PDA

View Full Version : Animals in the circus

mumof2
27-02-2009, 06:44 PM
just seen a report on this on the news - personally I don't like it as I don't believe the circus (http://www.greatbritishcircus.co.uk/) environment has adequate facilities for the animals.

Just wondered what anyone else thinks?

Mari
27-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I agree

Dawn
27-02-2009, 06:47 PM
I thought this was banned years ago. :unsure:

mumof2
27-02-2009, 06:48 PM
news (http://www.itv.com/News/Articles/Circus-slammed-over-elephant-act-781526572.html) report

Disneybumble
27-02-2009, 06:56 PM
I hate a circus and have to admit on going to Florida for the first time in 1990 i was very sceptical about SW and BG.

mumof2
27-02-2009, 07:01 PM
our first time was 1991 and i wasn't too sure what to think about SW either Siobhan, then i went to Gatorland......don't know what it's like these days.:unsure:

Disneybumble
27-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Never made it to Gatorland but SW and BG were fine apart from the Penguins at SW.

mumof2
27-02-2009, 07:03 PM
I thought this was banned years ago. :unsure:

well i thought it had been banned too Dawn

RSPCA (http://www.rspca.org.uk/) comments

Ursula
27-02-2009, 07:34 PM
I saw a wonderful Russian circus a few years back and there was not one animal used so they don't need them in the shows. Personally I wouldn't like to be in such close proximity of a wild animal without some strong barrier between me and them.

Johnie
27-02-2009, 08:20 PM
We used to go to the Ringling Brothers and Barmum Bailey circus every year when I was a child. I absolutely loved it. I haven't been since Alysia was 5 and I had an asthma attack at the circus (didn't even know I had asthma!). I've always heard they were very humane in their treatment of the animals. I don't know if that's true. There always seems to be picketers when they come now.

mumof2
27-02-2009, 08:44 PM
i just don't see how they can have enough room for the animals, they're just not meant to be in confined spaces

josh.p.
28-02-2009, 12:29 AM
I don't agree with circuses at all. Firstly, many of the animals come from more than dubious backgrounds, and secondly there is just no way they can have a suitable enclosure when they are on the move.

It really saddens me. We where in Majorca and Mum, Dad and Jade wanted to go to a circus... I flat out refused as I think they are terrible displays.

How on earth can they claim to provide good housing for an elephant on the move??!!?:slap::slap::slap::slap::slap:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr they get me SOOO angry! Off to cool down :sorry:

Tink
28-02-2009, 04:18 AM
I'm with you Josh. :( I went to a circus as a child as a guest of our RC church. I was so upset at the way the animals seemed to be treated I hung my head through the whole thing (trying to hide tears and not be seen). When we finally left and went home, the priest told Mama that he didn't think I much cared for the outing.

He was right.

I don't like BG at all, but will tolerate SW as they do some wonderful rescue and research there.

Our Issy has helped me to calm down a bit where BG is concerned but I really had a very bad experience there the one (and only) time I went.

I feel bad at AK now too when I see how much the gorillas have changed (behavior-wise). They used to be quite natural acting and now they've acclimated and seem bored and restless. That just hurts my heart. :(

I guess Dumbo scarred me for life. :(

Tinker
28-02-2009, 05:10 AM
I use to love the circus as a kid and even took Patrick when he was about six . The next year , I took my dog to the mall early in the morning to see the tents go up . I saw the elephants and I felt so bad . That night I took Pat to a small amusement park in the area instead and haven't been to a circus since .

mumof2
28-02-2009, 10:47 AM
exactly. wild animals just aren't meant to be carried around for weeks or months in small enclosures.

josh.p.
28-02-2009, 10:55 AM
I was quite impressed with Animal Kingdom I must sa, but I found it hard to tell how big and varied their enclosures where as it was very crowded and I couldn't find the gorilla.

BG, for me, wasn't *that* brilliant. The elephants in particular upset me, they where rocking back and forth and seemed very restless. The tortoises enclosure leaves a lot to be desired, too (But then, so do most zoos to be honest)

I couldn't fault Sea world though, they are excellent. Especially in their research and rescue work that they do.

Johnie
28-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Unfortunately, we humans are responsible for the fact that we keep taking the habitat away from these animals and they have nowhere to live. Surely it is better to have the animals continue to survive in zoos and animal parks rather than let them become extinct?

I have no idea what they do with the circus and how they care for the animals. I am not referring to the circus in the post above.

mumof2
28-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Unfortunately, we humans are responsible for the fact that we keep taking the habitat away from these animals and they have nowhere to live. Surely it is better to have the animals continue to survive in zoos and animal parks rather than let them become extinct?

I have no idea what they do with the circus and how they care for the animals. I am not referring to the circus in the post above.

zoos and animal parks i don't disgree with unless they treat the animals badly

mumof2
28-02-2009, 06:46 PM
this however is wrong (hope the picture works)

http://www.animals-matter.com/userimages/barell.jpg

http://www.chillicothemo.com/images/092104_circus_s.jpg

a search on you tube regarding circus animals/circus cruelty etc will bring up a number if videos......

josh.p.
28-02-2009, 06:50 PM
I think putting them in animal parks is good, so long as they are going to a contribution to re-populating the wild population, such as a breeding program. A much better solution would be to stop taking their habitat but that isn't going to happy anyday soon :sorry:

this however is wrong (hope the picture works)

http://www.animals-matter.com/userimages/barell.jpg

http://www.chillicothemo.com/images/092104_circus_s.jpg

a search on you tube regarding circus animals/circus cruelty etc will bring up a number if videos......
OMG, my bottom lip has gone seeing those photo's. I'm not a crying person but anything like that makes me close to it! :sorry:

mumof2
28-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I think putting them in animal parks is good, so long as they are going to a contribution to re-populating the wild population, such as a breeding program. A much better solution would be to stop taking their habitat but that isn't going to happy anyday soon :sorry:

OMG, my bottom lip has gone seeing those photo's. I'm not a crying person but anything like that makes me close to it! :sorry:

:hug2: sorry, didn't mean to upset you Josh

josh.p.
28-02-2009, 07:16 PM
You didn't upset me, don't worry- I see things like that all the time, it's just I'm sooo tired at the minute LOL

Funnily enough, I love Elephants but it wasn't the elephant that upset me... it was that tiger. The way it was pouncing it should have been on a wild-life show eating a deer or doing something natural. Instead it's using it's natural instinct for jumping and being totally exploted for it. :(

mumof2
28-02-2009, 07:59 PM
You didn't upset me, don't worry- I see things like that all the time, it's just I'm sooo tired at the minute LOL

Funnily enough, I love Elephants but it wasn't the elephant that upset me... it was that tiger. The way it was pouncing it should have been on a wild-life show eating a deer or doing something natural. Instead it's using it's natural instinct for jumping and being totally exploted for it. :(

yes i agree :hug2:

Beccaberry
01-03-2009, 12:50 AM
When we were at Disney back in October we did a Grand Gathering at AK. The first part of the gathering included a private "safari" before dinner.

As we rode along, an elephant came into view. There were the typical "oohs" and "aaahs" as people started snapping photos.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o368/beccaberry73/DSCF7084.jpg

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o368/beccaberry73/DSCF7086.jpg

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o368/beccaberry73/DSCF7085.jpg

As I was snapping photos I noticed that the elephant was slowly swaying back and forth...almost rhythmically. Almost as soon as I noticed it, our safari guide who'd been chatting along animatedly about different things, pointed out the creature. His voice took on a very different tone, almost grave as he said, "You'll notice the elephant swaying back and forth. This is typical of elephants who have been "rescued" from the circus. Many of them spend most of their lives in captivity in tiny cages...the swaying is the only means of movement they have." I couldn't help it...my eyes teared up and my heart broke for these animals...

It's the first time I was really "grateful" for a place like AK.

Johnie
01-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Oh rebecca, I remember that! I think we were all crying :sorry:

Beccaberry
01-03-2009, 01:00 AM
I know, right? It was truly heartbreaking.

mumof2
01-03-2009, 11:48 AM
:hug2: that's heartbreaking

Tink
01-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I've been behind the scenes (a bit, not seen everything) at AK and the enclosures (night enclosures, and used for illness or birth, etc.) are quite large, incredibly clean and as far as I could tell "state of the art."

Disney does a LOT of research behind the scenes so they keep everything regarding their animals at research clean and controlled levels. It was the team at Disney that broke the code and discovered the final link regarding elephant to elephant communication. :yes:

The gorillas are on the Pangani Forest Trail, Josh. They are at the very end. In the early days of AK, CMs lined the trail insisting on quiet and "decorum" (no sudden gestures, no clapping to get the animals to react, etc.) especially at the gorilla site. That isn't the case anymore. :( The difference is telling. :(

The gorillas are my absolute favorite, and it saddens me greatly to see the changes in their behavior over the years that the AK has been open to the public. :(

One of the things I hated about BG was the crocodile/alligator area. There were so very many of the reptiles jammed into one space is was disgusting. :(

I saw more pathological behavior from the animals there than in any place I'd ever been. :( Rocking elephants (that had their leg chained!) hyenas pacing back and forth, and the saddest thing... a white tiger who was very thin jumping into a moat after a block of frozen meat (thrown in by the worker) and struggling over and over to get a purchase on the block. The tiger kept going underwater... it made me sick. We left shortly after that. :( I don't pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes there. All I know is that what I saw in the public areas convinced me that I didn't want to spend any more time or money there. :(

josh.p.
01-03-2009, 03:42 PM
that is so sad :( When we did the behind the scenes stuff at SW I was very impressed at what was on offer to the animals and how they where treated, as close to the wild as possible IMO.

I purposley didn't look at the reptiles in BG as I know I would have wanted to leave and ruin everyones day. They had a yellow foot tortoise on the bottom of the sloth enclosure. These tortoies grow about twice, maybe a bit more, the size of the Hermann torts that I keep, and the space that I have for 5 of my torts is at least treble the size that they had for this one tortoise :(

Besides that, the enclosure was in a shady spot. Yellowfoots like dappled sun-light and their enclosure was alarmingly dark. If I can see such obvious errors in something as easy to keep as a tortoise- how on earth can they manage to get something as complex as an animal right?