PDA

View Full Version : RyanAir to charge for the loo?

Shogun
27-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Found this on the news page:-

Irish budget airline Ryanair has said it is considering charging passengers for using the toilet while flying.

Chief executive Michael O'Leary told the BBC that the Dublin-based carrier was looking at maybe installing a "coin slot on the toilet door".

Consumer group Which? said the airline was putting "profit before passengers".

Last week Ryanair confirmed it plans to close all of its airport check-in desks by the end of the year in a bid to reduce the cost of its flights.

'Fast buck'

Ryanair aims to offer low basic ticket prices, and then charge extra for items such as checking in at the airport or for additional luggage.

"One thing we have looked at in the past, and are looking at again, is the possibility of maybe putting a coin slot on the toilet door, so that people might actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny in future," he told BBC television.

He added: "I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound."

But Rochelle Turner, Head of Research at Which? Holiday, said: "It seems Ryanair is prepared to plumb any depth to make a fast buck and, once again, is putting profit before the comfort of its customers.

"Charging people to go to the toilet might result in fewer people buying overpriced drinks on board, though - that would serve Ryanair right."

How can they operate without check in desks?

josh.p.
27-02-2009, 12:09 PM
this is ridiculous!

Good job it wasn't in place when we went to Benidorm for a weekend away last year I had an erm... 'upset stomach' on the way back, we would have had to re-mortgage the house the rate I was in that bathroom!

Debbie2
27-02-2009, 12:17 PM
well that's just taking the p*ss isn't it.......................

Johnie
27-02-2009, 12:20 PM
oh good grief!

I swear I hate being nickel and dimes to death!!

Ursula
27-02-2009, 12:27 PM
A pound!

mumof2
27-02-2009, 12:33 PM
a pound for a pee?

and how can you check in without a desk?

they've lost the plot surely :unsure:

Tink
27-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Perhaps they'll move to online check in only? :unsure:

I've read about other airlines trying to charge for the toilet. I do wonder what they would do with a sick passenger who didn't have the coin to get into the bathroom.

I know I almost never have cash on me. Herself says I'm going to get caught out one day, but honestly I never have it! I tend to get by on my debit card and my company credit card (where I can use that for company related travel). I wonder if they'll put credit card readers in their bathroom doors?

Might be interesting to see how this one plays out.

foreverducky
27-02-2009, 01:25 PM
:toetap:Coming from a woman who has IBS, I think this just ridiculous...using the restroom is a right, not a privilege.:thumbsdown:

Dizneyblonde
27-02-2009, 01:43 PM

Couldn't have put it better myself Debbie!

josh.p.
27-02-2009, 01:57 PM
it's one thing taking the pee.... charging a 1 to do so is the problem :ROFL:

Taja
27-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Yikes! :eek:

Probably not too bad on a short hop, but longer flights? :eek:

It predates most of our members, but Disneyland once had coin-operated toilets. Local sanitation required that at least one stall in each restroom be free of charge. To get around it, someone would use a coin-operated stall, then hold the door open for the next person in line. :evil: Disney eventually got the message about 10 years or so into operation of Disneyland and eliminated the charge.

mainecoon lover
27-02-2009, 02:55 PM
I think they are possibly shoting themselfs in the foot here. I mean what else are they going to start charging for, the use of a life jacket if the plane were to crash :nono:

Dawn
27-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Well if I'm travelling to a foreign country I'm unlikely to have a pound with me - will these toilets accept euros?

And it's only 20p at Victoria station. :lol:

uscwest
27-02-2009, 03:59 PM
And I RARELY have change with me, since you can't take it through security in your pockets.

Dawn
27-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Well it's a pound to use the toilet in Harrods but they are all marble and china and have nice smelly stuff you can spray around and ladies who hand you towels and stuff.

If Ryanair provide that kind of service I'll pay a pound for it.

keith
27-02-2009, 04:14 PM
And I RARELY have change with me, since you can't take it through security in your pockets.

same with me!

...but this is ryanair. It's an awful pennypinching airline that charge for almost everything. They were the ones that started charging for wheelchair assistance and were exposed on a documentary not allowing passengers to have a drink of water despite being stuck on the runway for over an hour with no aircon.

Of course the flip side which ought not be forgotten is that when folks pay 1 for their whole flight, it shouldn't come as any surprise when the airline tries to get some money back by charging for absolutely everything

mumof2
27-02-2009, 05:26 PM
:toetap:Coming from a woman who has IBS, I think this just ridiculous...using the restroom is a right, not a privilege.:thumbsdown:

just what i was thinking about my niece with Crohns actually - she carries a little card saying that she has a non infectious illness and MUST be allowed to use the loo....wonder how Ryanair would deal with that!

uscwest
27-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Well it's a pound to use the toilet in Harrods but they are all marble and china and have nice smelly stuff you can spray around and ladies who hand you towels and stuff.

If Ryanair provide that kind of service I'll pay a pound for it.I honestly do not remember having to pay a pound to use the toilet in Harrods.

mumof2
27-02-2009, 05:30 PM
I honestly do not remember having to pay a pound to use the toilet in Harrods.

perhaps you snuck in somehow!

Dawn
27-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Third floor - Harrods cardholder toilets. Non cardholders can pay 1 to use them and get all the sprays and towels and fancy stuff. :wink:

uscwest
27-02-2009, 05:35 PM
I used the one in the basement.

Dawn
27-02-2009, 05:38 PM
I used them all. The full tour. :rotfl:

Then I got completely lost and couldn't find my way out of ladies fashions. :eek:

Claire
27-02-2009, 05:58 PM
I mentioned this story to DH who works in aviation and he say's it's no more than he'd expect from Mr O'Leary. Apparently he'd charge is own grandmother for oxygen!

Steven
27-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Well if I'm travelling to a foreign country I'm unlikely to have a pound with me - will these toilets accept euros?

I guess so and plus with the Euro almost being equal. Hehe 1 for EUROnate :thumbsup:

Dawn
27-02-2009, 06:39 PM
I guess so and plus with the Euro almost being equal. Hehe 1 for EUROnate :thumbsup:

:laugh:

keith
27-02-2009, 06:58 PM
I mentioned this story to DH who works in aviation and he say's it's no more than he'd expect from Mr O'Leary. Apparently he'd charge is own grandmother for oxygen!

yeah too right! completely agree with your DH

Disneybumble
27-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Well l think l would take a leaf out of Sharon Osbournes book and send him a little package on my return.

keith
27-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Well l think l would take a leaf out of Sharon Osbournes book and send him a little package on my return.

but would it be in a tiffany box? ;)

Disneybumble
27-02-2009, 07:04 PM
but would it be in a tiffany box? ;)

It would Keith but not an earing box, a great big decanter box.:thumbsup:

keith
27-02-2009, 07:07 PM
It would Keith but not an earing box, a great big decanter box.:thumbsup:

:laugh:

Ursula
27-02-2009, 07:22 PM
People will just keep the door open... we're like that in a war..... we stick together and dig in.

malcolm
27-02-2009, 07:29 PM
In for a penny, in for a pound !!!

Ursula
27-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Groan... smacks....