PDA

View Full Version : Josh - I just was reading about this

Shellyamc
26-02-2009, 10:31 PM
..and thought you might be interested. Something you want want to look into and maybe get some more information about. :unsure:

The centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises keeping children younger than 5 away from all pet reptiles, including pet turtles. These animals can be a source of life-threatening salmonella infections. Symptoms of a salmonella infection include fever, vomiting, bloody diarrhea and abdominal pain. A child can become infected from handling a reptile or by handling objects contaminated with a reptile's feces. Some cases have been reported in infants who never touched the reptiles. Researchers believe infants were infected when they were held by those who handled the reptiles.

Mari
26-02-2009, 10:48 PM
thanks for the info!!!

my parents have a pet turtle!

josh.p.
26-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Hiya,

I am aware of the risks of this- however, the salmonella risk is really not as great as people make it sound. We have to keep a good hygine routine with them anyway and we have anti-bacterial hand gel in the shed and the kitchen and also seperate shoes for the torts enclosure.

Thanks for letting me know :D

Shellyamc
26-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Hiya,

I am aware of the risks of this- however, the salmonella risk is really not as great as people make it sound. We have to keep a good hygine routine with them anyway and we have anti-bacterial hand gel in the shed and the kitchen and also seperate shoes for the torts enclosure.

Thanks for letting me know :D

I figured you were going to be on top of this already :thumbsup: I feel better now :D

josh.p.
26-02-2009, 11:21 PM
really HUGE thanks for bringing it to our attention, if we didn't know it could cause serious trouble and we would have been non the wiser.

The risks are over-exaggerated though, which is a good thing as otherwise people would be exaggerated.

Shellyamc
26-02-2009, 11:48 PM
really HUGE thanks for bringing it to our attention, if we didn't know it could cause serious trouble and we would have been non the wiser.

The risks are over-exaggerated though, which is a good thing as otherwise people would be exaggerated.

Well this is true with most things when it comes to babies. It is so much better to be over-exaggerated then to think things are no big deal. Even when dealing with the family dog and your basic pets. :yes:

josh.p.
26-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Definatley :) I have been reading stuff about introducing the dog to Niamh and am pretty confident I know what I am doing there too.

Dorothy
27-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Definatley :) I have been reading stuff about introducing the dog to Niamh and am pretty confident I know what I am doing there too.

Josh be really careful with this one sweetie. The dog will see the baby one of two ways. Someone to be protected or someone that doesn't belong in the *pack*.

We had to get rid of a dog because he just would not adjust to Zach when he was a baby. I've been training and rehabbing dogs for over 30 years and believe me the one of the toughest things to do is get some dogs to accept a baby.

If you have any questions PM me :hug2:

Tink
27-02-2009, 12:34 AM
My sister's husband stuffed one of those poor little green turtles (the kind you used to be able to buy at Woolworth's) into his mouth when he was a toddler. His baby sitter found him sucking away on the turtle. Who knows how long it had been in his mouth! He was ok. :yes: (Well, if you want to call him ok to begin with. :spring: ).

Not to diminish the issue, but excellent hygiene should do the trick. I'd be far more worried about the dog. :yes:

Dorothy
27-02-2009, 02:23 AM
I'd be far more worried about the dog. :yes:

Dogs are pack animals and usually, but not always, they will see an infant as a new member of the pack. Once in awhile though you do get one who just will not adjust and becomes very jealous of the baby. The problem with those dogs is that you just never know when they are going to decide to act on the impulse to get the intruder out (so to speak).

In all the years of rehabbing dogs, there only has been the one time I just couldn't get him to adjust :sigh: I about broke my heart to get rid of him.

Dawn
27-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Josh make sure Sonny is wormed regularly too.

josh.p.
27-02-2009, 08:49 AM
We have printed of some tips about the dog and new babies, but any tips you have would Be appreciated as I much prefer learning from experience than a behaviourist that has just written a guide with no idea of the practicalities of it all!!

josh.p.
27-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Sonny gets wormed regularly too, mum has stickers she puts on the calendar so she remembers to worm and frontline him.