PDA

View Full Version : A charcoal canister

Johnie
12-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Does anyone know what this is? Apparently it is a part of my car that needs to be replaced.......part of the emissions system it seems.

Anyone car to venture how much this little beauty costs to replace?

$575!!! :lalala:

I wonder if I could just shove a charcoal briquette up there instead?

mainecoon lover
12-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Its a catalytic converter which is a filter filled with catalysts which react with the exhaust fumes and neutrallise them.

Johnie
12-02-2009, 08:16 PM
I just googled it and it seems to quite a common problem with Toyotas.

Of course it's part of the catalytic converter. I had a Ford once that had THREE catalytic converters on it and they all needed to be replaced. That was one expensive repair bill!!!

PsychoAlice
12-02-2009, 10:40 PM
You really just have a Jack Daniels distillery in there....

Johnie
13-02-2009, 02:01 AM
ok seriously.....do you have any idea how long it took me to get that comment? I finally get it and it's funny :thumbsup:

Beccaberry
13-02-2009, 02:39 AM
OUCH!!! That's a lot of moolah :comfort:

Johnie
13-02-2009, 02:40 AM
and apaprently the only thing this is good for is gas mileage.

Did you get PA's comment? Or am I the only one having a blonde moment? :unsure:

PsychoAlice
13-02-2009, 05:34 AM
LMAO...well at least you got it and thats all that matters...confusion and mayhem rule...my job is done here...

uscwest
13-02-2009, 09:48 AM
How old is your car Johnie and how many miles do you have on it?

candyman
13-02-2009, 10:39 AM
sorry to jump your thread johnie but i have just had my van serviced , it is 4 years old now and i needed my first set of replacement window wipers thanks good ness they last 4 years cause a set of 3 , 2 front 1 rear , cost a staggering 50 -not fitted just the wipers flipping heck
steve

oops forgot to say it is a mercedes and the only ones that fit are genuine parts .

Johnie
13-02-2009, 02:52 PM
It's a 2005 and about 110,000 miles on it.

Taja
13-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Does anyone know what this is? Apparently it is a part of my car that needs to be replaced.......part of the emissions system it seems.

Anyone car to venture how much this little beauty costs to replace?

$575!!! :lalala:

I wonder if I could just shove a charcoal briquette up there instead?

I had to replace the catalytic converter on my father's 1986 Taurus. Took it into the dealer and they said $475 to $500. Took it in for the actual appointment and they came back and said it would be $1200. Ford no longer made/stocked the part and they had to have it custom made.

Took it to my mechanic and he fabricated it and installed it for $600! :)

sorry to jump your thread johnie but i have just had my van serviced , it is 4 years old now and i needed my first set of replacement window wipers thanks good ness they last 4 years cause a set of 3 , 2 front 1 rear , cost a staggering 50 -not fitted just the wipers flipping heck
steve

oops forgot to say it is a mercedes and the only ones that fit are genuine parts .

Be thankful you don't live in the desert, Steve. We're lucky if we get more than one year out of window wipers. :sigh: That's now about $40 per year for my Toyota. When did windshield wipers become so expensive? I remember buying them for about $10 in 2004 for the same car! :eek: