PDA

View Full Version : Booked Rays vs Toronto Blue Jays for August.

lisaw
28-02-2009, 03:30 PM
I'll be there with my peanuts and crackerjack :lol:

DS is beyond excited - he is saving all his money for the shop (he doesn't know we have bought him a Jersey and ball for his birthday next week :D)

So anything I need to know about going to a US baseball game, so I don't look like a complete tourist :lol: I pretty much know all the rules so should be able to follow the game. DS has said he needs to take his mitt with him in case a ball comes into the crowd so he can catch it, better than a ball hitting me I suppose.

We are sitting along the home to first base line :D

Taja
28-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Nice seating location, Lisa! :D

No tips about what to do--other than be careful what you buy to eat at the game. Some things can be really messy! :lol:

Cactus League spring training began yesterday. Or so I discovered! Went to a client's office and got stuck in traffic heading to one of the many stadiums. :rolleyes: I really need to remember to check the schedules for the next month! :lol:

Dorothy
28-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Those are good seats and he might just have a chance to catch a ball or two if he's lucky :thumbsup:

Rosie0610
02-03-2009, 02:33 PM
So anything I need to know about going to a US baseball game, so I don't look like a complete tourist :lol: I pretty much know all the rules so should be able to follow the game. DS has said he needs to take his mitt with him in case a ball comes into the crowd so he can catch it, better than a ball hitting me I suppose.

We are sitting along the home to first base line :D

Depending on how close you are sitting you should warn DS about 'trash-talk' he might overhear! :nono: Maybe learn the words to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"?? Although they usually only play that during the 7th inning stretch.

Dizneyblonde
02-03-2009, 02:35 PM
How did i miss this thread?

That's fab news Lisa.

Jack is still hoping to see a Monster Jam!

lisaw
02-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Depending on how close you are sitting you should warn DS about 'trash-talk' he might overhear! :nono: Maybe learn the words to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"?? Although they usually only play that during the 7th inning stretch.

Don't worry Rosie - he comes from a family of football (soccer) fans and goes to watch fottball games regularly - he knows all about 'that' sort of talk :rolleyes2:

We all know that song - we watched too much Barney when the kids were little :lol:

lisaw
02-03-2009, 02:37 PM
How did i miss this thread?

That's fab news Lisa.

Jack is still hoping to see a Monster Jam!

Do you have book that or is it a turn up sort of thing?

Disneybumble
02-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Great news Lisa. Will you tell him or keep it as a surprise.

lisaw
02-03-2009, 02:45 PM
No he knows - I am too much of a child and can't keep secrets I get too excited :lol: Also it is a good threatening tool for the next few months :evil:

Dizneyblonde
02-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Do you have book that or is it a turn up sort of thing?

Has to be booked.

There is one in Florida but it's too far for us without a car.

Tink
02-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Never, ever take your eye off the ball! :eek: If you are going to Tropicana Stadium it is a little weird as it is indoors...but not bad for all that. :D

There are loads of fun things to eat, so be sure to try some! :yes: (Other than the obligatory hot dog, I mean). :wink:

Did I mention NEVER take your eyes off the ball! :eek: Seriously, that is when someone will pop fly it right into your noggin. :( I've seen more people hit because they weren't watching... those balls fly at easily over 90 miles an hour and they are HARD! :eek:

Bring the mitt for sure! :yes: Loads of folks do.

The "local" fans of the Rays will have cowbells and ring them when there is a run, or when they want to distract the other team. Kind of unusual if you don't expect it.

There is a big silly mascot who runs all around. May or may not stop by and maul you a bit! :lol:

There will be songs played, and some of them will prompt audience participation. The wave is the most frequently seen one. :yes:

The seventh inning stretch is tradition. :yes: Stand up, sway, stretch and of course sing. :D :lol:

Wear your cap! :D :D

NEVER EVER TAKE YOUR EYE OFF THE BALL!!!!! (Did I say that yet)? :wink:

lisaw
02-03-2009, 03:06 PM
You have scared me now Tink! I don't do audience participation - that seventh inning stretch sounds scary :hide: I will have to take an extended restroom break then :lol:

I will offer DS a reward if he manages to stop me getting hit on the head with a ball - he is quite a good catch :D

Really looking forward to it ..... i think :unsure: :lol:

Taja
02-03-2009, 03:11 PM
You have scared me now Tink! I don't do audience participation - that seventh inning stretch sounds scary :hide: I will have to take an extended restroom break then :lol:

I will offer DS a reward if he manages to stop me getting hit on the head with a ball - he is quite a good catch :D

Really looking forward to it ..... i think :unsure: :lol:

Nothing to be scared of, Lisa. You participate or not, as you choose. No one will care if you don't--except your family! It you do take a restroom break, head out before the inning ends or you'll spend far too long in a queue! :lol:

It literally is just a tradition of standing up and stretching while singing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game." :D

lisaw
02-03-2009, 03:12 PM
I have just watched a video on Youtube - I think I can handle that :D

Tink
02-03-2009, 03:15 PM
The only thing you "have to do" without standing out is to rise for the National Anthem. :yes: Everything else is up to you! :yes:

Loads of folks don't participate in the group things. :yes:

Britchick
02-03-2009, 07:01 PM
i always do the seventh inning thing, i love baseball. You will love it i'm sure

is it tampa bay rays you are seeing? if so that was the first team we saw play the charleston riverdogs. Have also seen the atlanta braves playing the mets (i think) and the oklahoma redhawks play someone. Just about to book a riverdogs game for July.

lisaw
02-03-2009, 07:03 PM
i always do the seventh inning thing, i love baseball. You will love it i'm sure

is it tampa bay rays you are seeing? if so that was the first team we saw play the charleston riverdogs. Have also seen the atlanta braves playing the mets (i think) and the oklahoma redhawks play someone. Just about to book a riverdogs game for July.

:yes: at Tropicana Field - Daniel is beside himself :lol:

Britchick
02-03-2009, 07:07 PM
:yes: at Tropicana Field - Daniel is beside himself :lol:

tell him i found a ticket from March 31st 2002 the other day! of course he'll need a cap and a shirt etc etc lol

Tink
02-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Lisa, are you staying over or driving to and from Orlando in the same day? I ask because if you are staying over there is a Hampton Inn on Beach in St. Petes that is right near the (free) shuttle to Tropicana Field. And Ceviche is one block down. :D

We go every year to a Yankees/Rays game and stay there for those two reasons. :D :D We'll be there in October this year. :yes:

lisaw
02-03-2009, 07:16 PM
No we are driving there and back afterwards - I am quite happy driving back at night. Thank you for those suggestions though :)

lisaw
02-03-2009, 07:18 PM
tell him i found a ticket from March 31st 2002 the other day! of course he'll need a cap and a shirt etc etc lol

He is saving madly for spends for the shop but he has a shirt coming for his birthday which he doesn't know about - I'm sure there will be lots of other things for him to spend his money on though :D

Dizneyblonde
02-03-2009, 07:20 PM
What date have you booked it for Lisa?

lisaw
02-03-2009, 07:22 PM
The 15th August - our first Saturday, should be ready for a sit down by then :lol: Didn't realise I would have to do an aerobics session in the middle of the game though! :lol:

Tink
02-03-2009, 07:23 PM
You'll be fine driving. :yes: We just use the game as an excuse to stay over, walk along the pier and go to Ceviche. :D :D

Aerobics? :laugh: OOOOOOEEEE! I never thought of it that way! :laugh:

lisaw
02-03-2009, 07:34 PM
You'll be fine driving. :yes: We just use the game as an excuse to stay over, walk along the pier and go to Ceviche. :D :D

Aerobics? :laugh: OOOOOOEEEE! I never thought of it that way! :laugh:

Believe me all that stretching counts an exercise in my world! :lol:

What time would you suggest we get to the carpark? The game starts just after 7pm. I think there is stuff going on, entertainment etc. It says to get there early - but how early do you think? :unsure:

Tink
02-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Oh geez. Parking is brutal. :( I'd get there at least one full hour early. There might not be much going on and they may not even allow you to enter that early, but you'll have a miserable time parking otherwise.

You could park in St. Pete's (near the beach area/downtown) and take the free shuttle. That would allow you to arrive early, walk around St. Pete, get something to eat and not have to worry about the car park. Then when the game is over you take the shuttle back to the area you parked, and avoid all the hassle of getting out of the park.

That will all depend upon whether you want the hassle of not parking at the game! :unsure:

That helped a lot didn't it? :rolleyes: :sorry:

lisaw
02-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks Tink - we will probably play it by ear when we are there, I will make sure we have directions for the parking near the shuttle.

They are doing a car pool deal this year I notice where if there are 4 or more in a car you get free parking at the ground.

We were planning on shopping in the morning, lunch at The Cheesecake factory at Mall of Millennia and then head off to Tampa around 3ish.

Tink
02-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Oooh, I don't know. That can be one long ride, especially when there is a game on.

Sometimes things get quite backed up. You could be fine, but I'm a serious worrier, and I'd plan on leaving earlier.

Good to know about the free parking! :yes: That will be very nice for you! :yes:

lisaw
03-03-2009, 09:54 AM
I am a worrier too - we'll leave earlier :lol: :hug2:

Tink
03-03-2009, 12:09 PM
The problem is, if there is a traffic incident on the way, you will be stuck as there isn't really any other way into the Tampa/St. Pete area other than I4 (once you get past a certain point). I've missed meetings before because of those sorts of things, so I've learned to arrive early and stand around and wait. :sigh:

There are things to do there though, so if you are too early you can easily go to the pier at St. Pete's Beach and have a walk around and enjoy yourselves. :yes: