PDA

View Full Version : My patchwork quilt so far!

mumof2
28-02-2009, 01:43 PM
I've got a loooong way to go with it!

Dorothy
28-02-2009, 01:47 PM
WOW!! It's going to be sooo pretty when you're done :yes:

*Bambi-Belle*
28-02-2009, 01:49 PM
:hearts:Oh! that's really pretty.

My friend does patchwork. There is so much work that goes into it, not to mention the constant measuring. Itís like a maths lesson.:eek:

keith
28-02-2009, 01:49 PM
WOW how long does it take to do those?!?

Ursula
28-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Aw that's very pretty X

mumof2
28-02-2009, 01:57 PM
thanks guys!

Keith, that took me no time at all........i only started in 15 years or so ago!

it's been in the loft for 14 of those really :tongue: I'm hoping to finish it for baby Nancy when she goes into a big bed - she'll be 2 next October, or maybe i'll get it done in time for her 21st! :unsure:

Isafari
28-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Keith, that took me no time at all........i only started in 15 years or so ago!

Wow, you must have been what, 6 or 7 years old at the time.
It's going to look fab when it's finished :hug2:

mumof2
28-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Wow, you must have been what, 6 or 7 years old at the time.
It's going to look fab when it's finished :hug2:

:yes: i was! hee hee

foreverducky
28-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Wow, talk about dedication! Now that you have shown it to us, you are now obligated to keep going. :D

wdwgrandma
28-02-2009, 02:25 PM
That is beautiful! You are so lucky to know how to quilt. Grandma taught me to embroider and crochet, but she never taught me to quilt.

Taja
28-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Oooooooh! That is gorgeous Mairead! And you didn't exactly select the easiest pattern to piece! :D

I've only completed three quilts in my life--and one was a throw! All much simpler than yours!

mumof2
28-02-2009, 03:14 PM
well i've never done one before but i'm learning as i go along - my sister (not the one who's getting married) has made a few so she's going to help me when i need some advice.

i think i'll probably just end up stitching all the pieces together then stitching them onto a larger piece of fabric.

After that i'll put a layer of wadding behind it which i'll sandwich in with yet another piece of fabric.....hope that makes sense!

for the other young people i hope to make some of those fleece no sew blankets Physco Alice showed made :thumbsup:

don't be surprised if i don't get the patchwork done!

Beccaberry
28-02-2009, 11:05 PM
That is going to be beautiful, M!! :yes:

I love the colors!

mumof2
28-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Thank you! The colours don't show up so well in the photos.

Johnie
01-03-2009, 12:30 AM
It is going to be beautiful. Do you have enough fabric to complete it?

mumof2
01-03-2009, 01:23 PM
It is going to be beautiful. Do you have enough fabric to complete it?

yeah! i have those little hexagons all over the place!

Tink
01-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Oh my gosh! What a mountain of work you've done! :yes: I love quilts. I have an old Jacob's ladder quilt (hand sewn) but someone washed it and some of the bits have disintegrated. :( :( I still keep it as it is quite old, but I wasn't too happy at all with the damage done to it.

I've a couple others, done by my grandmother, but they are the tied/tacked ones. I don't like those nearly as well as the type you are doing. :yes:

Quilting is far too precise for me! :eek:

mumof2
01-03-2009, 01:31 PM
When my friend married she received a handsewn quilt

oh my goodness, i'd never seen anything like it....the patterns were all handsewn into the fabric - that's real quilting i suppose.

The stitching details was incredible - i could never do anything like that!

Disneybumble
01-03-2009, 09:13 PM
It's gorgeous Mairead. I think you are very talented.

Tink
01-03-2009, 10:14 PM
I've read quite a bit about quilts, and they seem to be much work to care for and protect as well as make!

I've read that you mustn't sit on a quilt, as it may cause the stitches to pop. I've read that you mustn't pull on a quilt, for the same reason. It should always be moved with at least two people lifting and moving it and not sliding or tugging it.

Is all that truly the case? I mean, I know with antique quilts you would need to be a bit more cautious, but it seems like the things I've read all point toward not using the quilt at all! :eek:

That's one load of work to do for it to end up not being used. :(

mumof2
02-03-2009, 04:02 PM
well i don't know about all that Tink.....what a lot of work that would be for nothing!

i was thinking about mine, it will probably turn out as a bed throw rather than a quilt, i'm not sure - i have an idea in mind but we'll have to wait and see!

Kate
02-03-2009, 08:11 PM
It really is going to be very beautiful - i hope you are going to take plenty of photos for us along the way! :yes:

mumof2
02-03-2009, 08:12 PM
It really is going to be very beautiful - i hope you are going to take plenty of photos for us along the way! :yes:

might do! :tongue:

mumof2
02-03-2009, 09:43 PM
i'm thinking mine won't turn out anything like these! (http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/hs2046.shtml)

this (http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/wh4174.shtml) one (if the link works out ok) is adorable!

Taja
02-03-2009, 10:59 PM
I've read quite a bit about quilts, and they seem to be much work to care for and protect as well as make!

I've read that you mustn't sit on a quilt, as it may cause the stitches to pop. I've read that you mustn't pull on a quilt, for the same reason. It should always be moved with at least two people lifting and moving it and not sliding or tugging it.

Is all that truly the case? I mean, I know with antique quilts you would need to be a bit more cautious, but it seems like the things I've read all point toward not using the quilt at all! :eek:

That's one load of work to do for it to end up not being used. :(

I expect mine to be used and abused, Tink! :lol:

Most of the ones I've made in recent years (the complex ones were made when KC turned two (she'll be 35 this year) and DC turned two (she just turned 30!) are pretty sturdy. They're denim and backed with flannel. They're machine stitched and strip pieced--not at all fancy. I try to make at least ten twin-sized quilts with a pillow sham and denim bear (gender and age neutral!) each year for various family shelters. So many children in the shelters come in with nothing but the clothes on their backs. :(

Mari
03-03-2009, 04:38 AM
I love it!!

it looks very complicated...!!!

GREAT JOB!

mumof2
03-03-2009, 10:03 AM
I expect mine to be used and abused, Tink! :lol:

Most of the ones I've made in recent years (the complex ones were made when KC turned two (she'll be 35 this year) and DC turned two (she just turned 30!) are pretty sturdy. They're denim and backed with flannel. They're machine stitched and strip pieced--not at all fancy. I try to make at least ten twin-sized quilts with a pillow sham and denim bear (gender and age neutral!) each year for various family shelters. So many children in the shelters come in with nothing but the clothes on their backs. :(

wow Taja - that's incredible :hug2:

mumof2
03-03-2009, 10:04 AM
thanks Mari - it's easy so far really. just fiddly. it's the putting it all together stage that i'm not sure of!