PDA

View Full Version : Is this an omen?

Tink
02-27-2009, 06:32 PM
As you all know, I work out of town/state nearly every week, all week.

That makes getting things accomplished, like hair appointments very difficult. I have a wonderful stylist, but she simply cannot seem to accommodate my schedule. She doesn't work weekends or Mondays (the day I'm most likely to be home doing administrative work) and lately she's not been responding to my texts (the way she sets appointments) unless I send them three or four times. I typically try to give her at least a week's notice. So, all that to say, she can't see me today (asked her about it last Friday, with no response until Wednesday then a "no" with no chance of Monday, and I'm gone again Tuesday... :sigh: ) soooooooo, I stopped into a salon within walking distance of our home.

It's a full service salon with much the same price structure, and they have weekend hours (but no Sunday or Mondays, what is it with no Mondays? ).

The stylist who consulted with me for a few moments said she would be able to see me tomorrow (cancellation) if I liked.

Her name? Becca! :D :D :D

I think it's a good omen, don't you? :D

Now then? Help me with what I'm going to say when (if?) my former stylist contacts me with a time for an appointment? :unsure:

Johnie
02-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Hair stylists typically have Mondays off. I think it's their Sunday.

I'd be honest with the old stylist and tell her that your schedule and hers conflict so you had to find someone else.

Dizneyblonde
02-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Just make sure she hasn't had any vodka before she cuts!

Beccaberry
02-27-2009, 06:36 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

It's an omen all right...whether it's a good one or bad one....I'm terrified to answer :D

Please tell me you will not hold me personally responsible if you don't like your hair!!! :wink:

As for you previous stylist, I say simply be honest with her and tell her you've had to find someone who is more compatible with your busy schedule.

mumof2
02-27-2009, 06:37 PM
that surely is an omen!

just be honest with your other stylist i guess, she obviously knows your schedule and as she can't accomodate you you've had to find someone else who can.....wonderful though I'm sure she is she does sound rather unhelpful and unreliable which leads me to think maybe she'd rather you made the break instead of her anyway :unsure:

hope you new stylist works out - don't give the other one the push til you know you're happy though!

keith
02-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Definitely a good omen in my experience :yes:

I'm not good with long delays in responses to emails/texts :lol: so if the old one texed me, she just wouldn't hear anything back but I do agree that it isn't a useful response and being truthful with her is the correct way forward.

Disneybumble
02-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Hair stylists typically have Mondays off. I think it's their Sunday.

I'd be honest with the old stylist and tell her that your schedule and hers conflict so you had to find someone else.

I think that's a very good response. You have wanted to book her but your schedules just clash.

Mari
02-27-2009, 06:49 PM
They usually clos eon mondays because its the least busy day of the week..

I think that its great that you are at least giving it a try... it will make things so much easier in the long run..

I honestly could not deal with a stylist that isnt willing to accomodate me EVER... especially if Im along time client....

MystikPiglit
02-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Be honest. Be sure to thank her for previous service and just say you have someone that matches your schedules. :hug2:

PsychoAlice
02-27-2009, 10:27 PM
I was a stylist who had Sat, Sun and Mon off...course my books were planned out months in advance...

Tink
02-28-2009, 04:00 AM
Darn it. I was hoping you all would tell me to text the stylist and tell her that I'd died and wouldn't be booking any more appointments with her. :sigh:

I planned on telling her that I had to find someone who could put up with my hectic schedule, so it's good that we are all on the same page, eh?

But yeah, Keith. I'm tempted to just not respond to her if she does text me and Mairead I'd rather thought that too. I've wondered if she wasn't kind of trying to tell me to go along, in her own way. :shrug:

Anyway, I'll give the new stylist a try tomorrow. I have photos of color and style that I'd like her to look at give me her opinion. I need a stylist who can have an opinion, but work with a few of my absolutes. (Absolutely NEVER have hair cut above my ears, and that sort of thing).

I didn't think about the vodka Siobhan! :lol: Might actually improve my looks if she had a go at my hair after a few drinks! :D :D

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your advice! :D :D

Tinker
02-28-2009, 04:58 AM
Good Luck with the new sylist Sister Tink .
I agree with Johnie , I'd tell her that its a conflict of schedule .

foreverducky
02-28-2009, 12:16 PM
You know Tink, it's always important to remember that hair always grows back! :D

foreverducky
02-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Oh and every hair color or perm can be changed. :D

PsychoAlice
02-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Stylists know that men are more loyal than women are to their stylist. Thats just the way it works.

When a stylist has a talent her books fill up quickly. Thats why its always good to have a standing appointment. If you cant its always better to find a stylist who has more of a flexible schedule.

Taja
02-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Good luck with the new stylist, Tink!

I've been stuck with Great Clips for the last few years. I keep trying different stylists and various salons, but they all want me to fight what my hair does naturally instead of working with it. :rolleyes: And the silly stuff is very thick and grows rapidly, too, which compounds the issues. I really miss my former hairdressers--both of whom retired from the trade. :sigh:

Tink
02-28-2009, 02:42 PM
I think it's murder to find a stylist who is a true professional. The one I had was very talented, but she just wasn't all that professional if that makes sense? I followed her directions and request for length of notice, etc. :shrug:

I do think that she may have decided that I was too much work. I have truly miserable hair that takes no prisoners. :( If the cut is one strand off, it looks very obvious. I'm still struggling with new thyroid issues so that effects the hair too. :sigh:

At any rate, I am hoping my "new" Becca will be able to put up with me and be talented at the same time! She surely seemed ok with what I told her when we met.

PsychoAlice
02-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Sounds to me as if Tink has very fine hair ;)

Beccaberry
02-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Now PA...everything about our Tink is very fine!!! :D

Johnie
02-28-2009, 06:57 PM
I can tell you that very thick hair is no walk in the park either.

I currently go to Great Clips as well. Crystal works there and she does a good job with my hair.

Beccaberry
02-28-2009, 06:58 PM
I just don't get my hair cut.

I'm not sure if this is a valid solution, but so far it's worked better than procuts.

Johnie
02-28-2009, 06:59 PM
I would be a wooly mess if I didn't get my hair cut.

I did try that after I had Alysia.....not a pretty sight.

Beccaberry
02-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Mine grows slower than (what the hell is something that grows slow?)

Anyway, I think I actually have about two cuts per year.

Ironic though, as I've been considering all week going for a cut today...I'm considering bangs (fringe, I think for you UK folks)....

Johnie
02-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Bangs are my friend :yes:

My hair grows fast. You should have seen it grow while I was pregnant!

Beccaberry
02-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Mine doesn't grow incredibly fast...and then it will reach a certain point and not grow any farther.

I think I would like bangs...though Jon is opposed...he hates change of any kind..

Johnie
02-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Tell Jon he gets no say so in your hair :nono:

Beccaberry
02-28-2009, 07:06 PM
LOL, he well and truly knows that.

The only say he gets is helping me color it :D

Johnie
02-28-2009, 07:07 PM
:tongue:

Tink
03-01-2009, 05:02 PM
If by fine you mean thin, limp and impossible, then I have very fine hair. :sigh:

I really like the work the new Becca did though. :yes: The color is much more natural and she stacked the back so it gives a true illusion of fullness. She evened out the front and made it look less straggly. :yes:

I'll definitely be going back to her. With the tip, she was a bit less than my previous stylist. :yes:

Herself has thick full hair. It's beautiful and if someone makes a mistake cutting it, there's enough hair to kind of "hide" it. :yes: Not to say she hasn't had some not so great haircuts, but she doesn't look like a rat has been at her head like I would. :sigh:

I'm trying to convince her to try the new Becca. She's not big on being fussed with so we'll see how that goes. She calls it "fancy" stuff, and says she's not much for fancy stuff. :lol:

I think next time I'll have a pedicure along with the hair work! :D :D

PsychoAlice
03-01-2009, 05:39 PM
I love love love love love having pedicures...and I really glad that the new Becca worked out!

Beccaberry
03-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Glad to hear the "new" Becca was a success (just don't forget about the "old" Becca :wink: )

Pedicures. *sigh* truly one of my favorite things...I wish I could afford them more often, but they truly are an indulgence when I do...I've even gotten Jon hooked :D

Johnie
03-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm glad the new Becca worked out!

I LOVE getting pedicures!!! I'd go every week if I could. However, I seem to be able to keep my toes looking good for an incredibly long time so there is no need.

We saw the cutest thing last time we went. There was an older woman there with her husband. This was his first pedicure and we asked how he liked it. He LOVED it :tongue: I keep trying to convince Mike but he's not buying into it.

Beccaberry
03-02-2009, 01:24 AM
I got Jon to go for the first time by buying him a gift certificate...he wasn't about to let that money go to waste! And now he's the one asking ME to go! :D

Johnie
03-02-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm pretty sure that even if I bought Mike a gift certificate, he wouldn't go. Of course, then I would get to use it myself :yes:

Tinker
03-02-2009, 01:32 AM
Glad it worked out Sister Tink .
Johnie *LOL*

Tink
03-02-2009, 01:43 AM
Now how on this earth would I forget about the original Becca? Honestly woman, you'd better tip a martini or two! :D :lol:

Thanks Sister Tinker! :hug1:

Taja
03-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Glad the new stylist worked out, Tink. :thumbsup:

My cut is a wee bit short on the bottom, which isn't too bad. It should be just right in about two weeks! :lol: The top is a bit long, but I can pull it back. We'll work on it again next time--or I may visit my colleague's stylist across town. Still undecided. :rolleyes:

Tink
03-02-2009, 10:09 PM
For some reason Taja, I thought you had very long hair of all one length? :unsure: Where did I come up with that idea? :unsure:

Taja
03-02-2009, 10:15 PM
I did! Well, a bit below shoulder length. :lol:

I was a little brave last October and had a few gentle layers trimmed into it.

I was really brave last Wednesday and had it layered throughout. She left the top a bit long, though. But I like the layers--it's much easier to brush, wash and dry.

However, it did go BOING! for a few days after it was cut. The kinks and waves really kicked in! :rolleyes:

Tink
03-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Sure! Lightened up the hair and it went with its natural tendencies. Sounds like you have the hair I covet. :D

Herself's Mother actually said my hair looked nice this Sunday when we were down there. She's not ever said that before, so this new Becca must have done something right! :D :D

Taja
03-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Said hair now has a nice white--and very natural--streak around my face! :lol:

Haven't done my hair colour for over two years--wanted to see if I like it. I didn't when it was long, but now that it's layered, it's growing on me. :lol:

Tink
03-02-2009, 10:31 PM
So to speak... :wink: :lol:

mumof2
03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
excellent Tink, i'm glad it worked out! :thumbsup: