PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! It's hailing!

Taja
09-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Temperature was in the high 80s last week and today it's cold and hailing! :eek:

Really, really weird weather!

Tink
09-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Ugh! Stay indoors! I hope your car is safe! :yes:

Johnie
09-02-2009, 06:53 PM
How big is the hail? That stuff can cause lots of damage.

The weirdest thing I ever witnessed was thunder snow. Weird.

Taja
09-02-2009, 06:59 PM
The hail is very small to pea-sized, so far. The pieces increased in size as I watched it!

My car is out in the open in the parking lot. :sigh:

:fingers: that the hail doesn't last long.

There are patches of pale blue sky surrounded by big, dark clouds. Hoping a patch of blue goes overhead soon! :lol:

Tink
09-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Oh geez. :( I hope the car comes through unscathed. :sigh:

Taja
09-02-2009, 07:09 PM
It's quit hailing for now. We still have dark clouds, but it's just rain. :thumbsup:

Tink
09-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, you certainly do need rain in Arizona! I've never been in a drier state! :eek:

Taja
09-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Yeah, we average around 8 inches of rain per year, and have been in a drought for several years. :(

Calendar year 2008 we actually were slightly above average rainfall for the year. 2009 is off to a good start--at least equal to YTD average. This is our second storm, with another one on the radar for the weekend.

Should have a good display of wildflowers this spring (March/April). AKA weeds, if they're in your garden/landscaping! :lol:

Tink
09-02-2009, 07:25 PM
With regard to location, how far is the storm (would you guess) from Chandler? That's where Herself's sister lives. :yes:

Taja
09-02-2009, 07:47 PM
It's patchy, Tink. Patches of blue sky, patches of fluffy clouds, patches of dark clouds. What's happening here probably isn't happening a mile or so away. :unsure:

The storm is blowing in from the west, so it's moving toward the SE valley, which is where Chandler is located. They do tend to have a bit more rainfall than we do in the NE valley--they still have more open land.

It doesn't seem to be a particularly damaging storm at this point--just colder. And the hail completely surprised me!

Tink
09-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Yes, there did seem to be quite a bit of open land out their way. Thanks for the info. Just curious, mostly. I know how weather can be. I've actually had it raining at the front of my house with no rain and the sun shining at the back. And nope, I don't live in a big house! LOL!