PDA

View Full Version : TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINK!!!! Lookie!!!

Beccaberry
10-02-2009, 02:11 AM
I thought of you Saturday!! The "after party" for the polar plunge was held at the Gaelic American Club....very quaint and cozy....we wandered into one of the adjoining rooms for a bit of peace and quiet and discovered a very lovely fire place...you'll know right away why I thought of you :D

Johnie
10-02-2009, 02:13 AM
So how long did Jon spend cozying up to that fire? :tongue:

Beccaberry
10-02-2009, 02:15 AM
We snuggled up there for quite some time actually...until he could finally feel his toes :D

Johnie
10-02-2009, 02:21 AM
The important question now.....is there Guinness on tap?

Beccaberry
10-02-2009, 02:22 AM
Indeed there was!!! Nice dark, "fleshy" Guinness :yes:

And Bass and Harp :D

And Smithwicks (which apparently isn't pronounced *anything* like it is spelled)

Johnie
10-02-2009, 02:24 AM
really? Is it anything like Worcestshire being pronounced Wooster? :tongue:

Beccaberry
10-02-2009, 02:26 AM
Jon says, "Smiticks"

I rolled my eyes and had a martini :wink:

keith
10-02-2009, 02:27 AM
hmmmm that does look very inviting I must admit

Johnie
10-02-2009, 02:28 AM
Jon says, "Smiticks"

I rolled my eyes and had a martini :wink:

:tongue: can't say I blame you.

Beccaberry
10-02-2009, 02:28 AM
It was truly lovely...what you can't see is the nice, fat leather sofas that were just in front of it...very cozy!

Tink
10-02-2009, 03:06 AM
"Smiddicks." :yes:

I love the inscription, but you knew I would! :D :D Beautiful fire! Don't you just love stone fireplaces? :yes:

Beccaberry
10-02-2009, 03:13 AM
YES!! That's how he said it!! I told him I thought some of Long Island Sound had leaked into his brain :wink:

I knew you would! I did. :yes:

I do love stone fireworks, that's one of the top things on our list for improvements around our new home...replace the bricks on our fireplace with fieldstone....I love the way it looks...

Tink
10-02-2009, 03:30 AM
One of the many things I love about Ireland are the many fieldstone walls/fences that adorn the land. :sigh:

Smiddicks is good, by the way. :yes: So is Bass. And Boddington's. :yes: :D :D

Johnie
10-02-2009, 03:32 AM
My favorite houses have the stone work.

Deb
10-02-2009, 07:09 AM
Ooooo, doesn't that look cosy and romantic? :D

And of course it would've reminded me of Tink straight away too...strange how anything traditionally Irish reminds me of a lady across the pond in Orlando :shrug::biggrin:

I had to look up what you meant by fieldstone...it's the smaller uneven stones round the fireplace rather that the stone the lintel is made of, right?

Ursula
10-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Ha I have had alot of fun watching and listening to DH trying to pronounce the names of our cities... Wooster is one he couldn't get and Norwich... he kept saying Norwick and I have taught him it's pronounced Norridge as in porridge.... lol...

Disneybumble
10-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Guinness should be up there with Marmite. Tis nasty stuff. Come to think of it l dislike most commonly known irish foods. Soda bread, Guinness , Black and white pudding. .........................oh l do like potatoes and cabbage and irish toffee.
Sorry Tink
I also have the irish ability to drink far to much and not suffer a hangover. Which in sincere truth is not a good thing as l always remember what i did do the night before.

Tink
10-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Well now Siobhan, we've all our own tastes, right? :D I must say, I can't agree with you on the Guinness, or the black pudding. :D I've even had a couple of versions of soda bread that I liked. :D

Herself has that very same ability! :yes: I missed that gene... :( :lol:

Yes Deb, fieldstone is the decorative front of the fireplace. It used to come from the fields (cleared by farmers so they could plow) hence the name. There is river rock and river stones too. :yes: Different sizes...

We do love our Irish! :yes: :D

lisaw
10-02-2009, 11:57 AM
It looks lovely - I had to look up what the inscription meant but once you know it's obvious really :D

Tink
10-02-2009, 12:01 PM
We have a small stone (slate actually, thin and rectangular) with this inscription hanging in the entry of our front door. :yes:

MystikPiglit
10-02-2009, 12:05 PM
he couldn't get and Norwich... he kept saying Norwick and I have taught him it's pronounced Norridge as in porridge.... lol...

That would be Nor-itch.. :D

Tink
10-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Norwich... here it is pronounced, Norrrr witch. :yes: So, depending upon where you are from in the UK, drives the pronounciation? Same here.

Grennitch for Greenwich if you are meaning the Village in NYC area. I've heard it pronounced Green WITCH (makes me shudder every time LOL) for other places of the same name.

Houston is another. :D :D I'll say (in true New Yorker fashion) HOUSEtun...as in South of Houston Street (SoHo, a well known district in NYC). Our Becca on the other hand :D will say HUESton... the Texas way. :D

Worcester in Mass, is Wusstah... :D It's the elided r as the order of the day there. :yes: Mass accents are as distinctive as those of the deep south, as are Brooklyn, Bronx, and New Orleans accents. :D

One of the funniest conversations I ever listened to was between two acquaintances. One was from Boston (heavy accent going on there) and one was from the bayous in Louisiana. Too wicked funny! :lol:

Beccaberry
10-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Houston is another. :D :D I'll say (in true New Yorker fashion) HOUSEtun...as in South of Houston Street (SoHo, a well known district in NYC). Our Becca on the other hand :D will say HUESton... the Texas way. :D

:D Indeed! Now I toggle between the two depending on where I am at the time...Not sure who would be quickest to :slap: me if I misspoke :D

Tink
10-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Oh trust me on this one. Those Texas folks do NOT like the HOUSEtun version TAH'T'ALL!!!! :eek: :laugh:

Beccaberry
10-02-2009, 02:22 PM
You know...I've come to learn they don't like ANYTHING done ANY other way but THEIRS! :D

Taja
10-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Ooooooh! That fireplace looks nice and cozy! Glad you had the opportunity to enjoy it in person! :)

Disneybumble
10-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Oh just thought of something l have had in Ireland that l will never taste again. Potcheen
, lethal stuff. I will never have it again as it was the pure home made stuff made by my Fathers uncle. Crikey that gave me hairs on my chest. Or as the irish would say "I wouldn't chance me arm on having another one"

Tinker
10-02-2009, 04:07 PM
The fireplace is gorgeous . Glad you two had a nice cozy & warm place to relax .

Tink
10-02-2009, 05:01 PM
I've tasted similar in the mountains of Kentucky, Siobhan! :eek: They call it moonshine, or white lightning. I'm sure it's the reason my tooth enamel was dissolved. :eek:

Beccaberry
10-02-2009, 05:48 PM
:laugh:

Ursula
11-02-2009, 02:33 PM
When I was learning sign language I was most amused to find that they even have accents in signing. Weird but true!

Tink
11-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Oh yes! Colloquial signs and the like. :yes: