View Full Version : A few questions about american drinks

disney1sttimer
14-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Ive always wondered what are the following things

root beer
ice tea
dr pepper
kool aid

These are ones I see in films but dont think we have here. Are there any other classic drinks I should try whilst out there?

Britchick
14-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Ive always wondered what are the following things

root beer
ice tea
dr pepper
kool aid

These are ones I see in films but dont think we have here. Are there any other classic drinks I should try whilst out there?

root beer tastes like germolene/ wintergreen chewing gum :eew:

ice tea is just like cold tea with ice in it- can be sweetened or unsweetened- not my cup of tea lol although some of the flavoured ones are nice.

dr pepper is a bit like cherry coke imo

and kool aid is a powder that you mix with water - you get it in all different flavours.

Taja
14-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Glad you were able to make the comparisons, Julie!

By the way, Kool-Aid is a children's drink, although I'm sure some adults drink it as well. I didn't care for it as a child, and I don't like it any better as an adult! :lol:

It's available in presweetened or unsweetened (you add sugar) packets that are mixed with water (usually one or two quarts--not sure of the size these days). There are tons of flavours, none of which taste good to me. But if you're staying some place where it makes sense to make some, try it and decide for yourself! :D

Edited to add:

Kool-Aid is a grocery item, so it's available in stores such as Publix or the grocery section of Super Target or WalMart Supercenters.

Iced/cold tea is available in restaurants (some counter service, but not sure within WDW) and bottled in stores.

Root beer (also called sasparilla, if you dine at LTT) and Dr. Pepper are carbonated beverages available at soda fountains, in cans and bottles of varying sizes. It's hard to find root beer (there are many different brands) at WDW, although many of the TS restaurants seem to have it. Not sure about Dr. Pepper--it tastes like a nasty cough syrup I had to take as a child, so I never pay any attention to it. However, many people (including Leu's DD) enjoy it, so don't take my word for it! :lol:

Dawn
14-02-2009, 02:47 PM
DR PEPPER IS NOTHING LIKE CHERRY COKE!!!! :eek: :mental:

Oops sorry having a Cherry Coke moment. :D

I love root beer - it's one of the things I look forward to on Florida trips - the stuff we have here just doesn't cut it. It is an acquired taste though I think. I was gutted when MacDonalds stopped selling it over here - only reason I'd go in there. :sigh:

Try Mountain Dew too if you want a serious fix of additives. :lol:

Taja
14-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Ohhhh, yeah! Mountain Dew can have you bouncing off the ceiling! :lol: I know many people who drink it for the mid-afternoon doldrums!

McDonald's in the US hasn't served root beer for many years. There may be the odd franchise location that sells it, but it isn't part of the official menu. Ditto for most of the other franchise quick service places. :sigh: Although In-N-Out Burger does sell it. I usually have one every month during hot weather! :rolleyes:

Good for me, actually. I don't drink it very often! :lol:

Britchick
14-02-2009, 03:09 PM
DR PEPPER IS NOTHING LIKE CHERRY COKE!!!! :eek: :mental:

Oops sorry having a Cherry Coke moment. :D

i think it tastes a bit like it :sorry:

mumof2
14-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Dawn

there's a shop in town down the road where the side entrance of woolies used to be, it's sells Japanese stuff if i remember correctly - they sell mountain dew!

Dawn
14-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Cool! I'll pop in there next time I need to go :mental:

PsychoAlice
14-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Although In-N-Out Burger does sell it.

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY did you have to do that? You know I have to drive 200 miles for IN-N-OUT

:cry2:

Britchick
14-02-2009, 06:26 PM
we went to this chain when we were staying in the arm pit of Oklahoma!

http://www.awrestaurants.com/

PsychoAlice
14-02-2009, 06:29 PM
A&W root beer is THE best

Ursula
14-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Sainsburys here sells root beer, Dr Pepper and iced tea. When in Florida I have to ask for the raspberry iced tea because the regular stuff is not sweet and tastes vile.... but if you buy the iced tea in a supermarket it is usually sweet and tastes delish very very cold. Code Red Mountain Dew is my favourite... they also sell alot of grape flavoured drinks there that we don't have here...different. I think Dr Pepper tastes like marzipan., almond.

Believe me you will be so dazzled by the different kinds of drinks on display.... even those Capri Suns come in flavours we haven't heard of here! Confused?.... You will be!

foreverducky
14-02-2009, 07:14 PM
I love sun tea, it's just the best.

PsychoAlice
14-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Sweet tea for me!

Im a southern girl if only by heart...

Figment
14-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Our McDonalds still sells rootbeer as do several other chains near us. We also still have a drive in *Rootbeer Stand* that is locally owned. It must just be a regional thing.

Tink
14-02-2009, 11:30 PM
THE best rootbeer is IBC! :yes: There is a local brewery near Shellyamc that makes 1886 (or 1876?) Tavern rootbeer. It's quite good too. Most rootbeers do not have caffeine which makes them a favorite for children. Barqs has caffeine though, so beware.

Mountain Dew is vile stuff. :eek: Loads of caffeine and icky yellow color.

Dr. Pepper tastes like no other, sorry! :D It's a Pepsi product so you won't find it at WDW. I will drink a diet Dr. Pepper once in awhile. :yes:

Koolaid is nasty. :( It's loaded with sugar (either off the shelf, or you add it) and chemical dyes. :nono:

Iced tea is a love or hate thing, for the British. :yes: Our Wendy despises it! :D I don't like it with sugar, but I do like it with mint.

There are loads of bottled soft drinks here, most of which are seriously not good for you. :sigh:

PsychoAlice
15-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Mmmm Mint Iced tea from Morrocco....

Johnie
15-02-2009, 12:45 AM
Actually, it depends on what part of the country it is bottled in....Dr Pepper can be bottled by Coke or Pepsi. And cherry coke is nothing like Dr Pepper! Dr Pepper is sort of spicy and oh soooo good.

Mt. Dew actually makes me sorta ill. Too much caffeine.

Stewarts makes the best root bear IMO.

Johnie
15-02-2009, 12:47 AM
oh! Tea.....

sweet tea is a southern thing. For some reason you are not going to find it in FL with the exception of McDonalds and Chick Filet. Sweet tea is made by boiling the tea and adding a ton of sugar while the tea is stil hot (only way to dissolve all the sugar). Then you chill it. I like my sweet tea with lemon.

Unsweet tea is well unsweetened and vile. YOu have to add sugar or whatever you use to it.

Dorothy
15-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Our McDonalds has root beer too so maybe it's a midwest thing. We have these drive in places called Dog N Suds which has nasty greasy food, but the best root beer around :D

Ursula
15-02-2009, 09:00 AM
I think that name alone would put me right off... Dog and suds??????????? WTHeck?

Ursula
15-02-2009, 09:02 AM
oh! Tea.....

sweet tea is a southern thing. For some reason you are not going to find it in FL with the exception of McDonalds and Chick Filet. Sweet tea is made by boiling the tea and adding a ton of sugar while the tea is stil hot (only way to dissolve all the sugar). Then you chill it. I like my sweet tea with lemon.

Unsweet tea is well unsweetened and vile. YOu have to add sugar or whatever you use to it.

See in Michigan when you ask for iced tea it comes sweet and tastes nice but in Florida it came unsweetened and like you said it was vile... the only way I could get it sweet was to ask for raspberry iced tea and if they had it it was good but not alot of places knew what I was talking about.

PsychoAlice
15-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Come to Colorado Helly...when you ask for sweet tea here (and there are some places that have it) there are MANY places that look at you all crazy like and say "you mean like raspberry tea?"

If you have to ask it isnt sweet tea....

catrancher
15-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Sweet tea is made by boiling the tea and adding a ton of sugar while the tea is stil hot (only way to dissolve all the sugar). Then you chill it.

You forgot to tell them the Southern method for determining when you've added enough sugar.

When the spoon you're using to stir the tea will stand up by itself in the middle of the pot, then you've got enough sugar! :stirthepot:

Tom (it's the only recipe he knows!)

Dorothy
15-02-2009, 03:37 PM
I think that name alone would put me right off... Dog and suds??????????? WTHeck?

Here hun, check them out http://www.dognsudsbrand.com/otherlinks.htm

Dawn
15-02-2009, 05:57 PM
I only drink ice tea with loads of lemon juice squeezed into it.

PsychoAlice
15-02-2009, 06:04 PM
I drink long island ice tea...

foreverducky
15-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Now, I'm a Diet Coke girl allllll the way, but honestly is there any better than a good ice tea?! But I'm picky, it has to be made just right and with the right amount of sugar. :D

My parents put out the jar to make sun tea in the summer. We use to put 5 tea bags with those big glass jars and then take it in, in the evening and add a cup of sugar....then place the refrigerator until cold. Yummmmmm

Taja
16-02-2009, 12:50 AM
WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY did you have to do that? You know I have to drive 200 miles for IN-N-OUT

:cry2:

:oops: Sorry! I never really liked In-N-Out when I lived in California and hadn't been near one for twenty years until they began opening in the Valley of the Sun. Still don't love their food--occasionally enjoy their fries, but not very often--but they're one of my few sources of fountain root beer! :lol:

we went to this chain when we were staying in the arm pit of Oklahoma!

http://www.awrestaurants.com/

Draft A&W root beer is the best! They don't do free refills, though, so it's a special treat! :D

PsychoAlice
16-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Ill trade you my A&W with free refills for your IN-N-OUT

Taja
16-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Ill trade you my A&W with free refills for your IN-N-OUT

:lol:

You'll have to start a campaign to get one in your area!

We went from none to way too many in about five years! :rolleyes:

Johnie
16-02-2009, 01:57 AM
I have an A&W down the street....they have free refills and frosty mugs.

Tink
16-02-2009, 04:24 AM
Huh. I've never seen Dr. Pepper bottled by Coke.

There is an AW Drive-In (yep, the real kind) in Clermont. Unfortunately, it's nasty (food wise) but they do excellent rootbeer floats! :yes: We only went there twice though, so maybe the food has improved.

Taja
16-02-2009, 02:33 PM
I have an A&W down the street....they have free refills and frosty mugs.

Lucky you! The ones in the Valley offer free refills of the fountain drinks, but not the draft root beer, which is much stronger and not as sweet. Actually, that's good for me, as I don't indulge very often! :lol:

Shellyamc
16-02-2009, 03:12 PM
THE best rootbeer is IBC! :yes: There is a local brewery near Shellyamc that makes 1886 (or 1876?) Tavern rootbeer. It's quite good too. Most rootbeers do not have caffeine which makes them a favorite for children. Barqs has caffeine though, so beware.

You are so very right! IBC does have the best rootbeer :yes: Dh LIVES for their Black cherry soda! It is a special treat around here.

Britchick
16-02-2009, 06:41 PM
I drink long island ice tea...

so do i ..............yummy

wdwgrandma
16-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I used to have a dog named Skipper (half Poodle, half Spitz). He'd go nuts every time we passed the A&W! He loved the burgers there (catsup, mustard, pickles - no tomato or onion)!!! The carhops would recognize my car and were quick to bring our order, fussing over Skipper. If I didn't have enough money to stop, I'd have to take a different route around it. I loved their frosty mugs of root beer.

Johnie
16-02-2009, 10:04 PM
just some pop info

from www.marketingshift.com
To all of you Dr. Pepper fans out there- I wonder if you can tell me which company owns Dr Pepper?

Is it Pepsi, or Coke?

If you said Coke, you'd be wrong

If you said Pepsi, you'd also be wrong.

Ever wonder why Dr Pepper shows up in both vending machines? The answer is simple- Dr. Pepper-Snapple Group (NYSE: DPS) makes Dr. Pepper, along with other drinks you may be familiar with, like 7UP, Mott’s, A&W, Sunkist Soda, Canada Dry, Hawaiian Punch, Schweppes, Peñafiel, Squirt, Clamato, Mr & Mrs T Mixers, Rose’s, Yoo-hoo and others.
DPS runs 24 manufacturing centers, with more than 200 distribution centers and employs 20,000 workers across North America-which distribute approximately half of the volume. Coca-Cola (NYSE:KO) , Pepsi (NYSE:PEP) and independent third-party/licensed bottlers distribute the rest.Coke makes Pibb Xtra (formerly known as Mr. Pibb), which was created in 1972 to compete with Dr. Pepper.

PsychoAlice
17-02-2009, 12:17 AM
I prefer Mr Pibb over Dr Pepper...

And my mom used to be the snapple lady here in town!

Tink
17-02-2009, 02:10 AM
Cool info Johnie. :yes:

Yoohoo and clamato are some of the nastiest drinks going! :blech: