PDA

View Full Version : what do you keep for best?

disneymom
26-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm being laughed at for keeping things for best :lol: does anyone else do it or only me?

I have plates, cutlery, jewelry, clothes all kept for best :lol: and I suppose I dont use them often but I like knowing that theyre there?

is it only me? what do you keep for best?

foreverducky
26-02-2009, 01:19 PM
I did that for a while, but then realized if I waited for the right moment or best time, that those times would never come along....so now I use whenever I want. :D

Tink
26-02-2009, 01:34 PM
We have a small set of china that we keep for best (Lennox Opal Innocence if you want to have a google and see :D ) and we have our "best" clothes. They consist of (for me) a velvet top, and for Herself a satin jacket style top. :D We pair them with trousers (that are good, but not reserved for best).

That's about it! :unsure:

Ursula
26-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Loads of clothes and now they don't fit... gah! But not crockery. Weird thing is this... I have Harrods shopping bags but don't use them.... and I don't know why, what I'm saving them for I don't even know.

Britchick
26-02-2009, 01:45 PM
i have some undergarments i keep for best :tongue: you did ask :whistle:

josh.p.
26-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I have a suit that I only wear at very special occasions, and shoes of course, but other than that, nothing really! Some nice aftershave too... that's about it:unsure:

mumof2
26-02-2009, 01:54 PM
we have a large dinner set which was a wedding pressie. we didn't use it for years as we didn't have the room, then when we moved house we started using it for special occassions.

it cost over £400 and it's not in production anymore so i used to worry madly about it then i realised it just wasn't being loved as it should have been so we do use it now - not daily, but i do use the plates as standbys. the vegetable dishes come out on roast days and the large salad bowl doubles up as a pasta serving bowl.

other bits still only come out on special days but i'm not so afraid to touch it now!

Rosie0610
26-02-2009, 03:20 PM
I have tons and tons of make-up and creams that I keep for 'best'. They are probably all old and dried up though. :(

My house is too small to keep stuff in that I won't use. I didn't even register for china at my wedding shower as I knew I didn't have a dining room to serve anyone in.

MystikPiglit
26-02-2009, 03:22 PM
The only thing I keep for rare occasions is a 1930's velvet opera coat that I bought at Christie's in London.

Wendy
26-02-2009, 03:23 PM
We have a cutlery set and a dinner service that we use for best. It doesn't get used very often :lol: Oh and I've got a really nice set of crystal glasses that never get used because I'm scared of breaking them :lol:

Claire
26-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Doesn't anyone have a parlour or front room they only open for important visitors? My Nana did.

Taja
26-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Are you related to my mother, disneymom? :lol:

Granted, she was a child of the Great Depression--she graduated from high school during the height of the depression. So certain things always were saved for "best." A pair of shoes and handbag (very nice pumps and bag), a dress, her china and silver flatware, a tea set that belonged to her parents--and at least two sets of her newest underwear always were reserved for "best" until she purchased or was gifted the next ones. Always.

I have a four-piece wool suit that cold be said to be saved for "best" but it's really more practical than that--it just isn't cold enough to wear it very often! I have my mother's china--and mine--that is rarely used, primarily because I don't take the time to get it out very often. I have two coordinated sets of "daily" dishes (service for 16), which is far more than one person needs! :lol: And I just don't entertain the way I used to--20 or 30 people for dinner a couple of times each month plus holidays was normal. Occasionally, I'll pull out a few pieces of china and set a very nice table for one. :)

Clothing--I have one jacket and one shell that are a bit dressy for daily wear, so they tend to be "saved" for "best." They also require a bit of special care, and I'm seriously into wash and wear these days! And I do have one pair of heels that I can wear for about six hours--if I'm not injured! :rolleyes: I do wear both of the long black skirts and crepe slacks to work occasionally with other tops and jackets. They can be dressy or not.

My rule of thumb for my wardrobe used to be 80% of my wardrobe had to be worn 80% of the time; now it's closer to 90%! :D

josh.p.
26-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Doesn't anyone have a parlour or front room they only open for important visitors? My Nana did.
My nan did. It had a big huge leather couch, all her fancy ornaments and the big T.V. We where never even allowed in at Christmas!! She used to make us cramp into a tiny little back room with a calorgas fire :point:

Taja
26-02-2009, 03:29 PM
The only thing I keep for rare occasions is a 1930's velvet opera coat that I bought at Christie's in London.

Ooooooooo!

Now that is definitely worthwhile saving for "best"! :D

MystikPiglit
26-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Ooooooooo!

Now that is definitely worthwhile saving for "best"! :D

:yes: It is beautiful and I'd like to keep it looking good forever. :D

Ursula
26-02-2009, 06:37 PM
My nan did. It had a big huge leather couch, all her fancy ornaments and the big T.V. We where never even allowed in at Christmas!! She used to make us cramp into a tiny little back room with a calorgas fire :point:

My mum did that too... only we were allowed in on Christmas day... it was weird... boxing day we were all back out again lol.... til next year. Why? I have no idea!

Dawn
26-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Nothing.

I have an outfit that I keep for funerals though. Does that count? :unsure:

Dizneyblonde
26-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm surprised you haven't told them about my Disney tea towels and oven mit Dawn!

Dawn
26-02-2009, 06:46 PM
And the rest. :lol:

I was allowed to touch a tea towel. :D

josh.p.
26-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I have a special F.R.I.E.N.D.S mug from New york that only myself or *Very* special visitors get to drink out of !

mumof2
26-02-2009, 07:08 PM
well funnily enough since we had the front room done........we hardly use it 'til later in the evening, and sometimes i only go in there to open and close the curtains!

how mad is that.....still, it doesn't take much tidying! :thumbsup:

Johnie
26-02-2009, 07:38 PM
I have a tendency to do that with makeup and lotions. No idea why though.

Disneybumble
26-02-2009, 07:49 PM
I have some nice clothes which are to dressy to do the school run in.
I have some vintage Gucci handbags which l do only use for "best". My Irish grandparents had a room for best and "showing" which really ment,when somebody died they were laid out in there. Then people would come and pay there respects.
It was a bit off putting having tea in there ,because you knew what had gone on before.

Mari
26-02-2009, 11:13 PM
I did that for a while, but then realized if I waited for the right moment or best time, that those times would never come along....so now I use whenever I want. :D

same here!!!!

But i do keep som ehtings for best I guess, I dont dress Tatiana in her best clothes for daycare.... but she DOES wear them during the weekend even if we arent going anywhere... hahaha

as for china and cutlery... we have a set we use daily, because its only for 4.... anytime theres more people around we take the nices ones out, even if its not a special occasion--

Mari
26-02-2009, 11:19 PM
We have a cutlery set and a dinner service that we use for best. It doesn't get used very often :lol: Oh and I've got a really nice set of crystal glasses that never get used because I'm scared of breaking them :lol:

Ive broken 3 really nice french crystal glasses .... WASHING THEM!!! :sorry:

after that... Im not afraid to use them!

whats the brand??... I think its JG Durand or something like that.... they are lovely! :yes:

Ursula
27-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I have a special F.R.I.E.N.D.S mug from New york that only myself or *Very* special visitors get to drink out of !

Runs round to Josh's for coffee to see which mug he gives me........:unsure:

Disneybumble
27-02-2009, 02:19 PM
I try to keep my DS for best,but he keeps escaping.

Taja
27-02-2009, 02:37 PM
I have a formal living room and dining room that aren't used much these days. When we had four people in the house, we used the dining room for most evening and weekend meals and the living room was the "quiet" public room. No television! A lovely, tranquil place to listen to music, read, chat or just daydream! :)

These days I mostly use the family room and breakfast room, which are connected to the kitchen. It's a good-sized area--700 sq. ft. or so--as large as most of my early apartments!

As Mairead noted, it's certainly easier to keep the living and dining rooms neat--no one uses them! :lol:

*Bambi-Belle*
27-02-2009, 02:50 PM
I have a few good bottles of wine that we keep putting off drinking as we are waiting for a special occasion. I also have 2 bottles of bubbly left from my wedding 16 years ago lol that still need drinking but we are keeping then for a special occasion too.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Table covers. I have a special one for Christmas and a nice lacy one from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Cyprus</st1:place></st1:country-region> that I keep for special meals.

<o:p></o:p>
Ooooh! I have special undergarments that I keep for special occasions too. Too much info there I know!!!sorry. lol:unsure:

OK! This is a strange one but my boys both play the violin and we have special rosin for their bows. They only use it for exams and concerts lol because itís pricy. They use the cheap stuff the rest of the year. It will soon be exam time and the regional Orchestraís spring concert will be happening shortly, so it will soon be good rosin time lol :rotfl:

My puppy has a special pink fleecy coat and matching collar for special Sunday walks.:wiggle:

mainecoon lover
27-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I have two pairs of boots that only get warn when i am not driving or i know i will be sat at a dinner table most of the evening. This is because they are really to high to walk in them but i had to have them.

Mari
27-02-2009, 04:44 PM
I try to keep my DS for best,but he keeps escaping.

hahahahahahaha

Beccaberry
01-03-2009, 02:37 AM
Tink...I just googled the Lenox...it's gorgeous. I love it.

Hmmm. Best? Lessee...I just bought some new cookware from Macy's because my old Ikea pieces were starting to fall apart...and you know what? I still use the old pieces as if I'm saving the new for a "special occasion" (they're piggin' pots and pans for pete's sake :rolleyes: )