Thats why it took me 2 hours instead of 1...dear god I am seriously OCD about some stuff..the panel ones (like the one I have pictured here) you reall have to watch where you are cutting (if you are doing 2 panel blankets, usually people put a solid color on the backs)to make sure you arent cutting past the border..Ill try and get my daughters done tonight and take pics to show you one without borders! Hers is going to be GORGOROUS!! I may do these for christmas next year for my family!

Ursula
08-02-2009, 08:44 AM
cool! Not ever seen those before.

PsychoAlice
08-02-2009, 02:35 PM
I finished my daughters last night! I also wrapped an older throw pillow with the left over material with the same tie technique! Geesh! Wow..Im so proud of myself!

wdwgrandma
08-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Here's one I got from my older son for Christmas a couple of years ago. He won it on an annual TV charity auction. Nathanael calls it my "guay". That is what he calls his special blanket. He'll bring it to me and say, "Here's your guay, Grandma".

PsychoAlice
08-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Here is my daughters with the pillow!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/PsychoAlice/014.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/PsychoAlice/013.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/PsychoAlice/015.jpg

I think the reason I just got so into these is because 1. its not perfect and 2. I can get it done in 1 night!

Once the cutting is done and I tie off the corners I can sit on the couch and finish tying the sides!

Johnie
08-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Never seen or heard of this but they are cute!

It looks like it may be a crafty thing that even I can do lol

PsychoAlice
08-02-2009, 04:26 PM
If I can..then you can..super super easy! Im thinking all the kids are getting one for Christmas..well we will see if I get sick of it first..

Dorothy
08-02-2009, 04:28 PM
I have been making these for years and I just love them. I just bought some fleece to make one for Zach. One side is bright red with black puppy paw prints on it and the other side is a black and red plaid.

They are super easy to make :thumbsup:

Never seen or heard of this but they are cute!

It looks like it may be a crafty thing that even I can do lol

Johnie I have 3 at my house and you must not have even noticed them :lol:

Taja
08-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Awwww! Love the Mickey blanket, Donna. :)

PA, your DD's blanket and pillow are quite elegant! :yes:

mumof2
08-02-2009, 10:54 PM
so i'm pants at instructions - is this how it goes PA?

you lay them back to back, cut both in 5 inches from the edge and just tie them together?

is that really all there is to it or have I interpreted it wrong?

PsychoAlice
08-02-2009, 11:14 PM
back to back
cut out 5 or so inch squares in each corner
cut 1 inch wide strips along each side
tie the corners first
then tie the rest

Thats it..

after you tie the corners then you can move it up to the couch and wtch a show or a movie while youre doin it...this is the easy part! Youll be done with the whole thing in about 2 hours!

Dorothy
08-02-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure if it's necessary but, I always wash mine in hot water and use a hot dryer so that any shrinkage that might happen does before they get tied together.

Beccaberry
09-02-2009, 01:12 AM
PA!!! OMG, the one you did for your daughter is GORGEOUS!!! And the pillow came out PERFECT!!!

Where did you find that fleece?

Currently, I have about 6 of these floating around my house, they are the perfect weight blanket for year round...Baleigh and I made her teacher a Yankee's one for Christmas...he was over the moon!

PsychoAlice
09-02-2009, 01:52 AM
Walmart...

mumof2
09-02-2009, 09:44 AM
back to back
cut out 5 or so inch squares in each corner
cut 1 inch wide strips along each side
tie the corners first
then tie the rest

Thats it..

after you tie the corners then you can move it up to the couch and wtch a show or a movie while youre doin it...this is the easy part! Youll be done with the whole thing in about 2 hours!

why do you have to cut out squares in the corner Sarah, do you discard the squares you've cut out? am i being dumb here - told you i'm pants! i have to see how to do thigs like this usually!

PsychoAlice
09-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Its for the corners..this confused the heck out of me too..until I did it...then it made sense!

mumof2
09-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Its for the corners..this confused the heck out of me too..until I did it...then it made sense!

so you actually cut the square and discard it? sorry - i still can't picture it! :unsure: i've been checking your pics and can't figure the corners out :sorry:

sorry to be a pain but i just thought i'd like to try some for the kiddies and young people for next christmas - i think they'd be really cool!

mumof2
09-02-2009, 11:48 AM
hang on - i think i may have it!

so you make a cut on the short edge a little way in from the corner, then you make another cut round the corner on the long edge but not so as to cut out the square but just enough to make the cuts almost meet?

PsychoAlice
09-02-2009, 12:23 PM
This is what it looks like before you start tieing them together

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/la/atla-051508-blanket02.jpg

Tink
09-02-2009, 01:53 PM
How do you keep the edges from buckling when you are tying them? :unsure:

mumof2
09-02-2009, 02:11 PM
oh excellent, i get it now - so you *do* discard the corners! thank you for posting that PA! :yes:

any chance of a step by step video guide! :lol:

PsychoAlice
09-02-2009, 06:13 PM
what do you mean buckling tink? video? have you lost your mind?

Tink
09-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Never mind. :) Dorothy answered my question for me. :D

mumof2
09-02-2009, 07:56 PM
what do you mean buckling tink? video? have you lost your mind?

yeah, a long long time ago! :yes:

loadsapixiedust
14-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Those are lovely. What sort of size are they? I will have to look out for some nice fleece material over here or that will be another caseload of stuff from Walmart crossing the Atlantic. Those would make great Christmas presents.

mumof2
14-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Those are lovely. What sort of size are they? I will have to look out for some nice fleece material over here or that will be another caseload of stuff from Walmart crossing the Atlantic. Those would make great Christmas presents.

that's what i'm thinking - christmas present for my nieces and nephews, oh and my 2 of course!

Taja
14-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Most finished throws are about 50" x 60" or so. If you buy panels (i.e., the Marines panels for PA's DS), they can vary a bit and would be based on the size of the panel. You can buy solid or print fleece off the bolt and determine the size you want or add borders to the panels--but it isn't "no-sew" if you sew on borders! :lol:

PsychoAlice
14-02-2009, 06:15 PM
the one I just made Amy is about 40 inches by 72 inches. I like my couch blankets to be extra long :dunno: I got 3 yards of each