PDA

View Full Version : Gardisil vaccine

Johnie
12-02-2009, 01:12 AM
My mother called and has absolutely scared me to death.

Apparently there have been a number of deaths associated with this vaccination. Do you guys know what this is? It's the cervical cancer vaccination targeted at teenaged girls.

Alysia has had this series of shots in 2008. Her last shot was in June. I've been trying to do some research but really am not processing much clearly at the moment due to panic. Her PCP really pushed getting the shots. It has been heavily marketed and apparently aggressively pushed but apparently it is not fully tested till sometime this year!

I feel so stupid. I truly didn't do a lot of research. I read the marketing materials and trusted the doctor.

Thanks for listening. I'm off to do more research and praying that my child doesn't die.

SleepinCatz
12-02-2009, 01:26 AM
please don't feel stupid.....There is no "how to" manual for how and what we do for and with our kids. You may find pre existing conditions that she does not have...it could be your mom saw one article with a few linked and panic set in...blew up the article and she called. Take a deep breath....

Johnie
12-02-2009, 01:28 AM
Mom saw something on the news about 29 deaths being related to it. Enough information to make me freak out :sorry:

Tinker
12-02-2009, 01:31 AM
ooooo, I can see why you'd be concerned . :hug2:

SleepinCatz
12-02-2009, 01:32 AM
then we look it up and see what is what. Huge hugs darlin...it will be alright.

Johnie
12-02-2009, 01:34 AM
:hug2: thanks hon. I am trying to not freak out. From what I am reading so far, it seems that those who have died did so very close to the injection. I'm hoping we are in a safe zone now.

You know, I read all this stuff now about people not vaccinating their babies because they think it can cause autism. I never even questioned having Alysia vaccinated as a baby. Now, I don't have any idea whether the two are related. i wonder if I would more vigilant if I was a new mom now?

SleepinCatz
12-02-2009, 01:36 AM
ok so far the 3 articles I have found say the girls died within 24 to 48 hours after the first dose. I'm not finding anything on anyone passing away after this long.

SleepinCatz
12-02-2009, 01:44 AM
I'm still not finding anything beyound the first few days after the initial injection. But if you are still worried have her checked out. It couldn't hurt :)

Johnie
12-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Thanks for looking. So far, I am finding the same results.

SleepinCatz
12-02-2009, 01:46 AM
that's what friends do :)

PsychoAlice
12-02-2009, 02:12 AM
This (http://www.newsrecord.org/sections/college_living/1.1359005-1.1359005) came out on Wednesday

Johnie
12-02-2009, 02:16 AM
oh dear God, Guillien-Barre Syndrome is horrible!!

Tink
12-02-2009, 02:17 AM
On the same topic, newly released information supports that the research doc leading the vaccinations/autism studies falsified data. There is much less (none?) correlation between vaccines and autism than these studies once suggested.

She is fine, Johnie. As a dear friend of mine used to day, "Fret not."

Johnie
12-02-2009, 02:18 AM
Intellectually, I know she is probably fine.

Emotionally, mommies worry.

Tink
12-02-2009, 02:20 AM
Hey, you are talking to me. I can find a way to worry about anything. No explanation necessary.

Johnie
12-02-2009, 02:26 AM
We, ok well just me apparently, had a military scare this past week. She took the military test and scored extremely well. All branches of the military are beating down our door. This mommy was not happy. I think we are past the allure again (this was a huge issue when she was in the 9th grade too).

She wants to serve her country in some way. I am very proud of that but I feel there are many ways to do that without the military. So we are looking at options.....

Shellyamc
12-02-2009, 02:36 AM
This is so scary. I'm sorry that all this is just coming out now :hug2:

With the food that isn't safe being sent out into the market anyway, and medication that isn't fully tested being given to children it makes me wonder what in the H**l our government is doing :thumbsdown:

Johnie
12-02-2009, 02:39 AM
Printing money to bail companies out :thumbsdown:

Shellyamc
12-02-2009, 02:50 AM
Printing money to bail companies out :thumbsdown:

No kidding!! I am so fed up right now it isn't even funny :slap:

Tink
12-02-2009, 03:21 AM
The military (some branches anyway) can be a really viable option for someone to gain some excellent experience and earn credits toward a college education (if not have it paid for outright). It can also lead to having the edge for employment in the civilian world. There are short tours allowed now too, so enlisting people don't have to sign up for years like they once had to.

I only say this because I've seen the results (in our own family, I mean) of what can happen when a parent completely opposes a child's choice of direction. Be very careful that it doesn't backfire on you in unexpected ways. :(

Shellyamc, I'm right there with you. :hug2:

Johnie
12-02-2009, 03:28 AM
Oh no, I never forbid anything. I know how the teen mind thinks. You forbid it, they go and do it. I've had my mother talk to her about the lying that the recruiters do.

I completely agree that the military is a wonderful option for some people.

Dawn
12-02-2009, 07:54 AM
What happened to being a cosmetologist at Disney then? :unsure:

By the way - she's fine. :hug2:

Disneybumble
12-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Johnie:hug2:. My DD Zoe has had 2 shots already and is expected to have her 3rd in May. This was not an easy decision to make but l have to say Dr Skywatcher gave me some valuable advice.
In the UK we have a minor celeb going through a very aggressive cervical cancer and unfortunately is doesn't look like she will make it. This celeb is 27 and to know that l am giving my DD some protection against this is such good news.
The stats that you are reading, you know behind these deaths of these girls there will be other health issues.
Hey l am not saying don't worry because l am right up there with you.:hug2:
Don't know if l am being helpful Johnie but just wanted to say l feel it because it worries me to , and in 10 years time they will say those shots were bad. But i have to live today and see Zoe is healthy and l would go insane if she hadn't of had these shots and then the worse did happen.

Tink
12-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Whew! That is the absolute truth, Johnie. Recruiters are masters at misrepresentation. :(

Siobhan. :hug2:

Johnie
12-02-2009, 01:53 PM
What happened to being a cosmetologist at Disney then? :unsure:

By the way - she's fine. :hug2:

That is back on :yes: She seemed to be having a mid life crisis at 17. There was the military thing. Then she decided she wanted to work with the elderly due to job security.

Thank you Siobhan :hug2:

Rosie0610
12-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Just wanted to pass on some :hug2: for you Johnie.

It's not a mid-life crisis, it's just a "wow, I'm an adult" crisis!

Tink
12-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Being a cosmetologist and obtaining a license to work in nursing homes and other licensed settings (assisted living, etc.) is very lucrative. She could then do both, have job security and work with the elderly. She would NOT be up on the most recent hair styles though! :D Not disparaging our elders but they have very definite opinions on what constitutes a visit to the "hair dresser." :D

Johnie
12-02-2009, 02:27 PM
You might be right about that Rosie!

Shellyamc
12-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Being a cosmetologist and obtaining a license to work in nursing homes and other licensed settings (assisted living, etc.) is very lucrative. She could then do both, have job security and work with the elderly. She would NOT be up on the most recent hair styles though! :D Not disparaging our elders but they have very definite opinions on what constitutes a visit to the "hair dresser." :D

:yes: This is very true. My Aunt is a hair dresser with a small shop out of her home. She goes 3 days a week and does hair for the elderly and home-bound in her area and she has more people than she can handle. She always has appointments and does a really good business.

Tink
12-02-2009, 02:43 PM
It takes a special person to do that, Shellyamc. Both work with the elderly and do home visits for hair. It's hard work.

Taja
12-02-2009, 03:03 PM
We, ok well just me apparently, had a military scare this past week. She took the military test and scored extremely well. All branches of the military are beating down our door. This mommy was not happy. I think we are past the allure again (this was a huge issue when she was in the 9th grade too).

She wants to serve her country in some way. I am very proud of that but I feel there are many ways to do that without the military. So we are looking at options.....

Peace Corps? Or something along those lines. There also are community service options geared toward the inner city.

Glad you're supporting her voyage of discovery, Johnie--even if she gives you momentary heart failure occasionally! Having your mother available for the military information is far more valuable than you nagging--ummmmm...vehemently discussing--that option with her. :)

And even happier that she's back to thinking about civilian alternatives! :lol:

PsychoAlice
12-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Remind me not to tell you all that my son is joining the Marines....

Johnie
12-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Now Sarah, the military is a great option for many, many people. I just don't want my daughter going because I am selfish and will be a total basketcase the entire time she is there. There is a reason I never dated anyone in the military.

We're actually looking at thing called www.cityyear.org It's 10 months, they get $200 a week, almost $5K for education when they complete it, a metro card if they are in a city with public transportation.

I looked up the info for the Peace Corps and I swear I want to do it myself!

I did tell her if she truly wanted job security then she should go do hair and makeup for the recently deceased. She wasn't keen on that idea.

mainecoon lover
12-02-2009, 06:50 PM
I feel so stupid. I truly didn't do a lot of research. I read the marketing materials and trusted the doctor.

Hun you have done nothing more than any of us parents would do. I was only kicking myself last week for not doing a through search on the internet for VNS, if i had she would never of had the surgery to start with. We are all brought up to believe that doctors and these drug companies are telling us the whole truth. I hope all is ok and i am sure it would of happend around the time of the injections. :hug2:

PsychoAlice
12-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Now Sarah, the military is a great option for many, many people. I just don't want my daughter going because I am selfish and will be a total basketcase the entire time she is there. There is a reason I never dated anyone in the military.

We're actually looking at thing called www.cityyear.org It's 10 months, they get $200 a week, almost $5K for education when they complete it, a metro card if they are in a city with public transportation.

I looked up the info for the Peace Corps and I swear I want to do it myself!

I did tell her if she truly wanted job security then she should go do hair and makeup for the recently deceased. She wasn't keen on that idea.

I know that you know that my son is going in...and you know how i feel. I understand your selfishness. I want to feel that way. but I taught this kid how to be independent (not that you havent ... I know differently) and to do his own thing. How can I not be anything other than supportive of his decission? This is the same kid who wanted nothing to do with the military just a few short years ago. After everything we have been thru I really didnt blame him. We even signed papers that said that the military can not get in touch with him. This was his decission. He did not have any outside voices saying he should. He knows what its about. he knows what is expected and that some of the things the recruiters are saying is BS. But he still wants to go. He wants to go and do what is right for his country.

But of course Im the type of person who thinks that all people should serve in some sort of military for 3 years. If it being the AF, Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Gaurd, Peace Corps.

About the hair and make up for the recently deceased..when I was a cosmetologist I tried that...I just couldnt do it...it freaked me out. It takes a special kind of person for that :unsure:

Johnie
12-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I beleive that everyone should serve their country in some way too :yes: I just think there are lots of other ways to do it as well.

Alysia agreed with you about the recently deceased!

Dorothy
12-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Another very lucretive part of cosmetologist of learning to help cover up scars, burns, etc. I have a friend who wants to get into this and it's because a friend of hers had a son come home from Iraq with the most awful bomb scars on his face that makeup would cover up.

Johnie
12-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Yep, I've told her she could make lots of money with people with disfigurements.

There is a hair salon sort of place down at the teaching hospital that caters to people who have lost hair, eyebrows, lashes to chemo. I told her she should look into that as well.