PDA

View Full Version : Weird wedding gifts

Johnie
24-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Doesn't this make you want to run right out and get married (again)? :unsure:

Recently married couples on TheKnot.com share some wedding gifts that left them scratching their heads. From vegetables to bounced checks to fake vomit these presents remind us that it's often best to stick with the registry.

Think you've gotten some strange gifts in the past? No number of hand-knit sweaters from estranged aunts can match the weirdness of the wedding gifts these couples received from their guests.

Monetary Oddities

"$10 in scratch tickets."
"$100 worth of quarters."
"A graduation card with $7."
"A hundred $1 bills rolled up in a rubber band."
"Boxers with money in them."
"Two cents and a nasty note inside a card."
"A check from my husband's friend, and in the 'for' line, it said 'vasectomy.'"
"A check that bounced."

Obscure Decor

"Broken fake-marble horse head bookends."
"'Rosie the Riveter' bookends."
"Moosehead bookends."
"Zebra shower curtain."
"A crystal block with a face in the middle."

Weird ... but Useful

"A hurricane evacuation backpack full of MREs (meals ready to eat), first-aid kit, ponchos, etc."
"A pink can opener with the word 'love' on it."
"A used walking cane."
"Asparagus."
"24 double rolls of toilet paper."
"Dental floss."
"Octopus-shaped baster."
"A high-heeled shoe cake server."
"A magnifying glass."

Weird ... and Useless

"Dog shock collar we don't have a dog."
"Pirate flip-flops."
"A 3-ft. SpongeBob SquarePants pirate doll."
"Autographed picture of Bret Michaels."
"Bronze kangaroo."
"Fake vomit."
"A cat suit."
"A picture frame with the wrong initials on it."

Kind of Creepy Gifts

"A bronze bust of myself."
"A book that a friend of mine had written and dedicated to me alone, not my husband (he apparently has a large crush on me) ... very stalker-ish."
"Toilet paper with writing on first few sheets."
"A birthing video from a professional midwife! Ew!"

Britchick
24-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Weird ... and Useless

""A cat suit."

useless? :unsure: :lol:

Johnie
24-02-2009, 07:03 PM
:tongue: I didn't write the article!

Britchick
24-02-2009, 07:04 PM
sorry Johnie it just stuck out like a sore thumb :point:

Johnie
24-02-2009, 07:05 PM
maybe they mean an actual suit for a cat :unsure:

Tinker
24-02-2009, 07:07 PM
A magnifying glass ! Oh I could say omething, but I'm running away . They were Great, Johnie .

Tinker
24-02-2009, 07:08 PM
maybe they mean an actual suit for a cat :unsure: I had build a bear PJ's on Binx the other night . So, could be a cat suit .

Britchick
24-02-2009, 07:11 PM
like this?

http://www.groovycatsanddogs.com/view.asp?prid=375

Johnie
24-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Oh my....my Moxie needs that puss in boots costume. However, I would be shredded in a million pieces if I ever tried to clothe any of the cats :nono:

Tinker
24-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Oh, he was not happy !!! TG, he is declawed in the front . He looked cute and my camera battery was dead .

lisaw
24-02-2009, 07:36 PM
My Doodle needs a hoodie! I am not allowed though :sigh:

For our engagement we got a balloon full of 1 Marks and Spencer vouchers from our work - they burst it over our heads at our party - I hit the floor to make sure I got them all :lol:

Britchick
24-02-2009, 07:47 PM

Jon is mean too :sorry::yes:

mumof2
24-02-2009, 07:51 PM

For our engagement we got a balloon full of 1 Marks and Spencer vouchers from our work - they burst it over our heads at our party - I hit the floor to make sure I got them all :lol:

i like that idea! :yes:

i think i am going to send this list to my sister and ask her what they'd like me to get them from it!

DS14 says he's going to throw rice at them - cooked rice! :nono:

Disneybumble
24-02-2009, 08:08 PM
I like his style Mairead

$7 graduation card.:unsure:

Remember always leave a very nasty unmarked gift. I have also done this at a couple of weddings. One involved a 70's lamp l removed from a skip.:thumbsup:

mumof2
24-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Siobhan!

I'm going to do that - i'll get a really cheap naff gift.....:thumbsup:

or jamie has just said we should pinch something from their house and wrap it up to give back to them! :yes:

mainecoon lover
24-02-2009, 08:48 PM
like this?

http://www.groovycatsanddogs.com/view.asp?prid=375

Now i can see Cornelius in that suit :yes:

josh.p.
24-02-2009, 08:57 PM
I hate seeing animals in costumes :sorry:

Siobhan!

I'm going to do that - i'll get a really cheap naff gift.....:thumbsup:

or jamie has just said we should pinch something from their house and wrap it up to give back to them! :yes:
:point::point: I like Jamie's idea!!!

foreverducky
24-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Hey....everyone can use 24 rolls of toilet paper. :D

Rosie0610
24-02-2009, 09:57 PM
I didn't get anything weird but I did have one guest (friends of my dad) who didn't have a card so they gave cash and asked my dad for his envelope from his card!

Johnie
24-02-2009, 11:00 PM
I didn't get anything weird either.

My MIL did bring ex husband #3 (WHO I HAD NEVER EVEN MET) to our wedding. Seems she couldn't bear to have her ex husband #2 (Mike's dad) be there without acting like the witch she is. AND MIL is on husband #13 now so it's not like ex husband #2 was someone in her recent past :slap:

Mike's dad was classy enough not to bring his wife (though I didn't care....at least I know her!)

I hear she made some snide comment to Mike's dad at one point. I was blissfully unware of the bad manners :nono:

Disneybumble
25-02-2009, 07:27 AM
I AND MIL is on husband #13 now so it's not like ex husband #2 was someone in her recent past :slap:

:

13:jawdrop:

Britchick
25-02-2009, 09:50 AM
omg Johnie, how many kids does she have?

Johnie
25-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Just 3 kids.

Rosie0610
25-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Johnie, who are the people that keep marrying her? Or don't you even bother to try and keep up?

Johnie
25-02-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't even bother to learn their names anymore. I've met #1, he is the father of Mike's 2 older sisters. I of course have met #2 because he is Mike's dad. I've met #3 because he gate crashed my wedding. I don't think I have met #4-#9. Those were before my time. I don't think I even know the new ones name.

I truly don't see how she keeps getting these men. She is evil I tell you. Evil.

Taja
25-02-2009, 02:31 PM
:lol:

When my cousin KC and her DH were married, their gift requests included tools. They knew they wanted to buy a house as soon as possible and wanted to be prepared. It took two years of living with her parents (huge house--they didn't even see one another if they didn't want to) and saving, but they did it! :)

This was about 10 years ago, and most of the wedding guests refused to buy the things they really needed. As usual, they received at least 6 toasters (not even on the list) and sheets and towels that didn't suit their taste, altlhough they did use them eventually as spares!

Me? I bought them a Home Depot gift certificate from the three of us--my mother, Uncle Art (KC's great aunt and uncle) and me! Most people thought it was tacky--I thought it was practical! :lol:

Johnie
25-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I think a Home Depot gift certificate is a great idea if that's something they could use :yes: And anyone buying a house could surely use one!

mumof2
25-02-2009, 03:24 PM
i think money and gift vouchers are most acceptable these days and lots of couples prefer them, unless there are things they particularly need or want :yes: